The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 11:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris97 View Post
i think she would have settled in australia.
Really? I'm curious. Where, and why, and what would she have done there? Melbourne might have suited her, but I can't really see her running the post office at Oodnadatta, for example. On reflection, maybe Cairns would have suited her, except in cyclone season. Of course she'd have had to watch out for the stingers if she went jetskiing in summer. And of course there are lots of nice big pools up that way.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Really? I'm curious. Where, and why, and what would she have done there? Melbourne might have suited her, but I can't really see her running the post office at Oodnadatta, for example. On reflection, maybe Cairns would have suited her, except in cyclone season. Of course she'd have had to watch out for the stingers if she went jetskiing in summer. And of course there are lots of nice big pools up that way.
Roslyn, you forgot about the sharks in the sea . The most probable place where Diana would have settled is the US. Australia is much too far from her sons. And she wouldn't have gone in a country where the Di Mania had started. On the contrary, she was willing to go in a place where people are used to see celebrities around, i.e. United States. Over there, they liked her but didn't make a fuss about her. There was some respect and I think she enjoyed that.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 02-18-2008, 10:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think New York would have been perfect for her, and the Princess enjoyed her visits here.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth View Post
RoslynOn the contrary, she was willing to go in a place where people are used to see celebrities around, i.e. United States. Over there, they liked her but didn't make a fuss about her.
I don't think she would have liked that, there was nothing Diana liked more than being THE celebrity.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
I don't think she would have liked that, there was nothing Diana liked more than being THE celebrity.
Yes but not being able to live normally was the problem of incarnating THE celebrity. But, I think she would have missed her country. England is so special ; I don't know how you can leave and never return to it.

Because it matters...
Old 02-20-2008, 01:23 PM
Courtier

IF Diana had lived I personally think she would have made sure that both her sons stayed out of drunken brawls and would have kept them so busy that they wouldn't have been in bars so often. They also probably would not have taken up smoking.
Diana had a lot of faults but she did not smoke, drank very little, and seemed to be an excellent and caring Mother.
I think she would have liked Chelsy, but would have wanted "more" for William than Kate---and would have discouraged the friendship of Kate, Guy Pelly, and several others
Old 07-16-2008, 09:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

The thread "If Diana had lived" was merged to this one.

TheTruth
British Forums Moderator.

Because it matters...
Old 07-16-2008, 10:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndaW View Post
IF Diana had lived I personally think she would have made sure that both her sons stayed out of drunken brawls and would have kept them so busy that they wouldn't have been in bars so often. They also probably would not have taken up smoking.
Diana had a lot of faults but she did not smoke, drank very little, and seemed to be an excellent and caring Mother.
I think she would have liked Chelsy, but would have wanted "more" for William than Kate---and would have discouraged the friendship of Kate, Guy Pelly, and several others
I agree with this.

Roslyn you forgot, salties, sting rays, coral snakes, funnel web spiders, taipans etc etc. There might have been a stray Bunyip too.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:18 PM
Heir Apparent

How could she have done this? They are grown men. I think that losing their mother at such young ages had a profound affect on them--as it would on any boys who had a mother die--but I don't know how she could have curbed their "laddish" behaviour. Perhaps she wouldn't even have been living in the same country as them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndaW View Post
IF Diana had lived I personally think she would have made sure that both her sons stayed out of drunken brawls and would have kept them so busy that they wouldn't have been in bars so often.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:25 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
How could she have done this? They are grown men. I think that losing their mother at such young ages had a profound affect on them--as it would on any boys who had a mother die--but I don't know how she could have curbed their "laddish" behaviour. Perhaps she wouldn't even have been living in the same country as them.
IMHO, I think she would of curbed it before they became young men. Her schedule was a lot more flexible then the PoW and I think she would of been more involved in their teen years then he was. I maybe wrong because I am not English, and all my observations are from far away but it seems to me that the upper class parents in Europe seem to think that their parenting stops when the children are sent away to school but I don't believe Diana would have let the boys get away with as much as Charles did or have as much free time as they did with him.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebafan81 View Post
IMHO, I think she would of curbed it before they became young men. Her schedule was a lot more flexible then the PoW and I think she would of been more involved in their teen years then he was. I maybe wrong because I am not English, and all my observations are from far away but it seems to me that the upper class parents in Europe seem to think that their parenting stops when the children are sent away to school but I don't believe Diana would have let the boys get away with as much as Charles did or have as much free time as they did with him.
No that is not what parents who send their children away to school think. Even if Diana had been around, children make mistakes, you can't really stop them, just guide them and hope they make the right decisions. Her schedule and her holidays probably meant she saw them for the same amount of time as Charles, a little less possibly as they grew. Her death may have brought them into the 'real' world, but I don't believe that she would have made any difference to the silly antics they have been involved in. What could she have done, locked them in their rooms?
Old 07-18-2008, 08:48 PM
Nobility

