The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-22-2013, 08:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
I think you've hit upon something. People think that they knew her personally in some way, and therefore grieved for her.
Well, she wasn't titled the "People's Princess" for nothing. She did touch the lives of people she never even met, not only those she did, and people may have been or still be grieving as if she were a family member or close friend. Very tough for many to let her go, but it should have been easier with the passage of time.

All I can say is that this is great publicity for the "Diana" movie and will translate into big bucks for it, most likely.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

I personally felt bad that Diana was a young woman and mother that died in an horrible and senseless car crash. I feel bad for the person and their families everytime I hear about someone dying or horribly injured in a accident or what have you.

For sixteen years in her role as HRH The Princess of Wales, Diana met a great deal of people, helped countless charities and traveled around the world. Whether she knew it or not, people liked meeting her and felt special when she shook their hands and accepted their flowers. She touched many people and when she died, they felt hurt that she was taken so soon and very tragically.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-22-2013, 09:50 PM
Heir Apparent

After 16 yrs they should have moved on with their lives. They were not part of her family and they did not know her. In truth she was a total stranger to them, showing them only a public persona,
Old 08-22-2013, 10:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
After 16 yrs they should have moved on with their lives. They were not part of her family and they did not know her. In truth she was a total stranger to them, showing them only a public persona,
You're assuming they have lives to get on with.

Never assume.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

To an extent, I agree. I never know why any personality is lionized. On the same hand the fuss made over many of the royals, including Philip or the queen is silly, too. They are not personal friends or family. Their loss will never affect you. Yes, the family, of course. The rest is just publicity.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Major public figures do have an impact on other peoples lives in different ways. Although many may not have met Diana personally or wasn't a close friend and family member, her death hurt a great deal. Also, people felt horrible that she left behind two young children, who loved their mother very much and she loved them. It was a very sad time then and although everyone has moved on, the sadness is still there.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-23-2013, 12:46 AM
Serene Highness

She was liked in part because she came across as not cruel or bombastic in public. For some reason, some people think that's charming and regal.

I don't know many or any people who are still grieving Diana, but I do know people who still get expressive about the deaths of other people they didn't know personally. A lot depends on the age at which the event happened.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:03 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I have to admit this question never ceases to confound me. Yes it has been 16 years and yes she was a total stranger to 99.999% of those who still beat their breasts at her death.

Do they still feel the same degree of sorrow and loss of their own family and friends who have been gone that long? Probably not. Go figure.

Someone once said that it was like the (their) world went collectively mad when she died. Will she only be allowed to rest in peace after the tabloids have finally ceased beating their drums and positing ever more convoluted conspiracy theories, and movies and articles and forum posts stop trying to rewrite history? And how long is that going to be? How long is a piece of string?
Old 08-23-2013, 01:21 AM
Commoner

If there are people who have not moved on with their life, well they need some serious help. But those who chit chat about this in a water-cooler-topic sort of way, what is the big deal. It is just chit chat and not indicative of someone who has not moved on with their life.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:41 AM
Heir Apparent

The more I'm reading about this the more I'm thinking that Soldier N was just seriously disturbed.

As for grieving I can say for myself I was 6 when she died and knew nothing about her at the time but I'll be honest here when I think about her death even now I get real sad. I still feel awful for William and Harry particularly right now for William, who now has first son and I know had Diana been around she would have been a great grandmother. I dunno maybe I'm weird for feeling that way but that's just the way I am.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:13 AM
Royal Highness

It is normal to feel sad or despaired about the useless death of a person,even if you have not met this individual,we are all gifted with emotions and empathy,we feel the loss and we feel sorry for people who are affected by such a tragic accident.
I feel sad because Princess Diana was a special person and it is tragic that she was not able to watch her sons grow up and have a normal family life. I am also sad for everyone else who was close to Diana,wheter it was family,friends or people she has met through her charities or royal functions.
Nevertheless it is important understand that such unfortunate things can happen to anyone...nobody is safe from losing a friend or family member, but we have to learn to let go, it is not healthy to refuse to accept the reality of life which also includes sadness & death.
. Helen Keller
Old 08-23-2013, 07:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I was only giving a heads up - we do need to read the article.
Here is the article. The headline is IMO deliberately misleading, as the police as contacting both families involved and the inquest judge.

Princess Diana police contact Prince Charles | Royal | News | Daily Express

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 08-23-2013, 09:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Daily Mail headline more realistic (cant believe I can write that!)

Prince Charles and Mohamed Al Fayed contacted by police assessing SAS soldier's claims that Diana was murdered | Mail Online

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 08-23-2013, 10:00 AM
Imperial Majesty

I also think everyone handles grief differently and over time people do move on but sometimes questions remain and the saddness is still there.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-23-2013, 12:43 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahew88 View Post
If there are people who have not moved on with their life, well they need some serious help. But those who chit chat about this in a water-cooler-topic sort of way, what is the big deal. It is just chit chat and not indicative of someone who has not moved on with their life.
I agree. The issue is the intensity of feeling. It's natural for her family and friends to still think of her and miss her. But it's time to get help if it is still painful but Diana wouldn't have known who you were.

I am sympathetic that William and Harry lost their mother. I'm also sympathetic to her other family members, including Charles, who lost a loved one. I am interested in their lives and joined this forum. However, many people have lost at least one of their parents at a young age.

In the last 16 years, people in my own family have died. I still think about them. Especially on holidays and special occasions, but sometimes during the day I find myself thinking of them and wishing they could be a part of my life, but its a fleeting thought. The last person close to me died about two years ago and I can't say I am still in mourning. Life goes on.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I have to admit this question never ceases to confound me. Yes it has been 16 years and yes she was a total stranger to 99.999% of those who still beat their breasts at her death.

Do they still feel the same degree of sorrow and loss of their own family and friends who have been gone that long? Probably not. Go figure.

Someone once said that it was like the (their) world went collectively mad when she died. Will she only be allowed to rest in peace after the tabloids have finally ceased beating their drums and positing ever more convoluted conspiracy theories, and movies and articles and forum posts stop trying to rewrite history? And how long is that going to be? How long is a piece of string?
Which means that they are not so much as grieving her passing as enjoying being part of the incredible drama, albeit the empty drama, that encompassed her personal life.

By "empty drama" I do not mean her humanitarian works. I am talking about her personal relationships. She was great at inspiring or "touching" people with whom she did not have to engage in the terribly hard work of a human relationship. I do wonder if those whom she touched with a few passing words, a smile, etc, would feel they same way if they had to live with her for three months. Would they still be beating their breasts?

I think a great part of this is a morbid curiosity with death (which we all have), esp. the untimely tragic passing of the most famous person in the world.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

New cover-up: Major doubts over Princess Diana’s car that were not revealed-
New cover-up: Major doubts over Princess Diana

Picture:
Bodyguard Trevor Rees-Jones moments before impact. No seatbelt!
http://twitpic.com/daggtj

One of the last pictures of the three alive.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-27-2013, 11:52 AM
Serene Highness

Trevor snapped on his seatbelt just before they entered the tunnel. If he hadn't, he would've been dead.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:26 PM
Majesty

He must have realized how dangerous the situation was. Diana and Dodi, being in the back seat, wouldn't have been as aware of the dip and curve in the tunnel and how quickly they were approaching it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchessmary View Post
Trevor snapped on his seatbelt just before they entered the tunnel. If he hadn't, he would've been dead.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:28 PM
Majesty

Agreed. There were many accidents in that tunnel and, I believe, eight deaths within the last 15 years. There have been an unusual amount of traffic deaths where I live this summer: no one is screaming "conspiracy."

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
I think a great part of this is a morbid curiosity with death (which we all have), esp. the untimely tragic passing of the most famous person in the world.

Tags
althorp, diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, dodi fayed, paris, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana, westminster abbey