The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-17-2010, 06:22 PM
Royal Highness

Zonk, Prince Charles was worried about appearances to his subjects. I think that was a reason for him to go to Paris an well as his love for Diana, Princess of Wales. I read somewhere that he wanted to remember the young, inexperienced girl before the problems.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:30 PM
Serene Highness

I agree. It was the time for the men in her life to step forward and take care of her. I wasn't crazy about HRH the Duke of Edinburgh in her procession, but everything else was done tastefully.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Diana and the Duke had some helpful correspondence over the years; although, given that they're both passionate people, they could have been quite nasty about each other at times. I believe that he was in the procession as support for William and Harry and not as Diana's former father-in-law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchessmary View Post
I agree. It was the time for the men in her life to step forward and take care of her. I wasn't crazy about HRH the Duke of Edinburgh in her procession, but everything else was done tastefully.
I think it's also important to remember that, whatever misery Charles and Diana caused each other, Charles was the father of Diana's sons. The boys were obviously too young to make the trip themselves, and so it makes sense that their father should go instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
I read somewhere that he wanted to remember the young, inexperienced girl before the problems.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:11 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by agogo View Post
One of the most tragic days. Charles was there in Paris for her, despite their bitter divorce.
Charles did love Diana a lot. But he just could not take it like JFK did with Jackie's fame- He loved her because he chose her as a wife and made a success of it while they were together- He knew he loved her and I have read that he has had her marriage band soldered inside his ring and wears it.With Diana I think he realized he he had everything and could forgive and go with everything she did because she was special and charismatic.Together they covered all ground and I think he was thankful of that.Itis rumoured thatwhen he flew to Paris and they took the sheet off Diana's corpse and revealed a naked corpse Charles fainted. He asked that a gown be sent from the English embassy to clothe her properly as she was to be transported back to England.
Charles did love Diana and she was everything to him because she gave him life, passion and progeny and everything in life he will no longer have ever.He faced a bit of his own mortality through her death And I think he realized that Diana came to his life for a host of truly special reasons that day she departed for Upper Jerusalem and ever after. Amen
Old 07-18-2010, 05:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Slightly off topic, here...but sometimes I wonder how different Charles would have been if his grandfather had lived longer and his mother would have had more time with her young family. Perhaps he could have learned from George VI what an asset a charming and charismatic wife could be.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:28 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Slightly off topic, here...but sometimes I wonder how different Charles would have been if his grandfather had lived longer and his mother would have had more time with her young family. Perhaps he could have learned from George VI what an asset a charming and charismatic wife could be.
What an excellent point you have brought up. That hypothesis about what an assest a wife can be is something I never thought of - thank you It is really something to contemplte regarding Charles and Diana.
When Charles realized what an asset Diana was i think it was too late.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:21 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Mermaid that sounds wonderful.

But I have read that Prince Charles was raise by nannies and the Queen Mom. He loved his grandmother's charm and charisma. I think Prince Charles hated when Diana, Princess of Wales got the press and subjects attention and not him. Because I was not a fly on the wall during their walkabouts I can not tell if Princess Diana purposely upstaged the prince. Or whether the prince and princess fought for the limelight. I do know that the prince and the duchess seem to go on walkabouts without competing and seem happy together.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:05 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchessmary View Post
I wasn't crazy about HRH the Duke of Edinburgh in her procession, but everything else was done tastefully.

I read somewhere he did that because William did not want to walk and his grandfather said you should, and I will walk with you to support you, so i think it was more for the boys-I personally understood why Charles Spencer walked but wasn't crazy about it-
Old 12-08-2010, 05:44 PM
Nobility

It was explained in one of the last chapters of Elizabeth and Philip: A Royal Marriage by Gyles Brandreth.

I don't have my book with me at the moment, but according to the author, William was upset by the idea of a funeral procession because he felt that they were holding "a bloody parade" to celebrate his mother's death. Philip tried to reassure him and told William, "You might regret it later if you don't walk. If I walk, will you walk with me?"

Philip was probably drawing on his own experience attending the funeral of his sister Cecilie when he was just a teenager when he counseled William.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

When did it happen? Was his sister married at that time?
Old 12-08-2010, 06:12 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora View Post
When did it happen?Was his sister married at that time?
Princess Cecilie died on 16th November 1937 in an aeroplane accident. She was married Georg Donatus, Hereditary Grand Duke of Hesse. Cecilie died with her husband, two young sons, mother-in-law and the baby she was carrying.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Princess Cecilie died on 16th November 1937 in an aeroplane accident. She was married Georg Donatus, Hereditary Grand Duke of Hesse. Cecilie died with her husband, two young sons, mother-in-law and the baby she was carrying.
That's terrible!Then I understand the empatic feelings of Prince Phillip when the tragical Princess Diana's death happened
Old 12-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Heir Apparent

In the early years of the marriage, they were quite cooperative. Charles was the leader at the beginning and directed and supported Diana when she was learning. Some of this can be seen on early videos on YouTube. He'd touch her back or you can hear him calling her name when someone wanted her attention. It was quite sweet to see. The "upstaging" didn't start in earnest until the late 80s IMO.

Quote:
Because I was not a fly on the wall during their walkabouts I can not tell if Princess Diana purposely upstaged the prince. Or whether the prince and princess fought for the limelight.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:32 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that the Duke probably understood Diana more than she realized. He also had separated parents. His upbringing was even harder in a way, because he wasn't even raised by his own parents and he had no money of his own; unlike Diana, who had her own money through inheritance as a young woman and could spend time with her parents.

Quote:
That's terrible!Then I understand the empatic feelings of Prince Phillip when the tragical Princess Diana's death happened
Old 12-09-2010, 01:26 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Quote:
I think that the Duke probably understood Diana more than she realized. He also had separated parents. His upbringing was even harder in a way, because he wasn't even raised by his own parents and he had no money of his own; unlike Diana, who had her own money through inheritance as a young woman and could spend time with her parents.
I think the press presents this image of Philip as the stern disciplinarian who disapproves of everything, but he was a lot more like Diana than anyone remembered. After his mother had a breakdown and was institutionalized, his father ran off to Monte Carlo and his sisters were all married with their own families. Philip ended up in boarding schools and a succession of different relatives.

His uncle George Milford Haven helped provide some guidance, but he died of cancer at a relatively young age. Philip reportedly told people that his favorite sister was Cecilie and he enjoyed visiting her and Georg Donatus on his school breaks. Then they died when he was just 16. Their funeral was also the first time he saw his parents again, but it was probably the last time he saw his father.

And just like Diana, Philip had his own problems with courtiers who did not approve of him when he married into the family. There's the story of the courtier who tried to tell him the history of Windsor Castle, and finally Philip cut him off by stating that his mother, Princess Alice, was actually born there.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
I have read that he has had her marriage band soldered inside his ring and wears it.With Diana I think he realized he he had everything and could forgive and go with everything she did because she was special and charismatic.Together they covered all ground and I think he was thankful of that.Itis rumoured thatwhen he flew to Paris and they took the sheet off Diana's corpse and revealed a naked corpse Charles fainted. He asked that a gown be sent from the English embassy to clothe her properly as she was to be transported back to England.
May I ask what is your source for the soldering of the ring story? I find it highly unlikely that Charles is walking around wearing Diana's wedding band. Also, I have never read anything about Charles fainting at the sight of Diana's corpse.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:22 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
May I ask what is your source for the soldering of the ring story? I find it highly unlikely that Charles is walking around wearing Diana's wedding band. Also, I have never read anything about Charles fainting at the sight of Diana's corpse.
A rare event Scooter - I too have never heard these stories.

Charles did wear his own wedding band from his marriage to Diana until he married Camilla but as far as I am aware no longer wears the one he had with Diana.

I also have never heard of him fainting when he saw Diana but have heard that he insisted on a dress for her to take her home.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:19 AM
Administrator

I have heard (read somewhere) that he didn't faint...but kind of gasped in shock. More like a realization that she was dead when he say the body.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:16 AM
Royal Highness

I read that Prince Charles when he saw Diana, Princess of Wales in the hospital after she died. He made a horrible sound and almost fainted. Paul Burell I believe did almost fainted when he saw her because the fan keeping the room made her eye lashes and hair move.

What I remember is Prince Charles wanting earring on the princess because she never left home without her earrings. Also that he wanted the public to see here outside the hospital. So they left through the front doors instead of the roof in a helicopter.

Also I read that he did wear Princess Diana's wedding band until he got married again.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Coincidentally, I was just reading Christopher Anderson's "Diana's Boys"; and he writes that witnesses said that Charles head "snapped back" and he emitted a terrible noise.

Quote:
I read that Prince Charles when he saw Diana, Princess of Wales in the hospital after she died. He made a horrible sound and almost fainted.

Tags
althorp, diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, dodi fayed, paris, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana, westminster abbey