The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-26-2016, 04:27 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
To be honest, most times the Diana discussion threads lie dormant until someone new comes along and bumps them alive again and everything is repeated over and over and over again ad nauseum. It just is the way it goes I guess.

If you go back to the start of this thread, you'll realize that it was started in 2003. That's 13 years ago. It also is kind of telling of how well this forum is run and maintained. Very excellent in my book.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 05-26-2016, 05:38 PM
Royal Highness

It's not just someone new who starts the Diana threads up !!!

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 05-26-2016, 05:44 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
It's not just someone new who starts the Diana threads up !!!
OOOPS! Me bad. Sorry 'bout that royal rob.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 05-27-2016, 11:29 AM
Serene Highness

well sorry, I like Diana and would like to have an interesting discussion about her, but in other areas on the Net, I've found that there is so much one sided emotional posting, that it becomes impossible.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:31 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
well sorry, I like Diana and would like to have an interesting discussion about her, but in other areas on the Net, I've found that there is so much one sided emotional posting, that it becomes impossible.
Nothing to be sorry about. I liked Diana too and enjoy discussing the various aspects of this woman in the various threads here and I think one of the best aspects of TRF is that posters mostly stick to facts and constructive criticism without going over the top and flaming people just because they can which happens too often in other places.
― John Lennon
Old 05-27-2016, 03:33 PM
Majesty

I like Diana as well, and I'm always happy to see that the threads about have been "bumped up." On occasion, I think that people come on here expecting to heroine-worship her and/or demonize her and/or the BRF and then be able to slam those who disagree with whatever their point of view is. Generally, if the conversation gets heated, I back off for awhile. I have no desire to get into arguments or score points. I like to think that my view of Diana is balanced. As long as people are reasonable, I'll take part in conversations.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:40 AM
Serene Highness

Im glad that people are reasonable here and i DO like Diana and want to discuss her, without some people wildly insisting that she was an angel and Charles etc are demons. (or vice versa). but I felt taht the RF didn't show much grief at her death and that saddens me, whatever her faults were, she was a mother, she was a good person. And I am glad she had a public funeral.. her burial was private as was proper, but she had a "good send off"....
Old 05-29-2016, 07:58 PM
Majesty

William Shawcross, in his biography of the Queen Mother (which I'm reading at the moment) quotes someone was saying that the Queen was completely in charge of what was happening with William and Harry. So even if she wasn't with them, she organized those who were with them at any time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Of course it was good that the Queen and Prince Philip were there. However, I don't know how many hours were dedicated specifically to their grandsons.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:00 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Earl Spencer could have buried her in St Mary's Church where 19 generations of Spencer's are buried including her father.
I remember a report that said St. Mary's Church no longer allows full burials - only the placing of ashes. Diana's will stated that she wanted to be buried, not cremated, so burial at the church was never an option.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:06 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS3514 View Post
I remember a report that said St. Mary's Church no longer allows full burials - only the placing of ashes. Diana's will stated that she wanted to be buried, not cremated, so burial at the church was never an option.
I don't know of that Laura but it may be true. I believe that Di's father's ashes were placed there.
But I think that for her to be buried or ashes placed somewhere like the church was just never an option.. it would have caused havoc...
Old 08-11-2016, 12:00 AM
Imperial Majesty

Ken Wharfe says the blame for Diana's death lies with her bodyguard | Daily Mail Online

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-11-2016, 01:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Of course the bodyguard should have insisted on safety procedures being followed like seatbelts clipped on for everyone, speed limits being kept to and a sober driver. However, as we know, there are limits to what a private employee can insist on if the employer's son and his companion want to do their own thing. Diana specifically got rid of her RPOs in order that she do exactly that, and we all know the tragic consequences.

I don't know why Mr Wharfe insists on flogging dead horses in this way. I bought his book on Diana, 'Closely Guarded Secret' and it was very entertaining and so forth, but that was decades ago, and the last time he guarded Diana was even further in the past. Please Ken, give the dead Diana, and us, a break!
Old 08-11-2016, 03:22 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Of course the bodyguard should have insisted on safety procedures being followed like seatbelts clipped on for everyone, speed limits being kept to and a sober driver. However, as we know, there are limits to what a private employee can insist on if the employer's son and his companion want to do their own thing. Diana specifically got rid of her RPOs in order that she do exactly that, and we all know the tragic consequences.

