Last Hours, Death, Transfer from France, Funeral and Interment

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is not the sort of thread that I would normally contibute to.
I agree with you Iluvbertie Earl Spencer said himself that every newspaper editor had blood on his hands. I was in my early 30's when Diana died and can remember how magazines/newspapers would "fly" off the shelves if there was a picture of Diana on the front. I was never a great fan of hers , but I do believe that in a way most people were all responsible for her death because they bought the papers and magazines, being greedy for information about Diana and her private life.

The whole Diana/press/public wheel was constantly in motion: Diana needed publicity; in some strange way, a lot of us needed Diana; the papers needed to keep their readers happy. In some ways, I think that the cycle ended the only way that it could have. There would have been tragedy for someone, somewhere. I don't think that people would have lost their fascination with her. It seemed to just grow and grow, even when the news was bad. She was an industry as well as a person.

I was in my early 30's when Diana died and can remember how magazines/newspapers would "fly" off the shelves if there was a picture of Diana on the front..

The only person responsible for the death of Diana was Diana herself. She could have used a helicopter . Diana got into a car in the middle of the night to head out to who knows where and she by her own volition and without duress entered the automobile.In as much as I have affection for her person she was tragically flawed and I have written again about her bad choices again and again starting with Charles and leading to the night she desided to go out at that ungodly hour of the morning.No passing the buck here. Diana was not JFK .I am certainly not implicated here and neither is anyone outside those involved in the crash.I have no blood on my hands either from Caesar or Diana.

Last edited by a moderator:
She certainly could have afforded a helicopter ride now and then.:ermm: The one time that I remember her using a helicopter for a personal reason was when she and Dodi helicoptered in to visit a psychic that last summer. Sometimes, I think that Diana was not in control of herself or anything around her during the summer of 1997. Sad.
There was a pathology in this attention and hounding from the press Diana was getting.Certainly she could have had a copter at her disposal at anytime if it posed a security risk which it did and Diana had proved that.
I sometimes wonder if those who surrounded her were as deep as the dish water.
Trevor Rees Jones the only surviving memeber of the party in Diana's automobile was helicoptered to Britain from France if I remember correctly.

Diana was on holiday and having fun. She was foolish for not fastening her seatbelt. Another what if??? Would she had survived and been maimed? We can only guess. I sometimes wish that the British royal family would've sued the Fayhed family for wrongful death.

One of the most tragic days. Charles was there in Paris for her, despite their bitter divorce.

I think Charles went for his sons more than anything.

The only person responsible for the death of Diana was Diana herself. She could have used a helicopter .

Helicopter is an unusual mode of transport to zip about in :flowers:. The truth is that Diana was killed by speed and drink driving. The only thing she's responsible for (if she even noticed) was getting in the car with that driver.

Charles was there for his sons and for Diana. He did love her at one point.

Charles was there for his sons and for Diana. He did love her at one point.

I totally agree.

Although the marriage did not start out with the best intentions nor did it that way...at some point they were happy. There was love. Not the love that Charles has for Camilla or the love that Diana was seeking but love. There are several pictures that in my mind attest to that.

If you look at pictures of Charles when he went with Sarah and Jane to view and bring back the body, he was devastated. For about six months to a year prior to her death, Diana and Charles were getting on VERY well. They were becoming friends and they had two children to raise. He was torn up about her death for his sons as well as the death of a friend.

Zonk, Prince Charles was worried about appearances to his subjects. I think that was a reason for him to go to Paris an well as his love for Diana, Princess of Wales. I read somewhere that he wanted to remember the young, inexperienced girl before the problems. :ermm:

I agree. It was the time for the men in her life to step forward and take care of her. I wasn't crazy about HRH the Duke of Edinburgh in her procession, but everything else was done tastefully.

Diana and the Duke had some helpful correspondence over the years; although, given that they're both passionate people, they could have been quite nasty about each other at times. I believe that he was in the procession as support for William and Harry and not as Diana's former father-in-law.