If Diana had lived

Dodi would be a very distant memory by now thankfully so.Their untimely deaths have sadly overblown his importance in her life.

She would have carried on with her charity work

Charles and Camilla would have married sooner rather then later.

I don't know if Diana would have remarried maybe down the line but not at that point

I think she might well have adopted one or two little girls it would be in keeping with the more with the woman she was becoming-not depending on a man for her happiness ,her desires ect.

I think while she love Dr.Kahn they were indeed at an impass.In Tina Brown's book she said Kahn's family adored her and loved her on a personal level but her background was the problem.It was the exact opposite with the royal family.

She would have been close to William and Harry but would likely be closer to Harry.

I think she would be on better terms with they her former in-laws.

I think she would have reconciled with Fergie and her mother.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:10 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Lane View Post
If Diana had lived

Dodi would be a very distant memory by now thankfully so.Their untimely deaths have sadly overblown his importance in her life.
what an interesting observation....i've never heard this one but i think you're absolutely positively right....that he'd be long gone and that his importance was overblown.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:42 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
what an interesting observation....i've never heard this one but i think you're absolutely positively right....that he'd be long gone and that his importance was overblown.
I believe very strongly that Dodi was nothing more then summer fling for Diana I don't even he was as interested in her as his father was.It's eleven years now and had Diana lived I think Dodi would be a footnote in her life a passing fancy at best.I think the only reason he is still talked about so much is of course due to their tragic deaths.It's because they died together not because he was important in her life yes Duchess that has long been my feelings about their relationship I wish it would be put into it's proper place in her life.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:00 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebafan81 View Post
I totally agree with you. Perhaps a lot of what we see today is because they lost their mother at such an early age and, for that reason, maybe their father has given them too much freedom...and perhaps he's also been preoccupied with other concerns.

I also believe Diana would have involved them in her charity work and really taught them the ropes. She started doing it on a small scale before she died, so I have no doubt this would have continued. It's too bad that Charles hasn't done that very much. But I don't think it's in his best interest to really put William 'out there.'
Old 07-19-2008, 08:05 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I believe very strongly that Dodi was nothing more then summer fling for Diana I don't even he was as interested in her as his father was.It's eleven years now and had Diana lived I think Dodi would be a footnote in her life a passing fancy at best.I think the only reason he is still talked about so much is of course due to their tragic deaths.It's because they died together not because he was important in her life yes Duchess that has long been my feelings about their relationship I wish it would be put into it's proper place in her life.
I agree, totally.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:56 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I completely agree! It's a shame he has been intertwined with her-- and then to have his father put up that GOD AWFUL statue of the two of them entwined in immortality--UGH.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 07-19-2008, 10:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

If Diana had lived and found herself a husband she could love and trust, I wonder what Paul Burrell would be doing now.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:37 PM
Serene Highness

If I had my way, washing dishes at Wagamama. Or if we were lucky, purging Princess Anne's closet of 1980's recycled wedding guest dresses into black bin liners. At least then we wouldn't have to see them anymore.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:37 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by skk View Post
which of her friends said that and where??? any help on this would be much appreciatied.
I believe it was Rosa Mockton, who was a good friend of Diana's. Diana was the the godmother or her daughter Domenica, who has Downs Syndrome. I have heard her say this in interviews and in some Diana books.

Tags
diana princess of wales, princess diana