The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 07:26 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I have just re-read that section of the book and it doesn't mention Diana at all - she says Charles was 'apoplectic' not Diana.

It followed the chronological telling of the story of how the princes put on his 50th birthday party event and invited Camilla along.
I read that from the dailymail extract of the book, not the book itself.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:29 AM
Serene Highness

Where to start? To Anbrida, Richard Kay was a journalist. The reason his account of their conversation was in the media is because Diana called him wanting to get her side of the story out. The rest of the accounts probably came from the police source (most reporters have at least one), palace sources, Diana's staff, and Diana herself. There was probably a friend of Charles in the mix, but the media couldn't quote him because Charles would have been upset if one of his friends went to the media. He had asked his friends not to do so.

Second, it really strains belief that the Hoares called in the police because they were receiving nuisance calls but Diana wasn't involved in the original calls. She only happened to make 12 nuisance calls to them as soon as the trace was set up.

Regardless, if you really want to believe that she only made 12 calls. So what? She shouldn't have made even one. But it is ridiculous to argue that she only made those 12 calls. If you want to believe that Diana didn't make the calls from the pay phones, she obviously made the calls from her own mobile phone, Kensington Palace, and her sister's home. It doesn't matter if there were 30 or 300 calls. It was illegal (that is why the police were called in).

She was an adult and when asked about the calls during a national interview, she should have simply said that she shouldn't have hung up on Hoare's wife. She should not have mentioned the young child who had nothing to do with the war of the Waleses--even if the child did make some of the calls.

I believe that Diana was mentally ill and it was hard for her to control her impulses, but she did have some control. I believe she had planned that response in advance. Regardless, there are some things you don't do and outing a child in a national interview is one of them.

Now, even though Diana was fanatical about getting her side of the story out--no matter who it hurt, some of her fans are criticizing Junor and others for getting another side of the story out. That is hypocritical. Diana's words and actions live on. She helped some people, she hurt some people. Both the people she helped and hurt have a right to tell their stories.

Let's say someone went around criticizing you, including some exaggerations, and then died. Are you saying that you wouldn't have the right to try and set the record straight?

The facts are that Diana was an historical figure who opened her private life to the media. People like Richard Kay and Andrew Morton made a fortune helping her tell her side of the story. People like Junor who are in Charles's camp have the same rights.

ETA: I also believe the media were bugging her and Charles whenever possible. The Camillagate and Squidgygate tapes are proof of that.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Diana is an historical figure and books will be written about her for centuries to come..
Yes, I know Diana is an historical figure and will be written about for years to come but I think it's totally sad when some people take so much pride in slamming Diana's memory over and over again and in an unfair way. Diana is made out to be the big bad rat scaring all the little harmless mice. Be fair in one's writing and let it be known that Diana wasn't the only player in the game.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-10-2014, 07:41 AM
Nobility

Penny Junor first claim "Diana warned to kill Camilla" story in her 1998 book "Charles: Victim or Villain".
Quote:
Author Penny Junor was allowed access to 30 of the Prince of Wales' closet friends and aids to research her book - Charles : Victim or Villain - which will be published next month. It is highly unlikely they would have co-operated without his agreement. Only last month, Princes William and Harry called for an end to.what has called the "Diana industry" - commercial and media exploitation of the princess.

Junor is a lomg-time confidante of Charles and the most damaging allegation in her book is that Diana made late-night death threats to the Prince's mistress Camilla Parker Bowles.

Of the alleged death threats, Junor writes that Camilla would pick up the phone and hear a voice she recognised as Diana's saying: "I've sent someone to kill you. They are outside in e garden.

"Look out of e window. Can you see them?"
Old 09-10-2014, 07:56 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Yes, I know Diana is an historical figure and will be written about for years to come but I think it's totally sad when some people take so much pride in slamming Diana's memory over and over again and in an unfair way. Diana is made out to be the big bad rat scaring all the little harmless mice. Be fair in one's writing and let it be known that Diana wasn't the only player in the game.
Junor is more critical of Diana but she has also been critical of Charles. She criticizes him for the TV interview. She also criticized both he and Diana for some of the decisions in raising William and Harry, including the turnover of nannies and lack of discipline. She also says that Charles was unprepared to handle Diana's emotional needs and wasn't especially constructive in his criticism. She acknowledges Charles wasn't 'in love' with Diana when they married and that he eventually resumed his affair with Camilla.

