Charles Spencer, 9th Earl Spencer and Family 1: Ending Aug. 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She really doesn't look like Diana at all.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

She is blonde which is somewhat strange since Earl Spencer is a redhead and Victoria is brunette. I think the 2 other older Spencer girls are also blonde too. Recessive genes I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Lady Kitty is striking, as are all of Earl Spencer's offspring.:whistling:

Earl Spencer was so unhappy at his “cold and unpleasant” boarding school as a child that he wished he could go to state school instead, he has revealed.
The younger brother of Diana, Princess of Wales, said he was sleepless for six months before starting at Maidwell Hall preparatory school in Northampton, where he was sent in the early 1970s at the age of eight.
He described the 104-year-old school as “quite tough, with a slightly terrifying headmaster and military-style drill in the morning.”

I wished I'd been sent to state school, says Earl Spencer - Telegraph

I found this interesting, but I've heard of a few other stories about upper class or aristocratic children not liking boarding school - it's known that Prince Charles hated Gordonstoun (I've read that he used to cry himself to sleep every night), however I've also heard that Prince Edward enjoyed his time there.

Oh well, if Charles hadn't hated it so much, William and Harry might have had to go there instead of Eton, which they seemed to like.

Earl Spencer also went to Eton too.

I agree that Lady Kitty does not resemble Diana. She doesn't have to. She is lovely of her own gene mix. I hope she has outgrown her tween/teen personality. She was a pistol!

Earl Spencer should join the Dutchess of York for shooting off of the mouth contest. He has no problems about playing the uncle when it suits him.

Last edited:
It sounds as if Earl Spencer was flogging his book in the US, was asked about the future of the British monarchy and just answered with a throwaway line.

Incidentally, William's facial shape is growing very similar to his uncle Charles!

William reminds me of his uncle all the time.

Earl Spencer should join the Dutchess of York for shooting off of the mouth contest. He has no problems about playing the uncle when it suits him.

I agree, Charlie Spencer should learn how to keep quiet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think he said anything wrong. There might not be a royal family in 100 years or even in 50 years

Thank you for the video! I think Earl Spencer spoke very nicely in it. The picture of him with his 7 children was really lovely.

I wonder if William and Harry are in regular contact with any of their Spencer relatives?

That paparazzo was particularly cruel. I wonder which one it was, and did he remember his sadistic remark when Diana died?:sad:

Paps in those days were always calling out insults and hurtful things to the famous just to get a reaction that they could photograph.

Earl Spencer has a lot of gall actually, talking about his eulogy to Oprah. He not only took a swipe at Prince Charles, his former brother in law, and by extension the royal family in that speech. He also drivelled on about how he and his sisters pledged to help their nephews. In his words, 'to continue steering the boys so that their souls are not simply immersed by duty and tradition but can sing openly as you planned.'

Probably Jane and Sarah did see something of the boys in their school holidays on occasion in the years afterwards. What about their brother? Did Earl Spencer continue to 'steer' his nephews long distance from South Africa, making sure they could 'sing openly' in between his divorcing and producing a lot of children and re-marriages? Not much time for mentoring others one would have thought, with such a private life, half a world away!

And maybe not the best role model!
I have to say, I have never liked Earl Spencer. I certainly don't wish him harm- just don't like him. He's just so- I don't even know the word. But he gives me the creeps. I didn't like his eulogy. I didn't like how he treated his sister in life and in death. Will give Oprah a miss.
I liked the former Earl- Diana's father- a whole lot more.

Maybe the word is 'hypocrite'. ;)

And maybe not the best role model!
I have to say, I have never liked Earl Spencer. I certainly don't wish him harm- just don't like him. He's just so- I don't even know the word. But he gives me the creeps. I didn't like his eulogy. I didn't like how he treated his sister in life and in death. Will give Oprah a miss.
I liked the former Earl- Diana's father- a whole lot more.

I may be in the minority here, I actually like Lord Spencer! I like hearing from him, and like the fact that he bring the cameras into Althorp from time to time.

