The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-23-2017, 05:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
well Osipi we're getting a bit OT here I suppose but you've just said it.. if Harry IS feeling an emotional rush about his Mum's death now, with the 20th Anniversary coming up, that's understandable.. and its good problaby for him to talk about it.. but to FRIENDS, to his brother, his girlfriend.. even his dad and grandparents. (or a therapist) NOOOT to the press. let Di be remembered for her sweet nature and her love for her boys, not for the rows that erupted.
Agree 100%. Well said. That was the issue with Diana. It is never a good sign when anyone starts to use the public as a shoulder to confide in. But in this instance, I'm not sure that is what Harry is doing. His motives are not clear (to me).

Old 06-24-2017, 02:19 AM
Heir Apparent

The motives may become clearer to all of us when these documentaries for the 20th anniversary appear. What the brothers say, and perhaps more importantly how they say it, will be interesting I'm sure.

Old 06-24-2017, 02:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
In some cultures its considered uncouth to speak ill of the dead. I wish someone could wave a magic wand and cause a change in mass consciousness in this regards. Mine's in the shop.
again we are probably a bit OT, but while it is IMO wrong/unkind to speak ill of people who have just died, becuase they can't defend themselves and their families are at their most sad, it can't be the case as a permanet thing surely? If someone is a public figure and is "up for discussion", their faults are as much a part of their lives as their good points, so I think there's a point when one can discuss their faults provided it is done fairly and witout malice.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:49 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Gracefully put, thanks Osipi..

I think that the Princes' Stepmother has 'the right idea' in her silence, discretion and tact...
NO-ONE can use or misinterpret words left unsaid ! x
So amen to that !
My impression after a round of British media is that Prince Harry, who boosted his profile with the Invictus project, has now a sort of "there we go again" effect.

If I was Prince Harry's counsel, I would retreat here and keep a distance indeed. His deeply beloved mother is no more in our world. Bless her memory. And let the Princess rest in peace. Even "modern monarchy" can not do without some distance and indeed 'mystique'.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:54 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Diana's brother says royal officials LIED to him that William and Harry wanted to walk behind their mother's coffin as he claims there have been four break-in attempts at her grave

Old 07-26-2017, 10:41 AM
Courtier

Another version of the article--

Diana’s Brother, Earl Spencer: The Palace Lied to Me About William and Harry
Old 07-26-2017, 10:47 AM
Heir Apparent

I listened to the podcast made of Earl Spencer's interview on the BBC. I've never liked the man and I think he's a hypocrite. However that does not necessarily mean that he is lying when he says that he was lied to by courtiers and told that the boys wanted to walk when it is obvious they didn't. Who asked/told them to walk, and why?
Old 07-26-2017, 11:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I listened to the podcast made of Earl Spencer's interview on the BBC. I've never liked the man and I think he's a hypocrite. However that does not necessarily mean that he is lying when he says that he was lied to by courtiers and told that the boys wanted to walk when it is obvious they didn't. Who asked/told them to walk, and why?
I don't know. I know it's what royals do for major royal funerals though. It's why thought it was appropriate and touching. I was wrong.

A.W. TOZER
Old 07-26-2017, 11:41 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Diana's brother says royal officials LIED to him that William and Harry wanted to walk behind their mother's coffin as he claims there have been four break-in attempts at her grave

If he wanted to protect her, why did he deny her a house on Althorp after her divorce?
Old 07-26-2017, 11:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

I have never been a big Earl Spencer fan. I just see him as someone that can't be taken on his word. (just a feeling) So I'm not sure what I believe on this latest bit of information. And I agree duchessrachel, I often wondered why Diana didn't return to Althorp.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:10 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess gertrude View Post
I have never been a big Earl Spencer fan. I just see him as someone that can't be taken on his word. (just a feeling) So I'm not sure what I believe on this latest bit of information. And I agree duchessrachel, I often wondered why Diana didn't return to Althorp.
The Earl knew that offering accomodation to Diana meant that the serenity of Althorp would be passé. The estate would be besieged by media -it was the height of the media witch hunt- and probably he thought that it really would not be too strange to expect that proper accomodation would be provided for the mother of the future King, by the high and the mighty.

Giving Diana a housing at Althorp means: easy solution for the royal family and the Government, and the burden was for the Earl's account. He was wise enough to keep distance.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:25 PM
Majesty

Right. Otherwise, there would be no objective history.

Quote:
If someone is a public figure and is "up for discussion", their faults are as much a part of their lives as their good points, so I think there's a point when one can discuss their faults provided it is done fairly and witout malice.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The Earl knew that offering accomodation to Diana meant that the serenity of Althorp would be passé. The estate would be besieged by media -it was the height of the media witch hunt- and probably he thought that it really would not be too strange to expect that proper accomodation would be provided for the mother of the future King, by the high and the mighty.

Giving Diana a housing at Althorp means: easy solution for the royal family and the Government, and the burden was for the Earl's account. He was wise enough to keep distance.
That was my recollection as well, that Althorp could not accommodate the craziness that was Diana's life at the time. Security costs alone would have been astronomical.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:40 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
If he wanted to protect her, why did he deny her a house on Althorp after her divorce?
IIRC, he did offer her a house on the estate that was away from the front gate and deep into the private area away from the tourists who had been welcome since the 1970s. She, however, wanted a different house on the estate that was closer to the public area and therefore much harder to secure. That's what I remember from what was published before her death - it may or may not be fully accurate.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:33 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS3514 View Post
IIRC, he did offer her a house on the estate that was away from the front gate and deep into the private area away from the tourists who had been welcome since the 1970s. She, however, wanted a different house on the estate that was closer to the public area and therefore much harder to secure. That's what I remember from what was published before her death - it may or may not be fully accurate.
I just read the book "Diana: Her True Story" and what I remember is that he had offered it to her but then took it back. I may be completely off because it has been awhile since I read it. If I am wrong I certainly don't want to spread disinformation. Hopefully someone can clear this up.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
I just read the book "Diana: Her True Story" and what I remember is that he had offered it to her but then took it back. I may be completely off because it has been awhile since I read it. If I am wrong I certainly don't want to spread disinformation. Hopefully someone can clear this up.
yes he did offer her a house and took ti back but that was because he was worrying about paparazzi being around the estate and her PPOs were concerned that the particular house was too close to the walls to be secrure. He offered her other houses but Diana took offence and felt angry and refused his offers.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
yes he did offer her a house and took ti back but that was because he was worrying about paparazzi being around the estate and her PPOs were concerned that the particular house was too close to the walls to be secrure. He offered her other houses but Diana took offence and felt angry and refused his offers.
Again Diana being unreasonable and throwing a fit but some people find a way to still blame Charles Spencer for the situation. Them not being on speaking terms is no reflection on him because Diana was always not speaking to somebody.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-27-2017, 10:43 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Diana wasn't known for being the most rational of people to deal with. When presented with reasons why the place that she requested wasn't such a wise idea and offered something else that would afford more privacy, it was her way or the highway and the highway it was with a whole lot of resentment from not getting what she wanted in the first place.

Had she been a bit more rational about things, she may have come to see that it made sense to have another place on the property. Then again, if she had been a bit more rational, she never would have given up her personal protection either. Lets just say that Diana was rash when it came to making decisions sometimes.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

yes well I think that she was in a very bad place at times during the last few years, hardly surprisingly. She felt that Charles S had offered the house and then gone back on it..and was feeling that the whole world was against her.
I think he could have been more tactful and checked out the idea of whether that house was a good idea first... but Diana was on a hair trigger and was unreasonable. However I am not happy with CS's "mouthing off" so often about his sister.. which IMO can only serve to please the meida who want controversy...
but clearly DuchessRachel has read a biased view of the story from Diana HTS and I was just pointing out that it was a bit more complex than Morton's version.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

Diana was always in a bad place, she had horrible relationships with various people throughout her life and was known to be vindictive even as a child. That horrible place she was in lasted for a few decades.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012

Tags
althorp, diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, dodi fayed, paris, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana, westminster abbey