Last Hours, Death, Transfer from France, Funeral and Interment

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, the Queen felt that Diana's funeral should be a private one. Out of sight, out of mind, perhaps.
However, HM and other members of the Royal Family, (including William and Harry) were sequestered up in Balmoral and therefore were unaware of the general mood in England and around the world for quite some time.

The Queen in my view seemed to ignore the reaction in London signified by the growing floral tributes around the Palaces until it could be ignored no longer.
I think the Spencers aslo wished intitally for a private funeral, by their family but when they saw the reaction to Diana's death they felt that they could not deny people the chance to say goodbye to her, so that meant a public funeral.

I must have missed it.....

It started months ago, but CNN dropped it for coverage of the pandemic, etc. It’s now picking up again - I suspect they’ll be replaying the previous episodes.

Possibly it has not been ON British TV though in the past few months there has been quite a ridiculous amount of royal documentaries.. which i've watched because I was stuck indoors... I take it its about the WIndsors in teh present day

Possibly it has not been ON British TV though in the past few months there has been quite a ridiculous amount of royal documentaries.. which i've watched because I was stuck indoors... I take it its about the WIndsors in teh present day

Well, no - it's actually a history of the family. Here's a link where you can see what each episode is about. I saw the first two - they were brilliant.

https://www.cnn.com/shows/the-windsors-cnn-original-series

Well, no - it's actually a history of the family. Here's a link where you can see what each episode is about. I saw the first two - they were brilliant.

https://www.cnn.com/shows/the-windsors-cnn-original-series

Thanks probably there's nothing new, and I've seen a lot of royal docs lately. But there didn't seem to be anything on TV on her anniversary this year. I remember it well the day she died, and her funeral. My husband and I watched it on tv and then we dashed off ot the North London road to see the coffin go by...

Thanks probably there's nothing new, and I've seen a lot of royal docs lately. But there didn't seem to be anything on TV on her anniversary this year. I remember it well the day she died, and her funeral. My husband and I watched it on tv and then we dashed off ot the North London road to see the coffin go by...

I love docs, so I don’t watch them for anything new...but, I’ve got too many things on my DVR and too many things to watch, so I won’t be able to watch the next two episodes until later on.

I DO think the series is extremely well done and balanced, so you might still want to check it out.

I think the Diana TV tributes were done in 2017, and as it’s only been a few years since, there’s been nothing new to add. If there were going to be tributes, it’s possible filming for them was scuttled due to the pandemic.

There were a coupl of programmes in August abuot Diana's last few months.

The night of the accident in Paris, Dodi used very poor judgement in handling things which resulted in that fatal crash in the tunnel. Dodi was impulsive and his security men answered to him. Ken Wharfe, who was one of Diana's protection officers stated that if she still had RPOs, she would never have been allowed to get into that car that night especially with a driver that had been drinking.

The night of the accident in Paris, Dodi used very poor judgement in handling things which resulted in that fatal crash in the tunnel. Dodi was impulsive and his security men answered to him. Ken Wharfe, who was one of Diana's protection officers stated that if she still had RPOs, she would never have been allowed to get into that car that night especially with a driver that had been drinking.

How awful...Was Diana no longer entitled to RPO’s? I don’t want this to come off badly, but I would say the same thing about anyone ...Diana should have refused to get into that car.

How awful...Was Diana no longer entitled to RPO’s? I don’t want this to come off badly, but I would say the same thing about anyone ...Diana should have refused to get into that car.

Actually post-divorce, Diana was offered Royal Protection but she chose to decline.

https://www.reuters.com/article/dia...-could-have-saved-diana-idUKNOA15202920080121

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain’s former police chief said on Thursday that Princess Diana would still be alive if she had agreed to her police protection being re-instated.Former Metropolitan Police Commissioner Paul Condon told the inquest into her death that he had repeatedly tried in vain to get her to change her mind.

Last edited:

Why should she refuse to get in the car? Her boyfriend was a rich man, with security guards, servants and had access to all sorts of things to make their holiday safe and pleasant. Was she supposed to not trust him? And yes she was entitled to RPOS but had chosen not ot have them...

Why should she refuse to get in the car? Her boyfriend was a rich man, with security guards, servants and had access to all sorts of things to make their holiday safe and pleasant. Was she supposed to not trust him? And yes she was entitled to RPOS but had chosen not ot have them...

The main point is that Dodi's security didn't actually do their job to protect their charge but actually did whatever Dodi said to do. If Diana had RPOs assigned to her by the Met Police, if they said that Diana could not get into that car after assessing the situation, Diana would not have gotten into that car.

The difference it makes when security detail follow the whims of their charge and when security detail follows standard operation procedures set down by their superiors at the Met Police.

The main point is that Dodi's security didn't actually do their job to protect their charge but actually did whatever Dodi said to do. If Diana had RPOs assigned to her by the Met Police, if they said that Diana could not get into that car after assessing the situation, Diana would not have gotten into that car.

