The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-13-2007, 05:42 PM

It depends on the executors of her estate I believe.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR Princess View Post
now that speculation her memory will never live long in the future, is definitely false.
That must be why so many children, youths and adults pass the statues in London and have no idea who they are of. It is sad, but that's life.
Quote:
Do you think if the William and Harry ever requested that her remains be moved to the family crypt or somewhere else he would comply?
I think it unlikely that any of them would want to disturb her final 'resting place'. By the time William is old enough to have any say in digging up and then burying the body anywhere else, I would think they will have accepted that her corpse is better left at rest in the artificial island.

It would not just be a case of them deciding to dig up and relocate the body, they would have to apply for permission from the authorities and in 20 -30 years who knows whether the government would approve.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:18 PM

She isn't buried in the ground though is she? I thought she was in a tomb thing.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

I thought Diana was buried in the ground.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:07 PM
Heir Apparent

I think the idea was that they (Earl Spencer) didn't WANT you to know whether she was in a tomb or ground.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:22 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
She isn't buried in the ground though is she? I thought she was in a tomb thing.
From what I remember reading, at the time, there was not time to line the grave with concrete, but they were making a lining of brick, (available for extra even in public cemetarys) or granite/marble, (again available in public cemetarys).

It is still a below ground grave and to remove the corpse or casket, they would have to apply to the Home Office, therefore it would be reliant on how the government of the day feels.

Once Harry reaches 25, the executors of her estate have no further input into any decisions, they are only there to facilitate her orders with regard to distribution of her money and property. Had she specifically asked to be cremated, they and the family were under no obligation to follow her wishes, the same way that they decided to give her godchildren gifts, rather than money! When writing a will it pays to be absolutely specific about what you want to leave and in what form.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
Thank you for the explanation. still, I think the point the engineer talked about is valid: once you seal of part off the surrounding soil with concrete, the rest of the "open" land attracts more ground water when it rises due to strong rainfalls. Thus, the island could potentially flood from within after strong rain but that's not the constant situation but only occassionally so - just like normal graveyards sometimes are "land under".
Absolutely right Jo. The explantion given also does not cover the points that anyone with a knowledge of the concepts behind landscaping would know, namely that any concrete structure is 1. Reliant on the substrate. 2. The Rebar. 3. Oxidisation
If the Rebar becomes oxidised, it starts to expand, (this has been a problem with many artificial lakes or islands). 4. Those naughty tree roots that have a habit of destroying many man made structures.

When burying Diana, they had to look at all and any possibilities, one of which would have included, IMO, the possibility of a rare occurence, such as excessive water being unable to drain or soak away!
Old 04-17-2008, 10:44 AM
Aristocracy

does anyone have a list of people who attended the funeral?
Old 04-17-2008, 01:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess B View Post
From this website, here's a few people who attended the funeral :

Quote:
Lady Hillary Clinton, British Prime Minister Tony Blair, former premiers, including John Major and Margaret Thatcher, have been invited -- as has a New Jersey couple who once hired Diana as a babysitter in London for their 1-year-old son before she entered the royal spotlight, New York's WCBS radio reports. Elton John, a close friend of the princess's, plans to be at the service but denied reports he had been invited to sing, saying that decision was still "up in the air."
Of course, we can add her former lover Hasnat Khan, Luciano Pavarotti and his wife, Tom Cruise, Nicole Kidman, Steven Spielberg, Tom Hanks, ... .

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 04-17-2008, 01:46 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess B View Post
Do you mean everyone at the funeral service in London, or just those at the graveside burial at Althorp?

Old 04-18-2008, 09:12 PM
Nobility

Paul Burrell who attended the burial ceremony on the island himself hints at in his book "Royal Duty" that Diana could have been buried elsewhere at a later time. I do remember Earl Spencer going out the next day in a row boat to scatter the petals of the flowers left at the gates of Althorp.

My thoughts are on the same wavelength as Paul's...I believe she was allowed to rest in an earthy grave for a bit and then dug up and cremated to be buried in the Spencer vault with her father and multiple generations of her family. .

I do think that somewhat twisted brother of hers also stated he put metal plates at different points in the island should grave robbers somehow gain access to the island and try to find a coffin with a metal detector.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Given the possibility of people looking for "trophies", I don't think that this is necessarily a strange idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie40 View Post
I do think that somewhat twisted brother of hers also stated he put metal plates at different points in the island should grave robbers somehow gain access to the island and try to find a coffin with a metal detector.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:38 PM
Nobility

Yes, there are ghouls out there. Some of the editorial cartoons in the days after her burial featured depictions of the paparazzi with a camera in one hand and a shovel in the other...That's why I hope she is with her father in the family vault.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Paul Burrell who attended the burial ceremony on the island himself hints at in his book "Royal Duty" that Diana could have been buried elsewhere at a later time. I do remember Earl Spencer going out the next day in a row boat to scatter the petals of the flowers left at the gates of Althorp.

