The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-10-2017, 04:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Frances did have access to the children, she didn't have full custody but that wasn't unusual at the time for a wife who had left her husband and was the guilty party in terms of adultery.

and given that there were fewer ground for divorce In those days it wasn't unknown for there to be claims made that weren't strictly true. For example, divorces esp In the 20s and 30s were often collusive (although this was forbidden ad if found out could stop a divorce), with the husband "assuming guilt" and "being discovered in bed wit a woman" so that he could be divorced for adultery.
Frances was the guilty party in terms of adultery and she may have countered with an accusation about cruelty...
and Frances did move away to somewhere that it wasn't easy for the children to vist as often, Johnny shut himself up and kept the children at a distance.. so as time passed both parnets were less avaialbe for the children.
I don't think that the children's welfare and happiness were the paramount concerns for either of them, they were mainly being selfish...
I think too that at the time of Johnnie and Frances' divorce, in the upper circles, it was unusual for the parents to do a whole lot of parenting themselves. Children were to be seen and not heard and mostly in the care of the nanny. There weren't family dinners around the table. There weren't parents helping their kids with their homework (before sending them off to boarding school) and for the main part, the children were to be enjoyed when the right situation arose and of course, the all important heir to the title must be procured.

Neither Frances or Johnnie were the "hands on" kind of parents for the most part but I do think they both loved their children dearly.

No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 05-10-2017, 05:39 AM
Heir Apparent

thats not the point. Of course they had nannies and didn't spend long periods with the children, but Johnny saw little of them and Frances when she lived in London used to get emotional during their visits but then went off to Scotland where it wasn't so easy to visit.
I'm sure they'd say that they loved them, in practice I think they loved themselves more. Johnny emerged from seclusion to marry a woman that his kids disliked and caused more turmoil in the family... Frances IMO could have maintained her marriage for a bit longer, I think J would have overlooked a discreet affair, but she preferred to take the chance that she would lose custody, in order to marry her second husband

Old 05-11-2017, 03:40 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree Denville, nannies are not the issue. I've read where it was claimed that Johnnie was kind of a lazy father, not standoffish he just didn't take an interest in much to do about his kids, at least not the younger ones. I don't doubt he loved them but he didn't seem to want to spend the time to guide them.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 05-12-2017, 02:06 AM
Heir Apparent

well lazy I'd expect. I wouldn't expect him to get involved in childcare, or even not to send them to boarding school. But it seems as if he became very reclusive after Frances' departure, and probably rebuffed the children's attenpts to look for a bit of comfort and consolation from him.
Its said that Diana used to follow him round and try to do little things for him like make hm cups of tea, clearly the poor child was lonely and frightened and wanting to "look after" her dad thinking that he too was lonely. Perhaps he just wasn't bright enough to realise that. He did spoil them with material things but he seems to have let nannies come and go, let the kids play them up and then move on to another one. not make any effort to make up to the 2 younger ones for their mothers disappearance from their daily lives. And Frances, its said would get very emotional when the children visited her and upset them, and Diana would cry when they were going home saying that her mother was "all alone without them". When it would be pointed out to her that her mother had her husband to keep her company, I don't think anyone realised that SHE was the one who was alos lonely without her mother.
but gradauly it seems like Frances moved to Scotland and was less accessbile. Diana went ot school and adjusted up to a point but I think she could never quite forgive or forget her Mohter leaving and then upsetting her... and when she was going through her problems in later life, and Frances was an alcoholic, she was on a hair trigger, ready to flare up at her mother.. and had that big row...
Old 06-30-2018, 09:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Do you believe that Frances was somewhat shocked when Diana told her mother she was engaged? By shocked I refer to a happily surprised definition.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:18 PM
Heir Apparent

It depends on how much confiding (presumably by phone most of the time) that Diana did regarding that short courtship. I would imagine that Frances was kept in the loop regarding the progress and so wasn't too shocked.

According to Tina Brown's bio of Diana she had concerns. It seems to have reminded Frances a bit too much of her own relationship with Johnny, at that time Viscount Althorp, that progressed through to marriage. A very young bride, not that much in common, a large age gap etc. The great difference of course was that they were both in love when they married, and Frances wasn't marrying into a job and completely different way of life.
Old 07-01-2018, 02:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Why wold she be shocked?? the whoel world knew that Diana and Charles were courting. Even if Diana wasn't in touch with her mother, it was all over the news. And Di was in touch, and had visited her during the courtship period, in Australia, so I hardly think it could be any kind of surprise to her....
Old 07-30-2018, 05:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm not sure if this has ever been raised here, but in English Society at the time Diana Spencer was widely considered to have been fathered by James Goldsmith [later Sir James], who is known to have had a long standing relationship with Frances Shand-Kydd [then Countess Spencer].
Later it was said that there affair began after the birth of Diana [perhaps to 'save face' for Earl Spencer].

Nevertheless the resemblance between the late Princess, and the Goldsmith Siblings -Jemima - [Khan] and Zac Goldsmith is STRIKING..

