The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-30-2009, 04:25 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I would absolutely agree, TheTruth. Relying on Al Fayed's flunkies wasn't in her best interest.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:07 PM
Royal Highness

Earl Spencer was on The Today Show, the website of which is at www.today.msnbc.msn.com. Go down to the middle of the page, which says "More from Today" and click on Travelling exhibit honors Princess Diana.

There's video and Matt Lauer interviewed the Earl briefly. They did discuss Diana's "legacy". The Earl has taken some of the objets from his museum and is trotting them around America. Among them the beautiful black, cleavage-baring dress she wore on her last birthday; a pedal car from their childhood; her pink ballet slippers. He also brought some family films which I have never seen, including footage of the family leaving Diana's christening and some charming film of Frances rolling around on the ground in slacks and playing with her children,including dumping one daughter on her head (not sure who that was!).

The National Constitution Center (don't know which city this is located in) will host the international traveling exhibition, Diana: A Celebration from October 2 through December 31, 2009.

I am always struck by Matt and Meredith's informality when dealing with the Royal Family and aristocrats. Maybe NBC people think they have an "in" with the Earl since they were his former employers.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:11 PM
Courtier

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/around-town/events/Diana-Exhibit-Comes-to-Philly-62639467.html Oh Iam so excited getting my tickets for Oct 12th....
Old 10-05-2009, 09:00 PM
Courtier

I saw the exhibit this evening. Very interesting, although I must admit that I was greatly disappointed in her wedding dress -- just alot of fabric. My apologies to those who disagree -- but, it definitely lacked the artistry of Grace Kelly's wedding dress. Her early evening wear was rather "frumpy" ... her later evening wear was spectacular! Her wedding dress is displayed with the wedding tiara and earrings. There are other fabulous pieces of jewelry from the Spencer family. It's definitey worth seeing. The final room in the exhibit plays a real from her funeral to the music of Elton John signing "Candle in the Wind" ... not a dry eye in the room.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:17 AM
Nobility

It's interesting about the family films you had never seen,Iowabelle. Do you think these have been seen publicly before or not? Perhaps not, as Earl Spencer did have quite a bit of films and photos of his children, however, it seems everything associated with Diana has been seen publicly at one time or the other.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:56 PM
Royal Highness

I think, although Spencer didn't say so, that these films had been shown at his stable block museum ... and possibly in Japan and at other U.S. exhibitions.

I have a pretty good memory for Diana images so I'm pretty confident I haven't seen them on TV or in books before. The only Diana exhibit I've been to was the traveling dresses.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

The footage was played at the end of the concert. Well on the dvd of the concert.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:21 PM
Serene Highness

I just went to "Diana: A Celebration" at the Constitution Center in Philadelphia. Nice overall, but somewhat lacking (I didn't learn anything new), especially for the steep admission ($23). It only seemed like a big exhibition because the line was moving slowly and it took almost an hour to go through the whole thing.

They didn't have any of Diana's most famous evening dresses on display (like the John Travolta one, the Elvis one, the white beaded Dior w/ the bolero), and I would have liked to have learned more about the Spencer women, especially her grandmother, Cynthia. But I guess that's why the Earl's book "The Spencers" is for sale at the end of the tour for a nice $53 .

Question: The wedding dress that travels with the exhibit, is that a replica? I remember reading that the replica is traveling and the original is kept somewhere safe from all that harsh lighting. Also, the lace on the dress didn't look very antique. I would have to say the dress on display looked better than it did on Diana on her wedding day. The one on display was not as wrinkled (didn't have to ride in a carriage) and the mannequin filled it out (Diana lost a lot of weight after her last fitting, so the dress ended up being big).
Old 10-12-2009, 02:55 PM
Courtier

I have just returned from the Diana Exhibit in Philly, there were pros and cons to this exhibit. I thought there would be more personal jewls of Diana's and well just more. The portion that I found well done was that it was about Diana not Willaim not Harry not Charles but her life they way it should have been done. The other thing I found off was that the Earl Spencer was had a gift shope were you can buy Diana nic nacks for very high prices and that he was selling his books there for 54.oo dollars a peice. You may buy them at Barns and Nobles for 20 lol.....
Old 10-13-2009, 12:09 AM
Courtier

Does anyone know, are the profits from this show going to charity?
Old 10-13-2009, 04:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

Probably the Charles Spencer charity.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:43 AM
Courtier

As to the jewellery I think that Diana mainly wore jewels lent to her by the Queen and the Queen mother. The Spencer tiara would go back to the Spencer family, and then her engagement ring was inherited by William I think.
I read somewhere that the beautiful pearls she was wearing in one of her last official photographs were borrowed, with the understanding that she could later on buy them if she wanted to, so it doesn´t surprise me there were few jewels on show.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:09 PM
Royal Highness

Was the wedding tiara on display? Nobody's said. All I know is that awkward hybrid tiara was going to be there.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:45 PM
Serene Highness

The Spencer tiara was displayed with the veil and wedding dress. However, I'm not sure whether it's a replica and it's high on the mannequin's head, so you can't see it close up. But it does look authentic (i.e. made of diamonds and not of rhinestone) and if it is a replica, it is a very accurate.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Oh how I wish I could see this exhibit while it is in the United States- but would really like to go to Antwerp sometime and see the estate there. Those of you who have see it are so lucky!
Old 10-13-2009, 10:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Do you mean Althorp? Althorp is her family's estate, and there's a display there that's open during the summer months.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:06 AM
Aristocracy

Exclamation Diana: A Celebration Comes to Philidelphia, PA USA

The National Constitution Center in Philidelphia, PA USA will have nine galleries dedicated to the life and celebration of Diana, Princess of Wales. The galleries will include the life and legacy of Diana starting from her young childhood, to her engagement with HRH Prince Charles, to her marriage, to her charity work, etc. The galleries will be open from Oct 2nd - Dec 31st 2009. Apparently some of her personal artifacts will be included, like dresses, etc.
Here is the link...
National Constitution Center - Diana: A Celebration
Old 10-24-2009, 07:23 PM
Courtier

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/diana/6424991/Diana-Princess-of-Waless-niece-Lady-Kitty-Spencer-comes-out-in-Paris.html
Old 10-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post
The Spencer tiara was displayed with the veil and wedding dress. However, I'm not sure whether it's a replica and it's high on the mannequin's head, so you can't see it close up. But it does look authentic (i.e. made of diamonds and not of rhinestone) and if it is a replica, it is a very accurate.
Oh, I believe it was a replica.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

Are there any photos one might post of this tiara on the display? I'd love to see it- thanks in advance!

Tags
althorp, diana, diana princess of wales, diana's family, diana: a celebration, earl spencer, museum, princess diana