The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-24-2011, 02:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbugman View Post
Didn't I read somewhere that there was an oval piece of glass in the lid so people could see her face. (Which I aways thought was weird.) I know there was always a flag covering the coffin so the average person couldn't see. But the close family, and the funeral burial attendants would have been able to see her face.
The windowed coffin is a tradition carried over from byegone days across Europe. The deceased were not embalmed.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:01 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I guess this is a question we will never know the answer to. Should he choose to make a trip, it will be a completely private trip with very few people in the know.
Oh most definitely. Its a good way to realize though why it is fitting she is interred at Althorp.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:35 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbugman View Post
Didn't I read somewhere that there was an oval piece of glass in the lid so people could see her face. (Which I aways thought was weird.) I know there was always a flag covering the coffin so the average person couldn't see. But the close family, and the funeral burial attendants would have been able to see her face.
Diana had a terror of the dark, she is said to have always hated it. So Prince Charles specifically requested that type of coffin for her.

I wept when I read that in one of the princess's biographies.

The coffin was also lined with lead-why I don't know. But that is probably why it was so heavy...the pallbearers seemed to be struggling at one point.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:11 PM
Heir Apparent

A lead lined coffin prevents excessive deterioration of the body. It is a hold over from medeival times when remains were returned to the country of origin from great distances. Also, a lead lined coffin will prevent the loss of the body's carbon --- so, DNA evidence or matter available for carbon dating would remain intact. There are many books out there that delve into the subject.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:51 PM
Majesty

Whoa...I did NOT know that KittyAtlanta, thanks!

It is too painful, even now, for me to think of Diana buried......
Old 03-27-2011, 11:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Diana had a terror of the dark, she is said to have always hated it. So Prince Charles specifically requested that type of coffin for her.

I wept when I read that in one of the princess's biographies.

The coffin was also lined with lead-why I don't know. But that is probably why it was so heavy...the pallbearers seemed to be struggling at one point.
Why do I remember reading something along the lines of her coffin had a little window and they turned her head so it was facing towards the window. I hope I'm not going crazy and mixing it up with someone else.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:33 PM
Serene Highness

What I read, recently (I believe, here on this forum) is that French border officials insist on verifying the person in the coffin is indeed the person registered on the transfer paperwork (I believe most nations have similar rules). The way to deal with that is for the family to have a windowed transport coffin (or to agree to open the coffin, which is often terribly distressing to those accompanying the coffin). So Diana was embalmed in France (quickly) and put into a windowed coffin to facilitate return to England as, whatever else divided them, Prince Charles and the people of England all wanted her to come home to rest as quickly as possible (and with as little intrusion into her final resting space as possible).

The windowed coffin was kept covered and then later inserted into a lead coffin for the reasons KittyAtlanta outlined above. Well, they may have not been thinking "DNA" but "preservation," certainly.

Many monarchs and popes and others of rank are so buried.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:52 AM
Heir Apparent

That must been what I read. The windowed coffin was used during her transport back to England.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:06 PM
Heir Apparent

My memory of the her death and the funeral is so vivid.

However, I particularly remember 'I vowe to the my country' which William, so it was reported during the service, insisted should be sung as it was his mummy's favourite. I of course had heard it well before her funeral, and it remains to this day a beloved darling and certainly stirs a good deal of emotion which means I will always wear waterproof mascara should I expect to hear it.

I do think of Diana when I hear it. It's funny how me can at times relate certain songs with people, even if we never knew them personally.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 04-02-2011, 11:43 PM
Royal Highness

This windowed and lead lined coffin for preservation do sort of give identification with the death of Evita Peron. I always always ask and wonder why Diana did not use a helicopter based on the chronic chase from the paparazzi.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:56 PM
Majesty

The Hymn "Christ is Made the Sure Foundation" always takes me back to Charles and Diana's wedding, as does "I Vow to Thee My Country." The second hymn is one that's not sung in churches I go to, but the former one is occasionally. My memories of the wedding are much more vivid than the ones of Diana's funeral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
I do think of Diana when I hear it. It's funny how me can at times relate certain songs with people, even if we never knew them personally.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:45 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
The Hymn "Christ is Made the Sure Foundation" always takes me back to Charles and Diana's wedding, as does "I Vow to Thee My Country." The second hymn is one that's not sung in churches I go to, but the former one is occasionally. My memories of the wedding are much more vivid than the ones of Diana's funeral.
Unfortunately my memories of Diana, Princess of Wales' funeral is more vivid because I think of the shock.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:19 PM
Majesty

