The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-01-2012, 02:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
Does anyone know who is the current wealthiest aristocrat in Great Britain?
HIs Grace The Duke of Westminster KG is not only the wealthiest aristocrat he is also the wealthiest Briton (est 6.7 billion pounds), and the 4th weathiest man resident in the kingdom. The 3 weathiest are Indian and Russian billionaires.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thena View Post
I would give some leeway to the Earl. At least the money coming from visitors will allow the estate to remain in the Spencer family. Think of what could happen if the Earl was forced to sell Althrop, including Diana's grave site, because he couldn't pay the taxes?
I suppose he also needs to top up his income to ensure he can meet all his divorce settlements and child support.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
HIs Grace The Duke of Westminster is not only the wealthiest aristocrat he is also the wealthiest Briton, and the 4th weathiest man resident in the kingdom. The 3 weathiest are Indian and Russian billionaires.
Thank you , I thought so. A few years ago I read that he was the wealthiest in Britain. But with the economy I didn't know if he still was.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1 View Post
You really need to do some decent research and learn exactly how Earl Spencer receives his income! He is one of the wealthiest aristocrats in the UK and his wealth certainly does not come from the diminishing interest in his late sister. The Earl receives an income from the Althorp estate, that is agricultural rents as well as cottages, he also has 2 smaller estates in other parts of the UK. He also receives an income from forestry and commercial properties which are rented out.

Over the past few years he's overseen a huge project to reroof Althorp House as well as reattaching the tiles on the outside. The project cost 20 million pounds, 10 million pounds was raised by auctioning off the contents of the attics and stables at Althorp. The rest was self funded, no government grants were used.

The Earl runs a Literary Festival (started by his second wife) which is quite successful as well as writing books, non fictional historical tomes. ALthorp House is open for 8 weeks over the summer which is far less time than other privately owned stately homes (6 months is the norm) There is no extra cost for the Diana exhibition (which has fewer people coming to see it) there is however an extra cost if you want to see the upstairs gallery in the House itself. The Althorp estate website has a very tiny mention of Diana, you need to look for it! So Charles Spencer, despite his rather patchy marital history, is and has not exploited his dead sister! He makes far more money from his estates, than he ever has from the Diana exhibition. The exhibition to cover its costs now tours the US which is still 'Diana territory' and there are people there who are willing to pay to see it.

When she died the other option was for her to be buried in the local church with her Spencer ancestors, but it was very small and could not cope with what initially would have been large groups of people. By burying her at ALthorp, the family would have privacy and the 'crazies' would be kept away from her burial spot. It was the right decision to make.
Wow so making money off your hose is an honest days work in England?! If that's what you consider an honest days work then that is your opinion, but where I'm from running an ancestral house is not a job, it's more of a hobby.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 04-27-2012, 05:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Wow so making money off your hose is an honest days work in England?! If that's what you consider an honest days work then that is your opinion, but where I'm from running an ancestral house is not a job, it's more of a hobby.
Running an ancestral house is a business like any other. They require a great deal of money to maintain and have to earn their keep. Thats why many great homes are open to the public, or in cases like Woburn Abbey have added golf courses or conference centres in order to earn money for the estate, or in cases like Highclere are rented as film sites That takes work.

Those that cannot earn money or be kept up are either sold to wealthy foreigners or taken over by the National Trust or left in decay. Rather like the cottages at Newport, Rhode Island owned by families like the Vanderbilts could no longer be maintained due to taxation and high costs so they were boarded up, sold or are now museum pieces.

Just how many centuries old "ancestral homes" with large estates still owned and lived in by the original families are their in the US anyway.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

We'll just have to agree to disagree; from what I've seen Diana's brother has mostly been cashing in on her name.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
We'll just have to agree to disagree; from what I've seen Diana's brother has mostly been cashing in on her name.
In other words you have no answer to your original comment that running an ancestral house in your country is a hobby and not a job. Fair enough, I was just looking for more detaiils on American ancestral homes since many of our stately homes are actually older than your country and are still lived in by the same families they were built for. The concept of an American stately home of similar size and vintage seems unlikely.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

If you want to continue this stupid debate than I can go all freakin night! What I was trying to to is be mature and let this stupid issue die which is clearly going off topic in a thread that is supposed to be about Princess Diana.
But just so you know, famous homes in the states usually belong to propel who actually accomplished something in their lives, for example Graceland, the home of Edgar Allen Poe, Jackie Kennedy's childhood home, Hyannis Port etc. They are famous for a reason, not just because they've been around for so long and the same titled family lives there. Most of these houses are landmarks and have been dubbed by their community or other organizations to be worthy of being saved from demolition or falling into decay. They are not necessarily just rich folks making money off their houses for no other reason than rich folks have owned them for centuries and now a dead princess is on the property; I say not necessarily because you can go either way with Graceland. These houses tend to have historical or cultural significance. But perhaps business, job, and historical significance in America means something different than in England which is why I said we should agree to disagree.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:37 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Most famous homes in Britain also belong to people who (or rather their ancestors) have accomplished something in their lives: they include famous generals, diplomats, explorers, scientists, writers - people who worked and achieved greatness for their country. Their descendants are tasked with maintaining their estate and are in a way keepers, rather than actual owners. Go back into any noble family's tree and you'll find more distinguished people than you banked for. In addition, the homes of famous non-noble people (such as writers and/or artists) are very much preserved as well.

Much as I detest Earl Spencer (the speach he gave at Diana's funeral was absolutely unforgivable), even I have to admit he has done his best to maintain Althorp without turning it into a Diana museum/shrine.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:57 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post

Most famous homes in Britain also belong to people who (or rather their ancestors) have accomplished something in their lives: they include famous generals, diplomats, explorers, scientists, writers - people who worked and achieved greatness for their country. Their descendants are tasked with maintaining their estate and are in a way keepers, rather than actual owners. Go back into any noble family's tree and you'll find more distinguished people than you banked for. In addition, the homes of famous non-noble people (such as writers and/or artists) are very much preserved as well.

Much as I detest Earl Spencer (the speach he gave at Diana's funeral was absolutely unforgivable), even I have to admit he has done his best to maintain Althorp without turning it into a Diana museum/shrine.
Exactly - the history in these estates is amazing and as you say many of them were given for service to either the nation or to the monarchy e.g. Blenheim was given to the Churchill family because the Duke of Marlborough won the Battle of Blenheim and a similar estate was given to the Duke of Wellington for his victory over Napoleon (both for a peppercorn rent). These families are then responsible for the upkeep of these homes - just like ordinary people are responsible for the upkeep of their home. Given the massive death duties that these families also have to pay, due to the value of the estates, they are then faced with a few options - sell the estates and lose the historical connection, sell chunks of the estate or open the house to the public to let them see some of the house and therefore some of the nation's history.

What is the difference between Earl Spencer opening his house for 8 weeks a year to help pay for its maintenance than the Queen opening BP for about 8 weeks a year, or Windsor almost year round or Sandringham etc.

I had no time for Diana or the Spencer family generally and have no interest in seeing Althorp but have enjoyed seeing many other grand homes in the UK e.g. Blenheim, Chatsworth, Sandringham, Windsor Castle, Hampton Court, Hardwick Hall etc etc.

Mods some of these posts probably should be in a separate thread and sorry for going off topic but somehow the discussion went that way.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:08 AM
Nobility

My most vivid memory of Diana is how I knew she's dead. I remembered it was a sunday noon around 12pm. My parent and I was having the lunch with a guest, and we were watching news on TV at the same time. I just remembered seeing a picture of Diana on the right top corner, and under the picture it read "1961-1997", so I knew immediately what happened even before the news reporter ever opened her mouth. And then the tear just went down which made me very embarassed because the guest was just sitting on my left. But it was beyond my ability to control it. The memory is so vivid that even utill now I still remember every detail of that day -- which picture of Diana they used in the news, the look of the news reporter, who was our guest and even what we eat in that lunch.

