The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-17-2016, 07:14 PM
Serene Highness

I think that he and Di had had their rows over his marriage ot Raine when Diana slapped him.. But while she was wrong, I think that by and large Diana WAS rather let down by her family in many ways prior to her marriage.. I think that Johnny was focussed in her childhood on being miserable that his wife had left him.. THEN he married Raine which upset all the children.. Frances cared more about getting her freedom and remarrying than her kids, IMO, or in at least seeing that they had training for their future lives. Lady F cared more about her positon with the RF.
But I think that all the same, Johnny was fond of Di and very proud of her beauty and that she had won an offer of marriage from the Prince. So I'm sure it didn't enter his head that the marriage might not work out, or anything but to be pleased that she had such a grand marriage on offer.
I think he didn't realise really what a big job Di was undertaking and didn't really worry as to whether she could do it.. and I doubt if had Lady Fermoy really spoken to him about stopping the marriage, he would have said antying like what he is supposed to have said. I'm sure he would have said _ "Diana will be fine.. no need to worry about her."
Still I do wonder if Lady F put about a story that she had been worried abut Diana, and felt that she was too volatile or a bit too "nervy" to be in a public job like Princess of W....

Old 08-17-2016, 07:52 PM
Serene Highness

All of Diana's assorted family probably assumed that the much older Charles, understanding how difficult taking on 'the firm' might be, would have treated his young bride with tender consideration. He didn't adjust his lifestyle to hers- it was all one-sided. But her family could have cherished her a bit more, also.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-17-2016, 08:44 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think that Ruth did express doubts openly to anyone. I doubt it very much. If she did have anxieties she would have kept them to herself, IMHO.

I read Dimbleby's book on Charles last night, or at least the section leading to Charles's engagement, and Dimbleby just has a little note there that before Ruth's death she spoke to him about the marriage.

Dimbleby is very discreet and we don't know if it was a wide-ranging conversation or not, just that she told him that she had doubts at the time that Diana would make a happy Royal wife (nothing about her mental state) but because she didn't know Charles very well at the time she had said nothing to him. Lady F justified this by saying that she doubted that Charles would have been swayed anyway.

I have no doubt that she didn't speak to Earl Spencer in the way that it's been reported. How often did she see her granddaughter in those years between Diana leaving school and her becoming engaged, anyway? A lot, sometimes, hardly ever? Those years when she was bustling about, cleaning flats, looking after children, chilling with her girlfriends in her flat, going out with her small circle of friends to parties, favourite restaurants etc, were some of the happiest and most content of Diana's life.

What I mean is, would Diana have exhibited such troubled behaviour in her late teens as to have caused her grandmother to panic when it appeared that she may marry the POW, and cause her to express doubts to others?

Yes, Diana had had a troubled childhood (though I doubt that Lady F knew all the repercussions) yes, she was not scholastically gifted, yes, she never stuck at anything much, leaving things like helping the young children at ballet class after only a few weeks, etc. Yes, there was the wild Roche blood and the rebellious Spencer blood to take into account. Enough of anything though, to cause Ruth to think this marriage must not occur, that warnings must be given?

I don't think so. If she did speak to Earl S. it would have been done in private, surely? Even if Raine had been present would she have blabbed to anyone? Who was taking down the gist of this conversation, servants with ears flapping at keyholes? To me it sounds like one of those tabloid reports where journos at the Daily Fail know exactly what one Royal says to another!

If Lady F by her own admission said nothing to Charles, and it's unlikely that she said anything to her son in law, who else would she have spoken to? It wasn't for nothing that Ruth had been a courtier for years in a system where discretion is priceless and keeping your mouth shut is valued above everything. Jmo, but that's why I think that story of her warning before the engagement against Charles marrying Diana is nothing but pure fantasy.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:21 AM
Serene Highness

