The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-18-2013, 10:34 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I still ask myself, why in the world they would get a person like that to drive the car, when they knew he was drinking heavily?
Because he might have been an informant to police. That was never proven, but he had a lot of money in his bank account that could never be explained.

I am waiting before I make a judgment on this new information.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:58 AM
Majesty

I know many would want this entire situation put to rest and curious about this coming up within the anniversary month but I hope any new information would be looked over very carefully and if there's anything that could be of some help, use it to their best of their ability.

I know if it was a member of my family who passed away in this way, I would want the authorities doing everything they can and follow credible leads.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 08-18-2013, 11:01 AM
Nobility

Quote:
I still ask myself, why in the world they would get a person like that to drive the car, when they knew he was drinking heavily?
The way they kept changing their plans that night, it seems like a lot of the decisions were based on impulse rather than common sense. I think Diana was just letting Dodi take charge of things, maybe not realizing how bad his judgment could be.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:25 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I know many would want this entire situation put to rest and curious about this coming up within the anniversary month but I hope any new information would be looked over very carefully and if there's anything that could be of some help, use it to their best of their ability.

I know if it was a member of my family who passed away in this way, I would want the authorities doing everything they can and follow credible leads.
They did spend untold millions on these investigations - I think she had her day in court, so to speak.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:30 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
The way they kept changing their plans that night, it seems like a lot of the decisions were based on impulse rather than common sense. I think Diana was just letting Dodi take charge of things, maybe not realizing how bad his judgment could be.
I think she was upset and possibly confused. She didn't look happy once she entered the doors of Hotel Ritz. Even some of her former protection officers recognized that look and knew she wasn't a happy camper. I think a great deal was out of her control.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 08-18-2013, 11:48 AM
Heir Apparent

New information related to the death of Diana, Princess of Wales| Tengrinews.kz

Princess Diana Death: Police Assess 'Relevance And Credibility' Of New Information Received
Old 08-18-2013, 12:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
No matter what happens, it will not and cannot bring Diana back. I really hope this doesn't get blown up way out of porportion by the media.
Not much hope of that I am afraid. As you can see from reading recent posts some people would prefer to believe in an evil conspiracy rather than accept that she could die like a mere mortal in an ordinary car crash.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
From what I remember, (it has been a couple years since I last read the dossier and inquest files) they knew Henri Paul had a few drinks though I don't think they knew exactly how badly drunk he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
There could be a whole lot of explanations for that, but let's just wait what the investigation comes up with before starting a conspiracy theory of our own
That's true but it's still really bothering me. I'm intrigued to see what happens.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post

Not much hope of that I am afraid. As you can see from reading recent posts some people would prefer to believe in an evil conspiracy rather than accept that she could die like a mere mortal in an ordinary car crash.
I agree completely.

People need to realize that there is no huge conspiracy afloat. Diana and her companions made some very stupid decisions that night and sadly died as a result of it. People die every day because they mix reckless driving and alcohol, the only difference between them and Diana is that most people don't do so while being pursued by the paparazzi.

I would think William and Harry will always question that night, but more in terms of things like "why did she make those choices" than "who killed her." They're intelligent young men and I highly doubt either of them subscribes to conspiracy theories.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:38 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I think people do accept that accidents sadly happen and someone of Diana's status can die in a crash just like everyone else. I think the problem is that some still question the evidence and the stuff that probably wasn't looked at. Even William & Harry have publically stated that they don't even think they would ever know the truth about what really happened.

It's just that some people still have questions and curious about those events. I feel bad the Mr. Al Fayed lost his son too but I still have questions about that whole trip and feel funny about Mr. Al Fayeds motives of even inviting Diana to join his family on vacation and with his son, who was busy entertaining his then fiancée.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 08-18-2013, 02:15 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I think people do accept that accidents sadly happen and someone of Diana's status can die in a crash just like everyone else. I think the problem is that some still question the evidence and the stuff that probably wasn't looked at. Even William & Harry have publically stated that they don't even think they would ever know the truth about what really happened.

It's just that some people still have questions and curious about those events. I feel bad the Mr. Al Fayed lost his son too but I still have questions about that whole trip and feel funny about Mr. Al Fayeds motives of even inviting Diana to join his family on vacation and with his son, who was busy entertaining his then fiancée.
When Will and Harry make such statements that they don't think they will ever know what really happened, I really don't think they doubt the official version of the cause of her death - I'm sure, as many including you have pointed out, there are endless questions that a loved one would say; why oh why didn't Mum wear her seatbelt this one time, of all times? Why didn't Mum say slow down? Why did she decide at the last minute to stay in Paris at all? Why did they have to go to the Ritz? Why did they have to leave the Ritz? Why did Mum get in a car with someone who was drunk? Did Mum know he was drunk? I could go on all night, and I'll wager Harry and Will have had sleepless nights with just these questions.

