The Spencer Family, Ancestry and Althorp 1: Ending Aug. 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have tried to use the Genealogics Royal genealogy calculator to trace different relationships; very often, it is unreliable because the calculations either never show up or they take 5-10 minutes to load.
With that in mind, I have some genealogy questions.
1) Is Diana related to Martha Washington, through her marriage to Daniel Parke-Custis?

No, but she was related to George Washington. Sulgrave Manor, the ancestral home of the Washingtons, isn't far from Althorp and both the Spencers and the Washingtons descended from Robert Kitson, who lived in the late 15th/early 16th centuries.

As well as Robert E. Lee? (This is regarding her Southern US side)

Diana's American ancestors weren't related to Robert E. Lee. But as with George Washington they are distantly related through common English ancestors.

The Queen is more closely related to both Washington and Lee, through the Queen Mother whose ancestor Mary (Warner) Smith of Virginia was the sister of Mildred (Warner) Washington (George's grandmother) and the niece of Sarah (Warner) Townley (3x great-grandmother of Robert E. Lee). This relationship was noted by the American press when the Queen Mother became Queen Consort in 1936.

I also want to know if Diana is related to the following people or royal houses:
2) Lucrezia Borgia (there are websites which say she is, but I’ve done extensive research to try to find an ancestry chart that ties these two women together—I found only one chart, although it was very complicated and numbered. Yet, it still did not give me an exact answer—the descendant in question never has a number in the chart; plus, the line is ascending in order—I always believe, because Diana was an aristocrat, that she could have multiple ancestry lines/ties to all of the Catholic royals of now and yesteryear). The chart also showed Lucrezia is related to D through a brother she had. But, is she related to D through Ercole d’Este (her son)?

Lucrezia Borgia was related to Diana but only by marriage. Her second husband Alfonso d'Aragona Duke of Bisceglia and her third husband Alfonso d'Este Duke of Ferrara were both first cousins of Diana's ancestor Charlotte of Naples wife of Guy Count of Laval.

3) Mary Kittamaquund, the Native American married to Giles Brent? Or any of her children?

Giles Brent was a descendant of Edward III, so yes Diana was distantly related to him. But the Queen is more closely related through Giles's great-grandfather Sir Fulke Greville who was also an ancestor of the Queen Mother.

4) This is an extensive question that may seem complicated. I read that Italian royal pretenders (specifically, the Dukes of Mantua—through Margaret Paleologa who married a Gonzaga) may have Byzantine descent; as well as the Russian royals (through Catherine The Great, although I could be wrong). Is Margaret related to D?

Yes, Margaret was a first cousin (on her mother's side) of Francoise d'Alencon wife of Charles de Bourbon, Duke of Vendome, and grandmother of King Henry IV of France. Henry's daughter Henrietta Maria married King Charles I and was the mother of Diana's ancestors Charles II and James II.

Margaret is also related more distantly to Queen Elizabeth. All the European royal families descend from the Byzantine Emperors. For example, Queen Philippa wife of Edward III was the 4x great-granddaughter of Theodore I Komnenos Laskaris, Emperor in Nicaea from 1204-1222.

As well as Constantin XI, the last Byzantine emperor to D too? Although, I believe either Margaret or Constantin could be related to the Romanovs, which in turn could mean they are related to D or Prince Philip (off the strength of his Byzantine and Russian ancestry). But I don’t know if any of this is true.

Yes, all of Europe's royal families including Diana are distantly related to Constantine XI, the last Byzantine Emperor. The Byzantine royal family intermarried with other European royal families.

5) Is Diana related to any of the heads and/or pretenders of the Duchy of Anhalt/Ascania? I know that the Queen is not related to the Anhalt side at all.

The Queen descends from the Anhalts many times over. For example, her ancestor Augusta of Saxe-Gotha (wife of Frederick Prince of Wales, and mother of George III), was the daughter of Magdalene of Anhalt-Zerbst and the granddaughter of Karl Wilhelm Prince of Anhalt-Zerbst. The Queen is also a descendant of the Anhalt-Dessau line. Prince Philip is a descendant of Empress Catherine the Great of Russia, who was born Sophie of Anhalt-Zerbst.

Diana is also a descendant of the Anhalts but much further back.

6) Is Diana related to the famous Rothschild family?

