Last Hours, Death, Transfer from France, Funeral and Interment

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Goodness surely it was up to her family and loved ones to decide what was best....

It was and they did. For people to be picking over such things over 20years later is more than a little disturbing. It's like the old wedding threads only with which bit of the funeral did you like/dislike most or which funeral did you like best.

It was and they did. For people to be picking over such things over 20years later is more than a little disturbing. It's like the old wedding threads only with which bit of the funeral did you like/dislike most or which funeral did you like best.

It Is a little odd but I wouldn't say it is like talking about a past wedding. Even with what we know about C and Diana, a wedding is still a happy ceremonial and there were good bits to it and to the marriage as a whole.. But a funeral for someone as young as Diana is just sadness. And it was up to her family to decide what to do about having a closed or open casket.

I think it is now time to move on from discussing the issue of Diana's coffin - the fact is that open caskets for public viewing or even otherwise are not done for members of the British Royal Family and so it is a mute point.

Those whose brainchild was to use Diana's death as a theme park exhibit to rake in the green dollars aren't only in very poor taste and capable of exploiting the death of a woman whose sons are still very much alive but also, IMO, the sustenance of bottom feeders.

I do hope someone does take action against this sort of thing or at least the public, itself, will find it so much in bad taste that they avoid it like the plague.

Unfortunately I suspect that there will be many people who will pay to see this garbage.

Organisations like this do a lot of research before spending the millions on these sorts of exhibits. If they don't think they will make a profit they wouldn't be doing it ... sadly.

It is hard for those of us who are royal watchers and are old enough to remember Diana to realise that an entire generation have grown up with no personal knowledge of her - to them she is simply a person in a history book - no different to JFK, Henry VIII or Julius Ceasar.

I must be missing the obvious. Which decision are you referring g to?

I must be missing the obvious. Which decision are you referring g to?

I think she must be referring to the paragraphs under the heading-

The funeral of Queen Victoria: an innovative approach

followed by

Since 1901: innovation becomes tradition

The funeral of Queen Victoria: an innovative approach

followed by

Since 1901: innovation becomes tradition

Thankyou...my concern was simply that all the details of Diana's funeral were an extension of her innovations.

Last edited:
Actually, as Diana's death was sudden and unexpected, to come up with a working plan quickly for a funeral, they based her funeral on the plans already in place for the Queen Mum's funeral. It was called Operation Tay Bridge if I'm remembering right. Of course there were adjustments to personalize it but the basic plans had already been established and, if I recall right, even practiced from time to time.

Thankyou...my concern was simply that all the details of Diana's funeral were an extension of her innovations.

What has her funeral got to do with her "innovations"??

well I suppose it was.. in that Q Vic's was a sort of template.. and as has been said the plan for Diana's funeral was based on the plans for the queen Mother's..

I'm always skeptical of conspiracy theories, and I didn't read anything in the linked piece that made me change my mind.

Possible new evidence in Diana’s death?
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/diana-case-solved-bombshell-interview-114500074.html

I don’t know. What you guys think?

To be honest, I saw this on my AOL news feed that I scroll through and I passed it right by. In the same scrolling, I also saw the rumor that Kate is pregnant with her fourth child among some other sensationalistic attention grabbing articles.

Its promotion for a book newly published and I sincerely feel that this is exploitation of the incidents that happened when Diana's car crashed in that tunnel in Paris 22 years ago.

I did not read the article nor will I be interested in buying the book. But that's just me. :D

It was touched upon far back in the thread, but wondering how Britons feel today in regard to Diana's undisclosed resting place. By mentioning it, I realize there's a risk of ruffling some feathers here..

On the one hand the idea was intelligent not to reveal it to the public, since there was such clamouring after her in real life, and the estate felt protective. But twenty years later, it doesn't seem befitting a royal of her stature to be hidden in perpetuity.

Conjecture it is, but surely they will make it known at some point in the near future ? It's reasonable to assume a greater number of people would travel to Althorp, if they came away with a feeling they had visited her.

Last edited:
IMHO but that smacks of monetising Diana's grave and, like her brother's seemingly endless travelling show ended, I thought it was finally put to rest.

Many children lose their mother's at an early age but William and Harry have never been able to mourn and move on like everyone else because every year the tabloids do their ritual mean-spirited ceremomial raking of the ashes. Is it any wonder they don't find it easy?

Now things are on an almost normal footing you are suggesting what is basically a grief destination tour with all its perpetual noise.

Will Diana never be able to just rest in peace?

Imagine the reaction had the brother and estate kept everyone out of Althorp from long ago with no visitors received. He seems to be in a difficult position no matter what decisions are made. It's a little hard to believe the emotional condition for those arriving now are as consumed with grief as the crowd around Kensington palace was in '97. But still, if people who grieve her death are seen crying, even today, that shouldn't be offensive to anyone or her memory.

This is all many years later, and eventually the number of people will greatly diminish. It's a tribute to Diana that people are still interested to visit her.

Last edited:
Undisclosed resting place?

Earl Spencer has made it pretty clear where she is buried and there are pics of a mausoleum etc.

LaRae

To be honest, I saw this on my AOL news feed that I scroll through and I passed it right by. In the same scrolling, I also saw the rumor that Kate is pregnant with her fourth child among some other sensationalistic attention grabbing articles.

