The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-01-2007, 11:01 AM
Gentry

I was a huge Diana fan from the very beginning. I just thought she was so stylish and beautiful, so English...I was really in awe of her. I was 14 when she got married and like so many people in the US, got up in the middle of night to watch her wedding on tv. I was absolutely hooked, I guess you could say. I remember going to the bookstores and pouring over all the Diana books and just admiring her. She was almost larger than life to me back then. I will always remember those early days with fondness, before the truth came out regarding her relationship with Charles and the Royal Family. I miss her very much...to this day it's almost hard to believe that she is gone, she was such a fixture in my life and in so many peoples lives.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:23 PM
Nobility

What was most surprising to me was how the people around me who were not big history fans or kept up with the royals were affected by Diana's sudden death.

My dad, a very simple, elderly man, was very much affected and suprised me the most. He was moved to tears by her death. He had joked the day before Diana died with the manager of the local grocery store in his ultra conservative small town about the big brou-ha-ha that had happened the same week regarding the cover of the National Enquirer featuring Diana on holiday.

The cover read "Di Goes Sex Mad" and the local church biddies had made the store manager either take the rags from the check-out line to the store office or they had to put pieces of blocking material so they would be comfortable in the thought young children would not see the headline right by the candy and gum.

The manager put the offending tabloid in the office and one had to stand in line to ask the office manager for the tabloid. An knowing the strict moral compass of this tiny town, I am sure the brave souls who asked for a copy were met with a look of uncomfortable judgement.

My dad had deep regret that he had made a joke out of Diana's escapades. He certainly was very concerned for her sons and felt very sad with them since he was adoring of his own mother.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:29 AM

In what way do you remember Princess Diana?

Hi everybody. Another investigation for school, could you please react?
Thanks!
Old 05-02-2009, 11:34 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz View Post
I was a huge Diana fan from the very beginning.
I admire Diana, Princess of Wales and am a fan. I thought she was beautiful and a devoted family person. She really loved her boys and I know she loved Prince Charles even after they separated. Diana was lucky materialistically, but she was damaged from her parent's divorce (mental problems) and was unlucky with close relationships. She was perfect in her public role as Princess of Wales.

I have come to the conclusion that we don't have a perfect life and to me Diana's life was tragic because she did not have more time on earth to truly become a world humanitarian and help her boys grow up.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, so true, Zonk. She packed a huge amount of living into her 37 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
IIt was and remains a terrible tragedy. Its a sad thing whenever a young person dies. But she lived a Heck of a life...and she has two great sons to show for it.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Agreed, Diana's life was like a novel. A really good one in fact.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
Agreed ghost_night. Did you get the book?
no not yet I definitely still want to but I have such a short attention span I'm trying to finish the book I bought at the airport when we left for our trip to Mexico last week. I was going to read it on the plane and pool but just totally gave up half way through..... so see what I mean? haha

Anyways back on topic! My gosh I so agree Diana lived quite a whirlwind of a life that most people don't experience even if they live to be 100!
Old 09-05-2010, 04:08 PM
Commoner

my memories are of meeting diana around 40 times whilst i lived in uk. i was always a huge fan and was thrilled the first time i met her at an engagement in bromley, kent 1989. i shook her hand and she spoke a few words but i was unable to speak...i was so thrilled to meet her. so all through the next 8 years i went to as many of her engagements as i could and did actually manage to converse with her when i got a little less nervous at meeting her! wonderful memories and i treasure the photos i have taken of her and of course the few i have of me with her. she was a wonderful person and she will never be replaced.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:06 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
Agreed, Diana's life was like a novel. A really good one in fact.
Really? Where's the happy end then? To me her life rather looked like a drama. Elaborately staged, but still.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:36 PM
Heir Apparent

You saw her 40 times. Wow! Did you ever see her wear the same outfit twice? Did you take lots of pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdi View Post
my memories are of meeting diana around 40 times whilst i lived in uk. me with her. .
Old 09-05-2010, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadder View Post
Really? Where's the happy end then? To me her life rather looked like a drama. Elaborately staged, but still.
Not all novels have a happy ending.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadder View Post
Does every novel or life always have a happy ending? No.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Diana's life was an oxymoron: a tragic romance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
Does every novel or life always have a happy ending? No.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:29 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
You saw her 40 times. Wow! Did you ever see her wear the same outfit twice? Did you take lots of pictures?
yes i did see her wear the same outfit twice...a particular green suit comes to mind and a short black and white cocktail dress also. it was a bit disappointing to see her in the same outfit as it wasn't good for the photos!! all looked the same! having said that i saw her in very nice outfits and i am so thrilled to have photo albums of my own pics of diana.
there were lots of other people who went to dianas engagements regularly and i made friends with some who i am still in touch with, which is nice. like everybody here, we loved diana and it was shocking how her life came to such a tragic end when she was certainly at her most beautiful and she seemed to be going in the right direction.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:50 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdi View Post
my memories are of meeting diana around 40 times whilst i lived in uk.
irishdi would you like to share your rare photos and memories with us on TRF?
Old 09-07-2010, 11:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

Irishdi you are so lucky thank you for sharing your memories!
Old 09-08-2010, 01:24 PM
Commoner

i hae finally managed to upload a pic of me with diana! this was taken at merchants taylors hall, london dec 1991.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	diana.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	274774  
Old 09-08-2010, 07:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

WOW! Do you remember what she said to you that day? Its almost 20 years now.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:46 PM
Serene Highness

It would have been interesting what she would have thought of Kate and Chelsey. Would she have liked them? If Prince William had decided to make Kate and Prince Harry decided to marry Chelsey, I wonder what Princess Diana's reaction would have been.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:07 AM
Administrator

We could speculate all day as to how Diana may or may not have thought or felt about this, that and the other.
Besides being outside the scope of this thread, we'll never know so it's best to avoid putting words in Diana's mouth 13 years after her death.

thanks,
Warren
British Forums moderator

Tags
diana princess of wales, princess diana