The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-21-2004, 01:25 PM
Courtier

The sapphire is her engagement ring...I think she just had a plain gold band as her wedding ring.

Old 06-21-2004, 10:15 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlightrhapsody@Jun 21st, 2004 - 12:25 pm
The sapphire is her engagement ring...I think she just had a plain gold band as her wedding ring.
Diana's wedding band was made from a piece of Clogau gold from Wales that made the Queen Mother's, the Queen's, Princess Margaret's, and Princess Anne's wedding bands. A new piece was given before Andrew's marriage to Sarah and her band is from this piece and Sophie's too I would imagine.

Old 06-23-2004, 05:18 PM
Courtier

[COLOR=purple] I read a book called "The Day Diana died" 6 years ago and it said that in her coffin, she had Mother Teresa rosary and pictures of her father and her two sons, Princes William and Harry in her hands. Prince William kept his mother's engagement ring. Also, She wore the black coatdress that she never wore before in the coffin and she told Prince Charles one time that when she died, she wanted to wear the gold earrings and she wears it in the coffin. That's what I read in the book.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:49 AM
Serene Highness

I heard or read that too! That she had a favorite pair of gold earrings she was wearing the night she died and Charles had a fit (on her behalf) as only one was found; the other was later found in the car. He said she never left the house w/o her earrings and he insisted they be found. Some might find that a silly token gesture but I thought it was a very kind, thoughtful thing to do. I had heard recently about the sapphire ring and also heard her simple gold band was on her hand--again, a gesture Charles insisted on. Her favorite designer, Catherine Walker, contributed a black dress Diana had purchased but never picked up. I assume the one borrowed from the Ambassador's wife and her shoes were either returned or destroyed.

I hope she finally is at peace but I really, really miss her.....and all that might have been.......

I am back to my original position that her blood family--particularly Lord Spencer--are a pack of vultures. Removing the royal standard.....opening up a museum (against William's wishes), after all his fussing while she was alive about how she couldn't have a simple cottage on the estate as "it would cause too much commotion." He rode her coattails to get a job on NBC. And now he is doing the same--making money off of her death--not for her Foundation--but for his own comfort and convenience. It's sickening. He wanted peace and quiet, fine, don't open a museum and invite crowds in......I bet he has a gift shop in there with mementos and replicas and postcards.....I find it appalling!

Let her rest in peace.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:23 AM
Courtier

Th funeral was almost 8years ago but when I look at this pictures I still feel very moved.I think it was nice that also Fergie was there.

Was Sophie there with the Queen when the coffin passed by at Buckingham Palace I thought I saw her..
Old 08-01-2005, 01:31 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv
Was Sophie there with the Queen when the coffin passed by at Buckingham Palace I thought I saw her..
Sophie didn't stand outside Buckingham Palace with the rest of the family. Of course, at the time she wasn't married to Edward yet.

The story I heard was that, because of Sophie's vague resemblance to Diana, it was thought that her presence would be confusing to some people (I guess some people might have thought it was Diana standing there, although Diana was quite a bit taller than Sophie so I don't know how that confusion could really arise).
Old 08-01-2005, 01:38 PM
Courtier

But then sombody similar to Sophie was standing outside.I know they weren´t married, but they were unofficially engaged since 1994. So I thought it could be possible...
Old 08-01-2005, 03:13 PM
Royal Highness

This is so sad. I watched the funeral adn the music was so beautiful. Looking at pics of the RF they all look so sad. I hope they were all truly sad. I wonder what they were thinking. It was nice to see Sarah there. She looked very pretty. I wonder was she allowed to be with the RF all day.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reina
This is so sad. I watched the funeral adn the music was so beautiful. Looking at pics of the RF they all look so sad. I hope they were all truly sad. I wonder what they were thinking. It was nice to see Sarah there. She looked very pretty. I wonder was she allowed to be with the RF all day.
Well, according to Sarah, Duchess of York, who is certainly not crazy about her former in-laws, the entire royal family was "shattered" by her death. If nothing else, I'm sure they were all grieving the loss of someone who they all knew and cared about, if not loved, not to mention the pain they felt for William and Harry.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:11 PM
Courtier

Unhappy Facts

Elton John's song @ Diana's funeral was actually talking about Marylin Minroe...that's why from one of the lyrics of the song...says that he was just young when he knew her!!!!...When I look at those pictures I've noticed that Harry was pretty small for a 14 year old kid (I think that was how old he was?)....but he pretty much caught up at Wils' height now!!!And the thing that made me sad about Di's funeral was when I remember that Harry wrote a letter to his mom and it was on top of the coffin...that was really sad!:(
They make the best husbands!!!!!!
Old 08-05-2005, 12:34 PM
Nobility

The person you think was Sophie was Serena Linley.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:36 PM
Aristocracy

I heard that Diana had worn that too. I think I read it in A Royal Duty by Paul Burrell or something.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:42 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelydiana
I heard that Diana had worn that too. I think I read it in A Royal Duty by Paul Burrell or something.
Paul Burrell said that she was buried "with a few simple rings". Whether that included her wedding band is anyone's guess.