However, Junor, factually, details the impact of Diana's mental illness on their marriage. I understand that her fans don't want to hear anything negative about their icon but I don't find anything in Junor's writing to be unbelievable. or factually different than what we already know about Charles and Diana It's just a different side of the same story.

It's unfortunate that Diana's fans can't accept that there were two sides of the story.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:59 AM
Nobility

People here seems find it okay that the same story, without any source and concrete evidence, should be repeated again and again, for example around every important dates of her sons. Imteresting.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:14 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbrida View Post
People here seems find it okay that the same story, without any source and concrete evidence, should be repeated again and again, for example around every important dates of her sons. Imteresting.
One thing has nothing to do with the other... while I find it more than sad, that these old stories are repeated over and over again - because of close family and friends - I cannot find bigger fault with those who write critical of Diana, than those who make her out beeing a reincarnation of Holy Maria...
Old 09-10-2014, 09:47 AM
Nobility

Can anyone here claim that in your life you have never done any impulsive action?

Although Diana could be impulsive, for example she pushed her stepmother off a step. But there are also evidences that she was a person very concerned about other people's lifes, more than her own life.

Quote:
November 1995, Roberto Devorik stated that the day after the broadcast of 'Panorama' programme featuring the interview with the Princess of Wales, which he believed to be in November 1995, they traveled to Argentina. They did not travel together because she was concerned for his safty. On arrival in Buenos Airs after speaking to William on the telephone, she told Roberto Devorik, "after this they are going to kill me." - Report of Diana inquiries
Another story is from the time when she was in Paris on Aug 30, 1997.

Quote:
Also yesterday, it was revealed that Diana told her bodyguard hours before her death that the paparazzi hounding her might kill themselves with their reckless driving.

She was worried one of them would end up under the wheels of her car as they scrambled desperately for pictures.

Minder Kes Wingfield's boss Paul Hanley-Greaves told e Harrods press conference: "The princess told him about the foolhardiness of the motorcycle drivers.

"She was afraid one of them might fall under one of the wheels of the car."
Old 09-10-2014, 10:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

Again, we all know there are two side to the story and (us) Diana fans can accept Diana's faults. I think the problem is that if you're gonna write a book about Charles & Diana, I think it's best to be fair and balanced. That marriage went down because of both of their actions and with the help of the media. It's not about what one person did more than the other. Charles & Diana were and (still is) good people but made some major mistakes.

I think it's bad to get into the habit of ripping a new hole into the dead over the past drama and lightly slapping the living on the hand for the past drama. Be fair and honest about the "War of the Waleses" and when it comes down to their private marital problems, they both got very ugly.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-10-2014, 10:04 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nofret View Post
One thing has nothing to do with the other... while I find it more than sad, that these old stories are repeated over and over again - because of close family and friends - I cannot find bigger fault with those who write critical of Diana, than those who make her out beeing a reincarnation of Holy Maria...
If I am using lies or non-concrete stories to make her out being a reincarnation of Holy Maria, that is my fault. But all the stories I told are facts themselves. What are the impression they gave you is not up to me. Whether the stories make you feel she was the reincarnation of Holy Maria, or otherwise, it was all up to you.

This is a threat about facets of Diana. I dont see why I am wrong to have a more strict standard on the stories told in this threat.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:08 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbrida View Post
Can anyone here claim that in your life you have never done any impulsive action?

Although Diana could be impulsive, for example she pushed her stepmother off a step. But there are also evidences that she was a person very concerned about other people's lifes, more than her own life.
I have done some impulsive actions in my life, but I've NEVER pushed anyone down the stairs. It's nice that Diana SAID that she was more concerned about other people's lives than her own. However, I really didn't find it convincing because you combined those quotes with her admission that she pushed someone down the stairs.

Pushing someone down the stairs is not a good thing to do. It's actually a crime. Saying that you are concerned about other people does not negate the fact that you pushed someone down the stairs.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:12 AM
Courtier

Diana-Believers take her words to be truthfull, when ever it is positiv about her and negativ about the POW or the DoC ... while others have to proof what they say to the contrary to no ends.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

Whatever happened between Diana and her stepmother was likely put behind them because they became rather close towards the end of Diana's life. Families have their drama no matter who they are and titles they have.