Some of the Rothschilds have married into other European noble/aristocratic families so she's probably related to some by marriage. For example, Hannah de Rothschild (1851-1890) married Archibald Primrose 9th Earl of Rosebery (1847-1929) who was distantly related to Diana through their common ancestor Archibald Campbell 9th Earl of Argyll (1629-1685). Lord Rosebery was more closely related to the Queen Mother through their common ancestor Abel Smith (c1717-1788).

7) This is more of a general question: How has it been proven that D is related to every single European royal house that the Queen is not?

Well, since the Queen is in fact related to every single European royal house, the question is moot. But in some cases Diana was more closely related than the Queen, or a direct descendant of royals who are only related to the Queen as cousins. For example, Diana was a direct descendant of Charles I, Charles II, James II, Henry IV of France, Federigo IV of Naples, and the Medicis.

As well as D being related to most of the British peers/lords/aristocracy?

Yes, her family tree literally groans with British dukes, earls, marquesses, and barons. For example, her great-grandparents include the 6th Earl Spencer, the daughter of the 1st Baron Revelstoke, the 3rd Duke of Abercorn, the daughter of the 4th Earl of Lucan, and the 3rd Baron Fermoy.

While the Queen Mother was also the daughter of an earl, the majority of her ancestors belonged to the untitled landed gentry.

8) Because the Queen is related to mostly non-practicing Catholic royals herself, are there many royals Diana is related to that the Queen isn’t? Catholic or any other religion?

As I stated earlier, the Queen is related to every other European royal family. She is of course more closely related to the Protestant royal families but she is also related to the Orthodox and Roman Catholic royal families. But in some cases Diana was more closely related.

9) This is my last question: Is Diana related to Stephanie Beauharnais (who was adopted by Napoleon I) and/or Stéphanie’s “rival”, Josephine Tascher-Pagerie? I know Josephine was from Martinique; this fact is especially important because, as a black man, it would be a very unique fact that Diana could possibly have African or Caribbean bloodlines. And especially because I am Bermudian-American and love British royal genealogy. This also goes hand in hand with the fact that Diana (I personally feel) was slightly “Bajan” (as far as having Barbados ancestry).

No, Diana wasn't related to Stephanie de Beauharnais. One of Josephine's great-grandfathers, Anthony Brown, was English, apparently, but his exact origins aren't known (despite what some genealogy sites claim). But if it turns out he was born into an aristocratic family, he probably was related in some way to Diana (and perhaps to the Queen Mother too).

Diana did have ancestors who lived in Barbados and Jamaica but they were wealthy plantation owners originally from England with no African or native bloodlines.

Last edited:
@Gawin
I tried to quote your reply within mine and answer accordingly, but I got a message saying my reply was over the 10k character limit.
I had to post my response as just my replies to the initial questions and your answers, individually.

My reply:
About question 1: Martha Custis-Washington had English ancestry from both of her parents. I wonder if that makes a difference? I remember hearing that chances are, any British person who has ever lived could easily be a direct descendant of the British Royal Family (except for the Anglo-Saxon era around the 8th century, when the concept of royalty had a different meaning). Martha’s father emigrated to Virginia from England. Although, Martha’s mother was English-American.

2) Is there a more direct relationship The Queen Mother has, in relation to REL? I personally don’t consider someone who is a niece or cousin of an ancestor of someone else, as a “close” relationship. Although, it helps to know that there is at least factual evidence.

