The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-02-2008, 09:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

I was under the impression his wife was very devoted to him. She supposedly nursed him back to health after a devastating stroke against all odds.
Was the reality quite different??

Old 07-02-2008, 10:44 PM
Serene Highness

Raine Spencer did nurse the Earl until his death. After he passed, she was unceremoniously evicted from Althorp.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:30 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
Raine Spencer did nurse the Earl until his death. After he passed, she was unceremoniously evicted from Althorp.
Raine did nurse the Earl (Diana's father) back to health after a crippling stroke in the late 1970's. It was a miracle as the doctors had all but given up hope of restoring his health.
I remember him walking down the aisle at St. Pauil's --- I held my breath because I didn't think that he would make it, but he did!
When the Earl died and Diana's brother Charles assumed the Earldom, all of the old Earl's children (including Diana) literally kicked Raine out of the house - threw her suitcases down the stairs - after, I believe, making sure that she was not concealing any family treasures in those suitcases. I think that Diana even pushed Raine out.
Raine - ever smiling - picked up her life and became very chummy with Mohammed al Faedi - Dodi's dad - and and was placed on the board of Harrod's.
Raine and Diana did eventually did make amends and became somewhat chummy. They would meet together for lunch at Harrod's from time to time.
Today, Raine (after a shot-lived marriage to a French "nobleman") still looks the same - fashionably dressed with her bouffant hair-do --- I swear that she never seems to age and always has a smile on her face.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

I don't think she was allowed many suitcases, the reports suggested that they put her belongings in black bin bags.
Quote:
And she had an especially soft spot for garbage bags: When stepmother Raine was finally kicked out of Althorp, upon Earl Spencer's death in '92, Di had Raine's glorious clothes unpacked from her "S"-emblazoned Vuitton suitcases, stuffed into garbage bags and then kicked downstairs. (Her brother Charles, heir to the Spencer title, bowled Raine's other possessions after them.)
The Princess Bride - washingtonpost.com
Princess Diana tapes: Part 3 - TV News - MSNBC.com

Repayment for falling in love with and looking after the Earl!
Old 07-03-2008, 06:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Repayment for falling in love with and looking after the Earl!
Par for the course in that mean spirited and disfunctional family.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:42 AM
Aristocracy

If Diana father was anything like her brother i see why her mother left him!
Old 07-03-2008, 08:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie View Post
If Diana father was anything like her brother i see why her mother left him!
I think they both had many relationships with other partners.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:51 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I'm not sure that Diana's father, then Viscount Althorp, cheated on Frances. However, it seems that Viscount Althorp aged rather badly, got boring and stale ... and then didn't have much in common with the much younger Frances, who loved city life and found a romantic partner. Had Diana been paying attention, she might have realized the potential for a similar problem in her marriage.

I meant to say, I think that he didn't cheat on Frances until after she had taken up with Shand Kidd. We all know that eventually he had the passionate affair with Raine.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

According to 'High Beams', they have an article, from the Mail, entitled 'Was Diana's mother a battered wife', in which it claims he may have been a womaniser and wife beater. The link won't post here because you have to be a member to read it. I will keep looking for the written rumour.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

I had not read that the late Earl Spencer was a womanizer, however I do remember reading that he was physically abusive towards Frances. Unless I am having a senior moment, did Frances not cross file for divorce siting cruelty?
Old 07-04-2008, 04:30 PM
Serene Highness

From what I've heard - and this supposedly comes from a friend of one of Raine Spencer's children - Diana's father was a decent but emotionally stunted man who did not cheat on Frances. He was very nervous (due to the terrible way his own father treated him) and prone to bouts of severe depression. Frances supposedly was so traumatized by the Spencers pressure for her to have a son that she went for the first man who treated her with any kind of attention and affection - something painfully lacking in her own marriage.

Diana's grandfather Spencer was the notorious womanizer and alledged wife-beater.

Seems the current Earl Spencer isn't much to write home about either in terms of how he treats woman, including his sisters. Spoiled brat. Tho they say he is an attentive father. Who knows.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:39 PM
Aristocracy

About Raine Spencer's eviction...

