The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-22-2014, 05:30 AM
Serene Highness

My first post in this thread. I am staggered that anyone would be naive enough to accept the Drunk driver version. Then you are saying that one of the most high profile Hotels in the world where Royals from every where often stay And the seriously rich - would employ a man as head of security who was dumb enough to drink too much on a weekend when he knew his employers son was in town with the high profile Princess. He knew the paparazzi would give chase. So why drive so fast. Other things were driving the motive that night that we are not aware of. Why did a high profile Lord/judge quit overseeing the coroners court case on this matter, because certain evidence was not allowed to be heard. Why? There are a great many unanswered questions which is why people go to this thread I guess. Henri Paul deserves better than to be labelled a drunk. Especially when it took authorities 3 goes to come up with drunk version.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

Don't forget that he had finished for the night and then was called back to drive the car - a car he wasn't experienced in driving in that manner as it wasn't his job.

A simply case of wrong decisions being made is far more plausible than the convoluted conspiracy theory based on the grief on a man who:

a. employed the staff
b. owned the hotels they were at and were going to
c. owned the car driven

Rather than face the culpability of his own shortcomings and those of the decisions made that night he made outlandish claims that some people have swallowed rather than be actually consider the most likely scenario as the real one - a drunk driver drove at speed in a car he wasn't used to driving and had an accident - something that happens every night in every city in the world with no conspiracy behind it but because Diana died it has to be because of a conspiracy rather than simply a drunk driver driving too fast and losing control of his car with three people dead.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:26 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by debrann View Post
Cant we just let Diana be .....she's DEAD, live for her legacy, that's what she would want, she deserves to be left in peace and remember for the positives not the negatives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why discussing her death is considered as not respectful to her legacy. If there are actually something sinister in her accident, don't you think she deserves some justice in this case. I think I am not the only one who was not sure the true nature of her death. I think her sons had the same mind, at least in 2007. In the interview they gave to NBC,

Quote:
Prince William: Yeah. I mean, again just for my personal opinion when you knew somebody or someone that important to you, you always think about you know. I mean, straight after it happened we were always thinking about it. Not a day goes by when I don't think about it once in the day. And so for us it’s been very slow and it's a lot, it has been a long time.
Quote:
Prince Harry: You know when people think about it they think about her death. They think about you know how wrong it was. They think whatever happened. I don't know, for me personally what happened you know that night, whatever happened in that tunnel -- no one will ever know. And I'm sure people will always think about it the whole time.
Matt Lauer: Have you stopped wondering?
Prince Harry: I'll never stop wondering about that.
A royal conversation with William and Harry - TODAY.com

I mean if they were certain that it was just an accident, they would not "think about it every day", and "never stop wondering about that", right? I think there must something not right to them. And no one will accuse them not respectful, isn't it.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:40 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Don't forget that he had finished for the night and then was called back to drive the car - a car he wasn't experienced in driving in that manner as it wasn't his job.
Don't forget that the french police had every detail of Henri Paul's movement during his last hours, which of course include the hours when he was off duty. For these hours, they could only confirmed that he had only two Ricards. So they assume that he must have more alcohol earlier, which mean during the time he was still on duty. If they have to assume that, then it is equivalent to claim, Henri Paul, who was the head of security of Ritz Hotel, while he was on duty to receive one of the most famous woman in the world, he got himself drunk.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:22 PM
Serene Highness

Three people died in a tragic horrible car accident. The trouble with this accident is that at the time the authorities kept changing the information as to how and why it happened. At first they said No - Henri Paul wasn't drunk. Then they came up with another story about Henri Paul before deciding to go with Over the limit alcohol in the blood version. People these days know full well you cannot believe everything the authorities tell you just because they say so. Too many lies have been told and a perfect cover up is to fuel all the conspiracy theories. I think most of us just find the official findings do not Ring true, - for some reason. Therefore people want to debate the issue, to find some plausible explanation that led to the crash.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

I still would like to know, who told Henri Paul to drive like a bat out of hell through the streets of Paris? None of that made any sense at all.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-22-2014, 04:32 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbrida View Post
Why discussing her death is considered as not respectful to her legacy. If there are actually something sinister in her accident, don't you think she deserves some justice in this case. I think I am not the only one who was not sure the true nature of her death. I think her sons had the same mind, at least in 2007. In the interview they gave to NBC,

I mean if they were certain that it was just an accident, they would not "think about it every day", and "never stop wondering about that", right? I think there must something not right to them. And no one will accuse them not respectful, isn't it.
Wrong! If my mother had been killed in such a way I would never stop wondering "what if" because the sheer banality of the way she died would haunt me.

