Last Hours, Death, Transfer from France, Funeral and Interment

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Diana was very headstrong on wearing her seatbelt. Whenever her and the children was in the car, the car didn't move until William and Harry had their seatbelts on.

Although, it won't bring them back, there are many good standing questions that haven't been answered.

In having read and dismissed most of the conspiracy theories, I agree with most of the posters that think that everything was too random that night for a planned assassination to be carried out. That is what we are talking about you know, assassination.

There have been suggestions in this thread that France is covering up evidence and producing false evidence to prove that it was an accident.

But...why would France collude with Britain, an ancient rival at least, to cover up what the conspiracy theorists believe was a Royal British plot to murder Diana? If the French had or have evidence to damn or even embarrass a high profile Brit, why wouldn't they gleefully use it??

No, just bad choices that night.
The section of the car that Diana was in, directly behind the body guard that survived, had the least damage of any other area of the car. If she had been wearing her seat belt, she would still be complaining of neck pain today from the terrific whiplash she got. Just saying she would have very likely survived with relatively minor injuries. Wear your seatbelts everyone!! All the time!!!!

In having read and dismissed most of the conspiracy theories, I agree with most of the posters that think that everything was too random that night for a planned assassination to be carried out. That is what we are talking about you know, assassination.

There have been suggestions in this thread that France is covering up evidence and producing false evidence to prove that it was an accident.

But...why would France collude with Britain, an ancient rival at least, to cover up what the conspiracy theorists believe was a Royal British plot to murder Diana? If the French had or have evidence to damn or even embarrass a high profile Brit, why wouldn't they gleefully use it??

No, just bad choices that night.
The section of the car that Diana was in, directly behind the body guard that survived, had the least damage of any other area of the car. If she had been wearing her seat belt, she would still be complaining of neck pain today from the terrific whiplash she got. Just saying she would have very likely survived with relatively minor injuries. Wear your seatbelts everyone!! All the time!!!!

Many assassination plots aren't meant to be solved. The job is done and everyone is free to go on and make up their own minds as to what happened.

Lots of unanswered questions remain. Why bother leaving a perfectly good hotel to go anywhere?? I don't understand why they felt the need to leave in the first place. But then a TV interview of one of the other bodyguards said Al Fayed was directing things that night. The Mercedes was a substitute which was in for repairs and that's why not all of the seat belts were working.

[...] The Mercedes was a substitute which was in for repairs and that's why not all of the seat belts were working.

I have never heard about a car, and certainly not a Mercedes W140 from the S-Class, without "working seat belts".

Last edited:
The only thing that can go wrong with a seat belt is the retraction mechanism. This second car had been in for minor repairs or was meant to go in for minor repairs and was used because something was wrong with the main car.
As it is nearly xmas I am very busy at the moment. But when I get the time I will look up all the news clippings I saved about this accident later.

Diana's post-mortem showed that she had had some wine. My opinion is that her judgement was "off" that evening...perhaps a combination of wine with dinner and the high emotions and stress of that last day in Paris.

Diana wasn't unknown to taking risks. Ken Wharfe describes in his book about how she once leaped off a second-story chalet balcony during the night for someone unknown reason, possibly to meet Oliver Hoare.

I haven't seen any new objections to the results of the official inquiries. There are no newly discovered facts. The same arguments are going around and around.

Not to say that every friends in the hearing have testified Diana was a faithful seatbelt user. I think the true reason why she didn't wear the seatbelt was still unknown to the public.

If my mother died in a car accident when I was at a vulnerable age, I'd wonder about it as well. It doesn't mean that they suspected a conspiracy. I think that they just wonder why their mother made the decisions she did.

The fact is, if Diana and Dodi had spent the night at the Ritz, Diana would likely still be alive.

There were bad decisions made. Bad decisions sometimes kill people.

A royal conversation with William and Harry - TODAY.com

I mean if they were certain that it was just an accident, they would not "think about it every day", and "never stop wondering about that", right? I think there must something not right to them. And no one will accuse them not respectful, isn't it.

Ricard Pastis is a very, very strong alcoholic drink. It's 40 to 45% alcohol.

Why we can be so sure the driver was drunk. Because the authority told us so. No one will more desperate and eager to find any proof that Henri Paul had drank more than 2 Ricards that night. They had sent at least 20 detectives to find evidences, but no, all they could find was only 2 Ricards, and that doesn't match the reading.

Mr. al Fayed himself is the source of many of the conspiracy theories. They were propagated by him after the accident--probably because he couldn't accept that his son was killed by one of his own employees.

Lots of unanswered questions remain. Why bother leaving a perfectly good hotel to go anywhere?? I don't understand why they felt the need to leave in the first place. But then a TV interview of one of the other bodyguards said Al Fayed was directing things that night. The Mercedes was a substitute which was in for repairs and that's why not all of the seat belts were working.

I do believe that Mr. Fayed had a hard time coming to terms that a lot of bad decisions were made that night and it led to his son, a high ranking member of the British royal family and and an employee deaths.

I wonder who gave Henri Paul the order to speed through the streets of Paris? He did drive like a bat out of hell and I'm surprised that bodyguard, Trevor Rees-Jones, allowed it to happen. You can't protect yourself and your employers if the driver is driving like a maniac. It was like everyone was out of their minds that night.

Someone in the entourage, perhaps one of the bodyguards, said that Dodi was very on edge when they were driving in Paris and kept telling the driver to speed up to get away from the paparazzi. Diana was more concerned that one of the photographers would have been hurt because of the speed.