That could be, georgiea. I was about the same age as Diana, and so perhaps that's why the wedding impressed itself on me so much. I was caught up in all the romance and apparent joy. By the time that Diana died, "the bloom was off the rose", so to speak. Her death was a surprise to me, but not a huge shock. I didn't experience the grief that many did--although it was a sad event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
Unfortunately my memories of Diana, Princess of Wales' funeral is more vivid because I think of the shock.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:38 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
That could be, georgiea. I was about the same age as Diana, and so perhaps that's why the wedding impressed itself on me so much. I was caught up in all the romance and apparent joy. By the time that Diana died, "the bloom was off the rose", so to speak. Her death was a surprise to me, but not a huge shock. I didn't experience the grief that many did--although it was a sad event.
In 1981 I was a little older than Princess Diana, but I married two weeks later. I thought it was a fairy tale until 1992. Her death shocked me and I did grief for a woman who was just getting her life together.

The three scenes that I remember from the funeral:
1) All the flowers outside KP
2) Her boys, ex husband and ex father-in-law walking behind the coffin
3) The hearse using it window wipers to knock off flowers that were throw at it when it past crowds of people.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:07 AM
Majesty

I remember a voice yelling, "Diana" as the hearse went by. That was probably very hard on her family. And I have a clear memory of her hearse going through the gates at Althorp.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:07 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I remember a voice yelling, "Diana" as the hearse went by. That was probably very hard on her family. And I have a clear memory of her hearse going through the gates at Althorp.
I remember that, as well as the flowers outside of Kensington and Buckingham Palaces. Of course watching her sons walking behind her coffin was heart-wrenching (along with seeing the card on top of the flowers that had 'Mummy' written on the envelope, I believe in Harry's handwriting).

What also stuck in my memory, is seeing William the day before the funeral accepting flowers from a mourner, and saying 'thank you'. I cannot even begin to imagine how difficult all that was for him. Losing a parent is devastating for anyone, young or old, but losing one's parent and having the entire world watch as you grieve for that parent is beyond overwhelming. I remember thinking that he was a very strong individual for being able to go through all those ordeals, with the entire world watching, nonetheless.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:28 PM
Serene Highness

I agree. I believe those two young princes grew up overnight when they lost their mother. I remember watching the funeral, and choking up when I saw the card with the handwritten "Mummy". Diana was a lot of things to many people, but she was a devoted mother first and foremost.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:37 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchessmary View Post
I agree. I believe those two young princes grew up overnight when they lost their mother. I remember watching the funeral, and choking up when I saw the card with the handwritten "Mummy". Diana was a lot of things to many people, but she was a devoted mother first and foremost.
I couldn't have said it better. She was truly a classy and educated woman. I remember seeing her funeral on TV and thought it such a shame that such a phenomenal woman was taken from this world. A truly beautiful soul.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:57 AM
Majesty

Yes, William was unbelievably gracious given his grief and shock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
What also stuck in my memory, is seeing William the day before the funeral accepting flowers from a mourner, and saying 'thank you'. I cannot even begin to imagine how difficult all that was for him.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Commoner

Have you read that article by someone with the last name Grant, who claims he spoke with an x police officer who was a security guard at and around the chapel where Diana's ancestors are buried...They prior to or just after Diana was buried, had what they thought was a break in at the vault...on investigation it was military guards at the slab to the vault...and later it was noted it had been removed and placed back, because of notable wet cement? Maybe Diana is indeed buried long side her dad....
Althorp is a beautiful place though...day i was there was a wicked thunderstorm....I had just gone thru the part where i think there was rose petals...and other sad stuff...The lights started to flicker...but later i think a rainbow...
I guess more would be known by now, if things were different...
Then again seems some things are kept a great secret...I never heard till recent,
Harry had Diana's engagement ring...or William her watch, cause she had used it to teach him how to tell time....super awesome, super touching!

Tags
althorp, diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, dodi fayed, paris, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana, westminster abbey