The difference it makes when security detail follow the whims of their charge and when security detail follows standard operation procedures set down by their superiors at the Met Police.

It was a different situation. RPOS work for the Met, their boss is the Met not the RF. Dodi's men worked for him and so were vulnerable to being sacked if they didn't do what he siad. They argued wiht him about the plan but he would not give in and they knew that once he said his fahter had agreed to something, they could not do anything. Its not fair to blame them for what happened since Dodi clearly would not give in. But I can't see why Diana was meant to "refuse to get in the car"

Last edited:

Let’s see, the driver had been drinking....

TLK, thanks!

Actually post-divorce, Diana was offered Royal Protection but she chose to decline.

https://www.reuters.com/article/dia...-could-have-saved-diana-idUKNOA15202920080121

Unlikely Diana knew the driver had been drinking, the reports were that he did not apppear to have been.

Yes Diana had no reason to believe he had been drinking when she got in.

Her security if they had been doing their job should have noticed something. I would think they would be checking to make sure she was safe.

At the very least they should have had seat belts on. You are driving busy streets at night, with paps following you, even more reason to have it on.

Her security if they had been doing their job should have noticed something. I would think they would be checking to make sure she was safe.

At the very least they should have had seat belts on. You are driving busy streets at night, with paps following you, even more reason to have it on.

They were Dodi's security men and they argued with him about his change of plan. But he refused to listen to them. Paul had had a drink or 2 in the Ritz (the bar bill proved that he had ordered 2 drinks) but he was smoking cigars which probably masked the smell of alcohol and there was not much they could do,, if Dodi would not listen to them. He had quite a bit of alcohol in his blood so he had clearly been drinking outside the Ritz as he was off duty. He was also taking Prozac which should not be mixed with Alcohol. But there was no reason why Diana should know any of this.
She wasnt his employer and she wouldn't have know that he wasn't a trained driver.

Last edited:

ICAM with this...thanks, and thanks also, Pranter.

I’m upset just thinking about how Diana put her life in their hands and they betrayed her trust like that.

I think seat belts should be a must, at anytime and everytime...

ICAM with this...thanks, and thanks also, Pranter.

I’m upset just thinking about how Diana put her life in their hands and they betrayed her trust like that.

I think seat belts should be a must, at anytime and everytime...

It was an accident. Nobody meant it to happen...
But a lot of it was due to Dodi, who insisted on his stupid plan and pushed Henri Paul into coming in to work that evening and also Paul should have had the guts to admit that he'd been drinking and wasn't fit to drive and reminded Dodi that he - Paul did not have the licence to drive that heavy car. Diana should have put her seat belt on, and usually she did, but i suspect she was tired out by then with all the fuss and just wanted to get home and rest.. and didn't bother. Then Paul took off and drove much too fast and lost control of the car. And hte paparaazi deserve some blame for their harrying the couple

Let’s see, the driver had been drinking....

TLK, thanks!
You're welcome Betsypaige. Had Diana chosen to retain her Royal Protection Officers, yes I do believe that they would have forbidden her to ride in the vehicle that night. It's unfortunate that she did not take up the offer.

Regarding Henri Paul being under the influence of prescription drugs and alcohol, unfortunately that was not immediately apparent to the other occupants.

As for the seatbelts, two separate investigations proved that they were in working order prior to the crash. Unfortunately we'll never know why they were not used by the occupants. :sad:

It was an accident. Nobody meant it to happen...
But a lot of it was due to Dodi, who insisted on his stupid plan and pushed Henri Paul into coming in to work that evening and also Paul should have had the guts to admit that he'd been drinking and wasn't fit to drive and reminded Dodi that he - Paul did not have the licence to drive that heavy car. Diana should have put her seat belt on, and usually she did, but i suspect she was tired out by then with all the fuss and just wanted to get home and rest.. and didn't bother. Then Paul took off and drove much too fast and lost control of the car. And hte paparaazi deserve some blame for their harrying the couple

So what? Sorry, that doesn’t mean anything to me. I’m not blaming Diana for her death - I’m just saying people should wear seatbelts all the time.

There is very little in this world that angers me as much as drunk driving. I’m not going to debate anyone on this - this is how I feel. Of course the paparazzi also are to blame - their actions that night are still sickening. That doesn’t change how I feel about drunk driving in that case.

Last edited:
You're welcome Betsypaige. Had Diana chosen to retain her Royal Protection Officers, yes I do believe that they would have forbidden her to ride in the vehicle that night. It's unfortunate that she did not take up the offer.

Regarding Henri Paul being under the influence of prescription drugs and alcohol, unfortunately that was not immediately apparent to the other occupants.

