The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-25-2007, 11:35 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG
As the rules dictate that inflamatory words like 'pond scum' should be ommitted, I can only hope that his present wife sucks him dry to the bone in the divorce.
As much as I think he deserves it...I don't hope this. Because, then, he might sell Althorp, and Mohammed Al Fayed would likely buy it, and we'd really never hear the end of it.

Old 03-25-2007, 07:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassie
As much as I think he deserves it...I don't hope this. Because, then, he might sell Althorp, and Mohammed Al Fayed would likely buy it, and we'd really never hear the end of it.
Oh, I don't know. At least it would get him off the streets (or the front page of the tabloiids which is much the same thing)?

What if Mo then gave a party and nobody came? Except , of course, all his fellow conspriracy theorists and his paid employees.

As for Charles? Maybe he would disappear in the Wilds of South Africa!

Two birds with one stone? Nah, we could never get that lucky.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:40 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Diana's brother is not my favorite person either. I can't forget that wonderful newscaster right after Diana's death who commented on the Earl's wild ramblings.

He said the Spencers could teach the royals a thing or two about being a dysfunctional family. That comment was so appropriate and so right.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 04-21-2007, 10:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

Angry

Earl recalls Diana coffin eulogy

Earl Spencer has revealed how he repeatedly rehearsed the eulogy to his sister, Princess Diana, and even read it to her coffin in St James's Palace.

BBC NEWS | UK | Earl recalls Diana coffin eulogy

He is obviously trying to drum up trade by getting himself in the news again!
Old 04-21-2007, 10:19 AM
Serene Highness

Guardian Article
'I read it to Diana's coffin and heard a whisper'

'I read it to Diana's coffin and heard a whisper' | Great speeches of the 20th century | Guardian Unlimited
Old 04-21-2007, 10:27 AM
Nobility

Two things really stand out among Earl Spencer's statements:

"I had read it to Althorp's two estate managers, who liked it very much, but advised me to remove a particularly bitter section attacking tabloid media moguls. I agreed with them: this was to be about Diana."

Pity he couldn't have given his godmother the same consideration.

"I also passed it by my then girlfriend, who was not one for reading or writing. "It sounds fine," she said."

Wasn't Earl Spencer still married to his first wife when Diana died? I seem to recall that Victoria accompanied to the funeral, in fact. And his remark about his girlfriend was completely disparaging.

Hypocrite. That whisper he heard wasn't satisfaction-it was horror. I think Diana would have found his attack on the RF appalling. She was trying to rebuild bridges, not destroy them further.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassie
Wasn't Earl Spencer still married to his first wife when Diana died? I seem to recall that Victoria accompanied to the funeral, in fact. And his remark about his girlfriend was completely disparaging.
He went to the funeral with his girlfriend, at the time, Josie Borain. He and Victoria were divorced, finally in Dec 1997. Hypocrite indeed.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Oh dear. Here we go again. Another 15 minutes of fame beckons. At this rate it's a fair bet that by the time of the Memorial service, the Wales' men won't be speaking to Uncle Charlie, and he may yet find himself "uninvited"!
Old 04-22-2007, 10:59 PM
Aristocracy

Charles Spencer is exactly like his father Johnnie Spencer in how he treats women. Johnnie Spencer was said to be a bully and a brute to his wives and that is why Diana's mother left him. Raine Spencer his second wife wasn't treated that much better but after he had his stroke, she took care of him until his death. Sounds like good ole Charlie is a clone of his father in looks and temprament.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

Is Earl Spencer cashing in on his own guilt again?

This is the time of year when you hear the call, as regular and persistent as the cuckoo.

It is the sound of Earl Spencer, attracting visitors to Althorp House where his sister, Diana, lies, her grave concealed in the centre of a lake across which visitors can peer for £12.50 a head. Hurry folks! Book your tickets for what is billed as "Diana: A Celebration". The house and Diana museum are open from July 2 to September 2. Lord Spencer, 42, is good at putting Althorp in the news.

Is Earl Spencer cashing in on his own guilt again? | the Daily Mail
Old 04-28-2007, 06:12 AM
Courtier

I thought his speech at Diana's funeral was crass, can this man stoop any lower?
Old 04-28-2007, 10:24 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
This is the time of year when you hear the call, as regular and persistent as the cuckoo.
I love that!
Old 04-28-2007, 12:10 PM
Courtier

I really don't care for Charles Spencer. I think he envied Diana because of the position she married into making her a Princess, which usurped his position as an Earl. His nephews also outranked him and his own children. I think Charles Spencer had an ego that is his own undoing. By refusing Diana the use of the house on the Estate, he was then "usurping" her with the only power he had over his sister. Again, his ego and "pidly" position (compared to Diana's) was his own undoing and he will continue to have a troubled and unstable life.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:42 PM
Nobility

He did not refuse her the use of a house on the Estate out of selfishness. That is an urban legend perpetuated by Paul Burrell, who has his own grievances against Earl Spencer. Ken Wharfe said, in his book, that after Spencer offered the Princess the use of the Garden House, he and the other royal protection officers examined the house and agreed that it was not functional for security purposes. For one thing, it was too close to the retaining wall of the estate. There was the security of William and Harry, as well as Diana, to consider, and the property had to fit within certain security considerations. There was no reason for Wharfe to lie about it-a simple examination of the layout of the Althorp grounds shows that the Garden House is close to the retaining wall. Spencer offered Diana the use of other homes that belong to the Spencers and she refused him because she was piqued-a point that Burrell has always conveniently forgotten to mention.

I don't care for Earl Spencer myself-but he was not the complete bad guy when it came to the Garden House issue. The offer was contingent on approval by Scotland Yard-and Scotland Yard didn't approve.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:51 PM
Courtier

Thanks for your response and the clarification. Again, the media has the ability to slant the truth and repeat inconsistencies and untruths for their own gain. I didn't have the information (or my poor memory has been my own undoing) to comment on it truthfully.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:32 PM
Serene Highness

After that eulogy, earl gives City a talking-to

After that eulogy, earl gives City a talking-to | Uk News | News | Telegraph
Old 06-10-2007, 05:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

Diana, the fight that never ends

Ten years after Diana died, the books and documentaries keep coming. The brother who defied the monarchy and the media at her funeral tells how his family still feels hunted

Diana, the fight that never ends-News-UK-TimesOnline
Old 06-23-2007, 12:54 PM
Serene Highness

Princess Diana's Brother Regrets Making Anti-Royal Speech At Her Funeral

AHN | Princess Diana's Brother Regrets Making Anti-Royal Speech At Her Funeral | June 23, 2007

Di's brother considers biography
Di's brother considers biography | Herald Sun
Old 08-19-2007, 02:01 PM
Serene Highness

Earl Spencer, a £500,000 painting dug up on his estate ... and questions the taxman might ask

Earl Spencer, a £500,000 painting dug up on his estate ... and questions the taxman might ask | the Daily Mail
Old 08-22-2007, 04:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

How well has Diana been served by her sister? | the Daily Mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
She was closer to Sarah, but as with the rest of the family, there were constant fallings out, IB.

Tags
althorp, diana, diana princess of wales, diana's family, diana: a celebration, earl spencer, museum, princess diana