I think that Ruth saw Diana a certain amount, but problaby not every weekend. and I guess she would have heard something through the family grapevine about the Diana raging at her father over his remarriage... but I agree, I doubt if Diana was really exhibiting wild behaviour, at that time.. There was brattish behaviour with Nannies, but that was attributable to her being lost and lonely after her mother's deserton.
she didn't stick to things, but that's not that uncommon in a young teenaged girl.
Perhaps Ruth, later in life, DID feel that Diana had had a troubled childhood, Indeed and that perhaps that was "in the famlly" because SHE had reared Frances, and promoted the marriage for Frances and Lord Spencer..and it had turned out so badly. Frances had been a "bolter" who wasn't IMO very concerned to train her daughters or make sure they at least passed a few exams at school. So maybe she felt guilty at the whole chain of events that had given Di the troubled childhood.
but seems to me that she was more concerned in her old age, that Charles had had a bad marriage than that her onw grandchild had been very unhappy.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Do you believe Diana found it hard to believe people loved her for herself and therefore came to distrust their motives?
Old 10-01-2016, 10:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Sadly Cyril I believe that Diana's insecurities took root during her parents' divorce trial and the custody arrangement. Both she and her brother Charles appear to have been greatly affected by this and had difficulty in sustaining relationships/friendships with family, friends and romantic partners. However marrying Charles who was not "in love" with her only made the situation worse IMVHO.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:27 AM
Heir Apparent

I agree, TLLK. From what I've read also these deep seated feelings appeared to get worse in the last year or so of her life. There was some bizarre behaviour, some mistrust of old friends which led to Diana cutting them from her life, and estrangement from some family members, such as her mother.

The divorce and afterwards proved a huge sea change for Diana. She was away from the protective wall that being a senior member of the BRF gives, under intense media pressure, with some journalists being critical for the first time ever, and probably felt quite lost. I think a lot of the feelings of abandonment she felt as a child were coming to the fore again in those last months, unfortunately.
Old 10-05-2016, 03:15 AM
Royal Highness

I think having a mother leave you to go off with her lover would cause so much pain and abandoned issues.
And before someone says fathers do it without bad outcomes. I firmly believe a mum leaving leaving her children causes a lot more damage.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 10-05-2016, 11:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

And Diana's former sister-in-law Sarah went through a similar circumstance as a child with her mother leaving the family for a new lover.

The Spencer divorce was especially ugly for that decade considering that Earl Spencer was granted custody of the children over their mother.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:01 PM
Majesty

IMO the mother-child connection is the most fundamental connection in a young child's life, even now when dads are more hands-on. Even though Diana and her younger brother saw their mother fairly often at first, they were so very young. Her grandmother Spencer seems to have been a loving woman, but the children didn't see her very often. Prince Charles seems to have been closest to his maternal grandmother in the formative years, because his mother was away so much. However, a grandmother, even a loving one, isn't a mother. I'm pleased that the current generation of royal tots seem to spend a lot of time with their mother.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:43 PM
Majesty

Diana's mother did not in fact leave her children. She left Johnnie Spencer, whom she alleged had been mentally and physically abusive to her. The fact that she had also fallen in love with someone else didn't help the situation.

She had purchased a home in London and intended to enroll her two youngest children Charles and Diana in school(Sarah and Jane were in boarding school) but Johnnie Spencer fought her tooth and nail for custody and with the assistance of Frances's mother Lady Fermoy and the rest of the Establishment behind him he won.

The idea that she cruelly abandoned her young children is just wrong.

Sarah's mother Susan Ferguson did in fact walk out on her kids, quite literally. Sarah's recounting of it in her memoirs was heartbreaking.

Susan Barrantes sounded like a cold, selfish occasionally cruel mom.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:31 AM
Majesty

I agree on all points. Frances Shand-Kydd did try to keep her children. I suppose that, in those days, there was nothing like shared custody.

I have much more sympathy for her situation than I have for Sarah's mother. For most of us, it's hard to imagine the kind of selfishness that would move a mother willingly move thousands of miles away from young daughters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post

The idea that she cruelly abandoned her young children is just wrong.

Sarah's mother Susan Ferguson did in fact walk out on her kids, quite literally. Sarah's recounting of it in her memoirs was heartbreaking.

Susan Barrantes sounded like a cold, selfish occasionally cruel mom.

Tags
diana princess of wales, diana's family, frances shand kydd, princess diana