As for the seatbelts, two separate investigations proved that they were in working order prior to the crash. Unfortunately we'll never know why they were not used by the occupants. :sad:

Some people “seem” to hold their liquor better than others, and it seems that this was the case... it goes to show that you don’t need to look drunk to be drunk, or to have enough alcohol in your system to be a danger to passengers or innocent people in other cars.

The bodyguard survived, but apparently he has never spoken about the seatbelt issue.

Some people “seem” to hold their liquor better than others, and it seems that this was the case... it goes to show that you don’t need to look drunk to be drunk, or to have enough alcohol in your system to be a danger to passengers or innocent people in other cars.

The bodyguard survived, but apparently he has never spoken about the seatbelt issue.

:previous: Sadly this is the case for some people so we have to rely upon their honesty. Also as was pointed out earlier, Henri Paul had little to no experience in driving the very heavy and fast Mercedes. So coupled with his impairment it was a lethal combination that claimed the lives of three people that night.

I understand that Trevor Rhys-Jones suffered from amnesia after the accident and can not remember it.

:previous: Sadly this is the case for some people so we have to rely upon their honesty. Also as was pointed out earlier, Henri Paul had little to no experience in driving the very heavy and fast Mercedes. So coupled with his impairment it was a lethal combination that claimed the lives of three people that night.

I understand that Trevor Rhys-Jones suffered from amnesia after the accident and can not remember it.

Henri Paul was a steady if not a very heavy drinker and probably felt he was ok to drive.. and he almost certainly did not dare to tell Dodi that he'd been having some drinks.. Even if He had, Dodi was probably capable of still insisting that he drove and pressuring him, even though Henri also did not have the licence to drive that car..
Trevor Jones suffered head trauma and its problable that he did not and never will recall anything that happened in the car...

A few thoughts regarding evidence of the crash and its relevance to Dodi and Diana:

The engagement ring was bought from a French jeweler with the slogan, 'Tell Me Yes' but in French of course. The receipt labeled it as an engagement ring. He had bought it only a few hours before the crash and it was found in the wreckage still in the box. Dodi also had gone in to the jewelry store and came out with a brochure regarding this line of engagement rings while Diana stayed in the car, many hours earlier.

My thoughts: He apparently had not asked her to marry him just yet or the ring would have been on her finger instead in the box and found in the wreckage. (We will never know).

I have seen some transcripts from the formal inquiries but no where was it mentioned about the right rear seat belt and its condition. If anyone has seen this please tell me because in my career I have dealt with seat belts many times under different situations, i.e. wrecks, defects, warranty issues, etc. and there is usually a legal document on this and entered as a normal part of any investigation, especially with deaths involved. (My curiosity only and no conspiracy theory I assure you).

One of the last pictures taken before the crash showed Diana turned to the left and looking over her left shoulder and out the rear window (or rear windshield) supposedly watching the paparazzi on their motorbikes. It appeared that she did not have on her seat belt. She was known to be adamant about wearing her seat belt.

My thoughts: Was it broken? Was it ever tested for defects?

Trevor Rees-Jones' remarks are vague but understandable considering what hell he had went through. His one statement that stands out the most to me though is this: "My opinion is, I just consider it as an avoidable accident," he said. "That a mistake was made by Henri Paul to get behind the wheel of the car when he knew that he had been drinking. Not declaring either to us or to Dodi that he wasn't fit to drive. That was the mistake. I have accepted the finding. It was a simple drink-driving accident caused by speed. And that is what it was."

I'm also of the same opinion as Ken Warfe's. The change of 'plan' or any 'plan' that did not include proper security protocol was amateurish. Here Dodi changed it, called in Henri Paul, and his two body guards could not argue with the 'boss', and had to go along with it.

One last remark. I thought Mohammed Fayed's suggestion of slipping the silver plaque with the lovers poem on it (that was found in Dodi's apartment and hidden under her pillow) into her coffin was cheesy and ridiculous. He was trying way to hard to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Please be careful here but this video by Dr. Oz pertains to much of this. Don't show pictures of the crash or anything like that please, but watch only if you are interested in other findings. A few things mentioned I had not heard before in this video. Admins if you feel this is improper please remove it.

https://www.doctoroz.com/episode/famous-deaths-reexamined-princess-diana

I don't know why they picked that car or had it picked for them or.......just a series of terrible "what ifs", sigh.

Oh that's true, now I do remember that......I wonder how he's doing now.

The bodyguard has amnesia. He remembers little and why he let Henri Paul take the wheel and did not check the seatbelts. He put his own seatbelts on why not ensure all had them on. Lots of things make no sense to me. ANd Diana always buckled up. Her sisters said so after the accident. SOmetimes seatbelts appear to work but do not reach the buckle so the passenger is snapped in. Diana was not known to be careless about buckling up and did so all the time.

The ambulance bypassed a hospital ten minutes away and took hours to get Diana the help she needed. And equipment could have been sent to that hospital ten minutes away.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom