The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-21-2016, 01:27 PM
Heir Apparent

As I understand althorp wasn't simply redecorated, it needed major repairs. She didn't sell their inheritance from under them. She saved it, by repairing a very old house that needed it, and paying off heavy debts the family had. Perhaps her style was not gaudy but Charles harps a fine house over his head not falling down and didn't inherit a huge debt because rain fun what needs to be fine. Though one could wish she hired a decorator. But do agree on chapel.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:59 PM
Heir Apparent

The children didn't need to be too upset. Althorp is still loaded to the ceilings with art and old paintings.

It would take a few lifetimes to sell it all. The Spencers were once the richest family in England.

Old 10-21-2016, 02:24 PM
Majesty

I'm no shrink but my hunch is that the Spencer kids focused the anger and resentment they felt at their father for remarrying and "abandoning" them on his new wife. Obviously it was not acceptable to taunt and torment their father in the manner they did the new Countess Spencer (even though Diana boasted to Andrew Morton in her dubious "True Story" that she once slapped Johnny across the face to express her feelings).

Their adored father was the real target of their rage and Raine was made to pay.

Johnny Spencer was a doting but passive father who turned the other cheek(literally in the case of Diana if her recollection of slapping him is true).

He apparently neither defended his new wife nor attempted to rein in his children.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 10-21-2016, 02:40 PM
Heir Apparent

I think there was some issue too one of the times the Earl was sick, Raine wasn't letting them into the hospital room to see him or something.

Diana seems to have somewhat reconciled with Raine before her death.

LaRae
Old 10-21-2016, 02:46 PM
Majesty

Yes thank you Pranter I had forgotten about that.

When Johnny Spencer suffered his near fatal stroke in 1978 Raine is credited with sticking by his side and virtually willing him to live but in the process she is alleged to have kept everyone else away from him, including his children.

Diana in particular was incensed at being kept away from "Daddy"'s sick room.

It was not until close to the end of her life and during the period of estrangement from her own mother Frances that Diana began to appreciate what Raine had done for her father.

But I'm not sure if Charles, Sarah and Jane ever did.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 10-21-2016, 03:28 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think any of the other kids have spoken about it so yeah they may not of reconciled with her.

You never saw them with her, that I'm aware of, after the death of the Earl.

LaRae
Old 10-21-2016, 03:28 PM
Serene Highness

'Dysfunctional' doesn't even BEGIN to describe the menage that was the Althrop Raine walked into... 4 DEEPLY damaged young people traumatised by their 'bolter' of a Mother leaving them, and their beloved Father.
Raine [a very 'strong 'character'] was inevitably resented/detested by the children, who ganged up on her, with their Father remaining neutral [at best]. The subsequent histories of ALL [but one] of the children speaks volumes of the mess that was made of their upbringing, and [I would argue] Raine contributed relatively little to that mess, the damage being [largely] already done.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:39 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I don't think any of the other kids have spoken about it so yeah they may not of reconciled with her.

You never saw them with her, that I'm aware of, after the death of the Earl.

LaRae
There may be a good explanation for that. Johnny Spencer died on March 29, 1992 and Raine remarried again 16 months later in July of 1993 to Count Jean-François Pineton de Chambrun. The Spencer children most likely could have felt that everyone had moved on and it all was water under the bridge by that time.

As the relationship with the Spencer children was frosty at its best even though Diana did seem to come to an understanding with Raine, once their father was out of the picture and Charles inherited Althorp, it had to be common knowledge that Raine was seeing someone that she would eventually marry. There was really nothing left to fight about or have resentments about.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:20 PM
Majesty

I wonder if Charles will permit her to be buried at Althorp, or if Raine even wanted to be considering how miserably she was treated there?

Old 10-21-2016, 04:22 PM
Majesty

It would be nice if some of the Spencers went to Raine's funeral. It would show that bygones are bygones.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:31 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I wonder if Charles will permit her to be buried at Althorp, or if Raine even wanted to be considering how miserably she was treated there?
One reason why she wouldn't be buried at Althorp is because of a remarriage, she was no longer Countess Spencer. She was also divorced from her third husband at the time of death.

Perhaps there is a family plot somewhere where she'll be buried along with her parents and relatives? I really don't know.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:05 PM
Majesty

Ah, good point Osipi, thanks.

At the time of her death she was la Comtesse de Chambrun, divorced or not I suppose.

Mermaid1962 I agree with you!

Old 10-21-2016, 05:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Do you believe that Prince William and Prince Henry will attend their grandmother's funeral?
Old 10-21-2016, 05:58 PM
Majesty

Well, Raine was not their grandmother at all..she was the step-mother of their late mother. When their maternal grandmother Frances Shand-Kydd died both William and Harry did attend her funeral rites in Scotland.

I would be surprised if they attended Raine's funeral but who knows? At the very least they will probably send flowers or a note or something I suppose.

Old 10-21-2016, 06:23 PM
Majesty

I'm in agreement with Moonmaiden that I don't think either William or Harry will attend the funeral services for Raine.

I would be surprised if either of them actually have many memories of her. I do think they will acknowledge her death by flowers or condolences as Raine was part of their extended family in their childhood but as services are held for those that will miss her and mourn her, I don't think Will and Harry would fit in that category.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
One reason why she wouldn't be buried at Althorp is because of a remarriage, she was no longer Countess Spencer. She was also divorced from her third husband at the time of death.

Perhaps there is a family plot somewhere where she'll be buried along with her parents and relatives? I really don't know.
She wouldn't be the first or likely hundredth person who remarried as a widow and was buried with the first husband, or in her case second. She is johns widow and spent many years with him. Just because she remarried as a widow doesn't take away the tears they spent. But if there is still bad blood with Charles, I could see him refusing.

Not sure if her dads family has a plot. But her mother was buried on her estate, so perhaps Raine will be buried there. But she wasn't close to her mom at all.

Hopefully she made her wishes known to her children. I would hope if she wanted to be duty John Charles would be a big enough man to honor that but who knows.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Isn't Johnny Spencer buried in the Spencer vault at a church near the estate but not on the estate? Maybe Raine could do something similar to Princess Margaret did (cremation and bury the ashes with her parents) with the late Earl.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 10-21-2016, 10:39 PM
Nobility

It is interesting that her son, the current Earl of Dartmouth announced Raine's death and referred to her as "Raine, Countess Spencer..."
Old 10-22-2016, 12:09 AM
Royal Highness

May she rest in peace. Condolences to her family and friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
It is interesting that her son, the current Earl of Dartmouth announced Raine's death and referred to her as "Raine, Countess Spencer..."
I recall she reverted to using the "Countess Spencer" style/title after divorcing her 3rd husband so her son simply used the title she preferred.

Would her correct style/title be Raine, Comtesse de Chambrun?
Old 10-22-2016, 06:13 AM
Majesty

All in all, I think that as Raine's children are the ones that are being the spokespeople in announcing her death and perhaps the ones closest to Raine in her last years, they will decide on the internment.

Many people do plan ahead for this kind of thing. When my dad passed away, my mother had the headstone made up with both of their names on it and both were cremated. My mother could have remarried but yet stipulated where she was to be buried.

Wherever Raine is buried, my wish is that she forever rests in peace and those that remember her with fond memories.

Tags
althorp, diana, diana princess of wales, diana's family, diana: a celebration, earl spencer, museum, princess diana