3) Is there a closer and more direct relation through Lucrezia’s son, Ercole d’Este? Plus, the Borgias are related to the Medicis. However, Diana is a direct descendant of Caterina Sforza. I believe Lucrezia and Caterina are somewhat related (and I don’t count Lucrezia marrying a Sforza for a short time as a relation, since it was a childless marriage). I believe I found a common relation between Lucrezia and Caterina by tracing the connection myself—it’s either through either an Italian royal house or a French one. I forgot the name of their common ancestor as well. If there is a possibly direct relationship between Lucrezia and Caterina; simply on the fact that the Borgias are related to the Medicis, that would make Caterina a link to both—her later descendants became Medici family members (through her grandson or great-grandson possibly?). Which, in turn, means Henrietta María became Queen of England, and is related to Diana—the question I had about Caterina’s line, later was, I had found two similar Medici women. Marie Medici, as well as a Maria Medici. I know Marie is a Medici/Sforza (she’s a great-granddaughter of Caterina, I believe—and I actually found that via Google searching), but is MARIA (with an A, not an E at the end) related to Caterina somehow; or Lucrezia?
Plus, is Diana possibly a direct descendant of the Borgias, Medici’s AND Sforzas? I know the Borgias and Medici’s are related, but I haven’t found the ancestral lines between them. Also, is it possible that Diana is related to Lucrezia in one of these three ways: 1) Through the later Aragonese Borja’s; 2) I believe a distant (but direct) descendant of the Borgias married into the Habsburg line; 3) Its interesting you said D isn’t related to Stephanie de Beauharnais—yet Stéphanie has descendants in royal houses in Romania, Monaco, Yugoslavia, Bulgaria + Luxembourg, so could she be related to any of those royal houses/and thus, Stéphanie, through her descendants but not directly? I know Stephanie was the mother-in-law of the 11th Duke of Hamilton, who had issue with S’ daughter, Marie Amelie; and 4) Possibly through Josephine Tascher? J’s daughter became Queen Consort of Sweden; other descendants are Baden’s, Leuchtenberg’s and Hohenzollerns, as well as members of Danish, Luxembourg, Norwegian, Greek, and Belgian royalty—so would you be able to see if D or The Queen has direct ties to any Beauharnais descendants who double as members of other royal houses or kingdoms?

4) Is The Queen Mother’s direct line of descent tied from Fulke to Giles and onward? If so, that leads me to my next question: I read that 2 later descendants of Giles Brent married 2 of Charles Caroll’s sisters (Caroll was one of many people who signed the Declaration of Independence). How closely is Diana related to Charles Caroll (or his direct descendants)? Somewhere in the article about Mary K. and Giles that I was reading, the Calvert family (I wonder if it’s the same family of Calvert’s who signed the charters of my state—New Jersey—and Maryland; but I’m not sure) kept being mentioned. Is there a relation between Diana or The Queen that ties them to the colonial Calvert family?

5) You just answered a later question I had asked. I had written that the relation between Constantin could either be through Margaret P., who (on the contrary) could have a second closer relationship with the BRF through Catherine the Great; I read that Catherine has Byzantine lineage (but I don’t know what person made her Russian and Byzantine blood intertwine together); as a result, you had answered my question and said Philip is related to Catherine—but that may also mean Catherine is related to Diana. Are Byzantine Constantin, as well as Catherine, both related to Diana specifically? If so, what is the line of descent? However, are Margaret P., and Constantin related directly?

6) What is Catherine (Sophie’s) Anhalt line? I never knew she was from the Anhalt line.
7) Is TQM’s relation to The Earl Rosebery a direct one? Or is it an “extended” relation (cousin, niece, in-law, by marriage)?

8) It’s interesting you mentioned the close relationships Diana has, that QEII doesn’t. Although, I don’t know of any BRF member (specifically in the earlier centuries) who married a Catholic female or male royal, that in turn left descendants from the marriage to that Catholic female or male (better yet, descendants who, in turn, survived to adulthood and had issue of their own). Are there any exceptions to this case?

9) Is Diana related to every single British Prime Minister? I already know she’s related to Robert Walpole and one other PM, and that David Lloyd-George’s male descendant (with the last name Snow) married a cousin of The Queen. Also, is she, or The Queen, related to any of the Governor Generals, past or present, from any of the Commonwealth realms (including any from the former realms)? Alternatively, does Diana or The Queen have Bermudian ancestry? Or any of their ancestors? What was extremely interesting is that I’ve never heard of Diana having any sort of Jamaican ancestry line; what is the Jamaican line? Does she have other Caribbean bloodlines from other Caribbean (Commonwealth or not) countries besides Barbados and Jamaica?

10) Did every Bajan or Jamaican plantation owner Diana is related to, possibly have African or Caribbean blood through other direct descendants of the plantation owners (from farther back in some of their earlier ancestors’ lines)? What were the ancestors that were looked into on the Jamaican or Bajan side of D?

11) I found out that Lucrezia Borgia—or Caterina Sforza—is related to the husband of the Austrian Archduchess, Maria Theresia, by marriage; is Diana related to Maria T directly?

Once again, I’m sorry for asking even MORE questions than before!

4) It was Empress Josephine's granddaughter, Princess Josefina of Leuchtenberg who became Queen of Sweden and Norway not her daughter. None of her descendants are closer in relation to Queen Elizabeth than being distant cousins such as King Harald of Norway, Queen Margrethe of Denmark, King Carl Gustav of Sweden, King Philipe of Belgium. Also worth mentioning is the members of the House of Baden descended from Prince Philip's sister Theodora.

8) In order to be able to have a Protestant heir to Queen Anne the parliament bypassed over 50 Catholic descendants of the Stuart kings. The Jacobite claimant today is a member of the House of Wittelsbach and within the foreseeable future the claim will lie with the then reigning Prince of Liechtenstein. Practically every major Catholic Royal in Europe today, including the Count of Paris and the King of Spain, are Stuart descendants mainly from the marriage of Henrietta Stuart to the Duke of Orleans and in the case of the King of Spain also through Ena of Battenberg, granddaughter of Queen Victoria, who married King Alfonso XIII.

Last edited:
Because all the European royal families are related in some way, although sometimes very distantly, the Queen, Prince Philip, and Diana are related to Empress Josephine's royal descendants (but not Josephine herself). These are the closest connections I can think of:

(1) Josephine's son Eugene married Princess Auguste of Bavaria. Her first cousins Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz (wife of the Duke of Saxe-Hildburghausen) and Louise of Mecklenburg-Strelitz (Queen of Prussia) were Philip's direct ancestors.

(2) Eugene and Auguste's son Maximilien Duke of Leuchtenberg married Grand Duchess Maria of Russia whose brother Grand Duke Constantine was Philip's great-grandfather.

(3) Maximilien and Maria's grandson Prince Maximilian of Baden married Princess Marie Louise of Hanover, a niece of Queen Alexandra (Queen Elizabeth's great-grandmother) and King George I of the Hellenes (Prince Philip's grandfather).

(4) Maximilian and Marie Louise's son Berthold of Baden married Princess Theodora of Greece, Prince Philip's sister.

BTW - I'll answer your other questions later.

4) It was Empress Josephine's granddaughter, Princess Josefina of Leuchtenberg who became Queen of Sweden and Norway not her daughter. None of her descendants are closer in relation to Queen Elizabeth than being distant cousins such as King Harald of Norway, Queen Margrethe of Denmark, King Carl Gustav of Sweden, King Philipe of Belgium. Also worth mentioning is the members of the House of Baden descended from Prince Philip's sister Theodora.

8) In order to be able to have a Protestant heir to Queen Anne the parliament bypassed over 50 Catholic descendants of the Stuart kings. The Jacobite claimant today is a member of the House of Wittelsbach and within the foreseeable future the claim will lie with the then reigning Prince of Liechtenstein. Practically every major Catholic Royal in Europe today, including the Count of Paris and the King of Spain, are Stuart descendants mainly from the marriage of Henrietta Stuart to the Duke of Orleans and in the case of the King of Spain also through Ena of Battenberg, granddaughter of Queen Victoria, who married King Alfonso XIII.
About question 4: What a shame that there were descendants AROUND Philip and QEII, but none directly tied to them. Are any of Josephine’s descendants directly tied to Diana?
About question 8: I already knew about the succession crisis surrounding Queen Anne’s death. That’s how we got the present line of the Royal Family. I believe times are much different now, regarding the Catholic concerns—Catholics CAN now marry into the BRF (I read that it says so in the Succession Act 2013; is this true?). The only problem is, I read, that it will be frowned upon; although it is definitely allowed now. I find it fascinating that 1,200 years of history could have turned out much differently if Catholic people in the days of old were respected and treated as regular human beings. Perhaps there wouldn’t have been religious persecution at all, if they kept that in mind thousands of years ago? Look at the Four Crusades especially, as well as The Glorious Revolution of 1688. They’re the main two wars that come to mind, pertaining to the Catholicism concerns.

Alternatively, is the BRF directly related to Pierre (de Polignac) of Valentinois, who is Prince Rainier’s father? I’d love to see if there any ties, separately from Rainier—but simply through Pierre’s side.

