Charles Spencer, 9th Earl Spencer and Family 1: Ending Aug. 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It takes far more that one royal patron to bring attention to an organization. It just happened that Lady Spencer's involvement was brought to our attention by the media. It very well could have been overlooked and we'd be none the wiser. I seriously doubt that Kitty made it a point to contact the media and relay her plans to sleep in the rough for Centrepointe because she's trading in on an aunt's name or her status or wanting to make a name for herself.

I totally respect your opinion but I heartily disagree with it.

Not sure how I feel about the dress but Lady Kitty is simply a stunningly beautiful young woman.

All of Earl Spencer's offspring hit genetic bingo, I think:cool:

The brother of Diana, Princess of Wales is at the centre of accusations over an attempt to profit from the sale of tickets for a charity concert at the Royal Albert Hall.

Two tickets for seats for a Teenage Cancer Trust concert by Paul Weller in a box owned by Earl Spencer were put on sale for £835.

As the owner of a 12-seat box at the Royal Albert Hall, Earl Spencer would have received the tickets for free.

Had the tickets been sold they would have earned the seller £600, with the remainder taken in fees by the website on which they were advertised.

However, the tickets were taken off the Viagogo site after the Royal Albert Hall wa informed that they were being sold.
Read more: Row over sale of Earl Spencer's Royal Albert Hall charity concert tickets

I do feel the press treats Earl Spencer really bad. Every time they talk about him, they go back to the story Earl Spencer rejected Diana a summer house near Althorp. They treat that story like a death-sentence to him.

According to what I know, Diana and her brother were quite close in her last year. In march 1997, when she heard about her brother's marriage crisis, she immediately flew to South Africa, trying to give some help. Her brother was with her (attending the same event ) on her last birthday. It seems they kept writing to each other until the end. The last letter her brother received from her was in Aug 1997, in which she talked to him her landmine campaign.

The constant attack on Earl Spencer from the press based on one single event, made me very suspicious of their motive? Or maybe the press just simply love creating rifts.

I do feel the press treats Earl Spencer really bad. Every time they talk about him, they go back to the story Earl Spencer rejected Diana a summer house near Althorp. They treat that story like a death-sentence to him.

According to what I know, Diana and her brother were quite close in her last year. In march 1997, when she heard about her brother's marriage crisis, she immediately flew to South Africa, trying to give some help. Her brother was with her (attending the same event ) on her last birthday. It seems they kept writing to each other until the end. The last letter her brother received from her was in Aug 1997, in which she talked to him her landmine campaign.

The constant attack on Earl Spencer from the press based on one single event, made me very suspicious of their motive? Or maybe the press just simply love creating rifts.

The media pretty much dance on Earl Spencer's tonsils every chance they get. If they're not having fun writing about his marriages, they're beating the same dead horse about him using Diana's memory for his own gain. They just won't stop.

In the eulogy during his sisters' funeral, the Earl made an attack on the media. The you can be sure it is pay-back time.

I find it hard to sympathize with Earl Spencer.

He did have that tour of Diana's things, so he did profit.
And that eulogy was very hypocritical. People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

As for the quarrel with Diana, I think most readers tend to dismiss that. After all, Diana quarreled with just about everyone and then often reconciled later.

To be fair, many Royal Houses which are lucky to have a good archive, organize exhibitions. At the moment there is a fabulous exhibition in the Netherlands about Queen Anna Paulovna née Grand-Princess of Russia, complete with clothes, jewels, artefacts, parts of her extensive dowry, even a Russian Orthodox mobile chapel the Queen used on her travels is exhibited.

Recently the dresses of the British royal family were exhibited. The monegasques have also organized exhibitions on Princess Gracia. There is just a lot of interest and the Earl maybe could make good use of the revenues to finance the arch-costly upkeep of Althorp, not only his but of course also Diana's ancestral house. So I do not have that negative vibe with exhibiting Diana's dresses and other artefacts.

In the eulogy during his sisters' funeral, the Earl made an attack on the media. The you can be sure it is pay-back time.

I think it's time for the media to move on. A grieving brother and a very emotional time isn't something one can mess with.

I do feel the press treats Earl Spencer really bad. Every time they talk about him, they go back to the story Earl Spencer rejected Diana a summer house near Althorp. They treat that story like a death-sentence to him . . .
The media pretty much dance on Earl Spencer's tonsils every chance they get. If they're not having fun writing about his marriages, they're beating the same dead horse about him using Diana's memory for his own gain. They just won't stop.
I think it's time for the media to move on. A grieving brother and a very emotional time isn't something one can mess with.
As another poster mentioned, "people in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones" and it is because of this that the media don't let up.

