The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-21-2011, 09:37 AM
Administrator

I doubt that he will lease Althrop. Its a working farm or business enterprise. In addition, while his eldest children were growing up he spent a large portion of his time in South Africa. With technology today, he can manage his business as well as spend enough time at Althrop as required.

I was reading a quote of Queen Beatix of the Netherlands who when asked if it was wise for all members of the DRF to be somewhere (questioning the lack of regent I guess), she stated that for a short amount of time business can be conducted by phone, email or fax. So I am guess the Earl is thinking the same. In addition, he must have a capable Estate Manager to run the day to day management of the estate.

The Spencers ae not like the Gloucesters who leased Barnwell as result of financial matters (death taxes) as well as convenience (harder to manage for the Duke). In order for Earl Spencer to deal with the death taxes as well as improvements for Althrop he just cleaned the attics and sold a bunch of stuff that was just sittting there!

Old 06-21-2011, 10:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

The new Countess is certainly beautiful. Wishing them both a long and happy marriage.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
William and Kate did not attend the wedding due to his work commitments at the Royal Air Force Valley in Anglesey. Prince Harry also missed the service due to "a long-standing private engagement".
Princess Diana's brother marries for 3rd time - Trends News - IBNLive
Kate & William didn’t attend Princess Diana's brother’s wedding - Entertainment & Stars
Perhaps the Wales boys took the view that they if they could not attend the wedding, they could always attend the next wedding of Charles Spencer!
Old 06-21-2011, 08:24 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta
The new Countess is certainly beautiful. Wishing them both a long and happy marriage.
Yes, she is very beautiful and I wish them happiness, too. I'm hoping it's true that the third time's the charm.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPWillie View Post
Yes, she is very beautiful and I wish them happiness, too. I'm hoping it's true that the third time's the charm.
I admit that she actually is the nicest of all his wives,I hope she will learn to be smart enough with such a man as Spencer,in order that her joy wouldn't be premature,as her self-proud aspect at William's wedding seemed silly and I hope that she would have patience.And earl Spencer should learn to appreciate the woman who is his wife and not to repeat previous falling marriages.But I think he's grown up for more maturity and stability in relations.I still think his previous fiancee from Elliot family made a good choice by breaking their engagement.
Anyway good luck for them,maybe they'll for a child at least.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliza View Post
I find it difficult to believe the DM is correct in stating that Princes William and Harry have not spoken to Earl Spencer for almost fourteen years. (But then again, I find much of what the DM prints non-credible.) Would they visit their Mother's grave and ignore their uncle? Possible, but not probable, IMHO.
For heaven's sake , William and Harry, spoke to their uncle just a short time ago, at William's wedding.
I read in Majesty today that after their wedding William and Kate visted Althorp, and the Earl, as well as Diana's grave.
W& H saw him at the opening of the Diana Fountain, as well as the Diana 10 year memorial service. What planet is the DM on?
Old 06-21-2011, 11:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Hate to be nasty on what should be a glorious wedding day but given his track record
If it helps Zonk, I am with you.
He does not look very happy.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
For heaven's sake , William and Harry, spoke to their uncle just a short time ago, at William's wedding.
I read in Majesty today that after their wedding William and Kate visted Althorp, and the Earl, as well as Diana's grave.
W& H saw him at the opening of the Diana Fountain, as well as the Diana 10 year memorial service. What planet is the DM on?

I doubt the princes see much of their uncle, though.
And it's telling that neither one attended his wedding. (with rather lame excuses, at that!)
Old 06-25-2011, 04:02 PM
Nobility

During the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's wedding, after the Princes arrived at the Abbey...they greeted a few guests and went to the pews where the Spencers were sitted. Prince William talked to his aunt, Lady Sarah and Prince Harry to his uncle, the Earl Spencer before they headed out to the wing where they awaited out of sight the start of the wedding. It was very moving to me as I thought of their mother at that moment.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:37 PM
Courtier

The traveling exhibition

The exhibition of Diana's wedding gown, tiara, and other gowns and memorabilia will be in Connecticut soon! Foxwoods Resort in Mashantucket will host the display from September 16, 2011, til January 15, 2012. I believe the tickets are $20-25, and are available from Ticketmaster and foxwoodsresort.com. Hope to see some of you there.
Meg
Old 07-17-2011, 10:27 AM
Heir Apparent

