The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-18-2014, 08:58 PM
Administrator

Althorp the house would still receive a sizeable number of visitors (although it is currently closed) and the Estate is run on a commercial basis. Maintenance is progressive and if large projects such as the recent re-roofing couldn't be paid for in cash then a bank loan based on future income may have been available.

I would imagine that Highclere would be toting up the cash from the increased number of visitors over the past few years. No matter how good the paying attendance figures, no aristocrat with a large house and estate to maintain is going to cry rich.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:22 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Picture:
Diana’s brother Charles, the 9th Earl Spencer with his family in St. Tropez 2013-
The House of Spencer: Photo
Wow! They are lovely and happy family
All of his children are gorgeous

Old 01-18-2014, 11:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Picture:
Diana’s brother Charles, the 9th Earl Spencer with his family in St. Tropez 2013-
The House of Spencer: Photo

Does anyone know who all of the men in the picture are? If I'm correct, Earl Spencer only has 2 sons, and I believe the Countess only has daughters.

The women are easy to count, in addition to the Countess there's her two daughters from her first marriage (who I'm guessing are the two brunettes), Charles' 3 daughters from his first marriage (I think the eldest is on the back and the twins are on the left), his 1 daughter from his second (in the front, beside his son from that marriage), and the couple' some daughter (who the Countess is holding). That leaves the 3 men in the back, one of whom is Viscount Althorp and the other two who I'm not sure of.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:59 AM
Royal Highness

I'm assuming the other two men are boyfriends of his daughters.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:31 AM

Just FYI, of the three men in the back of the photo:

The tall blond in the center (long hair) is Viscount Althorp.

The dark-haired young man on the left is Matthew Rozowsky, Lady Eliza's boyfriend.

The blond on the right is Greg Mallet, Lady Amelia's boyfriend.

I think Lady Amelia's BF is an athlete of some sort. I don't know about the other one.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:46 PM
Serene Highness

If you read The Spencers: A Personal History of an English Family by Charles Spencer, how did you like the book?
Old 01-30-2014, 11:47 PM
Heir Apparent

I have read it and it's fascinating. The Spencers are linked to almost every noble family in England by blood or by marriage. Their story is literally the history of Britain.

Say what you want about the 9th Earl, but he is an excellent writer and a highly intelligent man who really knows to tell a story and engage his reader.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:46 PM
Serene Highness

Charles Edward Maurice wrote with great depth. The Spencers was pleasant to read.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:43 PM
Gentry

Quote:
I do think a documentary should be made on Althorp. I think there's a great deal of history behind the estate.
There is a documentary out there about Althorp and it is recent. I saw it on my PBS station. There was also one about Highclare and another one or two that I can't remember right now. They were shown after "Downton Abbey" on Sunday nights in 2013 and are repeated often. I don't know where you live or if these documentaries were only shown in America but you can probably find them on Netflix or similar.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:16 PM
Administrator

He might be questionable as husband material but he does have a beautiful family! I will put the book on my must read list.

ETA: Shame on me! I have the book and have not found time to read it.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:25 PM
Heir Apparent

He does indeed have gorgeous children. His three eldest daughters are sometimes called "The Three Graces" in the tabloids and I can see why.

BTW Zonk, don't feel badly about the book, I'm the same way. I have so many books...I tend to purchase them then forget that I own them, and go to check them out at the library!
Old 02-11-2014, 02:52 AM
Majesty

Rare Pictures:
On 1 June 1954, Princess Diana’s parents, Lord Spencer and Frances Ruth Roche, the younger daughter of the 4th Baron Fermoy, were married in Westminster Abbey by Percy Herbert, Bishop of Norwich.

HM The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh, The Queen Mother, Princess Margaret and other members of the Royal Family attended-
The Queen and her Duke | On 1 June 1954, Princess Diana

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 02-11-2014, 03:45 PM
Serene Highness

Dman, What splendid pictures!!
Old 03-04-2014, 08:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Notting Hill writer and Earl Spencer fight Kensington and Chelsea over new school bid - London - News - London Evening Standard
Quote:
The team behind hit movie romance Notting Hill joined forces with Princess Diana’s brother today in a battle with the council over plans for a new school in the area.

Richard Curtis and Tim Bevan — writer and producer of the 1999 film starring Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant — have written to Kensington and Chelsea council opposing the granting of a 20-year lease for a new primary school on the site of a former training centre.

A deluge of letters have been sent by residents and parents in a dispute over which private school group would win a 20-year rental for the Isaac Newton Centre premises in Lancaster Road.

Notting Hill Preparatory School — whose pupils include the children of Curtis, Bevan and Earl Spencer, is already based in the street and wanted to expand on to the site.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:18 PM
Courtier

The spencer ladys are all beautiful!!
Old 06-10-2014, 08:43 PM
Courtier

Earl Spencer looks more and more like his father everyday, except his hair is fair. His daughters truly are beautiful, as is his current wife.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sancakli70 View Post
The spencer ladys are all beautiful!!
Personally, I think the Spencer sons are quite handsome as well.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:06 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
[....]The blond on the right is Greg Mallet, Lady Amelia's boyfriend. I think Lady Amelia's BF is an athlete of some sort. [....']
In my country there is an Olympic swimmer named Grégory Mallet, but he is not blond at all, so probably there are two athletes with a similar name.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:18 PM
Majesty

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 07-17-2014, 01:13 PM
Majesty

Final weeks of Diana, Princess of Wales exhibition open for public viewing-
Final weeks of Diana, Princess of Wales exhibition open for public viewing

Dr. Maya Angelou

Tags
althorp, diana, diana princess of wales, diana's family, diana: a celebration, earl spencer, museum, princess diana