The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-18-2008, 02:53 PM
Heir Apparent

I remember a few years ago he said he was mad that they forced the boys to walk behind Diana's coffin and that it wasn't actually protocol. I never imagined the boys spending too much time with him anyways but it did seem like the whole family is atleast on good terms judging by the memorial service last year.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:35 AM
Serene Highness

Tragedy hits Earl Spencer's daughter Eliza as sweetheart dies

*quote from article
*Earl Spencer is expected to fly to South Africa to comfort his twin daughter Eliza as she mourns the loss of her boyfriend. Christopher Elliot. The 17-year-old died in a car accident in Cape Town, where Eliza, 16, lives with her mother Victoria"

such a tragic thing to happen to a young man and a horrible thing for a teenage girl to cope with, bless her heart and Mr. Elliot's family and friends.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

I just read it on line. How sad!
Old 07-24-2008, 08:33 PM
Nobility

I believe Earl Spencer's funeral oration to be one of the best speeches ever written and given. I don't agree with a few of the particulars included but it was well written and it summed up what a lot of folks were thinking at that moment of time.

The original on view in the exhibit is very telling in what he omitted.

Anyway, I have always thought, for decades, the British Aristocracy have a system that reeks. So much pressure on the heir and then relatively nothing for the other kids. When the current Duke of Devonshire came to town and gave a lecture, he pointedly dwelt on this old system of inheritance as he had recently inherited his title at an age when most of us plan to retire from work.

Interesting to see that the current girlfriend of Champagne Charlie is wealthy in a way the others weren't. He's smart now to go for big wealth...love is fickle (imo) but money fixes the plumbing of old houses!

My thoughts and prayers go out to Eliza.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Terrible tragedy for Eliza.. I feel for her
Old 08-07-2008, 08:49 PM
Commoner

WOW!!! I really feel sorry for the Earl's kids (especially Eliza). Their father keeps dumping his "wives" just as they are getting used to them which leaves them with a very unstable family life on their father's side. With all that happening, Eliza has to also deal with the greif of loosing her boyfriend =(
Old 08-11-2008, 10:40 AM
Administrator

A news snippet on Earl Spencer's renovations to homes on the Althorp estate can be found at the last item of this Mail Online link.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Among them is the Garden House, the property he refused to let his sister Diana have as a bolt-hole but instead offered to Patricia Guppy, whom he was accused of attempting to seduce while her fraudster husband Darius was in prison.
That man is unbelievable!
Old 08-11-2008, 12:50 PM
Heir Apparent

All he seems to have is money and good looks to recommend him. He must be quite a charmer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
Old 08-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Aristocracy

I think he did well through Eton and Cambridge and has written at least two books on history.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Oh yes, he's very intelligent and capable--which makes his attitude toward women seem even worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tan_berry View Post
I think he did well through Eton and Cambridge and has written at least two books on history.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Oh yes, he's very intelligent and capable--which makes his attitude toward women seem even worse.
Would you say he's a snob, then? Picks the lovely, beautiful brides that haven't any sense so he could Lord over them?
(no pun intended--well, yeah, okay, pun intended! )
Old 08-11-2008, 07:57 PM
Heir Apparent

In other words, he likes "dumb blondes/redheads/brunettes". I don't know. Perhaps he thinks that he honestly loves these women but just isn't any good at relationships. He must be able to pour on the charm, because his romantic history is well-known and yet women STILL fall for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Would you say he's a snob, then? Picks the lovely, beautiful brides that haven't any sense so he could Lord over them?
(no pun intended--well, yeah, okay, pun intended! )
Old 08-13-2008, 06:44 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Among them is the Garden House, the property he refused to let his sister Diana have as a bolt-hole but instead offered to Patricia Guppy, whom he was accused of attempting to seduce while her fraudster husband Darius was in prison.

You may want to read the whole thread through. Someone mentions that things didn't quite go that way...

From what I understood of the whole story was that Charles didn't object to lending Diana that house, but the security staff objected because the house stood to near the wall that surrounds the whole estate. The security had to be there or at least be possible, as it would have been used by Diana (as the mother to the heir of the Brittish trone), Prince William and Prince Harry. The security guys suggested another house on the estate and it was offered to Diana who refused that option.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:59 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
It was only last month that Princess Diana's brother Earl Spencer abruptly ended his affair with the glamorous American TV presenter who had taken the place of his second wife.

Fourth in line: Earl Spencer is spotted holidaying with ANOTHER pretty companion | Mail Online
Commitment is not the Earl's strong point, apparently.

I just hope he doesn't follow the footsteps of his cousin the Duke of Marlborough who took 4 or 5 marriages to get it right and totally screwed up his kids in the process.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 08-13-2008, 09:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

In Sarah Bradford Diana it did state that it was suggested that she rent a farmhouse outside of Althorp.
As a person he is still unbelievable
Old 08-13-2008, 11:58 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
In Sarah Bradford Diana it did state that it was suggested that she rent a farmhouse outside of Althorp.
The Diana Chroncicles, on Page 361, states that the Earl offer her other houses on the estate, but Diana, Princess of Wales had her heart set on the Garden House in the park. In a letter her brother offered a farmhouse that was outside the park on the estate. The agrument got so bad between sister and brother that the Earl asked for the Spencer tiara back.

Quote:
As a person he is still unbelievable
I think he is a mentally sick man in relationships. It comes from their parents divorcing with both of them very young and not able to hadle it.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
He has exactly the same problem which Diana had : longterm relationships whether it's friendship or love don't seem to work. Just need to see how many lovers Diana had (even without including the alleged ones) and how many friends she dumped. It's clear it's the result of something that went wrong during their childhood. Probably the divorce since neither Sarah or Jane seem to have this relationship problem with others.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 08-14-2008, 04:00 PM
Nobility

I don't understand why Diana put so much emphasis and pressure on her brother over Garden House. Surely, there were many more properties in the English countryside available for her to purchase and outfit in a secure manner.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:28 PM
Serene Highness

Maybe because it was home and she felt secure there. Althorp could have held happy and comforting memories for her at a time when she felt alone and vulnerable. Perhaps she was also in need of feeling closer to her Spencer roots after being ostracized by the Windsors.

Tags
althorp, diana, diana princess of wales, diana's family, diana: a celebration, earl spencer, museum, princess diana