My Mother [who was in that circle] mentioned this the other day, saying it was widely held to be true in London in the early 60s...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jem.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	301384  
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2018, 06:42 PM
Majesty

Whether it's true or not, the Earl is known to have adored his youngest daughter and was immensely proud of her.

Her good-bye note to "Darling Daddy" that she wrote after his death brings me to tears even today when I read it.

Many believe that she was his favorite.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 07-30-2018, 06:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Many, MANY Parents find it within themselves to love children not biologically 'theirs'.
It has long been the case that Aristocrats accept any child born to their wives 'as their own', and [generally] that has only been difficult if that child [a boy] is the heir..
Old 07-30-2018, 07:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
I'm not sure if this has ever been raised here, but in English Society at the time Diana Spencer was widely considered to have been fathered by James Goldsmith [later Sir James], who is known to have had a long standing relationship with Frances Shand-Kydd [then Countess Spencer].
Later it was said that there affair began after the birth of Diana [perhaps to 'save face' for Earl Spencer].

Nevertheless the resemblance between the late Princess, and the Goldsmith Siblings -Jemima - [Khan] and Zac Goldsmith is STRIKING..

My Mother [who was in that circle] mentioned this the other day, saying it was widely held to be true in London in the early 60s...
I did not know that story. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Whether it's true or not, the Earl is known to have adored his youngest daughter and was immensely proud of her.

Her good-bye note to "Darling Daddy" that she wrote after his death brings me to tears even today when I read it.

Truth. And Count Spencer was very pleased with Diana's marriage to the Prince of Wales.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:22 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Many, MANY Parents find it within themselves to love children not biologically 'theirs'.
It has long been the case that Aristocrats accept any child born to their wives 'as their own', and [generally] that has only been difficult if that child [a boy] is the heir..
I don't doubt that you are correct wyevale, but I am curious about why the paternity of the long dead Princess of Wales is being speculated about now, and in this thread.

The principals are all gone...Sir James, Frances Shand-Kydd, Lord Johnnie Spencer and of course the Princess herself are not here to refute or confirm this claim, not that they would do either even if they could.

Just like the never ending rumour that the Duke of York was sired by Lord Porchester, and Prince Harry by that red haired guy whose name I can't be bothered to remember, this kind of speculation is unsavory, pointless and really not anyones' business.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 07-30-2018, 08:29 PM
Heir Apparent

I find that rumour hard to believe, though I have heard it before. Yes, Diana and Jemima had similar looks. However, Diana also had Spencer characteristics and resembled her siblings.

At the time Frances and Johnny were desperate to produce a male heir. What if Diana had been a boy, and therefore the heir? Aristocratic males were tolerant, but not that tolerant. It was usually after the heir and spare arrived that the supposed custom is that they looked the other way. And that usually happened in the days of very large families.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:31 PM
Majesty

Excellent point Curryong...Frances would have been a very foolish woman to have played with THAT kind of fire!

Old 07-31-2018, 04:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
being speculated about now, and in this thread.
Merely because Jemima Khan's ex hubby has just been elected PM in Pakistan, and she came up in conversation -
"You know many believe Diana was her half-Sister, and I think it was true." ?
I posted it here because this is the place to discuss the character of Frances Shand-Kydd.
As for the suitability of the comment- if it is deemed inappropriate doubtless the mods will remove it, but 'one cannot libel the Dead'...
Old 07-31-2018, 05:00 AM
Serene Highness

I am not sure what to believe. But i have always believed that Diana does not look anything like her siblings.
However, I can definately see a resemblance with Zac & Jemima. A lot more so than her Spencer siblings.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
To me, it doesn't matter one iota anymore who were Diana's biological parents. Johnnie or James? That secret has gone to the grave with all of the people that were primarily involved in it.

We're living in a world now that has the terms "baby mama" and "baby daddy" that has become commonplace. Even within my grandchildren's constructed families.

It definitely didn't seem to have any adverse effect on Diana's upbringing nor the person that she turned out to be. She adored Johnnie as her father and it seemed that he also adored her as his daughter. That's what matters in the long run.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 07-31-2018, 06:23 AM
Majesty

Quote:

For 20 years Zac's (and Diana's - if true) cousin Clio Goldsmith was married to Mark Shand, the late brother of HRH The Duchess of Cornwall...
Old 07-31-2018, 07:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
I am not sure what to believe. But i have always believed that Diana does not look anything like her siblings.
However, I can definately see a resemblance with Zac & Jemima. A lot more so than her Spencer siblings.

If you look through Diana's lineage from the Spencer side and through that of Lady Annabel Vane-Tempest-Stewart, you see so many relations, read about so many affairs, illegitimate children etc. I guess on the levels of Earls, Marquesses and Dukes, the British nobility share a lot of DNA.

Plus the Roche of Fermoy were an family from the Irish nobility, just like the Vanes of Londonderry, so probably the same thing, but in a much smaller pool, happened there during the 1600s to the 1900s. So it's not necessary the question of who is Diana's father but the question how many DNA do Lady Annabel's children share with the former Lady Diana Spencer.

For in a pool of cross-bred nobles, it is IMHO a lot of chance whose children resemble whom.

Tags
diana princess of wales, diana's family, frances shand kydd, princess diana