I don't know why Mr Wharfe insists on flogging dead horses in this way. I bought his book on Diana, 'Closely Guarded Secret' and it was very entertaining and so forth, but that was decades ago, and the last time he guarded Diana was even further in the past. Please Ken, give the dead Diana, and us, a break!
Diana died because she didn't have the proper security around her. Diana wasn't in control of that security detail in Paris. Dodi and his father was. She was put in a bad position, which Ken and other security officers who worked for her understood. Mr. Wharfe is just highlighting that part.

Now, I don't understand the need to dive back into Diana's love life like he's doing though. Leave it in the past where it belongs.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-11-2016, 03:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

It is history and so will be debated and discussed for centuries to come. She put it into the public domain and the consequence is that it will be analysed and people are entitled to do just that with a public figure, especially one who is dead and has been dead for close on a generation now (students leaving school now weren't born when she died remember).
Old 08-11-2016, 03:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Diana died because she didn't have the proper security around her. Diana wasn't in control of that security detail in Paris. Dodi and his father was. She was put in a bad position, which Ken and other security officers who worked for her understood. Mr. Wharfe is just highlighting that part.

Now, I don't understand the need to dive back into Diana's love life like he's doing though. Leave it in the past where it belongs.
I agree. As far as I can tell there is nothing new here. All the details of the events leading up to and immediately after the accident were worked over at the inquest and a finding about causation made. We all know what happened. (I am ignoring the conspiracy theorists.) All the available information about Diana's love life are set out in various books. We all know about it. There is nothing to be achieved by publishing Wharfe's old book in a newspaper now. Diana's sons don't need this and neither does anyone else. Anyone who wants to know about the accident or Diana's love life can read the books already published or the transcript of the inquest. It doesn't need to be in the newspaper. I find it most distasteful.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:10 PM
Serene Highness

This is news?
Old 08-11-2016, 12:18 PM
Majesty

Perhaps to a lot of us here that avidly take an interest in royalty, royal history and royal personages it seems like dredging up old and stale tidbits that we've heard about and have discussed until the cows come home but there is an upside to it. Keeping the information alive and available (the good, the bad and the ugly) serves as what could be a springboard into a very deep pool for someone just starting to be curious about Diana, for example, and the many facets of her life.
― John Lennon
Old 08-11-2016, 01:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Perhaps to a lot of us here that avidly take an interest in royalty, royal history and royal personages it seems like dredging up old and stale tidbits that we've heard about and have discussed until the cows come home but there is an upside to it. Keeping the information alive and available (the good, the bad and the ugly) serves as what could be a springboard into a very deep pool for someone just starting to be curious about Diana, for example, and the many facets of her life.
I understand that part, but what troubles me, is that when people dredge up her past, a lot of the stories are brushed over by years and years of false information. It becomes harder for newcomers, who have an interest in Diana, to get to the truth.

Even the circumstances around her death has caused enough speculations to last for generations.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-11-2016, 02:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I understand that part, but what troubles me, is that when people dredge up her past, a lot of the stories are brushed over by years and years of false information. It becomes harder for newcomers, who have an interest in Diana, to get to the truth.

Even the circumstances around her death has caused enough speculations to last for generations.
There is no "truth" but there are lots of versions of it. There was no "truth" back then; there was just a pile of baggage that did not make things black and white. The best any of us can do is decide what we believe about the whole mess and be kind to others as we interact. And good luck with that as well.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:11 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

I do, and us, a break!
Of course he is "flogging dead horses" because he's Selling a story. he did the same several years ago and I dont believe he shoudl have done so. He was making money then adn he's making money now.
As for the wretched security men, he knows very well that they were not able to do their jobs because Dodi interfered all the time and MAK I think woudl not pay for more staff...So it was just 2 of them trying to manage a lot of press attention, something they were not used to..and They were working for a notoriously difficult spoiled man like Dodi who changed his plans, kept them out of the loop and messed everyting about.

Tags
althorp, diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, dodi fayed, paris, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana, westminster abbey