The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-31-2017, 11:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I've read in some medical journal in the days and weeks immediately following the tragedy that directly massaging the heart, as was reportedly done by rescuers who responded to the accident and by ambulance personnel on the way to hospital might have actually made things worse. The tear in the pulmonary artery was bleeding out and cardiac massage would have made it worse.

I really don't see how there was any hope of saving her life unless she had been operated on within minutes of impact which of course was impossible given the circumstances.

There is simply no way at all to diagnose such a severe internal injury like Diana's in the field, none.
IIRC there was an interview with Diana's mother where Frances said that she was told later by the medical staff that even if the accident had occurred in the hospital parking lot Diana still would have died - the damage was that severe.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I thought that they didn't realise she had internal bleeding. However Im quite prepared to believe that she had good care, and that they had to stop to do whatever was necessary to stop her from dying of heart failure in the ambulance. I don't generaly subscribe to conspiracy theories...
They didn't realize it initially when they were checking the occupants of the car. However once she was removed from the car, her blood pressure plummeted and she went into cardiac arrest. The doctor who accompanied the ambulance crew realized this was likely due to internal bleeding.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:18 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS3514 View Post
IIRC there was an interview with Diana's mother where Frances said that she was told later by the medical staff that even if the accident had occurred in the hospital parking lot Diana still would have died - the damage was that severe.
These kind of situations is what makes emergency service work so stressful. Its a profession that takes quick mental assessment skills and quick action knowing that the outcome is never a guaranteed positive one. Its being put into a situation where even the best of human assistance just isn't enough.

I think with this discussion, we can realize more why William was so dedicated to his work with SAR and EAAA and the importance of being able to work seamlessly as a team when they're called out on a incident. Split second decisions can mean the difference between life and death and it takes a certain mindset to be able to work effectively and quickly to get done what needs to be done and to process what they've seen. These people see things that they really wish no one ever had to see.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 05-29-2018, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Looks like The Infanta Pilar of Spain sitting beside Princess Margriet of the Netherlands near Hillary Clinton in this video from the funeral of Diana.

Old 06-30-2018, 12:53 PM
Gentry

Does anyone know why all the royal family attended Diana's funeral? After all, she was divorced from Charles and in a normal scenario you would not expect all your ex-husbands family to attend your funeral.
Old 06-30-2018, 12:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Since it was a state funeral of course the RF were goig to attend...
Old 06-30-2018, 09:17 PM
Majesty

She was also the mother of the Heir's heirs.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal_enthusiast View Post
Does anyone know why all the royal family attended Diana's funeral? After all, she was divorced from Charles and in a normal scenario you would not expect all your ex-husbands family to attend your funeral.
Never underestimate the state of importance of who Diana was and her funeral arrangement. Once the future Queen consort, Mother of the second and third in line to the throne. The People’s Princess, global icon and humanitarian. The whole world was at that funeral.

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-30-2018, 10:27 PM
Majesty

Yes, Dman. I think you are quite right. There was a lot of symbolism on display that week and it includes the funeral turnout.
Old 07-01-2018, 02:09 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Since it was a state funeral of course the RF were goig to attend...
It was not a state funeral.
Old 07-01-2018, 02:50 AM
Heir Apparent

In essence it was. THe RF organised it, it was using the palns for the Q mother's funeral, and it was because Diana was a former royal and a public figure...
Old 07-01-2018, 02:52 AM
Majesty

Quote:
In essence it was. THe RF organised it, it was using the palns for the Q mother's funeral, and it was because Diana was a former royal and a public figure...
I am afraid the former Princess did not have a state funeral. The Queen Mother did, as did Margaret Thatcher.

The Princess had a "unique" funeral reflecting her "unique" position as the mother of a future King, and the former wife of another future King.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

The last state funeral in the UK was in 1965 for Winston Churchill and that was an exception to the rule that state funerals are reserved for monarchs.

Diana's funeral was based on the plans already established for the Queen Mother's funeral but it was by no means a state funeral.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_...United_Kingdom
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

Old 07-01-2018, 04:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
The last state funeral in the UK was in 1965 for Winston Churchill and that was an exception to the rule that state funerals are reserved for monarchs.

Diana's funeral was based on the plans already established for the Queen Mother's funeral but it was by no means a state funeral.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_...United_Kingdom
It was in essence. otherwise She would have been buried privately by her family, and not had a public dimension an the RF would not have been there...
Old 07-01-2018, 05:25 AM
Gentry

I loved Diana and thought the funeral was very appropriate and moving. In a normal scenario having all your ex-husbands family at your funeral would be unusual but Diana was the mother of a future King and given it was a royal funeral it would be protocol for all the royal family to attend. If I’m right I don’t believe it was a royal ceremonial funeral as there was no lying in state or military procession. Do you know which royals are entitled to a royal ceremonial funeral?
Old 07-01-2018, 06:58 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal_enthusiast View Post
If I’m right I don’t believe it was a royal ceremonial funeral as there was no lying in state or military procession. Do you know which royals are entitled to a royal ceremonial funeral?
Definitely the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh are.

A day of Diana's funeral, was not a day off from work, was it?
Old 07-01-2018, 07:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

Regardless of the technicalities of what kind of a funeral Diana's was, what did happen was a funeral befitting of the person that she was. She was a part of the British royal family for years and worked for their "Firm". She was mother to a future king and even after the divorce, she brought attention to causes and issues that needed to be addressed and was loved by the people.

They made the right decision to have the funeral that they did for her. As the funeral was held on a Saturday, it wasn't a bank holiday where people got the day off work. I would imagine though that a lot of people that perhaps did have to work called in sick that day.

According to Wiki, Diana's funeral was not a state funeral but a royal ceremonial funeral.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funera..._Wales#Funeral

Old 07-01-2018, 08:23 AM
Gentry

Is it pretty safe to say that Sarah, Duchess of York even though she is the mother of two blood princesses would not be accorded a royal funeral?
Old 07-01-2018, 08:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
Definitely the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh are.

A day of Diana's funeral, was not a day off from work, was it?
It was on a Saturday.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think the Queen and Prince Philip might have attended even if it had been a private funeral, simply to be of support to their grandsons.

Tags
althorp, diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, dodi fayed, paris, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana, westminster abbey