The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-17-2011, 04:13 PM
Nobility

I read Alstair Campbell's first diary. My impression is that he has little respect for the royal family and that he is an opportunist. The People's Princess (which has been used before) was his big contribution to the sad funeral mess.

I think he is bring this up now to sell more books. If there were true extra details about the funeral, kids etc. they should have been in his first book.

It is nice to see that most of the DM readers can see thru Campbell.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:19 PM
Royal Highness

I remember Prince William did not want to walk behind the princess' coffin.
It took the Duke of Endinburgh to walk with him.

My question is -Did Prince Charles want to honor Princess Diana by walking behind her coffin?

Old 01-17-2011, 04:21 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
Did Prince Charles want to honor Princess Diana by walking behind her coffin?
Nobody knows the answer to that except Charles.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:34 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthreats View Post
I think he is bring this up now to sell more books. If there were true extra details about the funeral, kids etc. they should have been in his first book.

It is nice to see that most of the DM readers can see thru Campbell.

Did Campbell ask the DM to write this article or is this the DM choosing which part of the diary to highlight?

Given the DMs anti-Charles campaign I see this as the DM picking up one part of the diary to discredit Charles rather than Mr Campbell choosing to do so, despite his well-known anti-royal stance.

Mr Campbell's first diary, if I remember correctly was always only a taster for the more complete diary, which is what this is.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:45 AM
Nobility

The first diary was not a teaser. It was an organized dailyor wEekly account of events. He was very detailed re: funeral events. My point is if this really happened and was important it would have been in the first book.

He is a public relations expert -He knows how to get media attention and how to sell books
Old 01-24-2011, 04:10 PM
Serene Highness

Diana is dead -- I have to express what the people are feeling
Diana is dead -- I have to express what the people are feeling - Books, Entertainment - Independent.ie

Extract from Alastair Campbell Diaries Volume Two: Power And The People 1997-1999 by Alastair Campbell
Old 02-17-2011, 06:28 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
I can not tell if Princess Diana purposely upstaged the prince. Or whether the prince and princess fought for the limelight.
I don't think Diana did fight for the limelight or deliberately set out to upstage Charles. It's just that by being so caring of others in such a heartfelt and pro-active manner, and that she was young and glamorous, that she made the rest of the royal family look stuffy and uncaring. Royalty hates competition from any source for they'd been used to occupying the limelight almost from birth and they took it for granted.

I also don't think they ever stopped loving each other either but Diana had a lot of issues of her own and there was the friction caused by their big age gap and differing personalities that made it hard for them to live with each other.

The funeral was one of the very rare occasions when Charles stood up for Diana, for the Queen wanted a simple, private funeral for Diana but Charles was having none of it.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:42 PM

Diana was not buried on any island, she was cremated and her ashes were placed with her father in the Spencer Chapel in the local parish church. It has never been publicly confirmed to keep the weirdos away . Her wishes was to be placed next to her father but due to lack of space in the chapel she was cremated like her father Johhny Spencer.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

The cremation comment does not seem far fetched to me. I will believe she is buried on that island when her brother sells Althorp and they have to exhume her for burial elsewhere.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:41 PM
Royal Highness

I hope she is buried in the Spencer vault. Being buried on an island by herself is very sad.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:42 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Helvin View Post
I don't think Diana did fight for the limelight or deliberately set out to upstage Charles. It's just that by being so caring of others in such a heartfelt and pro-active manner, and that she was young and glamorous, that she made the rest of the royal family look stuffy and uncaring. Royalty hates competition from any source for they'd been used to occupying the limelight almost from birth and they took it for granted.

I also don't think they ever stopped loving each other either but Diana had a lot of issues of her own and there was the friction caused by their big age gap and differing personalities that made it hard for them to live with each other.