I agree. It was the time for the men in her life to step forward and take care of her. I wasn't crazy about HRH the Duke of Edinburgh in her procession, but everything else was done tastefully.

I think it's also important to remember that, whatever misery Charles and Diana caused each other, Charles was the father of Diana's sons. The boys were obviously too young to make the trip themselves, and so it makes sense that their father should go instead.

I read somewhere that he wanted to remember the young, inexperienced girl before the problems. :ermm:

One of the most tragic days. Charles was there in Paris for her, despite their bitter divorce.
Charles did love Diana a lot. But he just could not take it like JFK did with Jackie's fame- He loved her because he chose her as a wife and made a success of it while they were together- He knew he loved her and I have read that he has had her marriage band soldered inside his ring and wears it.With Diana I think he realized he he had everything and could forgive and go with everything she did because she was special and charismatic.Together they covered all ground and I think he was thankful of that.Itis rumoured thatwhen he flew to Paris and they took the sheet off Diana's corpse and revealed a naked corpse Charles fainted. He asked that a gown be sent from the English embassy to clothe her properly as she was to be transported back to England.
Charles did love Diana and she was everything to him because she gave him life, passion and progeny and everything in life he will no longer have ever.He faced a bit of his own mortality through her death And I think he realized that Diana came to his life for a host of truly special reasons that day she departed for Upper Jerusalem and ever after. Amen

Slightly off topic, here...but sometimes I wonder how different Charles would have been if his grandfather had lived longer and his mother would have had more time with her young family. Perhaps he could have learned from George VI what an asset a charming and charismatic wife could be.:flowers:

Slightly off topic, here...but sometimes I wonder how different Charles would have been if his grandfather had lived longer and his mother would have had more time with her young family. Perhaps he could have learned from George VI what an asset a charming and charismatic wife could be.:flowers:
What an excellent point you have brought up. That hypothesis about what an assest a wife can be is something I never thought of - thank you It is really something to contemplte regarding Charles and Diana.
When Charles realized what an asset Diana was i think it was too late.

Mermaid that sounds wonderful.

But I have read that Prince Charles was raise by nannies and the Queen Mom. He loved his grandmother's charm and charisma. I think Prince Charles hated when Diana, Princess of Wales got the press and subjects attention and not him. Because I was not a fly on the wall during their walkabouts I can not tell if Princess Diana purposely upstaged the prince. Or whether the prince and princess fought for the limelight. I do know that the prince and the duchess seem to go on walkabouts without competing and seem happy together.:ermm:

I wasn't crazy about HRH the Duke of Edinburgh in her procession, but everything else was done tastefully.

I read somewhere he did that because William did not want to walk and his grandfather said you should, and I will walk with you to support you, so i think it was more for the boys-I personally understood why Charles Spencer walked but wasn't crazy about it-

Last edited:
:previous: It was explained in one of the last chapters of Elizabeth and Philip: A Royal Marriage by Gyles Brandreth.

I don't have my book with me at the moment, but according to the author, William was upset by the idea of a funeral procession because he felt that they were holding "a bloody parade" to celebrate his mother's death. Philip tried to reassure him and told William, "You might regret it later if you don't walk. If I walk, will you walk with me?"

Philip was probably drawing on his own experience attending the funeral of his sister Cecilie when he was just a teenager when he counseled William.

When did it happen? Was his sister married at that time?

When did it happen?Was his sister married at that time?

Princess Cecilie died on 16th November 1937 in an aeroplane accident. She was married Georg Donatus, Hereditary Grand Duke of Hesse. Cecilie died with her husband, two young sons, mother-in-law and the baby she was carrying.

