The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Administrator

I wouldn't put too much stock in that book...or maybe the book was written prior to Kate meeting the Spencer's.

Kate and William attended the wedding of Laura Fellowes...I would imagine that she has met a Spencer or two.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

True, she must have.
However, I was really referring to Earl Spencer and his offspring.
Robert Fellowes has moved in royal circles since long before William was born and has his own connections ( I think of Laura as a Fellowes rather than a Spencer).

Old 03-05-2011, 10:27 AM
Royal Highness

The statement about Sir Robert Fellows connections are true. But I still think of Laura Fellow's as part Spencer through her mother, Jane. Mrs. Jane Fellow's remaining siblings would probably attend this wedding and would finally met Catherine.

I think this is true because if Earl Spencer is going to speak at the royal wedding Prince William must have some contact with the Earl. I had a lot of Anderson's books on royals. He is a good writer. I got rid of them because the substance was not always there.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Administrator

I would agree Georgia about Laura Fellowes....both a Fellowes and a Spencer. Imagine your mother's family not counting for a familial connection.

I recall seeing a picture of the Earl's children (Eliza, Amelia and/or Kitty) with Harry after the Diana memorial. For good measure George McC. (Sarah's son) was thrown in the pic.

Considering that the Earl's oldest children spent most of their childhood in South Africa...I wouldn't say that they are close to Harry and Will...but they definitely have somewhat of a relationship.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

I will be amazed if Earl Spencer speaks at the wedding!
For one thing, no one other than the Officiant generally speaks, so why would Earl Spencer?

For another, I have read that William did not appreciate that eulogy at his mother's funeral, so I don't see him approaching the Earl for another speech!
Old 03-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

Zonk wasn't there a picture and article of Harry and one of Charles Spencer's girls at a club maybe a year ago I think?
Old 03-05-2011, 12:16 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234

Zonk wasn't there a picture and article of Harry and one of Charles Spencer's girls at a club maybe a year ago I think?
In the article about Lady Amelia going to court there is a picture of her, her sister and Harry at a service for Diana ....so they at least say each other once and awhile....
Old 03-05-2011, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Yes...there was a Spencer girl with Harry at the club, and Mrs J is referencing the picture that I was also thinking of.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:01 PM
Heir Apparent

I remember that report, because at least one paper wondered who the mystery blonde was. Of course, we knew that it was his cousin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
Old 03-09-2011, 08:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

But have there been any photos of William with Earl Spencer and/or his children?
I haven't seen any, and it causes me to wonder whether it's true that William really does not care too much for his uncle.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:53 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel
But have there been any photos of William with Earl Spencer and/or his children?
I haven't seen any, and it causes me to wonder whether it's true that William really does not care too much for his uncle.
It's possible he likes him as family but not as an individual, from what I've seen of the Earl he calls a lot of attention/scandel to himself and he really 'uses' (for lack of a better word) Diana's legacy to cash in, so maybe William wants to distance from that a bit....or maybe not but that's my guess
Old 03-09-2011, 10:55 AM
Administrator

We also don't see pictures of William with Jane's family but that doesn't mean they are or are not close.

Since William and Harry (as well as the Earl) are not living in a Big Brother room, we really don't know what they do 24/7 or what relationship they do (or do not) have with the Earl and his children.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:23 PM
Heir Apparent

I had to laugh at the idea of a Royal Big Brother House. Thanks, Zonk; you gave me my first chuckle of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Since William and Harry (as well as the Earl) are not living in a Big Brother room, we really don't know what they do 24/7 or what relationship they do (or do not) have with the Earl and his children.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

An article regarding the newest bride of the Earl.

Hush-Hush Royal Engagement for Charles Spencer, Princess Diana's Brother - The Daily Beast
Old 03-14-2011, 06:10 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
The article portrays this couple using each other. Karen Gordon needs money to pay her taxes and Earl Spencer likes the Hollywood life.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think they're a good match. She's a vegan who willingly shoots animals, thus making her a hypocrite and he is is a pluperfect mental case. May they live long and prosper.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I will be amazed if Earl Spencer speaks at the wedding!
For one thing, no one other than the Officiant generally speaks, so why would Earl Spencer?

For another, I have read that William did not appreciate that eulogy at his mother's funeral, so I don't see him approaching the Earl for another speech!
Mirabel. I have been to MANY weddings where a family member does a reading, chosen by the bridal couple. I doubt he will be making a 'speech'. Though he might well offer a toast at the wedding reception.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Mirabel. I have been to MANY weddings where a family member does a reading, chosen by the bridal couple. I doubt he will be making a 'speech'. Though he might well offer a toast at the wedding reception.

I don't recall any readings at any other royal weddings.
Perhaps my memory is faulty, but I can't think of any in the past.

Besides, I have heard that William (and Charles) do not have a warm relatinship with Earl Spencer.
I'm sure he'll be invited, but I expect he'll sit there quietly and keep his mouth shut. JMO.

I think it significant that none of William's Spencer cousins are included as attendants in his wedding.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:19 PM
Nobility

This man has always rubbed me the wrong way and I don't know why.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:26 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christo's Girl View Post
This man has always rubbed me the wrong way and I don't know why.
He keeps getting married and divorced?

Tags
althorp, diana, diana princess of wales, diana's family, diana: a celebration, earl spencer, museum, princess diana