The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-30-2016, 05:32 PM
Serene Highness

Of course it is mostly going to be about HARry since people don't know mcuh about George McC

Old 07-30-2016, 07:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Do weddings have guests of honor? I thought that was supposed to be the bride and groom. I am quite sure Harry will let them have the day!

Old 07-31-2016, 06:26 PM
Serene Highness

I'm sure he will but the Media is going to talk about him..
Old 07-31-2016, 07:15 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
Lady Sarah does not seem in the photo from the article to be aging gracefully. Isn't she just 55? It doesn't look like she has her mother's genes ?
Also, I hope Lady Sarah likes to ride the hunt with the band on live foxes.
Diana was the youngest of the Spencer girls and she would have been 55 on July 1st this year. Not sure what the age difference between the girls is/was, but guessing Sarah is closer to 60 by now.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Sarah Spencer McCorqudale was a 'honeymoon baby' as her mother described her, born nine months after her parents' wedding in June 1954. So Sarah, born early in 1955, is 61. (Strangely, for years I thought of Diana's sister Jane as the eldest Spencer child and Sarah as the rebellious middle one, but Jane is two years younger than her sister.)
Old 08-01-2016, 10:24 PM
Serene Highness

Jane seems a sensible calm person, whereas Sarah comes across to me as a tiresome "rebellious" type, who has mercifully settled down and led a quiet life since her days of dating Charles. however she was stupid and indiscreet then.. and I am not sure that she and Di got on that well a lot of the time though Diana did turn to her to take care of the boys if anything happened to her and she has been there for thtem.

I think that there was a bit of rivalry between them, when Sarah was dating Charles, I thik she was a bit iffy about Charles chatting to her baby sister. But they seem to have been good enough friends most of the time.. and she did ask for Sarah to look after the boys in the even of her dying.. Poor Diana I suppose she never really thoguth that that would happen... I think that Di got on well with Jane as she use to visit her when She was single and J was having her first baby....
Old 08-03-2016, 03:44 AM
Super Moderator

I've moved the most recent discussion concerning Diana's intentions for her God-children over to the Earl Spencer, Family, Althorp Museum & Travelling Exhibition thread, as the conversation has developed towards discussing that topic.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:43 AM
Serene Highness

Sarah did act as a lady in waiting for Diana at times...
Old 08-07-2016, 06:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, although I don't think Sarah enjoyed the role very much. A bit too impatient and fiery, I suppose. Even though Sarah was happily married I think there was also still a tiny niggle as well that her younger sister had captured a prince and she had let him slip through her fingers!
Old 08-07-2016, 07:24 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Yes, Even though Sarah was happily married I think there was also still a tiny niggle as well that her younger sister had captured a prince and she had let him slip through her fingers!
I think she had a bit of perpetual ill- temper about that, and I honestly don't like her much, from what I know. I think she didnt really want Charles herself but was a bit miffed that Diana had gotten him, even when she knew that Diana was unhappy with him...
I gather she was pretty difficult to deal with in the Diana Mem Fund, and then she upset the godchildren. I wonder why Diana did seem to think of her first though as someone to look after the children, if she died...
I understand that she did give them some mothering... but I would have probably felt it was better to name Jane. Perhaps Jane being married to a courtier, put her off? Or J's children were older?
Old 08-07-2016, 07:56 AM
Aristocracy

Both Sarah, Jane and their families have stayed well out of the spotlight media wise; in the last few years Charles' girls, particularly Kitty have raised their profile quite a bit.

I read somewhere that Harry was attending George's wedding during his time in SA; again, low profile, so not expecting to see much about it anywhere.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:33 PM
Serene Highness

yes at least the girls (sorry they seem girls to me!) Sarah and Jane have mostly been sensible during Diana's lifetime and since and stayed out of media notice. And their children aren't known at all. Somoene wrote once (I Can't remember where I read this) that perhaps Sarah was more sensible than Diana, that both of them had problems that made them volatile, they both had eating disorders, but Sarah while she might have had a chance of marrying Charles (Slim but possible) had settled for a quiet life with a gent farmer husband and avoided the stress of life in the RF, which Diana went into.. That perhaps Diana needed a similar life to be happy and comfortable, a nice quiet husband, kids, a bit of work to do but no public appearances and low stress...
Old 08-07-2016, 06:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Ultimately Diana craved stability and for someone to love her forever, no matter what. Marrying the, 'only man in England who can never divorce me' seemed to be a good idea at the time.

LaRae
Old 08-07-2016, 08:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post

I think that there was a bit of rivalry between them, when Sarah was dating Charles, I thik she was a bit iffy about Charles chatting to her baby sister. But they seem to have been good enough friends most of the time.. and she did ask for Sarah to look after the boys in the even of her dying.. Poor Diana I suppose she never really thoguth that that would happen... I think that Di got on well with Jane as she use to visit her when She was single and J was having her first baby....

Well, I think Sarah dated Charles as a slap in the face to the Duke of Westminster, who had just dumped her.
Charles was trying to cheer her up and the press exaggerated the whole thing.

Anyway, she and Diana did clash occasionally, but Diana did keep her sisters supplied with designer clothes.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:37 PM
Serene Highness

I'm sure that Sarah considered the possibility that he might take her as a serious girlfriend, but it did not happen. She didn't really have much in common with him and she was stupid enough to talk to the press.
So I think she had a twinge of jealousy for a long time that Diana had got him and she had wrecked her chances.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

Posts concerning Charles and Diana and the countryside have been moved to the Charles and Diana thread. Lets get back to discussing Lady Sarah and her family.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:59 AM
Serene Highness

I don't know if there's a lot to say. Since her marriage she HAS not been known in the media except In relation to Di's death and the memorial fund...She seems to be a good wife and mother.... I think that she was hapy with her marriage..

Tags
diana princess of wales, diana's family, lady sarah mccorquodale, lady sarah spencer, princess diana