My thoughts are on the same wavelength as Paul's...I believe she was allowed to rest in an earthy grave for a bit and then dug up and cremated to be buried in the Spencer vault with her father and multiple generations of her family. .

If what you are saying is true, then Spencer has been cheating people out of their money when they paid to see the island where his sister is buried.
Then that makes him nothing but a dog.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
If what you are saying is true, then Spencer has been cheating people out of their money when they paid to see the island where his sister is buried.
I doubt anyone goes there only to see her grave. Ther eis so much more to see and that alone should be worth the money.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Paul Burrell who attended the burial ceremony on the island himself hints at in his book "Royal Duty" that Diana could have been buried elsewhere at a later time.
Would this be comparable to his 'secrets' at the inquest, Later proved to be known to everyone or the 'Red Herrings' he claimed to have laid?
Old 04-20-2008, 03:53 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
Earl Spencer doesn't charge people to see the island where his sister is buried! Althorp House has been open to the public and charging people to come and see it since the 1970's, it was Diana's father who first opened it up to the paying public. A very small percentage of people who go to Althorp go there because of the Diana connection, and its official website reflects this, there are no pictures of Diana on its Homepage and just one link to the Diana exhibition. There are several pages of the various events, Literary Festival, Concerts, Garden show, fundraisers for cancer research and Christmas Fair. Plus pages on various famous Spencers through history ( Diana not included)
The Estate also hosts corporate events and that's what they make money on, not the dwindling number of people who want to visit the Diana exhibition. ( It looses money so that's why it now travels, it's been in Sydney for the past few months)
Old 04-23-2008, 06:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:

I think the security around her grave isn't too much. There are many weird people out there : fetishists and all the bunch of freaks.
Here's a screencap from Google Earth.
We can clearly see some obstacles around the island. I wonder how this sort of system can prevent a possible coffin robbery though.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 04-24-2008, 12:06 AM
Aristocracy

I went to Althorp House in 1982 when we were in England. We were in England when Prince William was christened. Of course then Diana's father was still alive and it was open for longer than it is now. The museum of her dresses wasn't there but there was a gift shop in I think the old stables or coachouse. A lot of the stuff was trinkety and rather trashy, including fake engagement rings with a big blue stone

Raine Spencer was accused of cashing in on Diana because of it I do remember going up the "main " staircase I suppose you could say and there was a gallery of family portraits of all past Spencers/wives/descendants etc and they were all rather sombre colours beige/brown/black and there in the middle was a much larger portrait of Raine in bright pink you couldn't miss it if you wanted too

Not saying anything against Raine it was just my perception at the time

Somewhere I still have the brochure. We were not allowed to take any photos AT ALL not even outside I was going through my o/s album the other day and tried to remember why I had no photos of the grounds of Althorp and I'm sure that was the reason. Also it stated that the grounds/house could be closed at any time for security reasons and we could be "turfed out"......put much more politely than that of course

I remember Charles Spencer saying when Diana died that one of the reasons he buried her on the island was he didn't want her grave to be turned into a sideshow/pilgrimage/hordes of tourists etc and I'm inclined to agree with him there. It was a very difficult situation as she was no longer an HRH or married to Prince Charles therefore there was no obligation on the part of the RF to afford her a Royal burial

Then again Charles Spencer was so bitter at the time that I am sure that if the RF even approached him to offer a Royal burial as the mother of the future King he would have flatly refused

I think his speech at her funeral was rather ironic his scathing veiled attack on the RF , talking about her "blood family" when his own life and exploits have been rather scandalous and fodder for the gossip columns and I'm not really sure how much he sees of the boys at all .Of course they are now grown men, but Charles speech at the funeral indicated that the Spencers would be very much "hands on" in the rearing of the boys but I doubt there was very much at all
Old 04-24-2008, 02:52 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
I accept that the idea with the isalnd was probably a good one in order to keep people from coming to close to Diana's grave, but still - the island was used to bury the dead pets of the Spencer's and now there is allegedly the grave of the mother of the future king? If they had erected a little chapel there with a crypt for Diana, I could believe in the story but the way it is it is suspicious for me. I for one wouldn't have buried my brother on such an island as if he was a pet of mine....

I still believe Diana's body was removed and replaced with stones or something else and then Earl Spencer took the Royal standart for her real grave and put his sister's body into another coffin or a case which could be used as such till it was possible to remove her from Althorp and bury her wherever. I'm convinced prince Charles and William and Harry were not informed but at a later point.
Yes I remember a friend of mine saying it creeped her out to think that Diana was buried in a pet's graveyard it reminded her of the Stephen King novel, "Pet Sematary"

What you say does make sense

Tags
althorp, diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, dodi fayed, paris, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana, westminster abbey