A drunk driver, no seatbelts and excess speed lends an almost inevitable conclusion. So yes I am sure they would wonder why their beloved Mother got into a car and didn't put her seat belt on, even when things got hairy trying to lose the paparazzi.

As to comments about the Head of Security not getting drunk, well please name me one, or even two international hotels where the Head of Security stays awake and sober 24/7. He was not a 'trained' driver nor even a trained chauffeur. He was also not on duty.

Diana was such a larger than life personality. That such a life could be snuffed out in such a pedestrian manner is a life lesson to us all. Drink + speed + no seatbelts = death no matter who you are, how famous, how loved, how venerated.

Conspiracy theorists cannot accept such a conclusion for all the investigations, inquests, etc. Unless or until "they" say she was assassinated, they will argue, slander and libel anyone involved in investigating the case, strong in their belief that the truth is out there, in true X Files tradition.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:00 PM
Nobility

About the seatbelt, I found this in the "Operation Paget Report", page 421

Quote:
Analysis of the wreckage of the car after its repatriation to England in 2005 by a Forensic Accident Investigator from the Transport Research Laboratory of thirty-five years experience on behalf of Operation Paget found that all the seatbelts were in good working order with the exception of the right rear one which was for the seat Diana occupied. Follow up enquiries with French investigators found that they had declared all the seatbelts operational at an examination in October 1998, suggesting the damage to this seatbelt took place after the accident.
This means, the french declared in 1998 all seatbelts were functional. Then in 2005 British accident investigator found that all seatbelts were functional except for the one for the seat Diana occupied. Then the french said "Oh it must be damaged after the accident. "

Hmmmm. Surprise!!!
Old 12-22-2014, 07:37 PM
Heir Apparent

After 91 days of hearing, and evidence from 240 witnesses, the jury in the coronial inquest gave its verdict on 7 April 2008. They found, according to the criminal standard, i.e. 'beyond reasonable doubt' rather than the civil standard of 'on the balance of probabilities', a verdict of unlawful killing due to the grossly negligent driving of the paparazzi and Paul.

By a majority of 9:2, the jury found that "The crash was caused or contributed to by the speed and manner of driving of the Mercedes, the speed and manner of driving of the following vehicles, the impairment of the judgment of the driver of the Mercedes through alcohol." All members agreed that "the death of the deceased was caused or contributed to by the fact that the deceased was not wearing a seat-belt, the fact that the Mercedes struck the pillar in the Alma Tunnel rather than colliding with something else."

Details of the inquest can be found here: [ARCHIVED CONTENT] Hearing transcripts: 7 April 2008 Verdict of the jury

The jury is the sole arbiter of fact in our system of justice.

Based upon what I know of this matter, and many years' experience as a solicitor practising in the field of motor vehicle personal injury law, I have no trouble believing that the jury was right. Diana and Dodi died in the sort of ordinary motor car accident that tragically kills thousands of people every year.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:41 PM
Nobility

Now it seems besides the driver's blood, the seatbelt is also suspicious.

First French declared in 1998 all seatbelts were operational, but British in 2005 found out it was not the case, instead Diana's seatbelt had problem. So it means one of them may have told lie. Then without explaining why the two results were conflicted, without doing any further mechanical analysis, the French went on suggest that "even it was not operational, it must be damaged after the accident, not before the accident". I wonder what the hell how they could be so sure it was not damaged before the accident.

Not to say that every friends in the hearing have testified Diana was a faithful seatbelt user. I think the true reason why she didn't wear the seatbelt was still unknown to the public.

This case really strike me. It seems Diana had been always using the seatbelt, the only time she didn't, an accident happened. I am a math major, I know the chance that this kind of thing would happen is very very slim. The thing just doesn't sound natural to me.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Diana was very headstrong on wearing her seatbelt. Whenever her and the children was in the car, the car didn't move until William and Harry had their seatbelts on.

Although, it won't bring them back, there are many good standing questions that haven't been answered.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-22-2014, 09:29 PM
Gentry

In having read and dismissed most of the conspiracy theories, I agree with most of the posters that think that everything was too random that night for a planned assassination to be carried out. That is what we are talking about you know, assassination.

There have been suggestions in this thread that France is covering up evidence and producing false evidence to prove that it was an accident.