I thought his eulogy was very appropriate and reflected the feelings of his family and world at the time. Earl Spencer was one of many who had a broad range of feelings in the aftermath of Diana's passing.

Althorp, is breathtakingly beautiful.

I have to say that though I think he is a rogue and did not treat his sister well, I think he has a certain charm and I do think he speaks beautifully.

Aside from the rather messy details of his personal life the 9th Earl is a wonderful and skilled writer. I have read several of his books. He has an encyclopedic knowledge of not only his own Spencer-Churchill family, but of English history in general. I've also watched him conduct tours of Althorp. No detail of the impressive history behind the family seat ever escapes him. He is charming and scholarly at once.

And his children are straight out of central casting...gorgeous.;)

ETA: I hated the funeral eulogy, I thought it was awful. I am not sure what I found more cringe inducing...the shrill, accusatory "eulogy" or Elton John's
Candle In the Wind song....

Last edited:
Aside from the rather messy details of his personal life the 9th Earl is a wonderful and skilled writer. I have read several of his books. He has an encyclopedic knowledge of not only his own Spencer-Churchill family, but of English history in general. I've also watched him conduct tours of Althorp. No detail of the impressive history behind the family seat ever escapes him. He is charming and scholarly at once.

And his children are straight out of central casting...gorgeous.;)

ETA: I hated the funeral eulogy, I thought it was awful. I am not sure what I found more cringe inducing...the shrill, accusatory "eulogy" or Elton John's
Candle In the Wind song....

Lol, you didn't like 'Candle In the Wind'? Everytime I heard it, I got a lump on my throat. I think Lord Spencer's speech and Elton's song just summed up Diana's tragic death and the sadness that followed.

Maybe the word is 'hypocrite'. ;)

I think hypocrite was very descriptive for him--at least as he was in 1997--I hope he has evolved since then. A eulogy should celebrate the deceased life and comfort those left behind. His eulogy did neither. It's inappropriate to attack another person at a funeral, especially if there are children involved.

I think hypocrite was very descriptive for him--at least as he was in 1997--I hope he has evolved since then. A eulogy should celebrate the deceased life and comfort those left behind. His eulogy did neither. It's inappropriate to attack another person at a funeral, especially if there are children involved.

I really don't think Lord Spencer attacked the royals in his speech.

Lol, you didn't like 'Candle In the Wind'? Everytime I heard it, I got a lump on my throat. I think Lord Spencer's speech and Elton's song just summed up Diana's tragic death and the sadness that followed.

I certainly understood the Earl's grief and anger and raw emotion. But I felt-still feel-that the tone of the eulogy was bombastic and accusatory, not suited to the solemnity of the occasion. The worst thing about it was the possibility that it might have embarrassed his sister's grieving children and put them on the spot.

But nothing, nothing beat the awfulness of that silly dirge "Candle In The Wind". Come on! A song written for and about a loopy drug addled sex symbol movie starlet, adapted for the solemn Requiem for a Princess of Wales?? At Westminster Abbey?? I. Hated. It.:bang:

And I know I'm in the minority but I usually am anyway.

I have the entire Funeral Service on DVD. It was a haunting, beautiful liturgy especially the Entrance and Recessional. But the eulogy and Elton John were the definite low points for me.

Last edited:
I certainly understood the Earl's grief and anger and raw emotion. But I felt-still feel-that the tone of the eulogy was bombastic and accusatory, not suited to the solemnity of the occasion. The worst thing about it was the possibility that it might have embarrassed his sister's grieving children and put them on the spot.

But nothing, nothing beat the awfulness of that silly dirge "Candle In The Wind"! Come on. A song written for and about a loopy drug addled sex symbol movie star, adapted for the solemn Requiem for a Princess of Wales?? At Westminster Abbey?? I. Hated. It.:bang:

And I know I'm in the minority but I usually am anyway.

I have the entire Funeral Service on DVD. It was a haunting, beautiful liturgy especially the Entrance and Recessional. But the eulogy and Elton John were the definite low points for me.

I must be in the minority too because I also didn't like the Candle in the Wind song. To be fair, it must have been difficult for Elton John. He had little time to write it and he was grief stricken himself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom