The Spencer Family, Ancestry and Althorp 1: Ending Aug. 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC, Sangre_Real016, was comparing Diana's Spencer's ancestry to the Queen's Windsor ancestry completely ignoring the Queen Mother's ancestry.

Sangre_Real016 also assumed or stated things that were not proven and those that have seen been proven incorrect.

The Spencer line does not descend from the Despencer line. Sangre_Real016 also included illegimate lines and assumed children were born to people when no such children existed.

Diana's ancestry cannot be traced as far as Sangre_Real016 stated and as such Diana's ancestry does not include as many Kings and Queens as listed.

Diana does have Despencer ancestry though, QueenCamilla. Have you checked out the book Ancestry of The Royal Child by Iain Moncreiffe? Iain proves Diana has Despencer ancestors in that book.

One more thing: I'd be happy to give you the full line of Diana's Despencer descent as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC, Sangre_Real016, was comparing Diana's Spencer's ancestry to the Queen's Windsor ancestry completely ignoring the Queen Mother's ancestry. Sangre_Real016 also assumed or stated things that were not proven and those that have seen been proven incorrect. The Spencer line does not descend from the Despencer line. Sangre_Real016 also included illegimate lines and assumed children were born to people when no such children existed. Diana's ancestry cannot be traced as far as Sangre_Real016 stated and as such Diana's ancestry does not include as many Kings and Queens as listed.

Having just re-read this thread I agree with all of your points.

I also want to add that when Sangre-Real016 tried to make an argument he only focused on certain lines that seemed to prove his argument. The fact that Diana's family came from an older family than Prince Philip's - assuming that the Despencers became the Spencers - was a heavy part of the argument, even though Prince Philip'd ancestry can be traced just as far back through a number of lines. Similar can be said of the Queen.

He also asserted that the Queen's paternal ancestors were essentially all German, ignoring the fact that her paternal grandmother was born in Britain to a British mother, one paternal great-grandmother was a Danish Princess, and her most famous paternal great-grandmother was a Queen who not only was born in Britain, but also spent the vast majority of her life there.

Diana does have Despencer ancestry though, QueenCamilla. Have you checked out the book Ancestry of The Royal Child by Iain Moncreiffe? Iain proves Diana has Despencer ancestors in that book.

Diana does have Despencer ancestors, that is undeniable. So does the Queen.

What cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt is that the Spencers are direct, male-line descendants of the Despencers. The claim was made in the 15th century by Henry Spencer, but it's believed that these claims were fabricated. Fabricating lineage was something that happened then, particularly among those who for one reason or another felt the need to prove themselves to be of some importance. It was around the same time that Henry Spencer was trying to claim to be descended from the Despencers that Henry VII was claiming to be descended from King Arthur. Both are questionable claims at best.

...Sangre-Real016 tried to make an argument...that Diana's family came from an older family than Prince Philip's...
Philip was born a Prince of Greece and Denmark with the paternal direct Danish line descending from Gorm the Old, who reigned from c936 to c958. Philip's mother's Battenberg ancestry via the House of Hesse can be traced back to at least 846, and as a descendant of Queen Victoria he can trace that line of his ancestry back to the Anglo Saxons and Egbert in 829.

If the "Spencer family is older" argument conveniently ignores Prince Philip's Hessian antecedents and bases it on the Battenberg's titular inception in 1851, it contains as much logical validity as a claim that the royal ancestry of Elizabeth II dates from 1917.

As to the question "how royal is the Queen?", from 1936 to 1947 she was the daughter and heiress of the King-Emperor and Queen-Empress. You can't get much more "royal" than that.

I didn't know this. So cool! So little Prince George of Cambridge is a direct male-line ancestor of this Gorm the Old from 958AD? I think this definitely trumps the Spencers. My apologises to Ish and others.

I see where you've made this leap, but it's not an accurate one. Prince Philip is a direct paternal descendant of Gorm the Old (among others), but not a direct male-line descendant. Being a male-line descendant means that between person X and person Y there are only men - so Prince George is a direct male line descendant of Prince Philip - the line is Philip, Charles, William, George. Being a paternal descendant means that on their father's side person X is descended from person Y, but there are female lines of descent in there as well. So, Prince Philip is a paternal ancestor of Isla Phillips - the line is Philip, Anne, Peter, Isla.

