The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 10:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
I think this is a very good point.

However, as far as Charles remarrying in Diana's lifetime, I think that if she'd remarried, he probably would have too. I have a feeling it was the Queen Mother's presence, not Diana's, that stopped him tying the knot with Camilla. As far as his marital status is concerned, the fact that he had a civil wedding rather than a church one did get around any problems with his status; even though he didn't have an ex-spouse living, Camilla certainly does, and there's also public opinion to think of.

Mind you, if Charles had remarried and Diana hadn't either died or remarried, there'd have been some interesting issues as far as titles are concerned. I assume Camilla would have done what she did in this universe and called herself Duchess of Cornwall, so there'd have been a Diana, Princess of Wales, and a Duchess of Cornwall, but no Princess of Wales (at least, not overtly).
I agree. In my opinion, it would have been impossible for the public to accept Charles marrying Camilla unless Diana herself had remarried and been given a royal title and appropriate rank in her own right by the Queen.

The main obstacle to a remarriage for Charles was the Queen Mother's opposition. Once she passed on, the matter could be dealt with by the Queen.

Old 10-13-2005, 10:36 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by skk
"Dodi was not going to be her husband--her friends say she told them he lied to her and she knew about his cocaine use"which of her friends said that and where??? any help on this would be much appreciatied
Dodi was a summer fling in the hopes of arousing jealousy in the man she really loved, Hasnat Khan. A quite typical female ploy used by many women to snare the man they want. Don't know if I exactly agree with it, but I know many who have done it.

Old 10-15-2005, 05:07 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoogie
I think if Diana had survived the fatal car crash or if the car crash never happened at all, I think Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall would never been married..They would continue their affair but it will not lead to marriage as long as Diana is still alive..Charles and Camilla would have been devastated and shocked over Dianas death but the death of the Princess became a sort of blessing in disguise to make their union legal and more acceptable..
sad but true :(
Old 10-15-2005, 05:15 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
Dodi was a summer fling in the hopes of arousing jealousy in the man she really loved, Hasnat Khan. A quite typical female ploy used by many women to snare the man they want. Don't know if I exactly agree with it, but I know many who have done it.
yeah maybe..my question remains as to what did the friends of diana say about dodi and where?? who were they?? lady annabel goldsmith?? rosa monckton?? thanks
Old 10-15-2005, 09:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by skk
yeah maybe..my question remains as to what did the friends of diana say about dodi and where?? who were they?? lady annabel goldsmith?? rosa monckton?? thanks
Lady Annabel said later that Diana was not interested in marrying Dodi, quoting her as saying, "I need a marriage at this point like I need a mark on my face." Rosa Monckton also stated that Diana was "uneasy" about Dodi and his penchant for "buying" her and she had "no intention" of marrying him.

Personally, I highly doubt Diana looked at the relationship as anything more than a very enjoyable summer fling. She had millions of her own money, so she certainly didn't need the Al-Fayed fortune to sustain her lifestyle. The boys were still young and she knew the Queen certainly would have reservations about her marrying such a controversial figure.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:03 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I think Diana probably would have remarried by now (and good for her). But not to Dodi. I could never understand the attraction, aside from his father's $ and the lifestyle (sort of an Aristotle Onassis thing). And I never found Dodi particularly good-looking.

My guess is, that had Diana remarried, Charles and Camilla would have felt free to marry each other. It would have looked really bad if a lovelorn Diana was still on the world's stage while Charles and Camilla played The Brady Bunch with Diana's sons.

It is so sad that she never found the love she was looking for.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:53 PM
Courtier

Its difficult as it is one of those things that probably had a lot of provate implications more than publics ones.
Diana, I doubt would have married Dodi - simply because he was a summer fling no more. She would have married, as I don't think that she is one of those women who stays unmarried for long. Nothing personal but she might have been on her third.
She would probably married actors - possibly American, obviviosly someone big so we are looking at Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise here. She wouldn't have picked someone below her. Diana was thinking of doing tv, possibly modelling so she might have signed a deal with Revlon, or Dior or one of the fashion houses.
She would probably have became a UN ambassador, might have had more kids, or adopted.
I doubt she would have stayed long in one place, maybe kept a house in England, another in France, USA or South Africa. She would have completely moved around, a lot.
Whether this life would have brought her happiness and fulfilment is another question, she might still have been a lost soul.

Others: Princes William and Harry would have been the most affected. They would probably have not been as spoiled and as mother cuddled as they are. I doubt they would have played polo and hung around in posh clubs drinking, if anything else. As soon as Harry looked at a cannibis cigarette, Diana would probably have pulled him over her knee. I doubt Harry and William would have even thought of drink, drugs and the high life if Diana was still alive. She wouldn't have allowed them to have spend so long a time on gap years and holidaying in the commonwealth. She would possibly have made them come with her on her UN work, simply to keep them out of trouble.
Of course, the press blackout would never have happened and other things that the royals would have prefered not coming out about William and Harry would have filled newspapers. So public opinion of the Princes would be radically different.

Prince Charles would have married Camilla regardless. Diana however would have appeared on Larry King or somewhere else, saying how happy she was, and how much she loved Camilla to pieces and than she would have secretly given other remarks to another biographer. The lives of Princess Anne and Prince Andrew would probably be about the same. Prince Edward would have been allowed to marry Sophie Rhys-Jones in 1998. She could possibly have had more children, not have had the miscarriage. A all the media attention would have remained on Diana, William and Harry, Sophie would probably still be working at her PR company, and as no media black out exisited, so would Prince Edward. Dodi Fayad would possibly have sold her story to the News of the World.

It is easy for me, to specualate upon what might have been. However it is not so, there are hundreds of other possiblities not are not at all favourably to Diana and everyone involved, even if Diana lived there is no guareentee that her life might have better.
For example, She might have gone to America, had several ill fated affairs which all appeared in the press, might have had a well publicised breakdown, financial troubles after her broker steals all her money, goes on Oprah and Larry King and becames the worst version of herself possible. She grows old, and gets pushed out of the royal lime light by William and Harry's girlfriends, wives and daughters. Until she dies one day in obscurity, and her funeral only makes the brief news on the BBC.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think Harry would be as insecure and as influenced as he is by peers, examples include the uniform, drugs, drinking, and partying. Because Diana showed him more attention and affection than Will, Harry wouldn't feel like he has to upstage his brother by acting out in order to get attention.

Old 10-16-2005, 09:35 AM
Royal Highness

i don't think she would have married Dodi but i always wonder what she meant when she told the paparazzi "wait til you see what i do in the next couple of days". some say that she was going to announce her engagement to him.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

hmm, those words of Diana, if it is true she said this, it is very cryptic in a way, wouldn't you say?
Old 10-16-2005, 11:47 AM
Royal Highness

it is very cryptic and it just drives me nuts wondering what it was she was going to do!
Old 10-17-2005, 01:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Maybe she was going to fake her death? And the only people to know would be her family. In order for her to be left alone by the press.

Ok I just woke up now and realises the above comment was made in my dreams.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess
it is very cryptic and it just drives me nuts wondering what it was she was going to do!
Perhaps she'd decided to sign up for that follow-up Bodyguard movie that Kevin Costner was supposed to be writing for her. I wonder if she'd have won the Oscar.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Perhaps she'd decided to sign up for that follow-up Bodyguard movie that Kevin Costner was supposed to be writing for her. I wonder if she'd have won the Oscar.
I think she was just playing with people's heads. I highly doubt Diana would have decided to become an actress.....something that is beneath all bounds for an aristocrat and mother of a future king! She wasn't an idiot.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:03 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
I think she was just playing with people's heads. I highly doubt Diana would have decided to become an actress.....something that is beneath all bounds for an aristocrat and mother of a future king! She wasn't an idiot.
I also don't think that Diana would become an actress but I do think that she would have followed her most fevernt dreams whatever they may have been just as she did with her ballet routine.

I would like to also point out that the idea is not so far fetched for one to think of.

There are several examples, they may not be exact replica examples of Diana but certainly close enough for one to wonder...

Look at Empress Soraya who became an actress after her marraige failed, also the Sarah the duchess of York who appeared on a Friends episode and currently admits to looking for acting roles - she's even moving to New York.

Prince Edward had a production company and appeared on tv in some of his pieces, although he doesn't do that anymore.

I'm sure there are other examples.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:39 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Well Princess Grace did it without losing any of that dignity that she possessed till the end of her life.

That having been said, I think Diana was better suited to being a performer than being a princess. As a royal, one is not really attracting so much attention to oneself but giving recognition to other people and events that contribute to the nation. The Queen does a marvelous job of that.

I think one of the tragedies in Diana's life is that she grew too tall to have a career as a classical dancer which she loved and would have been well suited for.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:58 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
Well Princess Grace did it without losing any of that dignity that she possessed till the end of her life.

That having been said, I think Diana was better suited to being a performer than being a princess. As a royal, one is not really attracting so much attention to oneself but giving recognition to other people and events that contribute to the nation. The Queen does a marvelous job of that.

I think one of the tragedies in Diana's life is that she grew too tall to have a career as a classical dancer which she loved and would have been well suited for.
Very well said Ysbel. Clotilde Courau has also been accepted as an Italian Princess of Savoy albeit it was rather forced due to pregnancy.

I agree Diana would have been much happier as a dancer. It was a true passion. She was also a great swimmer/diver. I wonder what could have been if she had trained to become an Olympian?? (Just a thought).

Many have said the late Princess Margaret would have been a fabulous actress and had she not been royal, she would probably had a fantastic career.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well, in many ways, Diana WAS a performer because she became the most famous woman in the world after her marriage and was built up by all the attention into a media superstar.

She was smart enough to know her greatest role was being a princess and mother of a future king. If she lowered herself by dabbling in Sarah Ferguson-type activities, this would have diminshed her luster. Sarah did it mainly because she needed the money. Diana didn't.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:44 PM
Serene Highness

Paul Burrell, for one but since I posted, his relationship with the Princess doesn't seem to be what he portrayed it to be. Simone Simmons is another but she, too, seems to be making money off the death of her friend and, IMO, one book was enough. It was alluded that Rosa Monckton, Lucia Flecha de Lima and that correspondent whose name escapes me but was often Diana's mouthpiece, also said as much.

Now, I've read Dodi had kicked his habit and kept it around for his friends. He also had what Diana wanted: Time to devote to her. I still don't think they would've ended up together. Dodi had many troubles and, while Diana was drawn to helping troubled people, she told her good friend, Lady Annabel Goldsmith she needed another bad marriage like a hole in the head. She loved Dr. Khan and this seems, in retrospect, a rebound romance so I think, ultimately, she would have gathered herself together and said "no." I also think Dodi was pushing things a bit too fast for Diana's comfort level. They really scarcely knew one another and he was talking marriage...... I just don't see it happening. She would've moved on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skk
which of her friends said that and where??? any help on this would be much appreciatied.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:43 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Well, in many ways, Diana WAS a performer because she became the most famous woman in the world after her marriage and was built up by all the attention into a media superstar.

She was smart enough to know her greatest role was being a princess and mother of a future king. If she lowered herself by dabbling in Sarah Ferguson-type activities, this would have diminshed her luster. Sarah did it mainly because she needed the money. Diana didn't.
branchg, I wouldn't call Sarah Ferguson's Weight Watchers stint a serious foray in the professional performing arts. But being princess and mother was also not just a role for Diana to perform; it was her real life albeit one with a public profile.

Its generally not wise to use one's real life as a performance. Professional performers (dancers, actresses) are taught to develop a built in defense against this in the stage or screen where they keep a clear line drawn between the characters they play and their real life. This is important because the performer personaility (and Diana was one) can easily confuse the performance with the real life and it becomes devasting to their real life happiness and relationships.

The professional performing arts environment also provides a more supportive environment for the performer personality. It accepts extreme emotions and personalities more readily than ancient royal families. A performer like Diana was with her own kind with the likes of Elton John, etc. but not with the Royal Family or the members of the Royal Household.

So I believe a career in the real performing arts was better suited to Diana's temperament. It would have given her a safe 'make-believe' place to perform while keeping her real life sane and she would have been surrounded by people more conducive and supportive to her temperament. Now it has its own problems too but Diana would have been with her own kind.

Tags
diana princess of wales, princess diana