And then in the coming saturday afternoon, I came back from school planning to watch the funeral. But so unluckily, I came back home and found out there were several guests in my house again. Okay, have to fight with the tear again. I was okay until Elton John's singing. His singing itself was not the problem because my English was very poor at that time. However, in the middle of his singing, some picture of Diana and her boys pop up in the TV. It was at that moment I was beaten, and the tear just came out.

BTW, a little information about how a Chinese see the date of her death. We Chinese usually use lunar calendar to mark the date of a person's death. In this case the date of her death was not Aug 31, but July 29.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:17 PM
Heir Apparent

During the funeral of Diana, the POw, William, Harry, DoE and Earl Spencer joined the funeral cortege and walked behind it to Westminster Abbey. I thought that they joined it at Buckingham Palace but, having read Wiki recently, they are saying that they walked from Kensington Palace.

Does anyone here know which one it was?

Thank you.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 08-01-2012, 03:20 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Does anyone here know which one it was?
Actually they joined the funeral procession from outside St. James' Palace.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:57 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tihkon2

Actually they joined the funeral procession from outside St. James' Palace.
That's right, the PoW, Earl Spencer, Prince Phillip, and Princes Willam, and Harry were waiting outside St. James Palace where they joined the procession.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Was Charles involved in choosing some of the music for the funeral service?
Old 08-06-2012, 11:53 PM
Royal Highness

I have never understood the death of Diana.
I had seen Jackie shopping many times in Athens at the bottom of Hermou Street and then ascend to the roof of the building escaping the paparazzi filling the roads and leave by an awaiting helicopter.
I feel Diana who had had this chronic problem of being hounded could have used a helicopter. It might have prevented the chaotic situations of navigating roads and prevented her death. I hope Diana rests in Peace.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
I had seen Jackie shopping many times in Athens at the bottom of Hermou Street and then ascend to the roof of the building escaping the paparazzi filling the roads and leave by an awaiting helicopter.
I feel Diana who had had this chronic problem of being hounded could have used a helicopter. It might have prevented the chaotic situations of navigating roads and prevented her death. I hope Diana rests in Peace.
Jackie had Onassis and his lifestyle to rely on. Slightly different circumstances.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
Well, she was with a man who made poor decisions and she had dismissed her own protection officers by that point, and the driver of her car was incredibly intoxicated and not a licensed chauffeur.

Diana's death was incredibly tragic, but it's not exactly a mystery at this point.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:38 AM
Serene Highness

The men behind princess's funeral share their stories

The men behind princess's funeral share their stories | Tunbridge Wells People
Old 07-05-2013, 03:37 AM
Commoner

Diana's Burial

I understand this very long conversation has been long said and done.

I have read about 10 pages of it and now have even more questions.

About the glass in the coffin. For the life of me, I cannot remember where it was that I read that, but I do remember reading that Diana mentioned to someone once that when she dies she wants a coffin with a little glass opening for people to see her face. It might have been wish/ramblings of a young woman. But certainly it had something to do with the fact that she KNEW millions would be curious and she did not want them wonder, maybe she wanted them to see she was dead to know for sure. And maybe this has something to do with her father passing. I don't know. But I am sure if there was a glass in that coffin, by now someone would have said so. And for a fact I read that statement YEARS before she was killed.

About the possibility of Charles or William wanting to move her body later. I don't know why, but this just strikes me as no no no never. The boys seem to have a good relationship with the Spencer'. And lets not forget the Spencer's have more Royal blood than the Windsor's do. I just cant fathom anyone moving her, and if they did I am SURE the Spencer's would ENGAGE over it.

Last, the idea that William would restore her HRH title. Lovely. That has never crossed my mind and just the thought of it. Wow. What a very cool thing that would be. Fingers crossed on that one!

This was so long ago it seems But to this day, when I remember those boys stepping into the street behind their mothers coffin; I lose my breath all over again.

Tags
althorp, diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, dodi fayed, paris, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana, westminster abbey