Part of the problem with Sangre_Real016's reasoning was that it only looked at the direct male-line ancestors of Prince Philip and the Queen, while it looked at multiple lines of descent for Diana. Thus people like Gorm the Old don't factor into the equation for establishing how old Prince Philip's line is.

Philip's - and the Queen's - line can be traced farther back than Gorm though, although the further back you go the more inclined to being legendary things become. They're both descended from the House of Wessex, which traces it's origins back to the most-likely real Cerdic of Wessex, who died in 534.

Hi ya'll.. sorry, i was not able to reply earlier.. i just revisited this thread and saw the previous post so i opted to possible defend what i said..

Since discussing this with Sangre_Real016 I've looked into both the Windsor and Spencer line extensively, and I still disagree with his overall conclusions. His previous posts do leave doubt to the matter as they're based on this narrow assumption that the Windsors' ancestors are mostly dukes and the like, instead of kings, and that the Spencers are from more royal houses than the Windsors. This isn't true, as it's doesn't comprehend what being a sovereign Duke was - he treats the Germanic ancestors of the Windsors as if they were mere peers, when that isn't what happened, they were sovereign lords. He also acts as though this all happened around the same time; that while the Spencers were marrying into the Medici family, the Windsors were marrying mere dukes. This isn't an accurate representation of things at all.

Diana's royal ancestry all predates the 18th century. Charles' not only continues to the present day, but also goes back as far and as varied as Diana's. Given as both of his parents descend from Royal Houses it's a hard argument to say that Diana's family holds more royal ancestors.

i never actually said that i only considered them as mere peers of the realm, or anything remotely close to that understatement.. here is what i said earlier, and i quote:

"As i said earlier, i never said that Diana has more royal blood in her than the queen.. I said it all goes down to preference and personal opinion.. If you think that the Queen who descends from actual rulers since the 10th century and is related to the Kings of England, Scotland, Prussia, Denmark, Saxony, Hanover, Wurttemberg, Grand Dukes of Mecklenburg, Dukes of Ernestine Duchies, etc. is more royal, then its all good.. or if you think an aristocratic Lady that came from a hereditary titled family since the 10th century and is related to Holy Roman Emperors, Austrian Emperors, Kings of England, Scotland, France, Spain, Bavaria, Ancient Gaelic Kingdoms, Electors of the Palatinate, Grand Dukes of Tuscany, Dukes of Milan, etc has more blue blood in her, then its okay too.. "

-and-

"well one contest that honestly.. it all depends what one defines royal blood.. the Queen paternally belongs to the House of saxe-Coburg and Gotha, a branch of the House of Wettin, and has ancestors which includes the Dukes of Saxe-Goburg and Gotha, the Electors of Saxony, the Landgraves of Thuringia, the Margraves of Meissen, the Counts of Wettin, Kings of Denmark who were originally Dukes of Schelswig-Holstein, Dukes of Wurttemberg, Landgraves/Electors/Grand Dukes of Hesse and from her Hanoverian descent, her ancestors include the Electors of Hanover, Dukes of Brunswick, Duke of Mecklenburg, etc.. Prince Philip on the other hand descends from the Kings of Denmark via the Dukes of Schelswig-Holstein, Count of Oldenburg and the Emperors of Russia via again, the Dukes of Schelswig-Holstein.. and yeah, of course, from the Kings of England and Scotland.. so yeah, without doubt, they are of royal blood..

but what about the Spencers then? the Spencers are of royal descent via what people call, "on the left side of bed".. but the Spencers are not to be blamed for their ancestors' mistakes and illegitimate or not, the products of this union are still of so called "royal blood" per se.. because of the union of Albert Spencer, 7th Earl Spencer (a legitimate descendant of King Henry VII) and Lady Cynthia Hamilton (who is a legitimate descendant of Elector Charles I Louis of the Palatinate), the Spencers enjoy a wide array of royal ancestors.. from their descent from King James II, the Spencers are descended from the Kings of France, Kings of Castile, Kings of Leon, Kings of Aragon, Kings of Naples, Kings of Sicily, Kings of Jerusalem, Kings of England, Kings of Scotland, Kings of Navarre, Kings of Portugal, Kings of Hungary, Kings of Cyprus, Kings of Denmark, Kings of Poland, Kings of Bohemia, Holy Roman Emperors, Byzantine Emperors, Tsars of Bulgaria, Grand Dukes of Tuscany, Electors of the Palatinate, Dukes of Swabia, Duke of Bavaria, Dukes of Savoy, Dukes of Lorraine, Duke of Saxony, Dukes of Milan, Dukes of Burgundy, Dukes of Aquitaine, Dukes of Carinthia, Counts of Foix, etc..

the Windsors may enjoy more royal ancestors in the more previous generations but the Spencers actually have more royall ancestors of nominally higher rank in the more later generations.. why is that you may ask? well probably because the Spencers' have had more ancestors who were Kings and Emperors while the Windsors' royal ancestors includes mostly Dukes, Landragves and Counts.. we'll i guess it all goes to what one actually defines as "royal".."

in my defense, never did i say that they were mere peers or remotely being just titular nobles, as i said, they were sovereign ruler.. what i pointed out is that they were sovereign of nominally lower rank that of kings and emperors.. plus i have numerously mentioned that they were questionably royals.. that is what i meant to say..

IIRC, Sangre_Real016, was comparing Diana's Spencer's ancestry to the Queen's Windsor ancestry completely ignoring the Queen Mother's ancestry.

i never focused on that part of the Queen's heritage since were are mostly referring to her royal heritage, but it does not mean i blatantly ignored Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon's royal heritage.. like what i said, and i quote:

"i never denied the fact that the Bowes-Lyons are also quite aristocratic.. the Bowes-Lyons descended from John Lyon, Lord of Glamis who married Princess Johanna, daughter of Robert II of Scotland and Elizabeth Mure.. but this does not really say much as Diana herself also descends from Robert II of Scotland and Elizabeth Mure through Diana's descent from Mary, Queen of Scots..

Sangre_Real016 also assumed or stated things that were not proven and those that have seen been proven incorrect.

The Spencer line does not descend from the Despencer line.

well, those were quite some accusations.. i never assumed of anything.. i presented the Spencer family tree as what the Spencer family itself believes it do.. so saying that it was i who made the assumptions are quite hurtful and without a shadow of a doubt incorrect.. now, if those lines of descent were fabricated somewhere along the line, i think i shouldn't be blamed for it now do i? besides, i have already acknowledge its questionable origins in the first place in an another thread with a very respectable and knowledgeable member.. Here is the link of our discussion regarding the Spencer family's descent from the ancient Despensers.. http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...dynastic-laws-and-marriage-rules-34148-2.html (note: it;s the second to the last post on that page)

Sangre_Real016 also included illegimate lines and assumed children were born to people when no such children existed.

Diana's ancestry cannot be traced as far as Sangre_Real016 stated and as such Diana's ancestry does not include as many Kings and Queens as listed.

hmmm??? funny, as far as i know, all the natural begot of royal personas that i listed actually existed and there are documents supporting those facts.. i cannot give all theline of descent for every single royal ancestor of the Spencer, i assure everyone that those people actually existed.. show me a certain person that i listed which actually did not exist, this referring to Diana's ancestry who some people say does not include as many Kings and Queens as i listed..

I also want to add that when Sangre-Real016 tried to make an argument he only focused on certain lines that seemed to prove his argument. The fact that Diana's family came from an older family than Prince Philip's - assuming that the Despencers became the Spencers - was a heavy part of the argument, even though Prince Philip'd ancestry can be traced just as far back through a number of lines. Similar can be said of the Queen.

i actually focused their direct paternal lines.. i didn't include the others for it would overwhelm the thread.. the Queen, prince Philip and Diana has so much royal ancestry in both lines that it would be overwhelming to discuss them all.. if that is what's bothering you, i apologized simply because, i was actually refferng more to the antiquity of their agnatic lines of descent above all..