'It was very moving to me as I thought of their mother at that moment.' - And how ironic unfortunately! None of them treated Diana as they should have, as a sister in other words, when she was alive. It was touching somehow and odd at the same time, at least to me.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:39 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thena View Post
That does make sense. I just couldn't imagine why the Earl made such a big fuss about getting the tiara back from Diana and yet his new bride did not wear it. We'll have to wait for a formal occasion before the new Countess Spencer gets to show it off.
Earl Spencer made a fuss about getting the tiara back from Diana because he was in the middle of an argument with her. He had agreed to lease her a house inside the park at Althorp and then reneged. When Diana would not communicate with him, he demanded the return of the tiara, although Diana was the only Spencer with reason to wear it often and she always knew it didn't "belong" to her. It was pure spite on the Earl's part. I find it disgusting how he "welcomed" his sister's body into Althorp and now charges people money to view the island and a museum about her when he wouldn't allow her to live there "because of the press and people intrusion". Guess he can take the intrusion now that it makes him money. His whole speech at Westminster Abbey said a lot of things correctly that needed to be said, but the Earl was the WRONG person to be saying them. The Spencers treated Diana badly with the exception of her father. Shame on them for profiting from her death.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:08 PM
Royal Highness

Very well stated Aliza.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:04 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliza View Post
Earl Spencer made a fuss about getting the tiara back from Diana because he was in the middle of an argument with her...
Diana never had possession of the Spencer Tiara!!!! It was in a bank vault in London, when Diana wanted to wear it, it had to be sent for and signed out. It was then returned back to the bank vault, it never remained at Kensington Palace with Diana! The tiara was lent to her first by her father and then her brother, she never had possession of it.

The house Diana wanted to live in on the Althrop Estate was near the boundary fence and of easy access to photographers. Charles Spencer was concerned about the press intrusion so he said no to Diana for that particular house. He then offered her another one on the estate, but Diana had a tantrum as she couldn't get the one she wanted and so they had one of their periods of falling out!

Charles Spencer's decision to bury Diana on the island at Althrop was the best thing he could have done for his sister. It stopped the "Diana crazies" from making a mockery of her final burial place. This way it's private and controlled, William and Kate went there before they were married. Totally in private and no-one had access to them or their time there alone. Diana was a real person to her sons and siblings, not just an image in a magazine, on TV or in the newspaper, her family have the right to say who can have access to her burial place. Not total strangers! How arrogant is that!?

The whole 'making money from Diana' is a ridiculous arguement too. There is no separate charge for the Diana exhibition, it's so low key it's not even advertised on Althrop's Home page. Althrop has a very short season when it's open, stately homes in the UK are normally open from April to late October. Althrop is only open 8 weeks, July 1st to August 30th. Had Charles Spencer wanted to 'make money from Diana' he would have the house and grounds open for 6 months not 8 weeks! (He doesn't live there fulltime so it wouldn't be a privacy issue with him.) Earl Spencer is a very wealthy man, his income comes from farm rentals, commercial property rentals, forestry and cottage rentals. He has 2 other smaller estates apart from Althrop.

He does need to tour the Diana exhibition to cover the cost of the insurance he needs to pay to keep it together. That's why it does the rounds of the US. The profits from the exhibition are still fed into the Diana Memorial Fund (Diana's sister Sarah runs it) with fewer people seeing it in the UK, it tours what was 'Diana territory" the US.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:21 AM
Heir Apparent

What is the purpose of the Diana Memorial Fund?
Old 07-19-2011, 12:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

It provides grants to charitable organizations and to raise awareness.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:25 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1 View Post
Diana never had possession of the Spencer Tiara!!!! It was in a bank vault in London, when Diana wanted to wear it, it had to be sent for and signed out. It was then returned back to the bank vault, it never remained at Kensington Palace with Diana! The tiara was lent to her first by her father and then her brother, she never had possession of it.

The house Diana wanted to live in on the Althrop Estate was near the boundary fence and of easy access to photographers. Charles Spencer was concerned about the press intrusion so he said no to Diana for that particular house. He then offered her another one on the estate, but Diana had a tantrum as she couldn't get the one she wanted and so they had one of their periods of falling out!

Charles Spencer's decision to bury Diana on the island at Althrop was the best thing he could have done for his sister. It stopped the "Diana crazies" from making a mockery of her final burial place. This way it's private and controlled, William and Kate went there before they were married. Totally in private and no-one had access to them or their time there alone. Diana was a real person to her sons and siblings, not just an image in a magazine, on TV or in the newspaper, her family have the right to say who can have access to her burial place. Not total strangers! How arrogant is that!?

The whole 'making money from Diana' is a ridiculous arguement too. There is no separate charge for the Diana exhibition, it's so low key it's not even advertised on Althrop's Home page. Althrop has a very short season when it's open, stately homes in the UK are normally open from April to late October. Althrop is only open 8 weeks, July 1st to August 30th. Had Charles Spencer wanted to 'make money from Diana' he would have the house and grounds open for 6 months not 8 weeks! (He doesn't live there fulltime so it wouldn't be a privacy issue with him.) Earl Spencer is a very wealthy man, his income comes from farm rentals, commercial property rentals, forestry and cottage rentals. He has 2 other smaller estates apart from Althrop.

He does need to tour the Diana exhibition to cover the cost of the insurance he needs to pay to keep it together. That's why it does the rounds of the US. The profits from the exhibition are still fed into the Diana Memorial Fund (Diana's sister Sarah runs it) with fewer people seeing it in the UK, it tours what was 'Diana territory" the US.

Earl Spencer had promised his sister the "Garden House", formerly occupied by her sister Jane as well as the actor Peter O'Toole. He stated in a letter to her that he needed the house for an estate agent he was bringing in and offered her a house outside the park because he didn't want his family to deal with the press, etc.

Both Paul Burrell and Patrick Jephson comment on the manner of the tiara. It was kept in Diana's safe next to the Cambridge Lovers Knot tiara, which she was allowed to keep by the Windsors even after the divorce.

Not one of Diana's friends who have been interviewed believe the island is an appropriate burial place for a woman who hated being alone.

If the Earl is so wealthy, then why has he sold titles and other objects of museum quality from Althorp? I understand he is wealthy in terms of assets, but obviously not in liquidity or these sales would not be necessary.

Every Diana biography worth its salt has commented on how the Spencers, again with the exception of her father, treated her. I doubt the Princess would have made such close friends with Raine, Countess Spencer if all was as it should have been in her relations with her brother, etc.

Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I have never seen any verification of the claims of the tiara being kept in a London bank; indeed, it doesn't even make sense. Why would Earl Spencer have had to write to Patrick Jephson to demand its return if he could access it in the bank? Paul Burrell, one can question some of his information, considering how the Spencers treated him, but Patrick Jephson would have nothing to gain from inventing stories about the Princess' family.

BTW, if Diana was not allowed to keep the Spencer tiara in her possession at KP where it was secure - then why was she allowed to take it on so many overseas tours, where security would have been much more limited? The claim that this tiara was kept in the bank in London doesn't even pass the common sense test. Sorry. I will continue to hold my current opinion of Earl Spencer and I know I have good reason to do so.

One more point; the Earl has not been shy in suing for libel, yet he did not deny one word of what Paul Burrell copied of his letters to Diana in Burrell's first book. Case closed for me.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Where do I put this?
Diana memorial fund to close after 14 years | Mail Online

I'm quite sad about this tbh
Old 07-19-2011, 10:49 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliza
One more point; the Earl has not been shy in suing for libel, yet he did not deny one word of what Paul Burrell copied of his letters to Diana in Burrell's first book. Case closed for me.
I agree with many of your points but as an aside you can't sue for libel that YOU wrote something in a letter....libel is someone writing something bad about you that proves to have a negative effect, not someone republishing something you wrote. If PB obtained the letters illegally maybe he could sue but not for libel ......
Old 07-19-2011, 10:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Where do I put this?
Diana memorial fund to close after 14 years | Mail Online

I'm quite sad about this tbh
It is sad, I always thought Harry would take over after his aunt. Well at least the memorial fund has donated more than $100 million to charities.

Tags
althorp, diana, diana princess of wales, diana's family, diana: a celebration, earl spencer, museum, princess diana