Earl Spencer famously took a very public swipe at both BRF's treatment of his "beloved" sister and at the media, referring to Diana as "the most hunted person of the modern age". Little surprise that with his continued high profile in anything "Diana", Earl Spencer is pounced on for his hypocrisy, when he, her "blood" relation, famously refused her refuge at the family estate citing the attendant inconvenient presence of police and press.

A close look at his own family lifestyle produces some very disturbing events. The BRF never publically acknowledged his using his sister's funeral as a stage and the media have never forgotten.

:previous: I agree with your assessment, MARG. He did use his eulogy at Diana's funeral as a "bully pulpit". It was as though he was in the "anger" stage of grief and vented his feelings in a way that weren't helpful. In a way, he reiterated the idea that the tabloids were pushing during the week, that the Royal Family were cold and not taking care of the children--which certainly wasn't true. I think that the positive public response to his eulogy was because the press had already whipped the people up into anti-monarchist feeling. What Earl Spencer declared fit in with that narrative. My own view of the speech has certainly change in the last 20 years.

Time for folks to move on. The media and others now use Lord Spencer has a boxing bag. Whatever he do and say is a cause for them to attack.

:previous: We're on topic. Memories are discussed quite often in these forms. The Angry Earl's speech is part of history now. :flowers:

:previous: We're on topic. Memories are discussed quite often in these forms. The Angry Earl's speech is part of history now. :flowers:

Right, but one can't keep trying to get back at the guy after nearly twenty years. Anyone still against the man over the emotions he expressed at the time, really have too much time on their hands.

None of us are the same people we were 20 years ago and a major factor here in remembering Charles Spencer's speech is to also keep in mind that people can and do totally out of character things when they've been hit by sudden grief.

We don't really know Charles Spencer, the man, other than what we've picked up through the media and the various things he's done over the years that have been publicized. What matters the most is that he's doing something to remember his sister by and that should be the focus rather than what his motives are.

None of us are the same people we were 20 years ago and a major factor here in remembering Charles Spencer's speech is to also keep in mind that people can and do totally out of character things when they've been hit by sudden grief.

We don't really know Charles Spencer, the man, other than what we've picked up through the media and the various things he's done over the years that have been publicized. What matters the most is that he's doing something to remember his sister by and that should be the focus rather than what his motives are.
I think that CS is a hot tempered man who took swipes at the press and RF when Diana died, he was upset and angry and miserable.. he probably felt guilty for making difficulties about letting Di have a house, about ups and downs in tehr relationship. And he felt that her in laws had not cared for her enough and that the Press had hounded her.. so he hit out.

I agree. I do believe from reading a couple books that he has authored is that he is highly intelligent, scholarly and knows the history of Britain like the back of his hand. He has raised beautiful children who have so far managed to avoid the traps of children of wealth and privilege so far...drugs, scandalous headlines.

That counts for an awful lot, imo.

His speech in the Abby made me cringe, I felt it was terrible and out of place. But hey, if a sister I loved had died under similar circumstances the Earl's reaction probably would have paled in comparison to what I would have done.

The fact that he and Diana feuded and had had a falling out is beside the point. That's what siblings-especially in a fractious dysfunctional family like the Spencers-do. It does not mean that he did not love her deeply and that he had no right to be angry and to lash out, though the way he did it was unfortunate and ill-advised.

Lord Spencer's own messy personal life made him vulnerable- red meat for the press who went after him with a vengeance as payback.

But it doesn't mean that what he said about them was untrue at the time.

Last edited:

Lady Kitty attended the Schiaparelli Haute Couture Spring Summer 2017 show as part of Paris Fashion Week on January 23:

** gettyimages gallery **

Last edited:
How kind of the daily mail to inform us of how many women he slept with. It's very crucial to a story about attending an event :bang:

The Fail has it in for Earl Spencer. They always have, imo.:cool:

well he attacked the press for their chasing Diana, and attacked the RF for being unkind to her.. and then was found to be sleeping with several other women while with his wife. bound to be bad blood. however newspapers don't "like or dislike" people.. usualy. what they want is stories and money . Charles S's sex life will sell more than his running Althrop.

Earl Spencer, Family, Althorp Museum & Travelling Exhibition

How kind of the daily mail to inform us of how many women he slept with. It's very crucial to a story about attending an event :bang:

Wow that article was really nasty and uncalled for.

As the Duke of Cambridge was saying in his recent interview, the media wants the old drama of the past back. The DM and other outlets like throwing the past back in the faces of the select few. Fair and good articles on Earl Spencer just won't happen.

Lady Kitty was in Germany yesterday, June 23, to attend the Raffaello Summer Day 2017 in Berlin to celebrate the 27th anniversary of Raffaello:

** gettyimages gallery **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom