The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-19-2010, 10:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Frankly... none of us really know what the relationship was like in private between Frances and Johnnie Spencer except for rumors that have floated around. The facts are that she did lose custody of the children to their father and the testimony of Frances' own mother did have a lot to do with it.

An unstable home I think was on of the reasons Diana had "fairy tale" ideas on marriage when she first married Charles. The happily ever after idea is great in fairy tale books but the reality is that in order to be happily ever after in today's world, the couple actually has to work at it... its give and take and compromising and working as a team. This was the stumbling block with BOTH Diana and Charles. Unable to form a strong relationship on common ground between the two of them, naturally the marriage went downhill from there. They both craved a loving relationship and to be honest, I do think they both deserved one. Perhaps this is also the reason why there was a divorce between Frances and Johnnie. What happened behind closed doors we can only speculate on

Old 12-20-2010, 03:25 AM
Heir Apparent

I agree, and her step-grandmother's, Barbara Cartland's, gifts of romantic novels didn't help matters much. If a person reads a lot of those without having any real experience with romantic relationships, they can give a person a really skewed view of what marriage is like. No one could live in that romantic state all the time and get any work done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
An unstable home I think was on of the reasons Diana had "fairy tale" ideas on marriage when she first married Charles.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:05 PM
Royal Highness

Princess Diana's last and favorite nanny made public that when she met Diana the first time Diana told her was she would not marry anyone except for love. Later, Lady Diana wrote her old nanny that she felt safe marrying Prince Charles because he would not be able to divorce her.

The divorce of Diana, Princess of Wales' parents really affected her personal relationships.

Francis Shand Kydd cared for her feelings and not her childrens. If Earl Spencer was a wife beater how come we never heard Raine Spencer complain? Francis at the end of her life did good deeds, but was an alcoholic.

Ms Shand Kydd took her second divorce hard. Princess Diana was on the phone with her constantly until they had their last falling out.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:17 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
Princess Diana's last and favorite nanny made public that when she met Diana the first time Diana told her was she would not marry anyone except for love. Later, Lady Diana wrote her old nanny that she felt safe marrying Prince Charles because he would not be able to divorce her.
So she didn't marry for love but for the believed safety that she couldn't be divored.

Quote:
The divorce of Diana, Princess of Wales' parents really affected her personal relationships.

Francis Shand Kydd cared for her feelings and not her childrens. If Earl Spencer was a wife beater how come we never heard Raine Spencer complain? Francis at the end of her life did good deeds, but was an alcoholic.
Abuse doesn't have to be physical to be abuse - verbal and psychological abuse is just as destructive but not as visible.

Quote:
Ms Shand Kydd took her second divorce hard. Princess Diana was on the phone with her constantly until they had their last falling out.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:39 PM
Aristocracy

I think more that she thought as a Royal and next in the line he would never be able to get a divorce. Also maybe that he wouldn't do things that might cause a divorce to happen. Of course we all know they were able to get a divorce.

I think they both loved each other. I also think that the problem was that she was young and they rushed it way too quickly. Maybe if they had known each other for more then 6months they may have been a better couple.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:45 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
So she didn't marry for love but for the believed safety that she couldn't be divored.
I think Diana, married for love in her own childish, way. But the safety of no divorce was important too.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Post divorce did Diana see her mother? I believe she lost custody of the children but I'm assuming she still had visitations? I know she saw them on the weekends prior to the divorce. Least I think I haven't really read up on that bit in a while. I'm just going by memory.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:17 PM
Aristocracy

Didn't she remarry soon afterwards and move out of the country or am I confusing her with Sarah's mother.

Ok I checked wiki, yes I know they aren't the most reliable. Essentially she lost custody of the kids because she cheated with a married man. Didn't Diana's father also cheat with a married woman. Apparently France's mother took her SIL side. (wow what a great mom). She moved to the island of Sell (west coast of scotland) with the person she cheated with. It does say that the kids visited often.

No wonder Diana had relationship issues. I had forgotten some of this.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:46 PM
Royal Highness

Sarah's mom also remarried and moved to Argentina
Old 12-22-2010, 08:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Ah so she musta lost sole custody but sustained visitation I think I got confused by the way Bradford had worded it all.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:53 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Ah so she musta lost sole custody but sustained visitation I think I got confused by the way Bradford had worded it all.
Yes, Mrs Francis Shand Kidd had visitation and shared responsibility of Princess Diana's education and then living arrangements and jobs. Francis seemed to try and be in Princess' life till her death. Even after Diana died her mother shredded a lot of stuff at KP.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Mr. Shand-Kydd had a ranch in Australia, and they would spend part of the year there as well as in Oban. Diana spent two weeks at the ranch after Charles proposed and before their engagement was announced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelly View Post
Didn't she remarry soon afterwards and move out of the country or am I confusing her with Sarah's mother.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:27 PM
Nobility

They were such similiar women in so many ways.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, that's true. It's a shame that both their lives ended sadly, Diana's ending shockingly and Frances' after a broken marriage and illness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christo's Girl View Post
They were such similiar women in so many ways.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:05 PM
Royal Highness

Princess Diana stated that she was like her mother, Francis. A good actress because she was able to hide her feeling in public with a smile but in reality hurting inside.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:08 AM
Serene Highness

Some pictures:

theprincessdianafan2's blog - Page 345 - Blog de sur Princess Diana , Willam & Catherine et Harry - Skyrock.com
theprincessdianafan2's blog - Page 344 - Blog de sur Princess Diana , Willam & Catherine et Harry - Skyrock.com
Old 06-12-2011, 11:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

Diana was an adorable baby; and her mother was pretty.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:46 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
... If Earl Spencer was a wife beater how come we never heard Raine Spencer complain? Francis at the end of her life did good deeds, but was an alcoholic.
raine spencer was a completely different personality than francis....it's not uncommon for a spouse to be abusive with a former spouse and not abusive with a current spouse.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:01 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelly View Post
No wonder Diana had relationship issues. I had forgotten some of this.
I think it depends on personality, Earl Spencer clearly has had relationship issues too, while both of Dianas sisters are and remain married to the same partner.
Diana was unlucky in that sense that she was a type of character who would drown into emotional issues (her own and especially other people's) instead of moving on in a pragmatic way.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:24 AM
Administrator

I think the ages of the siblings definitely played into how each dealt with their relationships.

Jane and Sarah were older and away at boarding school, so they might have privy to the good times as well as any arguments that Frances and Johnnie might have had. For them it could have been, our parents are sad but thank God that's over. They were also developed emotionally.

Charles and Diana were fairly young and it could have been devastating to them.

Look at how Charles and Diana have had issues with their relationships and Jane and Sarah (from what we know) appear to have stable relationships.

I am 11 years older than my younger sister, our parents divorced when I was 22 and my sister was 11. I remember the good and bad times my sister, all she knows is bad times of my parents marriage.

At least the Spencer children had boarding school so they could techincally get away from the tension in the house.

Tags
diana princess of wales, diana's family, frances shand kydd, princess diana