It's unclear what happened to her engagement ring. I am sure it is being kept for her sons, because that would seem most likely, but her will did not itemize jewelry or possessions. Whether William or Harry specifically received it is unknown to anyone but them, really.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:53 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chat Noir

I read somewhere the royal standard flag was ripped from Princess Diana's coffin and replaced with the Spencer flag during the final ceremony. Is it true? Just wondering. I don't know much about Princess Diana and the British Royalty. I don't really pay attention to them that much.
Again, according to Paul Burrell, the only non-family member at the graveside service, Earl Spencer removed the royal standard from Diana's casket upon her arrival at Althorp prior to her burial and replaced it with the Spencer flag.

Whether that is true or not is unknown, since Burrell is the only witness to have said so, and he does have somewhat of an axe to grind with the Spencers. Unless someone else who was there comes forward to affirm or deny his statement, we can't be sure how accurate it is.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:04 AM
Commoner

Princess Diana Island and Statue

http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_disp.asp?n_id=23668&n_tit=Karjat%3A+NRI+Dr+Arjun+Gaur+Creates+Princess+Diana+Island

Quote:
"Humanitarian work played a crucial role in the Princess' life, both at home and abroad. Her overseas missions to Angola, Bosnia, Pakistan and India struck a chord with me." The marble statue of Princess Diana is handcrafted by traditional artisans in Jaipur painstakingly over a period of one year. "I want to leave no stone unturned in my tribute to Princess Diana," says Dr Gaur.

http://www.cambridgeindia.com/

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/661...statue13xe.gif
Old 07-09-2006, 01:46 PM
Commoner

Althorp was already opened to the public before Princess Diana's death. I visited Althorp on my honeymoon in the summer of 2000. The museum was very tasteful and the gift shop was modest. Her wedding gown was a wondrous sight to see and there were several recognizable dresses on display as well. I met Earl Spencer there and he was very nice. He signed several of the books I bought and posed for pictures. He was a gracious host. The house was such a treat to visit and felt much like a home. There were pictures of Diana and her sons on the grand piano, portraits of the family through the years hanging in the salon. I remembered the stories Diana would tell about them sitting on the steps at Christmas time. There were games under the table in a family living area. We were told that the twins birthday had just occured and Mrs. Shand-Kidd had been there to visit. Walking outside I saw the wall where Diana had stood with her ballet slippers on and it was a special moment to visualize the memory. Touring the Round Oval was quiet and very respectful. This was no tourist trap. Diana's memory can be savored here, after all this is where she grew up. Northamptonshire is a lovely area, much like the countrysides here in Virginia. It is a trip that will forever live in my memory and I plan to return there again in the future.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:52 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryshawn
Her favorite designer, Catherine Walker, contributed a black dress Diana had purchased but never picked up.
Actually, Catherine Walker wrote in her autobiography that the dress Diana was buried in was one Catherine selected. It was not one that Diana had ever seen, but, rather, one that Catherine felt Diana would have liked. There were two gowns that Catherine had waiting for Diana to pick up, but that particular dress wasn't one of them. Walker has always kept the details of the dress she donated private.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:23 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicRoyal
It is a trip that will forever live in my memory and I plan to return there again in the future.
Thank you very much for sharing your experience.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassie
Actually, Catherine Walker wrote in her autobiography that the dress Diana was buried in was one Catherine selected. It was not one that Diana had ever seen, but, rather, one that Catherine felt Diana would have liked. There were two gowns that Catherine had waiting for Diana to pick up, but that particular dress wasn't one of them. Walker has always kept the details of the dress she donated private.
Paul Burrell also claimed to have picked the dress she was buried in. Mind you, he claimed to have picked the Christina Stambolian dress she wore to the Serpentine Gallery, which proved to be such a front-page sensation. People do like to rewrite history!
Old 07-09-2006, 06:31 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Paul Burrell also claimed to have picked the dress she was buried in. Mind you, he claimed to have picked the Christina Stambolian dress she wore to the Serpentine Gallery, which proved to be such a front-page sensation. People do like to rewrite history!
I thought he meant that he selected the dress that Mrs. Jay donated for the Princess to wear temporarily. That is what his book says, or, at least, that he and Mrs. Jay went through her wardrobe and selected it together. Did he claim to have been the one who selected the Walker dress somewhere else?

Tags
althorp, diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, dodi fayed, paris, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana, westminster abbey