Pushing anyone down the stairs or step is the wrong thing to do but no none of us was there and know exactly what was said and the emotions that were involved.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-10-2014, 10:49 AM
Serene Highness

It's wonderful that her stepmother forgave her. It says a lot about the character of her stepmother.

However, this is about Diana. Pushing someone down the stairs is wrong. It is a crime. It is not nice. There is no excuse for it. I don't care if Diana made appearances for charity or said she cared about other people--pushing her stepmother down the stairs was a bad thing to do.

All families have drama--few people actually push another family member down the stairs. At least I hope it is only a few people. Some posters are making me wonder... I hope I don't met some of you in a back alley somewhere. Some posters sound really nasty.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

I agree with you that pushing one's stepmother or anyone else down some steps is the wrong thing to do and no one is making any excuses for that incident. I think it's the case that they forgave each other and put their differences behind them. At the end of the day, you're family and you move on.

Personally, I have seem family members do some very crazy things to each other in heated arguments. One minute they arguing and fighting and the next they are the best of buddies, that's family for you.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-10-2014, 11:00 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Completely agree COUNTESS. But this story is not in fact new. I remember reading it during the period after Diana's death, when Mark Bolland was hired to manage Prince Charles's p.r. and was working like a busy little beaver to makes Charles and Camilla more palatable to the (then) very hostile British press and public.

The source was of the story even then was...wait for it....PENNY JUNOR.

I wonder if Penny is including in this most recent book how Camilla Parker-Bowles assisted The Sun's editor for ten years from 1982 to 1992?
Old 09-10-2014, 11:09 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I agree with you that pushing one's stepmother or anyone else down some steps is the wrong thing to do and no one is making any excuses for that incident.

Personally, I have seem family members do some very crazy things to each other in heated arguments. One minute they arguing and fighting and the next they are the best of buddies, that's family for you.
Dman, I'm sorry that your family has these problems. All families fight and argue, but domestic violence is always inexcusable. In the United States, people can call 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) for help finding shelter and counseling.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:11 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hathaway View Post
I wonder if Penny is including in this most recent book how Camilla Parker-Bowles assisted The Sun's editor for ten years from 1982 to 1992?
I've heard this story before. Sometimes it is the Sun and sometimes it is the Express. The vast majority of royal watchers acknowledge that the Duchess of Cornwall has never talked to the press. Unlike Diana, who was in constant contact with people like Richard Kay.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
Dman, I'm sorry that your family has these problems. All families fight and argue, but domestic violence is always inexcusable. In the United States, people can call 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) for help finding shelter and counseling.
US Royal Watcher, I did not say that my family has gone though this nor did I mention that we need some professional help. Don't try to turn this around on me and make it seem like I'm a victim of domestic violence within my family. Don't get it twisted.

I said that I've seen families go through ups and downs with each other and then can go on to be friends and buddies the next day. What Diana and her family went through is something a lot of families go through. If help is needed, some seek it and some don't. It seems like what Diana and her stepmother went through was a little incident and no one was harmed in the process. They moved on long ago and so should we.

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
I've heard this story before. Sometimes it is the Sun and sometimes it is the Express. The vast majority of royal watchers acknowledge that the Duchess of Cornwall has never talked to the press. Unlike Diana, who was in constant contact with people like Richard Kay.
Camilla had her friends do the dirty work for her. Her hands were just as dirty as Diana's.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-10-2014, 11:47 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher
I don't care if Diana made appearances for charity or said she cared about other people--pushing her stepmother down the stairs was a bad thing to do.
I dont understand what do you mean here. Are you implying if someone ever did something wrong, no matter what was the reason, these people are forever wrong person?

Diana's stepmother have forgiven her. They even became really good friend at the end. That told a lot about her step mother, but also a lot of Diana. I dont think her step mother would forgive a unrepenting person, right?

Closed Thread

Tags
bridesmaid, dance, diana princess of wales, pregnancy, princess diana, princess diana lady spencer, style