The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Administrator

It wouldn't surprise me.

Although Diana wasn't the love of Charles's life...at one time he did love her. I have read that by the time of her death...Charles and Diana had reached a level of peace and friendship. And she is/was the mother of his children.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Coincidentally, I was just reading Christopher Anderson's "Diana's Boys"; and he writes that witnesses said that Charles head "snapped back" and he emitted a terrible noise.
There is no question about it that Charles was very deeply affected by the sudden death of his ex-wife. This showed me that no matter what garbage was in the media and rumors and scandals about the Waleses marriage and divorce, there was no real animosity between them at the time of Diana's death. Being an ex-husband, Charles didn't even have an obligation to fly to Paris at that time but he chose to out of respect for Diana and for his sons. This really raised my opinion of Charles a bit higher in my book and has grown ever since.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:05 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I have heard (read somewhere) that he didn't faint...but kind of gasped in shock. More like a realization that she was dead when he say the body.
I read about this story too. It was in "The day Diana died" by Christopher Anderson.

I didn't know Charles wore Diana's band until he got married again. Do you know where this source is from? Does anyone read about this in a book?
Old 12-11-2010, 08:04 PM
Commoner

I know the Queen bowed when Diana's coffin passed, but did Princess Margaret bow?
Old 12-11-2010, 09:19 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChantalC View Post
I read about this story too. It was in "The day Diana died" by Christopher Anderson.

I didn't know Charles wore Diana's band until he got married again. Do you know where this source is from? Does anyone read about this in a book?

Have read it in books and seen photos of his hand clearly showing the wedding band on the same finger as his signet ring and behind that ring. The signet ring has the Prince of Wales crest on it and next to that ring is where he wore his wedding band to Diana.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:27 PM
Serene Highness

I don't think Princess Margaret bowed, from what I can remember.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

I can't be certain, but I think she did. It was a few seconds after the Queen, not very deep, and the camera angle was partially blocked by one of the King's Troop riders.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Have read it in books and seen photos of his hand clearly showing the wedding band on the same finger as his signet ring and behind that ring. The signet ring has the Prince of Wales crest on it and next to that ring is where he wore his wedding band to Diana.
Thank you for your information about Charles wearing Diana's band, Iluvbertie. I will find the old pictures of him wearing her band.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

I believe that Bertie is saying that CHarles wore his own band, not Diana's. He wore his wedding band on his pinky below the signet ring during the years of his first marriage.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChantalC View Post

Hello magazine had photos of Charles's finger with both his signet ring and the wedding ring from his wedding to Diana. He removed the wedding ring after his engagement to Camilla, as did Camilla remove her wedding ring from Andrew. There were pictures and an article in early 2005.

There were also articles in various newspapers about Charles wearing his wedding ring to Diana after she died.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:50 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Coincidentally, I was just reading Christopher Anderson's "Diana's Boys"; and he writes that witnesses said that Charles head "snapped back" and he emitted a terrible noise.
Not surprising, it must have been a terrible shock.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

I will never understand why Diana was buried at Althorp, in the middle of nowhere!
I know Earl Spencer opined that she'd have wanted it that way, but I don't believe it for a moment. She was really a city girl and I think if she'd had a preference, she would have preferred to be in the heart of London.

I have always thought Diana should have been buried in Westminster Abbey; it's nonsense to say there wasn't room! (They made room for Olivier, after all).
Old 12-20-2010, 07:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I will never understand why Diana was buried at Althorp, in the middle of nowhere!
Not only an island in the middle of nowhere, but an island that had also been used as a pet cemetary for family pets. I suppose it is peaceful and serene there and perhaps gives a semblance of Diana finally at peace.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

There was some speculation at the time that The Oval burial sight was a decoy and that she was burried with her father and other ancestors in the church in the village by Althorp. By saying it was the oval, she would be undisturbed (if the dead can be 'disturbed') in the church.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:27 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I know Earl Spencer opined that she'd have wanted it that way, but I don't believe it for a moment. She was really a city girl and I think if she'd had a preference, she would have preferred to be in the heart of London.

I have always thought Diana should have been buried in Westminster Abbey; it's nonsense to say there wasn't room! (They made room for Olivier, after all).

Olivier died in 1989 and was one of the last to be buried there. He also was cremated and Diana's will clearly insisted that she be buried and not cremated.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Olivier died in 1989 and was one of the last to be buried there. He also was cremated and Diana's will clearly insisted that she be buried and not cremated.
Even so, there's plenty of room if they cared to bury her there.
Anyone who's visited the Abbey knows that so why say there isn't room?

They could have made a tomb in the Cloisters, for instance, where visitors could leave flowers. I suspect Diana would have liked that.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:50 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Did she ever say she wanted to be buried in such a "royal place"?
Old 12-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Did she ever say she wanted to be buried in such a "royal place"?

I don't know that she ever said anything specific one way or another; I guess I was going by her comment that she wanted to be known as a "People's Princess."
Well, that seems in keeping with being buried in a more accessible place.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:22 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Can people visit her where she is buried?
Old 12-21-2010, 11:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Can people visit her where she is buried?
I understand it's possible at limited times of the year, for those willing to make the time and effort to trek out there to Althrop (though I think her grave can only be viewed at a distance).

It isn't easy or convenient, though.

Just think of all the visitors there would be, if she'd been buried in London!

Tags
althorp, diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, dodi fayed, paris, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana, westminster abbey