I also had an additional theory: Is Princess Michael of Kent related to royals that are not directly tied to QE and Diana themselves? I wish there was a person in the BRF who could “seal” the missing genealogical ties (in the case of having the distinction of adding even more unique ancestral lines that were not present in the BRF beforehand; I should have explained this better). But I hope this mystery person could be tied to either William or Harry, as its extremely obvious that QE, Philip and Charles are all never going to have issue again. Hopefully Prince George can tie up loose ends perhaps? He is a very, very unique case (in my opinion), because QE, Philip, Diana, Wills and Catherine EACH have an impressive ancestral line, as individuals! It gives me such joy and happiness to know that a future king of the UK is a Spencer, Windsor, Romanov, AND Middleton/Lupton, all in one? I just have a strong wish that he will survive long enough to marry someone and have a male heir, but another child as well—as well as live comfortably (I say that because being a royal is probably the world’s most stressful and time consuming job). It’s stressful when you have millions of your subjects’ lives in your hands; one wrong move and the individual monarch could suffer extreme consequences!

Last edited:
I did read the replies.
I have a book that says the BRF is directly related to the Polignac side of royalty.
But, they didn’t give an actual chart.
The book is “Ancestry of The Royal Child”.
Direct descendants are in bold, and the Polignacs are listed in bold under the France section of the book.

I another child as well—as well as live comfortably (I say that because being a royal is probably the world’s most stressful and time consuming job). It’s stressful when you have millions of your subjects’ lives in your hands; one wrong move and the individual monarch could suffer extreme consequences!

How is being a constitutional monarch such a major job? the Monarch has no power and little influence... they don't "have their subjects lives in their hands" at all.....

I meant in terms of public image.
What did you think of my other questions?

How is being a constitutional monarch such a major job? the Monarch has no power and little influence... they don't "have their subjects lives in their hands" at all.....
Aged 92, Queen Elizabeth II has only two days completely off a year, Christmas day and Easter Sunday. If that's not a major job I don't know what is?
Even if a monarch has no formal power they still have to be in regular contact with the Government and Parliament and all other parts of society to keep themselves informed with what's going on in their country and the world. Most monarchs, The King of Sweden excluded, sign laws and approve new governments while, if I've understood it correctly from posts made here on the forums, The King of The Netherlands is even part of the government.

I did read the replies.
I have a book that says the BRF is directly related to the Polignac side of royalty.
But, they didn’t give an actual chart.
The book is “Ancestry of The Royal Child”.
Direct descendants are in bold, and the Polignacs are listed in bold under the France section of the book.

If true, wouldn't that make HM close relatives of the Princely Family of Monaco...who are Grimaldi-Polignacs in direct line?

Interestingly, DoS Meghan has a connection to the Spencer and Bowes-Lyon family lines via her paternal ancestry. In addition, the Brudenell family is related to the Spencer and Seymour family lines. It was known when Harry was dating his former girlfriend, lingerie model and actress, Florence Brudenell-Bruce, that she's his cousin 8 times removed. So, as well, DoS Meghan and Harry's former girlfriend, Florence, are also related via Spencer-Seymour ancestry with the common ancestral line tracing all the way back to King Edward III.

Here's a link to the chart showing Harry's & Meghan's shared Spencer-Seymour & Bowes-Lyon ancestry. Florence Brudenell-Bruce's ancestor, George, 3rd Earl of Cardigan is listed on the chart in one of the Wentworth-Seymour lines:
https://www.americanancestors.org/Royal-Ancestry-of-Meghan-Markle.aspx
Click on the pdf download to access the chart

DoS Meghan and Florence Brudenell-Bruce (now married to wealthy financier Henry St. George), also bear a bit of facial resemblance:
https://vg-images.condecdn.net/image/a8oAXByj1PN/crop/1020/f/GettyImages-151839272_master.jpg
https://vg-images.condecdn.net/image/QAYxp1Va0be/crop/1020/f/fbrundellbruce6_v_5jul11_getty.jpg

Last edited:
Aged 92, Queen Elizabeth II has only two days completely off a year, Christmas day and Easter Sunday. If that's not a major job I don't know what is?
Even if a monarch has no formal power they still have to be in regular contact with the Government and Parliament and all other parts of society to keep themselves informed with what's going on in their country and the world. Most monarchs, The King of Sweden excluded, sign laws and approve new governments while, if I've understood it correctly from posts made here on the forums, The King of The Netherlands is even part of the government.

Its still not a job where the "fate fo millions" is in their hands.. they are just a small part of the government who have the responsibility for the "millions". THey do what the GOvt tell them which is mianly ceremonial duties.
The queen keeps in touch with what's going on, but she has plenty of time off....

The queen keeps in touch with what's going on, but she has plenty of time off....
:previous: And I am thankful that it is this way! She is an old lady and for her "service to the country" is not something she takes easy. So I am glad that she takes the time to do the things that she likes to do.

:previous: And I am thankful that it is this way! She is an old lady and for her "service to the country" is not something she takes easy. So I am glad that she takes the time to do the things that she likes to do.

Yes but she's not someone who has the "fate of millions in her hands" or who has to make big decisions on behalf of her people....

Not really "Spencer ancestry" those last posts :lol:

This is all that the book says (with direct descendants listed in bold font):
France section (page 71):
“HRH’s (William, DoCambridge) forebears include the great historian Geoffroy de Villehardouin. HRH’s most recent French ancestress was Hyacinthe Gabrielle Roland, Marchioness Wellesley. But indeed, the names of HRH’s earlier (direct) French ancestors read like a roll call of French chivalry: (the families of) Montmorentcy, Guise, La Rochefoucauld + Rouchechouart, Rohan, Polignac, Bauffremont, and La Tour d’Auvergne.

If true, wouldn't that make HM close relatives of the Princely Family of Monaco...who are Grimaldi-Polignacs in direct line?

I posted a verbatim excerpt from the book.
Direct descendants of Prince William are listed in bold font.
The only thing they didn’t do was list a full chart of William’s Polignac ancestry.
The chart only gives his Capetian, Valois, and Bourbon ancestry chart (all in one chart, with a reference to Table #7, which has Diana’s Stuart bloodline).

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Diana related to Champlain?
Champlain (I presume) is the man who was sent to Canada to (I guess) establish a settlement there in the 1600s.
One of the King Henry’s of France sent Champlain to Canada.

Is Diana related to Champlain?
Champlain (I presume) is the man who was sent to Canada to (I guess) establish a settlement there in the 1600s.
One of the King Henry’s of France sent Champlain to Canada.

Champlain founded Quebec city, but no he was not sent there as a settler. He got into sailing through his uncle Francois Du Pont who was a fur trader. Samuel was a cartographer and navigator who intended to travel further then Jacques Cartier who came before him. It was King Henry IV who his Uncle and he later worked for.

Samuel Champlain had no descendents, he and his wife never had children. His closest family, besides his wife when he died, was a maternal cousin who contested his will. If Diana is related to that cousin or any other distant family, not certain as they were not historically documented.

Interesting!
I know Diana and Camilla are related.
Is Diana related to any of Sarah or Camilla’s Canadian relatives, via one of Camilla or Sarah’s ancestors?

Interesting!
Is Diana related to any of Sarah or Camilla’s Canadian relatives, via one of Camilla or Sarah’s ancestors?

Yes Diana and Sarah were also related.

LaRae

Interesting!

They are related via the Dutch/British aristocratic family (Van) Keppel. Diana, Camilla and Sarah have Sophia Mary Countess Keppel née MacNab as shared Canadian ancestor. She is the daughter of Sir Allan Napier MacNab, Baronet, then Premier of the province of Canada.

Lady Diana Frances Spencer
=
Edward John Spencer, VIII Earl Spencer
x The Hon. Frances Ruth Burke Roche

Edward John Spencer, VIII Earl Spencer
=
Albert Edward John Spencer, VII Earl Spencer
x Lady Cynthia Ellinor Beatrix Hamilton

Lady Cynthia Ellinor Beatrix Hamilton
=
James Albert Edward Hamilton, III Duke of Abercorn
x Lady Rosalind Cecilia Caroline Bingham

James Albert Edward Hamilton, III Duke of Abercorn
=
James Hamilton, II Duke of Abercorn
x Lady Mary Anna Curzon-Howe

James Hamilton, II Duke of Abercorn
=
James Hamilton, I Duke of Abercorn
x Lady Louisa Jane Russell

