The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-18-2014, 04:28 PM
Heir Apparent

I'd have liked to have seen this exhibit, but it was never close enough to where I live. The note about her sitting next to Prince Charles at Princess Margaret's 50th Birthday Party was poignant. Lady Jane Wellesley was apparently on his other side.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:57 PM
Majesty

I still think the exhibit should've toured New York, Washington D.C., Chicago and California.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 07-18-2014, 11:47 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that the closest it ever came to me was Toronto, which is over a day's drive from where I live.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Princess Diana's memorial 'neglected', former royal chef claims - Telegraph
17 August 2014

Princess Diana's memorial 'neglected', former royal chef claims

Princess Diana’s brother Earl Spencer has been criticised for allowing her memorial stone to become "messy and overgrown", by her former chef.

Darren McGrady, who worked for the Princess of Wales after her divorce from Prince Charles in 1996, accused her brother of neglecting the gravestone which is situated in the grounds of his Althorp Estate.

The chef tweeted a series of images of the memorial, which is placed on an island in a lake, surrounded by overgrown vegetation and algae covered water. Mr McGrady, who also spent 11 years working at Buckingham Palace, said: “If I cared for Princess Diana in life as you are doing in death I would have been fired. Please tidy up the vegetation on the island. Prove you wanted Princess Diana there through love and not just to make money.”

While Diana’s final resting place was kept a secret for security reasons, a memorial including a small temple was built on the Althorp Estate which people can visit for £18.

Mr McGrady, who now works in Texas and calls himself The Royal Chef on Twitter, added: “Made me so sad to see how Althorp Estate has neglected Princess Diana's resting place.”

A spokesman for the estate said the spread of algae was the result of a hot summer and was a common problem. He said: “Algae is an unsightly problem for many lakes in the summer months...the exceptional temperatures of this summer have made the task of keeping it entirely under control extremely difficult.”
Old 08-31-2014, 01:28 PM
Majesty

Royaltyspeaking @Royal_talk · 40m
Princess Dianas wedding gown&possessions have been returned to Wills and Harry today after the world wide tour came to a close two weeks ago

What will Prince Harry and Prince William inherit from Princess Diana?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...ess-Diana.html

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 10-06-2014, 05:11 PM
Majesty

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 10-08-2014, 05:01 AM
Aristocracy

The article refers to two priceless tiaras Diana has left William and Harry. Surely Diana didn't own any tiaras of her own? She wore the Spencer tiara on her wedding day, her brother Earl Spencer owns it now, and the others she is known to have worn on state occasions and galas came from the Royal Collections. So yet another newspaper article which makes no sense.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
The article refers to two priceless tiaras Diana has left William and Harry. Surely Diana didn't own any tiaras of her own? She wore the Spencer tiara on her wedding day, her brother Earl Spencer owns it now, and the others she is known to have worn on state occasions and galas came from the Royal Collections. So yet another newspaper article which makes no sense.
You are right, Diana did not own any tiaras.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:07 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
She had an idyllic childhood away from the media spotlight, but LADY KITTY SPENCER is now following in the charitable footsteps of her aunt, Diana, Princess of Wales. She tells Catherine O’Brien about the cause that’s close to her heart

The hair is a tumbling swish rather than a neat bob, but the eyes are the same piercing blue, and to anyone who lived through the Diana era, the genetic inheritance is uncanny. Sitting before me is Lady Kitty Spencer, daughter of Charles, the 9th Earl Spencer and niece of the late Princess of Wales. She’s nervous – which is hardly surprising when you bear in mind she belongs to one of the most scrutinised and hounded dynasties in recent history – so as she talks, she glances downwards and enunciates her words softly and deliberately just as her aunt used to. But it is also evident, from her warm handshake and gentle smile, that she has that same instinctive ability to put others at ease. ‘I suppose people will always try to make the comparisons,’ she says, blushing furiously, when I remark on the similarities between them. ‘But, gosh, if you think that, then I am really happy.’
In her first major interview, Diana's niece Lady Kitty Spencer tells YOU why she wants to support British military heroes* | Daily Mail Online
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my new group!
Old 10-13-2014, 10:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'm reading the recorded Bradford Diana. It's read by Katherine Kellgren. She pronounces Althorp all-trip. I remember the TV program Secrets of Althorp using the pronounciation all-thorp. Are both used?
Old 10-13-2014, 10:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I'm reading the recorded Bradford Diana. It's read by Katherine Kellgren. She pronounces Althorp all-trip. I remember the TV program Secrets of Althorp using the pronounciation all-thorp. Are both used?
Awl thrup as far as I remember. Doesnt have to look sensible. Its English. Bear in mind that Featherstonehaugh is pronounced Fanshawe.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 10-13-2014, 12:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Awl thrup as far as I remember. Doesnt have to look sensible. Its English. Bear in mind that Featherstonehaugh is pronounced Fanshawe.
Thanks, Cepe. Sometimes I think I must be going mad!
Old 10-25-2014, 12:03 AM
Majesty

Lady Kitty Spencer follows in aunt Princess Diana's charitable footsteps as she hosts prestigious event in London with mother (who still looks glamorous on crutches)-
Princess Diana's niece Lady Kitty Spencer hosts London event | Daily Mail Online

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 10-25-2014, 12:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

BTW, I just finished Earl Spencer's book on Althorp and I thought it extremely well written. The Eton shows.
And he discribes the pronunciation as Awl-thrupp.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:36 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Lady Kitty Spencer follows in aunt Princess Diana's charitable footsteps as she hosts prestigious event in London with mother (who still looks glamorous on crutches)-
Princess Diana's niece Lady Kitty Spencer hosts London event | Daily Mail Online
Very commendable that Lady Kitty received the gold medal prize for psychology!
Old 10-25-2014, 08:03 PM
Serene Highness

She really doesn't look like Diana at all.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 10-25-2014, 09:58 PM
Serene Highness

She is blonde which is somewhat strange since Earl Spencer is a redhead and Victoria is brunette. I think the 2 other older Spencer girls are also blonde too. Recessive genes I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 10-25-2014, 10:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Lady Kitty is striking, as are all of Earl Spencer's offspring.

Tags
althorp, diana, diana princess of wales, diana's family, diana: a celebration, earl spencer, museum, princess diana