But...why would France collude with Britain, an ancient rival at least, to cover up what the conspiracy theorists believe was a Royal British plot to murder Diana? If the French had or have evidence to damn or even embarrass a high profile Brit, why wouldn't they gleefully use it??

No, just bad choices that night.
The section of the car that Diana was in, directly behind the body guard that survived, had the least damage of any other area of the car. If she had been wearing her seat belt, she would still be complaining of neck pain today from the terrific whiplash she got. Just saying she would have very likely survived with relatively minor injuries. Wear your seatbelts everyone!! All the time!!!!
Old 12-22-2014, 10:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana Von Cleves View Post
In having read and dismissed most of the conspiracy theories, I agree with most of the posters that think that everything was too random that night for a planned assassination to be carried out. That is what we are talking about you know, assassination.

There have been suggestions in this thread that France is covering up evidence and producing false evidence to prove that it was an accident.

But...why would France collude with Britain, an ancient rival at least, to cover up what the conspiracy theorists believe was a Royal British plot to murder Diana? If the French had or have evidence to damn or even embarrass a high profile Brit, why wouldn't they gleefully use it??

No, just bad choices that night.
The section of the car that Diana was in, directly behind the body guard that survived, had the least damage of any other area of the car. If she had been wearing her seat belt, she would still be complaining of neck pain today from the terrific whiplash she got. Just saying she would have very likely survived with relatively minor injuries. Wear your seatbelts everyone!! All the time!!!!
Many assassination plots aren't meant to be solved. The job is done and everyone is free to go on and make up their own minds as to what happened.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-23-2014, 06:06 AM
Serene Highness

Lots of unanswered questions remain. Why bother leaving a perfectly good hotel to go anywhere?? I don't understand why they felt the need to leave in the first place. But then a TV interview of one of the other bodyguards said Al Fayed was directing things that night. The Mercedes was a substitute which was in for repairs and that's why not all of the seat belts were working.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:11 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
[...] The Mercedes was a substitute which was in for repairs and that's why not all of the seat belts were working.
I have never heard about a car, and certainly not a Mercedes W140 from the S-Class, without "working seat belts".
Old 12-23-2014, 02:48 PM
Serene Highness

The only thing that can go wrong with a seat belt is the retraction mechanism. This second car had been in for minor repairs or was meant to go in for minor repairs and was used because something was wrong with the main car.
As it is nearly xmas I am very busy at the moment. But when I get the time I will look up all the news clippings I saved about this accident later.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:27 PM
Majesty

Diana's post-mortem showed that she had had some wine. My opinion is that her judgement was "off" that evening...perhaps a combination of wine with dinner and the high emotions and stress of that last day in Paris.

Diana wasn't unknown to taking risks. Ken Wharfe describes in his book about how she once leaped off a second-story chalet balcony during the night for someone unknown reason, possibly to meet Oliver Hoare.

I haven't seen any new objections to the results of the official inquiries. There are no newly discovered facts. The same arguments are going around and around.

Quote:
Not to say that every friends in the hearing have testified Diana was a faithful seatbelt user. I think the true reason why she didn't wear the seatbelt was still unknown to the public.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:30 PM
Majesty

If my mother died in a car accident when I was at a vulnerable age, I'd wonder about it as well. It doesn't mean that they suspected a conspiracy. I think that they just wonder why their mother made the decisions she did.

The fact is, if Diana and Dodi had spent the night at the Ritz, Diana would likely still be alive.

There were bad decisions made. Bad decisions sometimes kill people.

Quote:

Old 12-23-2014, 07:35 PM
Majesty

Ricard Pastis is a very, very strong alcoholic drink. It's 40 to 45% alcohol.

Quote:
Why we can be so sure the driver was drunk. Because the authority told us so. No one will more desperate and eager to find any proof that Henri Paul had drank more than 2 Ricards that night. They had sent at least 20 detectives to find evidences, but no, all they could find was only 2 Ricards, and that doesn't match the reading.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:38 PM
Majesty

Mr. al Fayed himself is the source of many of the conspiracy theories. They were propagated by him after the accident--probably because he couldn't accept that his son was killed by one of his own employees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
Lots of unanswered questions remain. Why bother leaving a perfectly good hotel to go anywhere?? I don't understand why they felt the need to leave in the first place. But then a TV interview of one of the other bodyguards said Al Fayed was directing things that night. The Mercedes was a substitute which was in for repairs and that's why not all of the seat belts were working.

Tags
althorp, diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, dodi fayed, paris, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana, westminster abbey