The funeral was one of the very rare occasions when Charles stood up for Diana, for the Queen wanted a simple, private funeral for Diana but Charles was having none of it.
When Charles stood up for Diana he served himself because he did not want the press to turn on him or the BRF.Jackie got the hysteria of Diana and more and John Kennedy was not ruffled. He used it to his advantage. Charles could have done the same. They could have made it as a married couple but Charles turned to Camilla.and against Diana Instead he should have been proud that he chose her as his wife and she became so adored. It was a reflection on him. his taste was impeccable . However he was insecure...When Diana died I think Charles realized that he had to pay tribute to her... and that was the side of him that always loved her and always will.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:01 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_madams View Post
Diana was not buried on any island, she was cremated and her ashes were placed with her father in the Spencer Chapel in the local parish church. It has never been publicly confirmed to keep the weirdos away . Her wishes was to be placed next to her father but due to lack of space in the chapel she was cremated like her father Johhny Spencer.

But her will clearly says it was her wish to be buried - nothing about being near her father - so she was buried.

A cremation would have gone against her written instructions in her will.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:10 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya
When Charles stood up for Diana he served himself because he did not want the press to turn on him or the BRF.When Diana died I think Charles realized that he had to pay tribute to her... and that was the side of him that always loved her and always will.
Plus I think he wanted to do right by his sons who had just lost their mother.....
Old 03-18-2011, 12:54 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
Plus I think he wanted to do right by his sons who had just lost their mother.....
There is no point doing justice to their mother as her coffin goes past.I understand what you mean intrinsically but I hope you understand me too.
Charles if he was going to do justice could have afforde Diana a helicopter; stayed married; reconciled with Diana.
However no matter what is said of Diana's mental health rumours which are all balderdash to me I have to say that for her short life Diana had the imapact of no other royal ever.Here humanitarian efforts were above and beyond. I am certain Diana would be proud of her sons.They are truly fine young men.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
When Charles stood up for Diana he served himself because he did not want the press to turn on him or the BRF. They could have made it as a married couple but Charles turned to Camilla.and against Diana Instead he should have been proud that he chose her as his wife and she became so adored. It was a reflection on him. his taste was impeccable . However he was insecure...When Diana died I think Charles realized that he had to pay tribute to her... and that was the side of him that always loved her and always will.
And you know this for a fact? Could you please supply a reputeable source.

I have a passionate dislike for "Revisionist History" and this is an exemplary example of how using it people can attribute uttlerly vile and base motives for why people behaved the way they did.

Charles did what he thought was the right thing for both his children's mother and for himself. We have no other reputeable sources to gainsay him. For that matter, neither have you, unless of course you were Charles personal psychoanalyst or Charles and Diana's personal Marriage Guidance Counsellor.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:32 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

What if Diana had faked her own death and is living under a false identity in small-town America? | Mail Online

yeah sure. there she is meeting up with James Dean and Elvis.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Perhaps she had radical surgery and re-emerged as Michelle Obama!
Old 03-18-2011, 07:29 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
You forgot Marilyn Monroe
Old 03-18-2011, 08:01 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
There is no point doing justice to their mother as her coffin goes past.I understand what you mean intrinsically but I hope you understand me too.
Charles if he was going to do justice could have afforde Diana a helicopter; stayed married; reconciled with Diana.
and been miserable for the rest of his life.

Diana didn't make Charles happy so why think that she would be happy with a man who was unhappy?

I always love posters who say that Charles should have stayed married to Diana and then she would have been happy but... isn't Charles also entitled to happiness? He was unhappy with Diana but to make her happy he should stay in an unhappy situation - a bit hypocritical in my opinion.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Well said. In the end it always seems to come down to "if he had stayed married to her she would have been happy and she wouldn't be dead". But she wasn't happy and we have plenty of evidence to prove it.

Yes it is hypocritical. He is never to be allowed to be happy.

That is his prescribed purgetory and he had better live a miserable life to somehow atone for Diana's unhappiness.

That they had both moved on with their lives and had become quite amicable in their dealings with each other means nothing to these people. That they may have loved each other but no longer been in love was also irrelevant. They will never allow Charles an ordinary, decent grief or regret at a young life prematurely ended.

People like this poster are filled with based on mythology propogated by Morton, Burrell, et al. And that is the saddest thing of all.

Tags
althorp, diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, dodi fayed, paris, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana, westminster abbey