He also asserted that the Queen's paternal ancestors were essentially all German, ignoring the fact that her paternal grandmother was born in Britain to a British mother, one paternal great-grandmother was a Danish Princess, and her most famous paternal great-grandmother was a Queen who not only was born in Britain, but also spent the vast majority of her life there.

again, i never said that, and i quote myself once more..

"I said that because the most, if not Queen's patrilineal ancestors were of German origin.. in my defense, i never said that the Queen is German, i only said, most of the royal blood that flows in her veins are from German royals.."

Part of the problem with Sangre_Real016's reasoning was that it only looked at the direct male-line ancestors of Prince Philip and the Queen, while it looked at multiple lines of descent for Diana. Thus people like Gorm the Old don't factor into the equation for establishing how old Prince Philip's line is.

Philip's - and the Queen's - line can be traced farther back than Gorm though, although the further back you go the more inclined to being legendary things become. They're both descended from the House of Wessex, which traces it's origins back to the most-likely real Cerdic of Wessex, who died in 534.
hmmm, i think there was a confusion in everything.. my purpose in showing direct agnatic line is show each family's antiquity.. as what my first post said, Prince Philip earliest recorded direct agnatic ancestor is Elimar, Count of Oldenburg, whereas for the Queen, it would be Dietrich I, Count of Wettin.. whereas for Diana, undisputable records shows a Thomas Spencer, but the family itself and others believe that it's actually Raoul de Tancarville, which apparently even the current College of Arms recognizes?, not sure though.. whether that is true or not, who knows.. and if that is the case, i should have included Robert II, Count of Worms and Rheingau and Hugh Capet as they are her direct ancestors as well..

now, i don't know if this thread had changed to "Who has more royal blood" or "Who has the most royal ancestors" or "Who has the oldest royal ancestor", but like what i said, it all goes down to what people think who is.. do we evaluate someone by what family they were actually born to, or how many royal ancestors do they have, etc..

again, i never denied anything about Prince Philip's and the Queen royal ancestors in both lines, nor blatantly said that Lady Diana is more royal than them nor does she have more royal ancestors.. i suggest, one should just research by themselves and decide on their own..

Last edited:
Also, can someone please show Prince Philip's line of descent from Gorm the Old? thanks..

Quick question... Was Princess Diana related to Maria Theresa, the Austrian queen?
The same goes for Elizabeth II--was she as well?

the answer is yes.. they share a line of descent from Ferdinand I, Holy Roman Emperor

Ferdinand I, Holy Roman Emperor
Charles II, Archduke of Austria
Ferdinand II, Holy Roman Emperor
Ferdinand III, Holy Roman Emperor
Leopold I, Holy Roman Emperor
Charles VI, Holy Roman Emperor
Maria Theresa, Empress of Austria

upon the marriage of Albert Spencer, 7th Earl Spencer to Lady Cynthia Hamilton, Diana can boast 2 lines of descent from Ferdinand I through both Charles II and James II..

Joanna of Austria, Grand Duchess of Tuscany
Marie de' Medici, Queen of France
Henrietta Maria, Queen of England and Scotland
Charles II of England
Charles Lennox, 1st Duke of Richmond
Charles Lennox, 2nd Duke of Richmond
Lord George Henry Lennox
Charles Lennox, 4th Duke of Richmond
Charles Gordon-Lennox, 5th Duke of Richmond
Cecilia Gordon-Lennox, Countess of Lucan
Rosalind Bingham, Duchess of Abercorn
Cynthia Hamilton, Countess Spencer
Edward John Spencer, 8th Earl Spencer
Diana, Princess of Wales

