The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 08:47 PM
Serene Highness

Perhaps saying that a boy did it was used as a diversion tactic. I don't think any child was involved with this. None of this made sense to me as why a child would be making calls to numbers that they would have no access to and it would have been traced back to them and certainly someone would have paid their parents a visit about the calls.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

What is interesting, is being found guilty without any real evidence. And that this should matter at this time. Assuming, is also a risk. Why a child. Why not a malevolent adult. Not Diana. If you do something and have to admit that you are open for others of doing the same and you have little defense.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:11 PM
Nobility

Actually after the divorce Diana said it again she didnt know how to use the parking meter. The foolowing is her hair dresser Tess's recall

"She said, 'I felt that I had to live in the real world. I dont know how to fill up my car with petrol or how to work a parking meter. I had to learn this and a whole lot of other things all over again."

She knew how to use these stuffs before 1979 doesnt means she knew how to use them in 90's. Things changed very fast. That is why she said she had to learn them AGAIN.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:13 PM
Serene Highness

Countess, I'm not sure I understand your comment. Are you saying there was no evidence against Diana or are you saying that Diana had no evidence against the child?

I guess I think it is beside the point. If my child had been caught making 12 nuisance calls to someone (uncommon now because of caller ID) and tried to tell me that another person was responsible for some of them--my response would be to tell him that even ONE call was one too many.

Diana was in her thirties. There is no excuse for a 30+ woman to make hang-up calls or stream abuse over the phone. She made it worse by publicly dragging a child into it. Even if the child had made some of the phone calls, she should have taken responsibility for her own actions and kept the juvenile (who had an excuse to be childish) out of the national interview. That is the point here.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:14 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbrida View Post
Actually after the divorce Diana said it again she didnt know how to use the parking meter...
Using a parking meter or a phone box is hardly rocket science. Diana wasn't that stupid.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:02 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
Diana was in her thirties. There is no excuse for a 30+ woman to make hang-up calls or stream abuse over the phone. She made it worse by publicly dragging a child into it. Even if the child had made some of the phone calls, she should have taken responsibility for her own actions and kept the juvenile (who had an excuse to be childish) out of the national interview. That is the point here.
This statement basically says it all. This is also a woman that made the world think of her so much as a victim of the "three in the marriage" drama but she had no qualms about inserting herself into someone else's marriage.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-09-2014, 10:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Sorry, Moonmaiden. I totally misread your post and stand corrected.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:00 AM
Imperial Majesty

Diana was no angel but what Penny Junor is coming out with in her book looks like another slam against Diana. It must make people like her feel good to do that.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-10-2014, 02:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

Junor is not coming out with anything new. This was all reported at the time but Diana's fans simply can't stand to hear the truth about Diana.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:32 AM
Majesty

Not sure which Diana fans you believe "can't stand to hear the truth" but I can assure you I'm not one of them.

Weighing the entirety of her life in full, I still believe that the good she did here on Earth far outweighs any bad. The families of the dying patients she cheered and comforted at those hospices don't care that she made those nuisance calls, and the men, women and children who are alive today due to the influence she lent her voice to the anti-landmine campaign don't care about her ugly divorce or her adultery.

What I find baffling about Diana detractors who agree that she had serious emotional/mental problems is the way some of you seem to believe she could have managed her behavior through an act of will.

I liked and admired, and rooted for the princess while she was alive, even though I found some of her behavior indefensible. That has not changed.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Junor is not coming out with anything new. This was all reported at the time but Diana's fans simply can't stand to hear the truth about Diana.
I'm a Diana fan and will always be and I can take the truth about Diana. As I said before, Diana was no angel, but to continue to slam Diana's name and memory over and over again is just tasteless and it says more about people like Penny than Diana. The drama over what happened during those years have been racked and combed over many times before, why continue to bring up all that drama again and again? the authors still want to cash in on it. I think people like Penny take a great deal of joy in Diana's unhappy years and at the end of the day it fills their pockets and the dead is spit upon in the process.