...Yes, there was resentment over how she controlled their father and how she took over Althorp and sold many of it's treasures, but let's not forget that Diana mended fences with her long before she died and the two often met for lunch.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:23 PM
Aristocracy

I read in a Diana´s biography that her parents had so many children looking for the male heir. When they finally got one, the child died, and that happened before Diana and Charles were born. That experience is usually terrible for a marriage.

I do not think Charles Spencer is a saint, but he is in the limelight, different to most men of his generation. Two marriages at forty something is not a big thing, nowadays. He did cheat repeteadly on his first wife, they say, who was busy looking for the male heir he needed, too. That is the worst part of the movie. Very bad, indeed. So selfish and inconsiderate.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:33 AM
Nobility

Too bad he is doing well for himself. And he has beautiful and brainy daughters too. I haven't read much of the stories shared lately on this thread but I read his furniture business based on Althorp designs have been winners. I am impressed by the way he expresses himself (such clever use of words) but I agree with the general consensus that he was not fair during Diana's eulogy, in regards to the Royal family. Then I remembered he was from the same stock as Churchill, the great wartime leader...no wonder the same way with words! but Churchill would definitely have turned in his grave at such vitriolic, vindictive stab at the beloved Royal family whose legacy he had valiantly upheld.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:40 AM
Heir Apparent

I find that, as time goes by, more people are aware of how awful Earl Spencer's speech was at that funeral. At the time, it seemed like a grief-stricken brother fighting for his sister's legacy; but as time goes by, it sounds more and more like a bitter rant against the Windsors.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:08 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I find that, as time goes by, more people are aware of how awful Earl Spencer's speech was at that funeral. At the time, it seemed like a grief-stricken brother fighting for his sister's legacy; but as time goes by, it sounds more and more like a bitter rant against the Windsors.
so true isn't it?! i remember thinking it was great that he was finally saying what diana felt along but now, in hindsight, it just seems like it was a knee jerk reaction that deeply hurt the queen.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
While his latest squeeze sat in the church!

I saw it as a hate fueled rant, with no thought or regard for his nephews or HM, from a brother who had hardly done his best for his sister. Those children had already suffered the loss of a beloved parent and the trauma of walking behind the coffin and now they were a captive audience for this diatribe!

It was quite simply neither the time nor the place for his attack of verbal diarrhoea.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:28 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
I had not read that the late Earl Spencer was a womanizer, however I do remember reading that he was physically abusive towards Frances. Unless I am having a senior moment, did Frances not cross file for divorce siting cruelty?
"Back in the day" mental cruelty was a common legal reason for seeking divorce but didn't necessarily mean actual abuse or cruelty took place. My impression is that, although then Viscount Althorp may have been loud and was physically intimidating by virtue of size, he allowed women to run him (Frances, her mother, and later Raine).

I have also heard of alcohol abuse by some accounts but other authors deny that. I think there was definitely a tendency toward depression. Until the death of his father, life was very difficult -- the elder Earl Spencer (Diana's grandfather) was an eccentric, mean bully who controlled the purse strings and certainly loved his estate over his own family.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
"Back in the day" mental cruelty was a common legal reason for seeking divorce but didn't necessarily mean actual abuse or cruelty took place.
Mental cruelty/abuse is still a valid reason for divorce, unfortunately it was/is as real as physical abuse and does take place!
Old 07-09-2008, 09:28 AM
Serene Highness

Charles, Earl Spencer, has the persona of the cliche politician, imo. He's really all about himself but he'll say and do whatever it takes to put himself in a positive light, whether he's being sincere or not. I think alot of what he said at Diana's eulogy was to make himself popular and look like the noble brother and head of the family defending the poor misunderstood and often maligned by the RF sister. He totally took advantage of the unsettled public opinion of the RF right after D's death. This man should run for office.

Tags
althorp, diana, diana princess of wales, diana's family, diana: a celebration, earl spencer, museum, princess diana