The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-04-2010, 12:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Would they have been able to get a helicopter at 12 in the morning at such short notice? Dodi's apartment wasn't far from the hotel and I know there were a lot of paparazzi. But taking a helicopter to an apartment building is a bit much.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:39 PM
Majesty

Both the Fayeds and Diana were wealthy enough to own their own and have a helipad installed at both hotels and thus have it waiting.

However, which no helipad at either hotel, having a helicopter wouldn't have been an option at any time.

Personally I have never really understood why, if they wanted to avoid the public and paparazzi, they didn't just stay where they were. To me Dodi and the rest of the Fayed pack wanted the attention and in their arrogance believed that they could handle any situation but they weren't up to scratch.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Heir Apparent

This is one of the mysteries of what was really going on in Diana's head that night. I wonder if Dodi had planned something major in the apartment that night (e.g. a proposal, even if Diana wasn't interested) and pressured everyone to go along with his plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Personally I have never really understood why, if they wanted to avoid the public and paparazzi, they didn't just stay where they were. To me Dodi and the rest of the Fayed pack wanted the attention and in their arrogance believed that they could handle any situation but they weren't up to scratch.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

I remember watching the Last Days of a Princess docu-drama on TLC. And some of the people who were with the Princess and Dodi (the bodyguards, Dodi's maseuess) have all said that he was the most bothered by the photographers. The bodyguard Kez Wingfield said that he and Trevor Resse-Jones found Dodi to be difficult becuase he kept changing his plans and wouldn't let them know until the last minute. He even said that Dodi didn't want them to accompany him and Diana to the apartment. The person calling all the shots that night was Dodi. He in the end did pressure everyone to go along with his plans.
How can one reason with somebody like that.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Overprotective? Not so much, with that outcome.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:33 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
This is one of the mysteries of what was really going on in Diana's head that night. I wonder if Dodi had planned something major in the apartment that night (e.g. a proposal, even if Diana wasn't interested) and pressured everyone to go along with his plan.
Mermaid I wondered that myself about something major planned at Dodi's apartment that night. Unfortunatley it will stay a mystery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
...The person calling all the shots that night was Dodi.
Sirhon, I agree with you. Dodi was starting to get bothered at the end of the trip. I read that Dodi was always impatient in traffic and wanted his driver to go faster. I believe Dodi did pressure his help to go along with his plans even if it was dangerous.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:18 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
She certainly could have afforded a helicopter ride now and then. The one time that I remember her using a helicopter for a personal reason was when she and Dodi helicoptered in to visit a psychic that last summer. Sometimes, I think that Diana was not in control of herself or anything around her during the summer of 1997. Sad.
I have no idea what the last hours were about as they Dodi and Princess Di seeemd to be shuttling back and forth from somewhere.Either they were restless or Dodi was possibly going to propose.We will never know.
Just as the DOE intelligently persuaded Wills and Harry to walk with him in the funeral procession I think Diana could have always used a helicopter.
However she had become so enmeshed in her situations that even before this no one bothered to inform her of possibilities.I don't care what problems they made her face I miss her in the world.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:44 PM
Heir Apparent

I especially miss her during the big royal occasions, like Trooping the Colour, Royal Ascot, and the family church-going at Christmas and Easter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
I don't care what problems they made her face I miss her in the world.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:59 PM
Serene Highness

What really annoys me is that Dodi wasn't trying to keep their "relationship" quiet. He took every opportunity to have himself photographed with the Princess of Wales. If that doesn't fire up the papparazzi, nothing will.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:50 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchessmary View Post
What really annoys me is that Dodi wasn't trying to keep their "relationship" quiet. He took every opportunity to have himself photographed with the Princess of Wales. If that doesn't fire up the papparazzi, nothing will.
The only thing that fired up the papparazzi was the money they would be paid for the photographs which they knew the public would pay through the nose for (yes the press would actually pay the money but the press knew that an original photo of them in a clinch would have millions of fans around the world in a frenzy to buy the magazine/paper with the photo).
Old 07-15-2010, 03:19 PM
Aristocracy

This is not the sort of thread that I would normally contibute to.
I agree with you Iluvbertie Earl Spencer said himself that every newspaper editor had blood on his hands. I was in my early 30's when Diana died and can remember how magazines/newspapers would "fly" off the shelves if there was a picture of Diana on the front. I was never a great fan of hers , but I do believe that in a way most people were all responsible for her death because they bought the papers and magazines, being greedy for information about Diana and her private life.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:31 PM
Heir Apparent

The whole Diana/press/public wheel was constantly in motion: Diana needed publicity; in some strange way, a lot of us needed Diana; the papers needed to keep their readers happy. In some ways, I think that the cycle ended the only way that it could have. There would have been tragedy for someone, somewhere. I don't think that people would have lost their fascination with her. It seemed to just grow and grow, even when the news was bad. She was an industry as well as a person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady of hay View Post
I was in my early 30's when Diana died and can remember how magazines/newspapers would "fly" off the shelves if there was a picture of Diana on the front..
Old 07-15-2010, 07:05 PM
Serene Highness

The only person responsible for the death of Diana was Diana herself. She could have used a helicopter . Diana got into a car in the middle of the night to head out to who knows where and she by her own volition and without duress entered the automobile.In as much as I have affection for her person she was tragically flawed and I have written again about her bad choices again and again starting with Charles and leading to the night she desided to go out at that ungodly hour of the morning.No passing the buck here. Diana was not JFK .I am certainly not implicated here and neither is anyone outside those involved in the crash.I have no blood on my hands either from Caesar or Diana.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:11 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
She certainly could have afforded a helicopter ride now and then. The one time that I remember her using a helicopter for a personal reason was when she and Dodi helicoptered in to visit a psychic that last summer. Sometimes, I think that Diana was not in control of herself or anything around her during the summer of 1997. Sad.
There was a pathology in this attention and hounding from the press Diana was getting.Certainly she could have had a copter at her disposal at anytime if it posed a security risk which it did and Diana had proved that.
I sometimes wonder if those who surrounded her were as deep as the dish water.
Trevor Rees Jones the only surviving memeber of the party in Diana's automobile was helicoptered to Britain from France if I remember correctly.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:16 PM
Serene Highness

Diana was on holiday and having fun. She was foolish for not fastening her seatbelt. Another what if??? Would she had survived and been maimed? We can only guess. I sometimes wish that the British royal family would've sued the Fayhed family for wrongful death.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:31 AM
Courtier

One of the most tragic days. Charles was there in Paris for her, despite their bitter divorce.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:00 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I think Charles went for his sons more than anything.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:40 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
The only person responsible for the death of Diana was Diana herself. She could have used a helicopter .
Helicopter is an unusual mode of transport to zip about in . The truth is that Diana was killed by speed and drink driving. The only thing she's responsible for (if she even noticed) was getting in the car with that driver.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

Charles was there for his sons and for Diana. He did love her at one point.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
Charles was there for his sons and for Diana. He did love her at one point.
I totally agree.

Although the marriage did not start out with the best intentions nor did it that way...at some point they were happy. There was love. Not the love that Charles has for Camilla or the love that Diana was seeking but love. There are several pictures that in my mind attest to that.

If you look at pictures of Charles when he went with Sarah and Jane to view and bring back the body, he was devastated. For about six months to a year prior to her death, Diana and Charles were getting on VERY well. They were becoming friends and they had two children to raise. He was torn up about her death for his sons as well as the death of a friend.

Tags
althorp, diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, dodi fayed, paris, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana, westminster abbey