- - -

Joanna of Austria, Grand Duchess of Tuscany
Marie de' Medici, Queen of France
Henrietta Maria, Queen of England and Scotland
James II and VII of England and Scotland
Henrietta Fitz-James, Countess of Newcastle
James Waldergrave, 1st Earl Waldergrave
James Waldergrave, 2nd Earl Waldergrave
Lady Anna Horatia Waldergrave
Sir Horace Seymour
Adelaide Horatia Seymour, Countess Spencer
Charles Spencer, 6th Earl Spencer
Albert Spencer, 7th Earl Spencer
John Spencer, 8th Earl Spencer
Diana, Princess of Wales

as for the Queen, i can't find a line of descent.. they might be related but in a far more distant line of descent.. not sure though.. main reason is because the Queen does not descent from the line of either Charles I's children who's marriage to Henrietta Maria of France through her mother Marie de' Medici links them to the Habsburg Emperors.. maybe someone can help you more re: this.. thanks..

This is the Wikipedia page showing the descent of the Danish monarchy from Gorm The Old - User:The Emperor's New Spy/Sandbox/Descent of Margarethe II from Gorm the Old - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No. 29, Louise of Hesse-Kassel, was the mother of both Alexandra, consort of Edward VII of Great Britain, and George I (William) of Greece (Prince Philip's grandfather).

great! thanks.. it seems Diana also descends from Gorm the Old through Anne of Denmark, Queen of England and Scotland, mother of Charles I and grandmother of Charles II and James II as well as the mother of Elizabeth Stuart who's granddaughter was Raugravine Karoline of the Palatinate, ancestor of Diana, Princess of Wales through the line of her grandmother Cynthia Hamilton, Countess Spencer.. :)

There has been, broadcast on PBS in July, and it's pretty good.
Here is the PBS link [not available in some countries]
Video: Secrets of Althorp - The Spencers | Watch Secrets of the Manor House Online | PBS Video

I watched that, and I really enjoyed it. Though I did have a question about something after I watched that and some documentaries on the Downton Abbey house. How is it Earl Spencer was able to re do the whole house (according to him ) but it is very hard for The Carnarvons and others to fix up their homes? For example I think there are still quite a few rooms and even the roof needs to be fixed on Highclere Castle. Though I don't know when the documentary I am thinking of was done so it could have been fixed up by now.

:previous:
Althorp the house would still receive a sizeable number of visitors (although it is currently closed) and the Estate is run on a commercial basis. Maintenance is progressive and if large projects such as the recent re-roofing couldn't be paid for in cash then a bank loan based on future income may have been available.

I would imagine that Highclere would be toting up the cash from the increased number of visitors over the past few years. No matter how good the paying attendance figures, no aristocrat with a large house and estate to maintain is going to cry rich.

I do think a documentary should be made on Althorp. I think there's a great deal of history behind the estate.

There is a documentary out there about Althorp and it is recent. I saw it on my PBS station. There was also one about Highclare and another one or two that I can't remember right now. They were shown after "Downton Abbey" on Sunday nights in 2013 and are repeated often. I don't know where you live or if these documentaries were only shown in America but you can probably find them on Netflix or similar.

Rare Pictures:
On 1 June 1954, Princess Diana’s parents, Lord Spencer and Frances Ruth Roche, the younger daughter of the 4th Baron Fermoy, were married in Westminster Abbey by Percy Herbert, Bishop of Norwich.

HM The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh, The Queen Mother, Princess Margaret and other members of the Royal Family attended-
The Queen and her Duke | On 1 June 1954, Princess Diana

Princess Diana's memorial 'neglected', former royal chef claims - Telegraph
17 August 2014

Princess Diana's memorial 'neglected', former royal chef claims

Princess Diana’s brother Earl Spencer has been criticised for allowing her memorial stone to become "messy and overgrown", by her former chef.

Darren McGrady, who worked for the Princess of Wales after her divorce from Prince Charles in 1996, accused her brother of neglecting the gravestone which is situated in the grounds of his Althorp Estate.

The chef tweeted a series of images of the memorial, which is placed on an island in a lake, surrounded by overgrown vegetation and algae covered water. Mr McGrady, who also spent 11 years working at Buckingham Palace, said: “If I cared for Princess Diana in life as you are doing in death I would have been fired. Please tidy up the vegetation on the island. Prove you wanted Princess Diana there through love and not just to make money.”

While Diana’s final resting place was kept a secret for security reasons, a memorial including a small temple was built on the Althorp Estate which people can visit for £18.

Mr McGrady, who now works in Texas and calls himself The Royal Chef on Twitter, added: “Made me so sad to see how Althorp Estate has neglected Princess Diana's resting place.”

A spokesman for the estate said the spread of algae was the result of a hot summer and was a common problem. He said: “Algae is an unsightly problem for many lakes in the summer months...the exceptional temperatures of this summer have made the task of keeping it entirely under control extremely difficult.”

I'm reading the recorded Bradford Diana. It's read by Katherine Kellgren. She pronounces Althorp all-trip. I remember the TV program Secrets of Althorp using the pronounciation all-thorp. Are both used?

I'm reading the recorded Bradford Diana. It's read by Katherine Kellgren. She pronounces Althorp all-trip. I remember the TV program Secrets of Althorp using the pronounciation all-thorp. Are both used?

Awl thrup as far as I remember. Doesnt have to look sensible. Its English. Bear in mind that Featherstonehaugh is pronounced Fanshawe.:lol:

Awl thrup as far as I remember. Doesnt have to look sensible. Its English. Bear in mind that Featherstonehaugh is pronounced Fanshawe.:lol:

Thanks, Cepe. Sometimes I think I must be going mad! :ROFLMAO:

BTW, I just finished Earl Spencer's book on Althorp and I thought it extremely well written. The Eton shows.
And he discribes the pronunciation as Awl-thrupp.

Last edited:
Bit of trivial

Ann Spencer's first child was a girl that she named Elizabeth Sarah.
John Spencer's first child was a girl that he named Elizabeth Sarah.

Ann Spencer's 4th pregnancy resulted in a girl which she named Diana.
John Spencer's 4th child was a girl which he named Diana.

Ann & John both had 5 children each.

Althorp is indeed a beautiful family home.

I think William and Harry visit once in a while and whenever they have the spare time. All private, so we'll never know about it.

...But his best line came during the discussion of Althorp, the 500-year-old family pile for 19 Spencer generations, which he inherited when he was 27 after his father died. It has 90 rooms, some of which he hasn't even been in.

"I know it sounds absurd," he says, when Oprah jumps in to say it's not so absurd now that Americans have been introduced to Downton Abbey.

Downton creator Julian Fellowes, a titled aristocrat himself, is a pal, Spencer says.

"I did have the joy of sending Julian a clip from the Los Angeles Times where there was a profile of my house and the reviewer said it made Downton Abbey look Downton shabby."
More: Diana's house: Better than Downton Abbey?

Any Oz posters interested in Althorp - this is the property being covered in this coming week's episode of "Secrets of the Manor House".

SBS ONE and SBS HD this Saturday 4th July at 7.30pm.

Any Oz posters interested in Althorp - this is the property being covered in this coming week's episode of "Secrets of the Manor House".

SBS ONE and SBS HD this Saturday 4th July at 7.30pm.

Thanks for letting me know about this.:flowers:

General question

If John Spencer had died in 1978 of his brain aneurysm who would have administered Althorp and until Charles Spencer reached what age?

In 1978, Charles Spencer was 14.
Hopefully he would not have been given complete control of Althorp at just 14 or would he?

Would Raine have administered the estate?
The Spencer children did not like Raine and considering how they treated her when John died in 1992 would she have been allowed to stay at Althorp after 1978?

Would Frances?
Frances was divorced from John and remarried but she was the mother of Charles Spencer would she had been allowed to move back into Althorp and take control of the estate?

Sarah Spencer?
Sarah was 23 in 1978 would she have been allowed or did she need to be older or male?

Anne Spencer Wake-Walker?
She was John's sister. Would it have fallen on her or did they need a male from the Spencer line?

I understand that a will might have been in place but if there was no will what would have happened?

Thanks

(Mods, If not in right place please move.)

You raise some very interesting questions and although I have no clue what would have happened, I would be very interested in knowing the answers.

Why did the Spencer children dislike Raine so intensely?

The children were raised in a broken home and had problems accepting their stepmother back in the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom