The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-06-2015, 08:19 AM
Royal Highness

Well we all see things differently and in this case very much so. The grief from the people was real and wasn't "whipped up" by the media, Blair or anyone else.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:49 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
Well we all see things differently and in this case very much so. The grief from the people was real and wasn't "whipped up" by the media, Blair or anyone else.
I seen some very real grief regarding Diana, Princess of Wales. I know alot of people who were shocked at the impact of Diana's death on them. Greif is a very individual thing.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:51 AM
Serene Highness

My memory of it is that people who really had no real grief over her death, were compelled [by the public HYSTERIA] to feign it, or face pretty naked hostility. It certainly was an uncomfortable time for them !
Old 09-06-2015, 09:58 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
My memory of it is that people who really had no real grief over her death, were compelled [by the public HYSTERIA] to feign it, or face pretty naked hostility. It certainly was an uncomfortable time for them !

Really they were made to be sad !!! or face naked hostility !!!!!!!!! Your memory is very very different to mine. She was a beautiful soul and a young mother it was incredibly sad and when I'm sad I cry nobody forced me.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 09-06-2015, 10:01 AM
Courtier

Royal Rob, I remember people crying openly and Tony Blair wasn't present nor were the media. It was an incredible period of time. That is my recollect.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:04 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybees View Post
Royal Rob, I remember people crying openly and Tony Blair wasn't present nor were the media. It was an incredible period of time. That is my recollect.

💐 it most certainly was

Old 09-06-2015, 11:00 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
She was a beautiful soul
Aspects of her soul WERE beautiful, but there was much that was ugly.. In that she was no different than 'the next man'..

If you weren't prepared to beat your beast in September 1997, you had better keep schtum and say nothing.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:34 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Aspects of her soul WERE beautiful, but there was much that was ugly.. In that she was no different than 'the next man'..

If you weren't prepared to beat your beast in September 1997, you had better keep schtum and say nothing.

That is your opinion and is vastly different than mine

Old 09-06-2015, 12:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

My cousin cried here in the U.S. She wasn't feigning anything. She (and I) were both pregnant, and I did wonder if it weren't hormones on her part, as I routinely cried at sentimental commercials at the time.

As I recall, there was genuine shock, horror and sadness at her death. She died at 36 for chrissake, and she left two young sons. I think I felt very sad for her children. When I saw that bouquet of roses on top of her coffin with the words "mummy" I thought I would lose it, and I'm not a member of the Diana fan club.

Were some people just emoting for the sake of it? Likely. Were some people truly grieved by her loss and her sons' loss - very much so. It's not an either-or.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:25 PM
Courtier

I can only discuss what I seen in Ireland and England. There was real emotion shown as royal rob I believe said, it did not take a Prime Minister or the media to create those emotions. I witnessed tears in the street and public places. I seen friends and family weep.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:09 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybees View Post
Forgive me what does 'you called it ' mean? It is not a phrase I know.

Dear Honeybees..."you called it" translates to "you got it exactly right"...or SPOT ON!!
Old 09-06-2015, 02:34 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Dear Honeybees..."you called it" translates to "you got it exactly right"...or SPOT ON!!
. Dear Moonmaiden, thank you for the cultural sensitivity there, I am battling Irish and England at the moment and as for ' giving someone the cheese', I remain at a complete and utter loss.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
My cousin cried here in the U.S. She wasn't feigning anything. She (and I) were both pregnant, and I did wonder if it weren't hormones on her part, as I routinely cried at sentimental commercials at the time.

As I recall, there was genuine shock, horror and sadness at her death. She died at 36 for chrissake, and she left two young sons. I think I felt very sad for her children. When I saw that bouquet of roses on top of her coffin with the words "mummy" I thought I would lose it, and I'm not a member of the Diana fan club.

Were some people just emoting for the sake of it? Likely. Were some people truly grieved by her loss and her sons' loss - very much so. It's not an either-or.
I was quite young when Diana died (I was a pre-teen - old enough to know what was going on and really mesmerized by it, but not old enough to have memories of Diana and Charles' wedding or anything), and I remember seeing my mother cry at the time, and I also saw the mother of one of my best friends crying. I'd spent the night at my friend's house the night before the funeral, and woke up the next morning to find her mom weeping in front of the television and clutching a box of tissues. I found this quite surprising, as my friend's mom was generally a bit of a tough person, if anything. However, it had been quite an extraordinary week. I'd seen my mom be tearful, too, and she's not the sort of person who typically cries a lot, and certainly not at things she's watching on TV.

I found it to be a very shocking and emotional time and, like I said, I was only young and was quite startled that this vibrant, glamorous woman who was so incredibly famous could suddenly be gone. I can certainly understand that it was emotional for those who had been paying attention to her since her wedding and since her children had been born. I think seeing that card addressed to "Mummy" on top of the coffin was what did a lot of people in. I even remember my grandmother being very sentimental about it, and that's really not her style.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post

It was indeed a difficult time for a great many. I certainly cried over Diana's tragic passing.

Over the years since her death; I've seen, heard and read people trying to analyze the peoples grief. Some thought it was all drummed up by the PM and press, but I think it was just pure sadness over the tragic loss of young, beautiful mother, well known British royal and humanitarian. She was human and humans sometimes die from very difficult circumstances, but Diana touched many people for nearly seventeen years and her death reflected that.

It's rather unfortunate that people have capitalized on her death (a thousand times over) and have steered her memory through many mazes to fit their narrative and benefit. I think it has caused a great deal of confusion and tarnishing, IMO.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-06-2015, 11:36 PM
Majesty

As I recall, the sadness in Canada was real as well. There were line-ups to sign books of condolences, and many Anglican churches had memorial services. There was a lot of disbelief and sadness over the whole situation.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:01 AM
Courtier

I had no television then (was loaned one for the time of the funeral) and had never read any of the women's magazines that featured Diana, so was certainly not "manipulated by the media".
It was a genuinely tragic event: ten years later and quite unprompted, an older male member of my family commented how heart-rending it had been to see and hear the funeral procession.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:52 AM
Majesty

I think a lot of people were totally bamboozled by the press. Charles Spencer's eulogy refers to the battering and really bad press his sister had taken over the last year about her "change in lifestyle", no more the Perfect Princess but more like Fallen Angel with a lot of adverse press about her indiscreet love life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Spencer
"There is no doubt that she was looking for a new direction in her life at this time. She talked endlessly of getting away from England, mainly because of the treatment that she received at the hands of the newspapers. I don't think she ever understood why her genuinely good intentions were sneered at by the media, why there appeared to be a permanent quest on their behalf to bring her down. It is baffling.
May I say the immediate swing from "who's paying her bills, etc. back to "Queen of Hearts" to "The Peoples Princess", was dizzying.

Cynically, they also deflecting public horror from their culpability in general back on to the BRF. The spin was amazing, within 48 hours she went from a pariah to a candidate for sainthood. The Guardian article from 2007 gives a fair view of the situation, which covered many of the points you raised, wyevale.

Mourning Diana: A moment of madness? | UK news | The Guardian
Old 09-07-2015, 02:48 AM
Nobility

Amazing how different our experiences can be. As a British 12 year old at the time I didn't see anyone shed even the slightest tear when Diana died, literally not one person. People weren't glad she died but it didn't actually impact on our lives at all.

The only people I saw crying were on TV; that was a surefire way of getting your 15 minutes at that point.

I do distinctly remember my dad watching the whole mad show leading up to the funeral and saying "the whole bloody country's gone mad".
Old 09-07-2015, 03:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

I remember talking to someone who was in London that week and she was made to feel like a pariah because she wanted to do normal 'touristy' things and not go anywhere near the Diana stuff.

I have also spoken to many Londoners and British people over the years who say that in hindsight they now realise just how much they were manipulated by the press that week.

I also have very clear memories of the press's initial reports from KP where the crowd were calling the press 'murderers' etc. The press was then faced with a real problem - how to turn the death into something that didn't cost them in the long run and so they fuelled the fires against the Queen and the royal family which many people still hold to, to this day.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:34 AM
Heir Apparent

I was in London at the time of the funeral and leading up to it and saw plenty of tears, and resentment at both the Press and the royals, especially Charles. It was in many ways a very odd sort of mood, and I've been in many crowds in my life, both rejoicing and sad ones, but never experienced anything else quite like it.

Back home in Australia there was great sadness also. I remember phoning home and my niece, then in her 20's, speaking about the sorrow she and her friends felt and how people were mourning Diana. They would hardly have been whipped up by Blair and/or the British media.

Tags
althorp, diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, dodi fayed, paris, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana, westminster abbey