The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-02-2017, 01:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
I get what people are saying about in general about Margaret and her personality and shortcomings, but I don't see her behavior as egregiously wrong. Diana at the time of her death was her nephew's ex-wife and, while neighbors, they were not chummy at that time. If these were JPFs (just plain folks) Margaret could've stayed on her vacation and sent flowers and a card, but instead she had to cut a vacation short due to the death of someone she was not close to and she likely spent the days leading up to the funeral watching television where her sister and the BRF were bashed for being cold, out-of-touch and mistreating Diana.
but they are not "just plain folks". they are the royal family and they're supposed to behave with good breeding and to do things that are not always expected of ordinary people.
I don't believe that anyone in the RF except Charles and the boys were that grieved, but they showed proper respect for someone who had died tragically young, was the mother of Charles's children, and had been part fo the family...

Old 04-02-2017, 02:18 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
but they are not "just plain folks". they are the royal family and they're supposed to behave with good breeding and to do things that are not always expected of ordinary people.
I don't believe that anyone in the RF except Charles and the boys were that grieved, but they showed proper respect for someone who had died tragically young, was the mother of Charles's children, and had been part fo the family...
At least Margaret was not hypocritical, unlike too many on that day.

Old 04-02-2017, 02:32 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Many people die young and younger than her.

She had no personal connection. The other royals did. Philip and Elizabeth went because it was their grandsons mother. Philip walked not out of respect for a woman who nearly destroyed their family in their minds, but in support of his grandsons. The other kids she was their aunt. That is a bond.

For Margaret she was her sisters ex daughter in law. There was no real relationship. Being the mother of her great nephews in itself doesn't automatically earn you resoect. Just because your son is the future king, doesn't mean people have to forget all you have done.

If Diana hadn't been the do called People's princess she would have had a private funeral, that a few royaks workd attend for the sake of her kids. Even as the mother of a future king. And no one would bat an eyelash at it.

If any Royal ex died tomorrow, would we expect a royal funeral with a huge Royal contingent? I highly doubt it.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

She was not a "royal ex" she was the mother of a future King. She had been part of their family for many years. She was enormously well loved. And yes when someone dies you "forget and forgive their faults" at least for the duration of the funeral....
Old 04-02-2017, 03:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Many people die young and younger than her.

She had no personal connection. The other royals did. Philip and Elizabeth went because it was their grandsons mother. Philip walked not out of respect for a woman who nearly destroyed their family in their minds, but in support of his grandsons. The other kids she was their aunt. That is a bond.

For Margaret she was her sisters ex daughter in law. There was no real relationship. Being the mother of her great nephews in itself doesn't automatically earn you resoect. Just because your son is the future king, doesn't mean people have to forget all you have done.

If Diana hadn't been the do called People's princess she would have had a private funeral, that a few royaks workd attend for the sake of her kids. Even as the mother of a future king. And no one would bat an eyelash at it.

If any Royal ex died tomorrow, would we expect a royal funeral with a huge Royal contingent? I highly doubt it.
Everything was different for Diana's passing. She was the former Princess of Wales, former future Queen, mother of the future King and pretty beloved by the people. This all put her death on another level.

Also, Diana did not nearly "destroy" the royal family. The family has been through much worser times than an publicized separation and divorce. The media hype made it seem like it was the end of days.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-02-2017, 03:58 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
She was not a "royal ex" she was the mother of a future King. She had been part of their family for many years. She was enormously well loved. And yes when someone dies you "forget and forgive their faults" at least for the duration of the funeral....
Right. But i guess some members of the BRF felt they were a bit pushed into some very public display by Tony "people's princess" Blair.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Right. But i guess some members of the BRF felt they were a bit pushed into some very public display by Tony "people's princess" Blair.
People can say what they want about Tony Blair, but I think he put things just right at the time. I have a problem with the guy over the Iraq war, but he did what was right in the aftermath of Diana's passing.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-02-2017, 04:16 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
People can say what they want about Tony Blair, but I think he put things just right at the time. I have a problem with the guy over the Iraq war, but he did what was right in the aftermath of Diana's passing.
I disagree. He acted like a politician, with opportunism. As such he went against the family wishes for a private mourning and offered, litteraly, a grieving BRF to the public.
At least they had their revenge when he was not invited to the Royal wedding in 2011...
Old 04-02-2017, 04:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I disagree. He acted like a politician, with opportunism. As such he went against the family wishes for a private mourning and offered, litteraly, a grieving BRF to the public.
At least they had their revenge when he was not invited to the Royal wedding in 2011...
There was a private mourning by the family. They paid their respects to Diana in private, but there had to be a public memorial. Diana was a popular senior royal for sixteen years, traveled around the world and touched many people's lives. The public wanted to pay tribute to her and they did so. The public also can back together to pay tribute to her during the tenth anniversary of her death with the concert and memorial service.

I don't think the royal family have anything against Blair over the funeral, but a lot of harsh feelings over the Iraq war.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-02-2017, 05:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
what wishes for a private mourning? Di's family did wish for a private funeral but when they saw the crowds they realised that they could not deny the public a chance to say goodbye to Diana.. and that she was, as well as being their sister, a beloved public figure. THe RF didn't wish IMO for any mourning.. and if it hadn't been for Blair, they woud have been very very unpopular..
Old 04-02-2017, 05:38 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
what wishes for a private mourning? Di's family did wish for a private funeral but when they saw the crowds they realised that they could not deny the public a chance to say goodbye to Diana.. and that she was, as well as being their sister, a beloved public figure. THe RF didn't wish IMO for any mourning.. and if it hadn't been for Blair, they woud have been very very unpopular..
So you're saying that the Spencers chose the public funerals ?
Now that's new !
Old 04-02-2017, 05:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think that they felt that it was the only reasonable opton. and the RF realised that they had to be involved as they could organise a "state type " funeral based on plans for the Q Mother's funeral. I'd assume that Charles Spencer and Charles POW talked itover too.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Both the Spencer's and royal family thought of a private memorial service, but once they saw the public wanted to pay their respects too, the only option was to put together a major funeral service. It was the right way to go.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-02-2017, 07:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

It wasn't what the public wanted but what the media were demanding.

When it was first announced that she had died the public blamed the media for her deaths with calls towards reporters etc at KP of 'killers' and 'murderers'.

The press was then faced with three options:

1. Do nothing and be blamed for her death with the resultant downturn in revenue
2. Turn the blame onto others - Diana herself for not wearing a seatbelt - couldn't do that as Blair had already hijacked the mourning with his 'People's Princess' comment and the public were taking him at his word
3. Blame the royal family who they knew would never fight back and so they turned the public against the BRF (and many have not come back since then). The media kept up the pressure on the BRF with the flag issue (a flag on BP never flies at half-mast - it didn't for George VI or George V or Edward VII or Victoria but the Queen was forced to allow it for Diana), the headlines of 'where is she' and photos of the Queen - who was doing what any good grandmother should have been doing - helping her grandsons cope with the death of their mother. Any other employer would have allowed a grandmother, in similar circumstances where the grandsons were staying with the grandmother and heard that their mother had died, to take a week to be with them but not the British and world press and the British public - they demanded that their needs were more important than the needs of William and Harry. I remember Philip's comment when they did return to London and someone in the crowd called out 'make sure you take care of those boys' and he came back with 'what do you think we have been doing?'

The press and the public were out of control and there were real fears that there would have been an attack - particularly on Charles - during the funeral.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

Please note that a number of posts have been deleted as they were off-topic.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

SEBASTIAN SHAKESPEARE: Feuds behind Diana's funeral | Daily Mail Online

New doc of Diana's passing.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-27-2017, 11:59 AM
Majesty

"A forthcoming TV documentary has prompted a furious response from Diana’s brother, Earl Spencer, 53, who is demanding changes to the programme before it is broadcast."
Old 05-27-2017, 12:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

I don't know why, when it comes to stories about Diana's life and passing, there's an incredible amount of lies involved. It's like she's been turned into a blank canvas; used for anyone to paint their hearts out.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-27-2017, 06:29 PM
Majesty

Yes, but I think that this was a continuation of how Diana was viewed during her life. This was especially true during her early years in the Royal Family. When she was with Charles on tours or on engagements at home, he made the speeches. People could see in her what they wanted to see, because we didn't know much about what she was like behind the scenes. It wasn't until Diana started making heart-felt speeches in the 90s--which were a bit too heart-felt at times--we didn't really know how she felt about things. That changed with the Panorama Interview.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Yes, but I think that this was a continuation of how Diana was viewed during her life. This was especially true during her early years in the Royal Family. When she was with Charles on tours or on engagements at home, he made the speeches. People could see in her what they wanted to see, because we didn't know much about what she was like behind the scenes. It wasn't until Diana started making heart-felt speeches in the 90s--which were a bit too heart-felt at times--we didn't really know how she felt about things. That changed with the Panorama Interview.
When did the public 'know' (for certain, I know it was long speculated) that Diana was behind the Morton book? Because that was certainly Diana telling how she felt about things. I view that book as her first 'interview' that began the whole unravelling.

Tags
althorp, diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, dodi fayed, paris, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana, westminster abbey