And they will never know these answers.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:34 PM
Courtier

I bet if William and Harry could go back in time they would go back to that week in August of 1997 and beg their mother not to go to Paris!

I am sure like any family who has lost a loved one in a accident like this one with lot of unanswered question, William and Harry (And I bet even Prince Charles as well even so they were divorced and Diana Siblings also) have lot of questing about that night that will never be answered like any family. Why was no one wearing a seatbelt? Why was Henri Paul allowed to get behind the wheel Drunk? Why were there no extra security. That night? And many more questions like that will never be answered. I highly doubt they pay attention to conspiracy theories.

There is always a conspiracy theories connected to almost every event in history including the moon Landing.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:44 PM
Heir Apparent

There's the saying that hindsight is always 20/20 vision. If we could all revisit our mistakes to ensure that we never repeated them, then all of our tragedies, lost opportunities and wrong decisions would have never occurred. This is a classic series of unfortunate events that had it been repeated with what is now known, it would have had perhaps a more propitious outcome. Somewhat of a "Groundhog's Day" scenario.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:04 PM
Majesty

From what I have read of Diana's close friends, they have said that she thought it was too hot in Paris and on the yacht and just wanted to back home and be with the boys. Her staff was getting the residence ready for her arrival. I think she just wanted to leave that place but she wasn't in control of what was going on.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 08-18-2013, 03:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Agreed. It was all in the control of the Fayeds, and they were incompetent. They could keep Diana protected in their compounds but not in the street.

The "informant" had been court-marshalled twice. Not a good source IMO.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...r-head-2182295
Old 08-18-2013, 03:50 PM
Heir Apparent

He informed for different parties who were interested in activities of people at the Ritz. He also received large tips. He wasn't necessarily an informant for the police or other authorities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
Because he might have been an informant to police. That was never proven, but he had a lot of money in his bank account that could never be explained.
[/B]
Old 08-18-2013, 03:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
I have always found it hard to believe that one of the most exclusive Hotels in the world would employ as Head of their Security a man who would drink to excess on the day he knew his bosses son and the most photographed woman in the world were going to be in town. Surely Henri Paul as head of security knew the risks involved with the paps and wanted/needed a clear head to deal with any demand/situation this high profile couple might ask of him. I don't believe for a minute this man was drunk. Otherwise the Ritz was operating as a Fawlty Towers operation. I just hope that one day we will get to the truth of the matter.
I wasn't going to post in this thread again, but some of the people who are suspicious of the official conclusion are not considering the reality of how security operates in real life.

The hotel security is trained to provide security for guest on hotel grounds. It is unusual for them to provide security off campus. An exception was made because Dodi was the boss's son and Diana was a VVIP.

Ritz security probably assumed that Trevor Rees Jones and Henri Paul were in charge. Henry Paul was a senior employee. He was actually supposed to be off duty that night, but he was called in. He had a few drinks at the bar and probably had a few before he came in. Regular Ritz security probably didn't screen him at all because: 1. Henri Paul was a senior employee, 2. Diana and Dodi were leaving Ritz property, and 3. they assumed Trevor Rees Jones was in charge.

Call it Fawlty Towers if you want, but its ridiculous to argue that it is suspicious that Ritz security didn't properly vet Henri Paul. Oversights like that happen all the time.

I repeat: If someone wanted to kill Diana, it wouldn't have gone down the way it did. Ritz security (or the Establishment) had no way to keep Diana from wearing a seatbelt--and Dman claims that she usually wore one. If she had been wearing a seatbelt, she would have sustained only minor injuries. No one would go through all that trouble if there was a likelihood that the intended victim wouldn't have been killed.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Agreed. It was all in the control of the Fayeds, and they were incompetent. They could keep Diana protected in their compounds but not in the street.

The "informant" had been court-marshalled twice. Not a good source IMO.

Princess Diana death: Former head of Royal Protection "mystified" by claims she was killed by SAS - Mirror Online
I re-read the article and it seems this SAS soldier seemed to be exhibiting quite erratic behavior and threatening to kill his wife and such. So now all of a sudden him writing this letter and claiming to have killed Diana doesn't seem quite as bizarre anymore
Royal bodyguards' shock at claims SAS killed Princess Diana - Telegraph

Btw can someone explain to me what court-marshalled means?
Old 08-18-2013, 04:47 PM
Majesty

He was off-duty and called back on duty - so he wasn't expecting to be on duty that evening. It is no different to the heavy drinking that we know is done by military officers in their off-duty hours but when they are on duty, or in the day or so beforehand, they don't drink.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:22 PM
Serene Highness

Court Martial is a military trial.

Tags
althorp, diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, dodi fayed, paris, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana, westminster abbey