Princess Cecilie died on 16th November 1937 in an aeroplane accident. She was married Georg Donatus, Hereditary Grand Duke of Hesse. Cecilie died with her husband, two young sons, mother-in-law and the baby she was carrying.
That's terrible!Then I understand the empatic feelings of Prince Phillip when the tragical Princess Diana's death happened

In the early years of the marriage, they were quite cooperative. Charles was the leader at the beginning and directed and supported Diana when she was learning. Some of this can be seen on early videos on YouTube. He'd touch her back or you can hear him calling her name when someone wanted her attention. It was quite sweet to see. The "upstaging" didn't start in earnest until the late 80s IMO.

Because I was not a fly on the wall during their walkabouts I can not tell if Princess Diana purposely upstaged the prince. Or whether the prince and princess fought for the limelight.

I think that the Duke probably understood Diana more than she realized. He also had separated parents. His upbringing was even harder in a way, because he wasn't even raised by his own parents and he had no money of his own; unlike Diana, who had her own money through inheritance as a young woman and could spend time with her parents.

That's terrible!Then I understand the empatic feelings of Prince Phillip when the tragical Princess Diana's death happened

I think that the Duke probably understood Diana more than she realized. He also had separated parents. His upbringing was even harder in a way, because he wasn't even raised by his own parents and he had no money of his own; unlike Diana, who had her own money through inheritance as a young woman and could spend time with her parents.

I think the press presents this image of Philip as the stern disciplinarian who disapproves of everything, but he was a lot more like Diana than anyone remembered. After his mother had a breakdown and was institutionalized, his father ran off to Monte Carlo and his sisters were all married with their own families. Philip ended up in boarding schools and a succession of different relatives.

His uncle George Milford Haven helped provide some guidance, but he died of cancer at a relatively young age. Philip reportedly told people that his favorite sister was Cecilie and he enjoyed visiting her and Georg Donatus on his school breaks. Then they died when he was just 16. Their funeral was also the first time he saw his parents again, but it was probably the last time he saw his father.

And just like Diana, Philip had his own problems with courtiers who did not approve of him when he married into the family. There's the story of the courtier who tried to tell him the history of Windsor Castle, and finally Philip cut him off by stating that his mother, Princess Alice, was actually born there.

I have read that he has had her marriage band soldered inside his ring and wears it.With Diana I think he realized he he had everything and could forgive and go with everything she did because she was special and charismatic.Together they covered all ground and I think he was thankful of that.Itis rumoured thatwhen he flew to Paris and they took the sheet off Diana's corpse and revealed a naked corpse Charles fainted. He asked that a gown be sent from the English embassy to clothe her properly as she was to be transported back to England.
May I ask what is your source for the soldering of the ring story? I find it highly unlikely that Charles is walking around wearing Diana's wedding band. Also, I have never read anything about Charles fainting at the sight of Diana's corpse.

May I ask what is your source for the soldering of the ring story? I find it highly unlikely that Charles is walking around wearing Diana's wedding band. Also, I have never read anything about Charles fainting at the sight of Diana's corpse.

A rare event Scooter - I too have never heard these stories.

Charles did wear his own wedding band from his marriage to Diana until he married Camilla but as far as I am aware no longer wears the one he had with Diana.

I also have never heard of him fainting when he saw Diana but have heard that he insisted on a dress for her to take her home.

I have heard (read somewhere) that he didn't faint...but kind of gasped in shock. More like a realization that she was dead when he say the body.

I read that Prince Charles when he saw Diana, Princess of Wales in the hospital after she died. He made a horrible sound and almost fainted. Paul Burell I believe did almost fainted when he saw her because the fan keeping the room made her eye lashes and hair move.

What I remember is Prince Charles wanting earring on the princess because she never left home without her earrings. Also that he wanted the public to see here outside the hospital. So they left through the front doors instead of the roof in a helicopter.:sad:

Also I read that he did wear Princess Diana's wedding band until he got married again.

Coincidentally, I was just reading Christopher Anderson's "Diana's Boys"; and he writes that witnesses said that Charles head "snapped back" and he emitted a terrible noise.

I read that Prince Charles when he saw Diana, Princess of Wales in the hospital after she died. He made a horrible sound and almost fainted.

Back
Top Bottom