The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-08-2013, 11:28 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nofret View Post
Why the malls? Probably the money is best...
I don't know, I'm thinking they would make more money for her charities if it toured the major cities, which would be a big event. The Exhibition would get a great deal of publicity and I think the people would flock to these events.

I think the Jacqueline Kennedy Exhibition did very well in the big US cities.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Good grief, she has been dead for more than 15 years and they are still dragging her bits and pieces across middle America. I am surprised they are not selling package trips to Althrop "Come sleep in Dianas childhood bedroom, only 2000 pounds a night ; view the island where she is buried for only 1500 extra". Let the poor woman rest in peace.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:24 PM

The Diana exhibit is at West Edmonton Mall right now. Looks amazing, can't wait to check it out. I think it will do well.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:37 PM
Nobility

The CCTV of China (equivalent to BBC of Uk) made a series of TV documentaries about some famous people from all fields of UK, to promote the 2012 London Olympic.

One of the people they chose was Diana. The title of the documentary was "Fragile, but Great", and it was mainly about Diana's charity work.

There were an interview of Earl Spencer, a tour of Althorp and Diana's resting place in it. The documentary was done in Chinese, but the interview with Earl Spencer was still in English.

[
Old 02-15-2013, 07:33 PM
Serene Highness

1989 - Rare family photo

http://25.media.tumblr.com/0f89ba4ff...i0jao1_500.jpg
Old 02-15-2013, 07:49 PM
Majesty

I do think a documentary should be made on Althorp. I think there's a great deal of history behind the estate.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:28 PM
Serene Highness

Just reading all the info on the estate site, it's got tons of history.

LaRae
Old 02-15-2013, 08:46 PM
Heir Apparent

IMO, if there was no connection to Diana, then this House doesn't really rate a mention. I have a number of friends in the US and I have never listed this as a must visit place. Outside of London, I would say Windsor (history across the ages + royal factor); Blenheim - architectural masterpiece; Chatsworth (home of the Dukes of DEvonshire) for the grandeur and scale of English nobility and for the rugged coastal view - Alnwick the seat of the Dukes of Northumberland.

There are probably a 100 houses like Althorp so it isn't outstanding.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-15-2013, 09:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think Althorp rates a documentary. Yes, there are many homes like it, but perhaps this just means there should be many documentaries.

Here is a very short clip of Tim Wonnacott there which I saw in an episode of Bargain Hunt. Tim Wonnacott of BBC's Bargain Hunt visits Althorp House I don't know whether this has been posted earlier in the thread, and it's a very long thread so forgive me if I don't check through it.

The home has an interesting history, and is full of interesting and significant paintings and items. I also saw Fiona Bruce's visit for Antiques Roadshow, but I can't find a video of that.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:30 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

@FaySchlesinger: Earl Spencer under pressure to explain how his Albert Hall debenture box is touted online for 3x face value http://t.co/4PoWzDpdkB @thetimes
Old 04-12-2013, 02:30 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I'm assuming this goes here;
Lady Kitty Spencer goes public with England cricket star (and Old Harrovian) Nick Compton | Mail Online
Old 04-12-2013, 04:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashley View Post
The Diana exhibit is at West Edmonton Mall right now. Looks amazing, can't wait to check it out. I think it will do well.
I saw it a couple of years ago at in Connecticut. I quite enjoyed it.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:44 PM
Majesty

Spencer girl and a cricket love match: now Lady Kitty's boyfriend is invited to join the family on holiday in the South of France:
Spencer girl and a cricket love match: now Lady Kitty's boyfriend is invited to join the family on holiday in the South of France | Mail Online

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 09-03-2013, 08:58 AM
Majesty

I still think the Exhibition should've hit the major US cities; New York, Washington, Chicago and Los Angeles.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 09-04-2013, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I do think a documentary should be made on Althorp...
There has been, broadcast on PBS in July, and it's pretty good.
Here is the PBS link [not available in some countries]
Video: Secrets of Althorp - The Spencers | Watch Secrets of the Manor House Online | PBS Video
Old 09-04-2013, 04:15 PM
Majesty

Yes, I've seen it. It was about time a documentary was made about the estate.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 11-28-2013, 07:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

Princess Diana's niece Lady Kitty Spencer attends charity party in London | Mail Online
Old 01-18-2014, 09:53 AM
Majesty

Picture:
Diana’s brother Charles, the 9th Earl Spencer with his family in St. Tropez 2013-
The House of Spencer: Photo

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 01-18-2014, 11:06 AM
Royal Highness

A very attractive family!
Old 01-18-2014, 01:05 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
There has been, broadcast on PBS in July, and it's pretty good.
Here is the PBS link [not available in some countries]
Video: Secrets of Althorp - The Spencers | Watch Secrets of the Manor House Online | PBS Video
I watched that, and I really enjoyed it. Though I did have a question about something after I watched that and some documentaries on the Downton Abbey house. How is it Earl Spencer was able to re do the whole house (according to him ) but it is very hard for The Carnarvons and others to fix up their homes? For example I think there are still quite a few rooms and even the roof needs to be fixed on Highclere Castle. Though I don't know when the documentary I am thinking of was done so it could have been fixed up by now.

Tags
althorp, diana, diana princess of wales, diana's family, diana: a celebration, earl spencer, museum, princess diana