Its promotion for a book newly published and I sincerely feel that this is exploitation of the incidents that happened when Diana's car crashed in that tunnel in Paris 22 years ago.

I did not read the article nor will I be interested in buying the book. But that's just me. :D

There were so many things happening that night that not one person or group could control without an enormous net in the back and we would have heard of that! Plus Diana was not wearing her seatbelt and we know she would have survived if she had worn it. It was an accident. Maybe there was or wasn't that white Fiat in the tunnel and maybe it was involved or not in the accident but all that doesn't really matter. And in my humble opinion: if Al Fayed had not been so hectic in his trys to secure his prize: Diana's hand in marriage for his son - he would not have made so many people in his employ going stir crazy. Then many faults wouldn't have happened and Diana might be alive today. An impaired driver, passengers wearing no seatbelts, a hunt through Paris, a crash. **** like that happens every day!

Earl Spencer has made it pretty clear where she is buried and there are pics of a mausoleum etc.

LaRae

Yes, but many people feel the princess should have been buried in the consecrated grounds of a church or a graveyard and not "somewhere" on an artificial island in an artificial lake, an island, noone is allowed to step on besides her family. Which would be okay if we had seen pics of them on the island. I hope one day the then king William will have Charles', Camilla's and Diana's ashes/body buried together, maybe officially in Frogmore's cemetary. But it is clear that at the time of Diana's death noone wanted to bury her officially at closed Frogmore cemetary or in a church open to the public, so the "island grave" seemed a good solution.
The Royals and the nobility have always found helpers to keep their secrets and even if people came to learn them, I doubt these people were the ones to sell it to the media including proof.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but many people feel the princess should have been buried in the consecrated grounds of a church or a graveyard and not "somewhere" on an artificial island in an artificial lake, an island, noone is allowed to step on besides her family. Which would be okay if we had seen pics of them on the island. I hope one day the then king William will have Charles', Camilla's and Diana's ashes/body buried together, maybe officially in Frogmore's cemetary. But it is clear that at the time of Diana's death noone wanted to bury her officially at closed Frogmore cemetary or in a church open to the public, so the "island grave" seemed a good solution.
The Royals and the nobility have always found helpers to keep their secrets and even if people came to learn them, I doubt these people were the ones to sell it to the media including proof.

Quite frankly it doesn't matter what 'many people feel' when it comes to her burial. That decision was made by her family (I would imagine her brother, sisters and perhaps some input from the boys) as to how to handle her burial.

If she's buried on the fake island or not...makes not one bit of difference. She's gone, her family knows where she is and that's the only people who need to know.

LaRae

Quite frankly it doesn't matter what 'many people feel' when it comes to her burial. That decision was made by her family (I would imagine her brother, sisters and perhaps some input from the boys) as to how to handle her burial.

If she's buried on the fake island or not...makes not one bit of difference. She's gone, her family knows where she is and that's the only people who need to know.

LaRae

When we talk about the burial of a public persona, the plans have to include thoughts about what the many mourners think and will want to do. Otherwise there is never any peace possible for the family.

I completely agree with you that it doesn't matter where she is really buried. The right people know and that's all that counts. But just imagine the pressure of the public if they had chosen Frogmore... So it really was the best idea to inform the public as they did and allow for admirers to take a look at the lake for some days each year.

Imagine the reaction had the brother and estate kept everyone out of Althorp from long ago with no visitors received. He seems to be in a difficult position no matter what decisions are made. It's a little hard to believe the emotional condition for those arriving now are as consumed with grief as the crowd around Kensington palace was in '97. But still, if people who grieve her death are seen crying, even today, that shouldn't be offensive to anyone or her memory.

This is all many years later, and eventually the number of people will greatly diminish. It's a tribute to Diana that people are still interested to visit her.

A lot of the "piles" of the landed gentry and aristocrats are open to the public for tours. It helps to maintain the upkeep of the estate and people are genuinely interested in seeing these homes. Althorp is no different. I can't say when the Earl Soencer first opened his home to the public but I do see where it being Diana's resting place would be a huge draw to the public.

Of course, with Diana's resting place being on an island within the Althorp estate, its been my belief that people could see the island and perhaps get a glimpse of the mausoleum but no one from the public is ever allowed to actually go to that island. This is preserving a peaceful repose for Diana's remains. In fact, I believe its more respectful to Diana and she's left in peace this way than perhaps someone going to Westminster Abbey and being up close and personal with the burial sites of 17 British monarchs.

I think it is the best place.. her remains are safely in consecrated ground near to her family and her sons and other loved ones can go and visit her grave but not the general public.. I dotn think she would have wanted to be buried with the RF and It is much the best thing to have done what they did...

A lot of the "piles" of the landed gentry and aristocrats are open to the public for tours. It helps to maintain the upkeep of the estate and people are genuinely interested in seeing these homes. Althorp is no different. I can't say when the Earl Soencer first opened his home to the public but I do see where it being Diana's resting place would be a huge draw to the public..
Althorp House was first opened to the public by the current earl's grandfather in 1953. Charles often acted as tour guide as a teenager when he was home from school and has written an absolutely beautiful book about the house and its history (and his sister is only briefly mentioned.) The house is open fewer hours now than in his grandfather's or father's days.

LaRae
Diana's grave on the island is unmarked. The building you are referring to is near the old stable block next to the house.

Back
Top Bottom