The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-14-2011, 09:25 PM
Nobility

That he pretended that he was always there for Diana when he wasn't. As another member said, the absence of the Spencer relatives is very apparent though many have speculated that Louis Spencer may be an usher at this event.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
So, will Earl Spencer bring Karen Gordon to the wedding? It would be so strange if he doesn't, since she is his fiancee.
Given his track record there is always the possibility the engagement would be over before April 29th.
I certainly doubt this couple will celebrate too many wedding anniversaries, Champage Charlie just seems more of a serial monogamist than a life long partner.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Here is the ecatalog of christies Althorp sale last year. It is fun to see the coronation robes, etc www.christies.com/LotFinder/searchresults.aspx?intSaleID=22870 .
Old 03-16-2011, 02:36 PM
Aristocracy

William and Harry reportedly applauded their uncle's eulogy for their mother and are friendly with all their Spencer cousins. There's no reason to think they are not.To date Spencer hasn't been married any more times than Prince Charles. As for Prince Charles liking the Earl, apparently he has never cared much for his brothers in law, including, Mark Phillips and I 've never seen him pictured with Camilla when she attends events like a book signing by her brother Mark Shand.

Of course the Queen and PoW shook hands with Earl Spencer at the opening of the Diana Memorial Fountain in London. Stricly a formality I would guess.

Had not the Earl designed a beautiful memorial place at the family seat, his sister would have no fitting memorial. The fountain in London has been a great disappointment as well as an health hazard in many aspects. Besides Althrop has been opened to the public for decades and was always a popular stately home to visit in that area.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie of The Sea View Post
To date Spencer hasn't been married any more times than Prince Charles.
True, though he has been divorced twice, and engaged on at least 4 occassions!

Quote:
Had not the Earl designed a beautiful memorial place at the family seat, his sister would have no fitting memorial. The fountain in London has been a great disappointment as well as an health hazard in many aspects. Besides Althrop has been opened to the public for decades and was always a popular stately home to visit in that area.
Like it or not, the fountain in London was chosen not by a spiteful member of the royal family, but by a comittee chaired by then Chancellor Gardon Brown. Dissappointment or not, the fountain is a public memorial, and available to all members of the public.

The memorial at Althorp is yet another money making venture by Charlie Spencer. As is publicly known, the relationship between Charlie Spencer and Diana was not the warmest at the time of her death.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:33 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
The memorial at Althorp is yet another money making venture by Charlie Spencer. As is publicly known, the relationship between Charlie Spencer and Diana was not the warmest at the time of her death.
I think Earl Spencer and Princess Diana relationship at the time of her death were cordial. She visited him in South Africa when she was alone on a holiday. The two relatives that the princess was distance to at the time of her death were her mother and her sister, Jane.

Maybe I look for the best in everyone. The memorial at Althrop was built by the love of a brother for his dead, popular sister. The Earl's speech at Diana's funeral shows to me that he as head of the Spencer family wanted to protect his sister memory. He spent a lot to build the structure, so I don't think he made a profit. The Earl must have know that through the years the grave would not be that popular attraction.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
William and Harry reportedly applauded their uncle's eulogy for their mother and are friendly with all their Spencer cousins. There's no reason to think they are not.
I have read that William was very unhappy about that eulogy, and considered it a direct attack on his father (to whom he is said to be exceptionally close).

As far as we know, William's Spencer cousins have no role in the wedding whatsoever. However, as the various wedding events occur, we may be able to get a better idea of William's relationship with the Spencers.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:26 PM
Gentry

As to the Spencers' relashionship with William and Harry, it always reminds me a remarkable citation of Leo Tolstoi in Anna Karenina: "Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way." I think the Spencers and Wills & Harry have a relationship in its own way, not so close, but I feel there's a kind of loyalty or family love that sometimes bring them together, despite of the destiny which has torn them apart.

I hope the Spencer girls could have some role in W&K wedding, they are so beautiful!!
Lady Kitty Spencer and Lady Amelia Spencer videos in youtube:

Old 04-01-2011, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Princess Diana's niece was today told criminal charges against her had been dropped after she was accused of drunkenly assaulting a man on crutches.
Lady Amelia Spencer, 18, was charged last year with assault after a man claimed she had flicked a cigarette at him before kicking him during a row outside a McDonald's restaurant.
But during a short hearing in Cape Town, South Africa, she was told prosecutors had agreed to drop the case after deciding there was insufficient evidence against her.

Read more: Princess Diana's niece escapes punishment after court drops charges of assault | Mail Online

-------------

On another shallow note, Victoria is looking rather healthy! Good for her...despite the circumstances.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:05 PM
Gentry

Lady Amelia Spencer's acuser, Ricci Cinti is a contumacious riotous abuser and drunken of the streets of Capetown, and his point of actuation is that MacDonalds drive, :
MSN Zalebs
I don't understand why this torture on a 18 yrs old girl, those pics in court, all british tabloids publishing it with sensationalism... No doubt she was being judged for being a Spencer, niece and first cousin of the princes of England, but now she was cleared:
Diana's niece cleared of assault - World news, News - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk
Old 04-03-2011, 01:29 PM
Nobility

I know there are various opinions of what the relationship is between William, Harry and their Spencer family. We just don't' know and perhaps all members involved choose to keep it private and that is their privilege. I don't know what the relationship is like between Charles Spencer and his ex wife Caroline and perhaps she wouldn't have allowed it, but I think it is a bit interesting that neither of his youngest children are in the wedding party. William and Kate have Camilla's granddaughter in the party but not William's young "blood family" cousins? This wedding will be interesting.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:47 PM
Gentry

Yeah, I've seen Lady Lara Spencer (5 yrs old) and Lord Edmund Spencer (8 yrs old) also were invited. (invitations posted in twitter).
Old 04-12-2011, 06:08 AM
Royal Highness

Princess Diana's wedding earrings are to be worn by her sister for Prince William's big day | News
Old 04-25-2011, 10:07 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I have read that William was very unhappy about that eulogy, and considered it a direct attack on his father (to whom he is said to be exceptionally close).

As far as we know, William's Spencer cousins have no role in the wedding whatsoever. However, as the various wedding events occur, we may be able to get a better idea of William's relationship with the Spencers.
Well we now have the seating arrangement in Westminster Abby. The Spencers got a snub in my opinion, because they are sitting on the bride's side. All royal houses attending are on the groom's side after the royal family.

I guess we now know the relationship between Prince William and the Spencers.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
Well we now have the seating arrangement in Westminster Abby. The Spencers got a snub in my opinion, because they are sitting on the bride's side. All royal houses attending are on the groom's side after the royal family.

I guess we now know the relationship between Prince William and the Spencers.

I think so too; I expected the Spencers to be seated behind the RF. The fact that they're not suggests they have deliberately been placed as far from the RF as they can reasonably be expected to get.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:55 AM
Nobility

Quote:
I think so too; I expected the Spencers to be seated behind the RF. The fact that they're not suggests they have deliberately been placed as far from the RF as they can reasonably be expected to get.
I didn't see it as a snub. I think William is honoring them by putting them in the first row but delicately maintaining the peace by separating them from the RF. Imo, it's a nice compromise.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:19 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcharlie View Post
I didn't see it as a snub. I think William is honoring them by putting them in the first row but delicately maintaining the peace by separating them from the RF. Imo, it's a nice compromise.
By royal standards I think it is a snub. I think all aristocrats are on the groom's side. Maybe your right about maintaining the peace. I don't think the Middleton's have a large family. All of Catherine's grandparents are died. Maybe the Spencers fill that space. Only a reply from BP will we know for sure.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:23 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea

By royal standards I think it is a snub. I think all aristocrats are on the groom's side.
It split Royals/NonRoyals NOT bride and groom like a regular wedding- the Spencers have not been snubbed they just aren't royals....
Old 04-25-2011, 06:03 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
It split Royals/NonRoyals NOT bride and groom like a regular wedding- the Spencers have not been snubbed they just aren't royals....
They might not be royals but they are aristocrats and from the grooms side. I feel like Diana, Princess of Wales is being shun in death like after her divorce.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
I feel like Diana, Princess of Wales is being shun in death like after her divorce.
In my humble opinion - and it is just my opinion though - I don't think that Diana Princess of Wales is being shunned in any way.

To me, the very fact that Prince William gave his late mother's ring to Catherine, stating that he wanted his mother to be part of his wedding is proof that Diana, Princess of Wales is not being shunned. I am also sure that there will be various touching references to the late Princess at the wedding. The appearance of Diana's earings is one possibility that has been mentioned; there might also be the use of one of Diana's tiaras...perhaps even a sprig of some flowers from Althorp in her bouquet.

In am also sure that in his Best Man's Speech, Harry may well allude to his late mother. I don't think there is any possibility whatsoever that Diana, Princess of Wales will not be mentioned at the Wedding.

The fact that Earl Spencer's placement does not seem particularly prominent does not necessary mean [in my view] that the memory of his sister Diana is being shunned at the wedding. I come to this view on the following basis:

Perhaps the clearest indication is that we are continually being told by Buckingham Palace that all decisions about the wedding are being made by Prince William and Catherine - in other words, that they have a very hands-on role in the organisation, and the RF is not just riding roughshod over their wishes. I am therefore sure that Earl Spencer's placement is entirely satisfactory to Prince William - in other words, Earl Spencer has been seated where Prince William wants him.

In my own view, I am also not entirely sure how close Prince William actually is to his Uncle. Obviously none of us is privy to precisely what goes on 'behind the scenes', but from what I have seen [or rather not seen] reported, there has been very little contact between the adult Prince William and his Uncle. For example, there has been no recorded visit at Althorp by the Prince in order to 'show his fiance' off to his Uncle. I also cannot think offhand of any recent visits to his Uncle by Prince William as an adult - for example to stay at Althorp, to shoot at Althorp etc.

My own interpretation - and I stress it is my own view - is that Prince William was probably not terribly happy in retrospect with Earl Spencer's speech at Diana's funeral. Whilst I have seen constant references to 'how marvellous the speech was', could I say here in my own humble view, that I was not entirely happy with what was being said by Charles Spencer. It was after all, a funeral, and it is just my own personal view that sometimes it is more dignified to leave out acrimonious comments, however heartfelt or even justified they seem to be. The gist of Earl Spencer's remarks could have been taken as being deeply insulting to the Prince of Wales - and the two Princes have always had a warm and loving relationship with their father, which to me suggests that the two Princes did not find the Prince of Wales the ogre that Earl Spencer appeared to me to be depicting.

There is another reason to me whilst Earl Spencer's funeral speech seemed to be inappropriate.... and it is this - at the end of the day, Earl Spencer's private life seemed to be no better than that of the Prince of Wales who he was apparently criticising: Later we learned about the allegations of the cruel treatment by Earl Spencer of his wife Victoria Lockwood; we also learned about Earl Spencer's own infidelities when Sally Anne Lasson revealed to the tabloids about Earl Spencer's adulterous relationship with her. In other words, Earl Spencer seemed to have been somewhat hypocritical, and I daresay that this will not have been lost on Prince William in hindsight.

In my humble opinion, these various things do indicate to me that the relationship between Prince William and Earl Spencer is not particularly warm...

Just my thoughts.

Alex

Tags
althorp, diana, diana princess of wales, diana's family, diana: a celebration, earl spencer, museum, princess diana