Someone in the entourage, perhaps one of the bodyguards, said that Dodi was very on edge when they were driving in Paris and kept telling the driver to speed up to get away from the paparazzi. Diana was more concerned that one of the photographers would have been hurt because of the speed.

It was just dumb to fly through those streets like that. Let the paps take some pictures. It really wasn't all that serious. It was like everyone brains were on vacation.

Ricard Pastis is a very, very strong alcoholic drink. It's 40 to 45% alcohol.

It is a very popular drink in my country, usually on hot days or as an aperitif but pastis is never consumed pure, there is always water served with the pastis. So depending on the water (most add 2/3 water to 1/3 pastis, but I prefer 3/4 water to 1/4 pastis, so the alcohol percentage considerably goes down. Only alcoholics drink pastis pure (undrinkable in my personal opinion).

Ricard is just a brand. There are many more like Henri Bardouin (my favourite), Duval or 51. :flowers: It is served in small glasses. It is not a drink which is consumed in large quantities, but only a glass or two as a starter. I doubt Diana, Princess of Wales had felt any effect from pastis. A nice glass of a full-body St Emilion together with the main course will have had more effect than the little glas of pastis.

Last edited:
It is a very popular drink in my country, usually on hot days or as an aperitif but pastis is never consumed pure, there is always water served with the pastis. So depending on the water (most add 2/3 water to 1/3 pastis, but I prefer 3/4 water to 1/4 pastis, so the alcohol percentage considerably goes down. Only alcoholics drink pastis pure (undrinkable in my personal opinion).

Ricard is just a brand. There are many more like Henri Bardouin (my favourite), Duval or 51. :flowers: It is served in small glasses. It is not a drink which is consumed in large quantities, but only a glass or two as a starter. I doubt Diana, Princess of Wales had felt any effect from pastis. A nice glass of a full-body St Emilion together with the main course will have had more effect than the little glas of pastis.

Whisky is a popular drink in my country, and it is often served with water or something else to make it go further. It has about the same alcohol content as pastis. Downing two scotch & waters quickly, especially if you have just finished your work shift and are tired and/or haven't eaten for a while, is likely to affect your brain at least a bit, and it only had to affect Paul's ability to assess and respond to risks just a little bit to have contributed to the accident, considering he was driving like a bat out of hell and needed all his skills and wits about him.

It sounds like Dodi gave the order to excessively speed and they all paid for it, including him.

. . . . . Diana wasn't unknown to taking risks. Ken Wharfe describes in his book about how she once leaped off a second-story chalet balcony during the night for someone unknown reason, possibly to meet Oliver Hoare . . .
Hmm, didn't she throw herself down some shallow stairs to make a point?

It sounds like Dodi gave the order to excessively speed and they all paid for it, including him.
Was the car wired for sound. The Bodyguard originally had very little recall about that night let alone the last drive and he is the only survivor of that crash.

Last edited:
:previous: Some have said that Diana's story about throwing herself down the stairs was a gross exaggeration and that she slipped a few steps. I do think that she was reckless, though.

Diana was pretty careful when it came down to driving and riding in cars. She made sure to fasten her seat belt. I think the only time Diana didn't wear a seat belt was when she was driven in the State Cars. The royals aren't known to wear them in the State Cars.

:previous: Some have said that Diana's story about throwing herself down the stairs was a gross exaggeration and that she slipped a few steps. I do think that she was reckless, though.
Andrew Morton's book was where it originated, or possibly the Settleton tapes, but she also shoved her Stepmother down wth stairs, so she was obviously impulsive. . .

:previous: Oh yes, definitely impulsive. Looking at videos of Diana from the 80s and 90s, I'm always struck by how contained and in-control she was in public while being so impulsive and reckless in private. Unlike Sarah, Duchess of York, for example, Diana knew how to behave in public.

QueenCamilla why show that photo. We all know that was the last few minutes of her life there is no reason to post that. Very bad taste doesn't add anything

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

:previous: I don't consider that photo to be in poor taste. At least she's alive in it. I could post some where she isn't, but that would definitely be in poor taste.

How far back in time do we have to go before the images become acceptable? Are the photos of her outside before she got in the car unacceptable? Or the ones in the hotel? What is the cut-off line?

What I do find distressing about that photo is that it indicates she was more interested in watching the vehicles behind her than in putting on her seatbelt.

Last edited:
The photo shows that Diana was not concerned with fastening her seatbelt.

The conversation was about her not wearing the seatbelt.

We know she didn't have a seat belt on there is no need to show it. It is in very bad taste and pointless.
But if that's what you want to do fine your free to do it.

:previous: I don't consider that photo to be in poor taste. At least she's alive in it. I could post some where she isn't, but that would definitely be in poor taste.

How far back in time do we have to go before the images become acceptable? Are the photos of her outside before she got in the car unacceptable? Or the ones in the hotel? What is the cut-off line?

What I do find distressing about that photo is that it indicates she was more interested in watching the vehicles behind her than in putting on her seatbelt.

No it's the photo JUST before she dies

Last edited by a moderator:
The photo shows that Diana was not concerned with fastening her seatbelt.

The conversation was about her not wearing the seatbelt.

Diana couldn't believe what was happening in those moments. It was a terrifying moment.

IMO, it looks like she was more concerns with the photographers than bothering to fasten her seatbelt.

It was Diana who was looking at the photographer so, IMO, it is safe to go with it was Diana who was asking the driver to drive faster.

The photo shows her head looking out the back window the photographer is taking the photo from the front. She is looking away from the cameras
She is maybe looking at the cars following her but not at the camera

Truly !!!!
Anyway completely unnecessary to show

Back
Top Bottom