The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-13-2009, 06:21 PM
Aristocracy

Well that makes sense GillW, after what has happened to some other famous peoples graves.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:10 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
Yes, you are proving that.

What has to be understood is that they were icons when they were alive, and for the generations which shared in their lifetime. These generations, our generations, will age and eventually die, and the generations left will not view Diana or Grace as icons, but as historical figures. Remote identities of times since passed. They'll read of them in the history sections of their libraries or view portraits of them hung in museums. They way it should be, imo.
But there's also images of Grace and Diana on film that will make them seem more accesible to future generations than some historical figures seem to us now. You can watch Grace's movies or see film clips of Diana, like the Panorama interview. I think that will keep them before us. Diana was more famous than Grace though, IMO. But certainly, it's been awhile since both these women were with us, and people naturally move on and future generations will have their own icons. It's their legacies and descendents that live on, not the women themselves.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:29 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace Angel View Post
It's their legacies and descendents that live on, not the women themselves.
So true Grace Angel.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Gyles Brandreth, ex-politician and author, is having some recollections published in the Mail-online.
He has close connections to Prince Philip and this part refers to Diana's funeral:

I was surprised to see Prince Philip in the formal funeral procession, but I have now learnt why he was there.
Prince Charles and Charles Spencer were expected to walk, with the boys, but it seems that Prince Harry and, in particular, Prince William were initially reluctant.
The Duke of Edinburgh, who had not planned to walk (he is merely the ex-father-in-law, after all), said to William: 'If you don't walk, you may regret it later. I think you should do it. If I walk, will you walk with me?'
Old 10-21-2009, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Thanks you Warren for sharing this information.

How lovely of the DofE to do this for William.

I do agree with the concept that William might have regretted not doing the walk.

As many know, in life sometimes you don't get a chance to redo certain events (prom, graduation, births, deaths).

Old 10-21-2009, 04:28 PM
Majesty

That the DoE said something along those lines to William was made known at the time - i.e. a day or so before the funeral.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Well, it might be new to some of us.

In the days after Diana's death and long past the funeral, I literally couldn't take in any additional information.

I purchased tons of magazines, papers, etc and I haven't read any of them to this day. In addition, I have not watched any video of the funeral, etc.

Until I became a British mod, I rarely ventured into the Diana forum.

So I consider this information good to know.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

France has been found liable for ‘unnecessary delays’ in the investigation of Princess Diana’s death.
The Paris-based Court of Grand Instance also ordered the Republic to pay a nominal sum of just under £5,000 compensation to Harrods boss Mohammed Al Fayed, whose son Dodi died alongside the Princess in a Paris car crash in August 1997.
In a sternly worded ruling, judges said there had been particular problems with establishing that the couple’s driver, Henri Paul, had been drunk.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
£ 5 000… Honestly, a symbolic pound would have been enough for that - it's not like he's in need of money.

Yes, they were unnecessary delays and procedures but I'm not sure they truly took in consideration the pressure the working teams had to face. The press, the public, the families,…

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 10-23-2009, 10:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

Even 20 pence would be too much.

The French authorities were put under enormous pressure dealing with the death and aftermath ,as you say. If only someone would take him to court and sue for the death of Diana due to his drunk driver and apparent lack of security for her!
Old 10-23-2009, 03:46 PM
Heir Apparent

I quite agree; but who could sue him? Her remaining family? Her sons aren't likely to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
If only someone would take him to court and sue for the death of Diana due to his drunk driver and apparent lack of security for her!
Old 10-23-2009, 04:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Charlie Spencer would have a good case.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:32 PM
Heir Apparent

For wrongful death, perhaps?

Quote:
Old 10-25-2009, 11:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

In France, you can only sue if you are a relative. I'm not sure what are the conditions in England. Once again, it will be difficult to decide in which country the case should be submitted to a court. Henri Paul was French and was recognized to be involved in the death of the people in that car. But then who employed him? Mr Fayed. Can he be sued for employing someone unstable who mixed alcohol and antidepressant drugs? He'll plead he didn't know about it. So I doubt there's anything to be done and that's too bad.

Because it matters...
Old 10-25-2009, 08:16 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that if Dodi had died in similar circumstances but with another person's chauffeur at the wheel, his father would have no problem finding someone to sue and a reason to sue. Perhaps the Spencers aren't a litigious family and realize that nothing can bring their sister back. And the matter of proving the case would bring everything back into the media again. Perhaps it simply wouldn't be worth putting William and Harry through it all again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth View Post
In France, you can only sue if you are a relative. I'm not sure what are the conditions in England. Once again, it will be difficult to decide in which country the case should be submitted to a court. Henri Paul was French and was recognized to be involved in the death of the people in that car. But then who employed him? Mr Fayed. Can he be sued for employing someone unstable who mixed alcohol and antidepressant drugs? He'll plead he didn't know about it. So I doubt there's anything to be done and that's too bad.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

What I wonder is would they have a chance to win against Fayed. I think some people are dying to see him prosecuted but public support isn't enough. He definitely should have given money to the Spencers and the Princes but the fact that his son also died makes it even more complicated.

Because it matters...
Old 10-26-2009, 06:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

It just seems so incredibly wrong that he should benefit, in any way, shape or form, from the death of Diana or Dodi, it seems indecent.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:58 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
In America Earl Spencer wouldn't have grounds to sue. A suit would have to be brought on behalf of the Estate of the Princess of Wales, which ultimately would benefit the princes. My guess is the princes would have to initiate it, and they're probably tired of all this litigation and would prefer not to have any further revelations about their mother.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
In America Earl Spencer wouldn't have grounds to sue. A suit would have to be brought on behalf of the Estate of the Princess of Wales, which ultimately would benefit the princes. My guess is the princes would have to initiate it, and they're probably tired of all this litigation and would prefer not to have any further revelations about their mother.
Given the fact that the two children were minors at the time of their mother's death, the executor/executrix/guardian of the minor children could sue for wrongful death, if they had grounds.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:07 AM
Heir Apparent

She certainly could have afforded a helicopter ride now and then. The one time that I remember her using a helicopter for a personal reason was when she and Dodi helicoptered in to visit a psychic that last summer. Sometimes, I think that Diana was not in control of herself or anything around her during the summer of 1997. Sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
But Diana also did much good in the world by expressing whatever she had to give of herself to her calling. Even on the final night of her life I thought of Jackie and how she had always used a helicopter and I had seen her in Athens many times while the razzi were there waiting..zoom lenses and all. while Jackie would enter a helicopter at the top of the building and fly off. The razzi would be left behind. bye bye.And that is what I hoped for Diana too.Diana was neither damaged nor ill in any way I see.Diana was too self absorbed to realize she might have another choice as far as the razzi go and this kind of sensibility extended into other areas of her life without her realizingthe possible consequences..
You did not have to be Einstein to have figured this one out.Helicopter.

Tags
althorp, diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, dodi fayed, paris, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana, westminster abbey