The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-15-2006, 10:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassie
I thought he meant that he selected the dress that Mrs. Jay donated for the Princess to wear temporarily. That is what his book says, or, at least, that he and Mrs. Jay went through her wardrobe and selected it together. Did he claim to have been the one who selected the Walker dress somewhere else?
Actually I don't recall without going to find the book and looking it up. I know he said he'd asked the Ambassador's wife for a dress Diana could wear in the meantime, which struck me as strange that he didn't think to take one out with him from England but felt it was OK for her to wear a borrowed dress - good thing Mrs Jay was approximately the same size as Diana!

But when I read about the Catherine Walker dress she was buried in, I remember thinking that something about it didn't agree with either Paul Burrell's account of things or someone else's.

Old 07-15-2006, 11:54 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Actually I don't recall without going to find the book and looking it up. I know he said he'd asked the Ambassador's wife for a dress Diana could wear in the meantime, which struck me as strange that he didn't think to take one out with him from England but felt it was OK for her to wear a borrowed dress - good thing Mrs Jay was approximately the same size as Diana!

But when I read about the Catherine Walker dress she was buried in, I remember thinking that something about it didn't agree with either Paul Burrell's account of things or someone else's.
I'd take Catherine Walker's account over Paul Burrell's. She, I think, is motivated by truth rather than self-importance. :)

Old 07-16-2006, 12:06 AM
Heir Apparent

when Diana dies and her personal butler bring her favourites clothings from Catherine Walker for burial but i think Paul Burrell wanted bring for her and i dont think Wills and Harry tell him what kind clothes for mother's clothing designer and royals brothers felt betrayal at his own mother's butler.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:26 AM
Aristocracy

OK this is an old question but one that I have never had an answer to. When the funeral was being broadcast Barbara Walters described the 3 floral arrangements on Diana's casket/coffin as being from her 2 sons and the Spencer family. The "Diana" rose arrangement became famous because of the envelope with the name "Mummy" written on it and it was supposedly form the boys but Barbara said that was from Harry and the tulip arrangement at the top of the casket had a special meaning and was from Will. (The middle arrangement was the Spencer's). Does anyone remember what the special meaning this arrangement had and if it actually was from Will or was the "Mummy" arrangement the only one from the boys? Have never seen any article about the floral arrangements but hope that someone here might have heard who they were from. The flowers from the royals by the way- the Queen and Prince of Wales- were displayed next to the casket inside the cathedral, so not them either.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:29 PM
Aristocracy

I read somewhere that the Princess of Wales has been buried in a leaden coffin so it will always remain intact.
I've got the feeling this was a well considered choise because in this way there will always be the option to rebury her somewhere else.
One day, when the present Earl Spencer dies, the estate will be taken over by one of his sons. And it has to be seen if they like the idea of having an aunt buried in their backyard.
I also have the feeling that Prince William one day will, apart from restoring Diana's HRH title, also rebury her at Frogmore. In my opinion the proper restingplace for the mother of a future king.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

What exactly is a leaden coffin.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:35 PM

Well, if someone wants to preserve a body perfectly then they're interred in a coffin that is lined with lead. It's almost unheard of today except in the Vatican arena where Popes are always buried within a lead coffin so that when they're exhumed in their cause for Sainthood their body can be examined for signs of corruption.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

So its possible that the Princess of Wales' body is still intact after 10 years.
I wouldn't be surprised if Wills and Harry exhume and bury her elsewhere.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:16 PM

Well, if she was interred in a lead-lined coffin and embalmed then yes, she'll be preserved. However, the body's state doesn't really affect re-location. It's just the coffin that needs to be in some decent order and even if that's decayed, the bones etc can be put into a new coffin before reburial.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

So is every deceased member of the royal family buried in a lead-lined coffin?
Old 11-02-2007, 06:29 PM

Not that I know of. It isn't customary but it could be arranged by special request. Every Pope is but I'm not sure about Royals. I'd say no because of the risk of desecration but I've never opened the lid of a Royal coffin!
Old 11-05-2007, 04:30 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I heard it was a lead coffin too, which accounts for the weight that the Welsh Guards struggled with as they carried her. I also heard that there was a glass window so her face was visible (that sounds a little gross to me so...).
Old 11-05-2007, 04:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
I also heard that there was a glass window so her face was visible (that sounds a little gross to me so...).
That was only in the coffin used to bring her through customs in France, many countries insist on opening the lid!
Old 11-05-2007, 05:03 PM

I must say I was suprised it wasn't a glass coffin entirely.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
I heard it was a lead coffin too, which accounts for the weight that the Welsh Guards struggled with as they carried her. I also heard that there was a glass window so her face was visible (that sounds a little gross to me so...).
My friends' nephew (as I've said here before) was one of the (Welsh Guards) pall-bearers of Diana's coffin at the Abbey. I can tell you absolutely for certain that it WAS lead-lined and there was no window in the lid.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:07 PM

Maybe the lead-lined was chosen with foresight in case of possible exhumation for an inquest/investigation.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
That was only in the coffin used to bring her through customs in France, many countries insist on opening the lid!
Customs do not normally check things on the way OUT of a country.

Remember this was a private flight not a public, scheduled nor even a holiday charter flight, so normal rules simply did not apply. I'm pretty sure that there was film footage at the time of the car arriving at the airport from the Hospital, the coffin being taken out & put on board and the flight leaving almost at once. On arrival in Britain it came to RAF Northolt and the coffin was then transferred to St James's Palace, London.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:30 PM

Bodies are a little different. The deceased has to be identified before being allowed out or wanted criminals could easily be smuggled out.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Maybe the lead-lined was chosen with foresight in case of possible exhumation for an inquest/investigation.
Lol, you might be right BeatrixFan ! Nowadays, you never know what people are capable to think of. For me, I see the choice of the lead-lined as a symbol of "beauty and youth" preservation. Diana died at 36 when she was almost seen like unreal, perhaps a saint (parallel to the Pope's coffin, maybe ...). Honestly, when I hear about her, I can't imagine her aging. Sounds weird but she died when I was only 6 and I'm really not able to imagine how would she look like today.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 11-05-2007, 06:04 PM

Well the Pope's coffin isn't intended to be a sainthood thing - quite the opposite actually. It's considered a common burial and the lead is to ensure that his body doesn't decompose in the normal way. For example, when Pope John Paul II moves to the next stage of canonisation, they'll exhume his coffin, open the lid and if he's decomposed then his remains will be considered corrupt. If they arent then it'll be taken as a sign of sanctity ensuring his almost automatic sainthood. As I understand it. In a similar way, were Diana to be exhumed today then her body probably would be in the same state it was when it was embalmed in 1997.

Tags
althorp, diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, dodi fayed, paris, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana, westminster abbey