Want to write a book? fine, but have a heart and think about those who she left behind. It can't be easy for her children and families to see and read the mess people write about the person they loved and mourn to this day.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-10-2014, 02:38 AM
Majesty

I completely agree Dman. How lucrative for Junor that Diana was so dysfunctional, messed up and is now conveniently dead.

It's earned her a fortune.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I completely agree Dman. How lucrative for Junor that Diana was so dysfunctional, messed up and is now conveniently dead.

It's earned her a fortune.
It's just the kind of stuff that sickens me. It's very easy to go on writing endless books, giving endless interviews and writing endless articles about about a person that's no longer here to defend herself. People feel like just because you're a fan of Diana's that you can't take and don't want to hear the truth. We all know that Diana made some mistakes in her life but she was human and humans make mistakes.

I take into account that Diana and her husband was going through a very rough and tough time in their private life. During those years of hurt and pain, they did some very childish things and weren't in their best state of minds at the time. That's just the sad reality of infidelity, separation and divorce in a marriage and family life. Their's were played out in the media; which made everything worse. To go on and cashing in on their painful marriage over and over again is just disgraceful.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-10-2014, 03:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

Diana is an historical figure and books will be written about her for centuries to come.

Get used to it.

Junor, of course, had access to many of Charles', William and Harry's aides for this book as well so it is as close to an authorised biography as we will get - just as was the case when she wrote a similar book two years ago for William's 30th. She had the approval of KP then and again now as the staff have been permitted to talk about the princes to her.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:30 AM
Nobility

Another thing I am suspicious is the press seems knew a lot of things which should be quite beyond their knowledge.

Besides the unknown mysterious source behind the pay phoned call, the press also knew a lot of private conversation which should be exclusive to the other people, and they stated this information without referring to any source, as always. One of the example is

Quote:
On March 14, Hoare had coffee at Kensington Palace with Di after a "kiss-and-make-up" dinner and, according to The Sun, later phoned Charles "to report that the meeting had ended amicably."
Such thing can only be known to the three people involved, Diana, Hoare and Charles. How come the press would get to know this? Who was the source?

Also the conversation between Diana and Richard Kay was so detailed that, you wonder whether these two people were talking in front of a journist.

Not only this article, a lot of (bad) thing has been writen about Diana that make me extremely courious what the hell the author would be able to know these private things.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:35 AM
Majesty

Diana was bugged by the media. Also Charles and Camilla were bugged (remember the taped conversations). Diana also sought "friends" amongst staff, which is never a good idea and probably was a blabbermouth against "friends" with crystal balls, tarot cards and "lifelines" in whom she placed too much trust. These "friends" on their turn blabbermouthing to their respective friends and voilà... the snowball is running downhill.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:16 AM
Nobility

Diana was bugged? I think that was one sympton of her paranoid, right? Isnt it what the press always told us?
How convient it is to use this as an execue right now?
Old 09-10-2014, 05:21 AM
Nobility

Penny Junor is a lier. One example is from her book "Prince William, born to be king", she stated that Diana got very angry about Tiggy for risking Harry's safty by allowing him to be hanged down a water dam with merely a rope on his waist. But this incident happened in 1998, how could Diana got angried with that.

And when she was stating in her book how bad Diana was, she must feel convinient to forget to tell the story that in 1997 Diana had tried to invite Tiggy for lunch to reach a reconcilation. And of course she would forget to quote the following words of Diana to her friend.

Quote:
Bowker said she also overcame her dislike of Tiggy Legge-Bourke, the assistant to Charles who looked after Princes William and Harry when they were with their father. Legge-Bourke's description of the boys as "my babies" angered Diana, but Bowker said Diana recently confided to her: "She is devoted to the children and they are.devoted to her. Because she gives them happiness, I now accept her."
Old 09-10-2014, 05:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbrida View Post
Penny Junor is a lier. One example is from her book "Prince William, born to be king", she stated that Diana got very angry about Tiggy for risking Harry's safty by allowing him to be hanged down a water dam with merely a rope on his waist. But this incident happened in 1998, how could Diana got angried with that.

I have just re-read that section of the book and it doesn't mention Diana at all - she says Charles was 'apoplectic' not Diana.

It followed the chronological telling of the story of how the princes put on his 50th birthday party event and invited Camilla along.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:09 AM
Majesty

I think many people are confused about this book. So far there is nothing new reported, it's just that there have been so many books about the BRF and Diana in particular that they either haven't read them all or have forgotten what was once "News!".

Like it or not Diana opened that door herself and was totally unable to control the flow of information. It is awful that now, in the wake of the phone hacking debacle, when talking about the notorious phone calls reported by The News of the World, you have to know they knew what they were talking about, they weren't just just hacking voicemails but illegally obtaining phone records. So no proof provided but they were right. They had broken the law in many different ways and their victims were the great and the good at that time, high profile royals, celebrities, and politicians.

Diana herself provided an absolute shocker by way of taped sessions with her voice coach, Peter Settelen. To say that she was unbelieveably indiscreet is an understatement. He wasn't her therapist or her friend, and yet she found a ready ear. Chucking her nanny's engagement ring down the drain was the least of it, she was after all, a child. Not so when she shoved her stepmother down the stairs:
Quote:
"My stepmother and I ended up having this row. And I pushed her down the stairs. Which gave me enormous satisfaction. My father didn't speak to me for six months. I had to go back and say, you know... I love you daddy, etc, etc.[B] I was so angry. I wanted to throttle that stepmother of mine because she brought such grief.
Who does something like that, this was not a child, this was a woman in her late 20's. The utter lack of sympathy or empathy was, quite simply, chilling, when she related the story to Settelen, in her early 30's.

Diana: Her True Story was lambasted as a wild speculation by an ardent admirer, Andrew Morton. So much of it did not make sense or was so fanciful and in some place simply and easily proved as untrue.
Quote:
The princess detailed apparent attempts at suicide by hurling herself down a flight of stairs, slashing her chest and thighs with a penknife, cutting her wrists and throwing herself into a glass cabinet at Kensington Palace.
No one recalled her hurling herself down the stairs, there were no bruises, cuts, blood, scars, so it made sense that it was bogus and considered by many as fiction. How could he know such things about her private life. There were allegations, staunchly refuted, that Diana had a hand in the writing of the book, allegations that were proved correct after her death when the book was republished by 'Noah' with the new title, Diana: Her True Story - In Her Own Words. And yes he had proof, 90 minute tapes and galleys with her annotations. As to the veracity of the book, that immediately became even more suspect.

I personally, have never believed she hurled herself down the stairs. Not being able to nail an exact time frame, and depending on when she hurled Raine down the stairs she either knew death was not gauranteed because she didn't die so Raine wouldn't either or Raine didn't die so she mightn't either. But in 2012 light was shed by Raine, hearing that two letters from Diana to her, written before her marriage, were about to be sold at auction. Raine notified the Auction House that the letters were obviously stolen. They were returned to Raine. But, what was seen in the auction advert was enough to see a warm and affectionate rapport between these two women. Go figure.

I note these two incidences of Diana's behaviour to illustrate that the Settelen tapes were more than a little disquieting and Mortons book was, at times malicious. Both have her signature, her stamp of authenticity by voice or by hand. It is not nice reading and, if you care to dig, there is an enormous black sucking hole of more of the same, dozens of books, countless articles etc. ad nauseum. The (several) Inquests provide even more uncomfortable evidence both for and against Diana. To attack Penny Junor for writing about Harry's mother in her biography of Harry at 30, is pointless.

Truth about Diana and 'Acid' Raine | Express Yourself | Comment | Daily Express

Read more: Diana tapes: My troubled childhood | Mail Online

Tags
bridesmaid, dance, diana princess of wales, pregnancy, princess diana, princess diana lady spencer, style