Lady Louisa Jane Russell
=
John Russell, VI Duke of Bedford
x Lady Georgiana Gordon

John Russell, VI Duke of Bedford
=
Francis Russell, Marquess of Tavistock
x Lady Elizabeth Keppel

Lady Elizabeth Keppel
=
Willem Anne van Keppel, II Earl of Albemarle
x Lady Anne Lennox
=
George Keppel, III Earl of Albemarle

George Keppel, III Earl of Albemarle
x Anne Miller
= William Charles Keppel, IV Earl of Albemarle

William Charles Keppel, IV Earl of Albemarle
x The Hon. Elizabeth Southwell
=
George Thomas Keppel, VI Earl of Albemarle

George Thomas Keppel, VI Earl of Albemarle
x Susan Coutts Trotter
=
William Coutts Keppel, VII Earl of Albemarle

William Coutts Keppel, VII Earl of Albemarle
x Sophia Mary MacNab
=
The Hon. George Keppel

The Hon. George Keppel
x The Hon. Alicia Frederica Edmonstone
=
Sonia Rosemary Keppel

Sonia Rosemary Keppel
x Roland Calvert Cubitt, III Baron Ashcombe
=
The Hon. Rosalind Maud Cubitt

The Hon. Rosalind Maud Cubitt
x Bruce Middleton Hope Shand
= Camilla Rosemary Shand

Diana's Ancestry

Diana Spencer has some royalty in her. Some of her famous ancestors are Charles II and James II of England. One other is Elizabeth Woodville through her other children not by Edward IV.
to James II
1. James II
2. Henrietta FitzJames
3. James Waldegrave
4. James Waldegrave II
5. Anne Horatia Waldegrave
6. Horace Seymour
7. Adelaide Seymour
8. Charles Robert Spencer the 6th earl
9. Albert Spencer the 7th earl
10. Edward Spencer the 8th earl
11. Diana Frances Spencer
To Charles II
1. Charles II
2. Henry Fitzroy
3. Charles FitzRoy
4. Isabella Fitzroy
5. Hugh Seymour
6. Horace Seymour
7. Adelaide Seymour
From Charles II (yes for the 2nd time)
1. Charles II
2. Mrs. Sarsfield
3. Charlotte Vesey
4. Anne Bingham
5. Charles, 1st earl of Lucan
6. Lavinia Bingham
7. Frederick Spencer
there is another way through Charles Lennox, 1st Duke of Richmond
1. Charles II
2. Charles Lennox
3. Charles Lennox II
4. George Lennox
5. Charles III Lennox
6. Charles IV Lennox
7. Cecilia Gordon-Lennox
8. Rosalind Bingham
9. Cynthia Hamilton
10. John Spencer
11. Diana Spencer
The interesting fact is that they all go down to the eleventh generation!

Also, she is descended from the medieval Despenser family through her ancestor Isabella FitzRoy's maternal great-great-grandfather. (He was a Marquess of the Somerset family)

Last edited:
:previous:

Thanks for posting this but Mary Sarsfield wasn't the daughter of Charles II. He acknowledged her mother Lucy Walter's first child James (later Duke of Monmouth) as his but not Mary who was probably fathered by Lord Taaffe or Henry Bennet (later Earl of Arlington).

The Spencers have a lot of royal blood no doubt.

Mary Crofts father is in doubt, but what isn't in doubt, it wasn't Charles II. He had left for Scotland a year before. Its most likely Theobald Taafte who was known as Lucy's lover at the time. There is also a chance it was the Earl of Arlington. But Diana's descent from Charles II is not through her.

The claim that Diana's family is descended from the Dispensers had been debunked by numerous historians.

The Spencers have a lot of royal blood no doubt.

Mary Crofts father is in doubt, but what isn't in doubt, it wasn't Charles II. He had left for Scotland a year before. Its most likely Theobald Taafte who was known as Lucy's lover at the time. There is also a chance it was the Earl of Arlington. But Diana's descent from Charles II is not through her.

The claim that Diana's family is descended from the Dispensers had been debunked by numerous historians.

Diana was a descendant of the Despensers through Isabella FitzRoy's maternal great-great-grandfather, as the original poster stated. The claim that the Spencers descend in the male line from the Despensers was debunked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom