The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-22-2014, 04:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

Diana could do it when she wanted to. She didn't always want to. Search for "Princess Diana in South Korea" on youtube and you'll see her when she didn't want to. (I tried to post a link to it but it brought up a youtube screen not a link, and I don't think we're allowed to do that.)

Old 03-22-2014, 05:15 AM
Majesty

The royals are pretty good at hiding their feelings. When Diana and Charles embarked on their official trip to South Korea, many people noticed that something happened on the plane during their flight. No one knows what happened but the minute they stepped off the plane, Diana and Charles were in a bad mood and that mood lasted throughout the trip. They hadn't been in a mood like that on an official trip before and many of the royal reporters and correspondents noticed it.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 03-22-2014, 07:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

Well it was very obvious. No-one could possibly have missed it.

And it was only right and proper that everyone was able to see what everyone had guessed at for so long, for the marriage was ultimately a disaster and it was high time to end it and for both of them to move on and try and find happiness elsewhere. Unfortunately Diana was not to live long enough to find her happiness. I wish she had have been able to find it. I never wished her ill.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

Same here; it's sad that Diana hadn't much happiness in her life. She had her adored sons, and the love of strangers.
But that wasn't enough for her.

I don't think she would have ever truly found happiness, though. She demanded too much and had such high expectations; I doubt anyone could meet them for long.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:35 AM
Majesty

I think had Diana lived, she would've gone on to find just what she had been longing for. Perhaps she found it in her new life beyond this planet but I would have been nice for her to find it here.

Whomever she would've found here, the man would've needed to have it together. Only a man who's secure in his own life and career would be able to take Diana on. I was too young for her but I know I would've given it a go if I had a chance.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 03-22-2014, 12:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Yet she seemed to be fine when Charles wasn't with her. The body language during joint appearances during the 90s is painful to watch. They actually seemed to be trying to ignore each other. They did better on solo engagements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Diana could do it when she wanted to. She didn't always want to. Search for "Princess Diana in South Korea" on youtube and you'll see her when she didn't want to. (I tried to post a link to it but it brought up a youtube screen not a link, and I don't think we're allowed to do that.)
Old 03-24-2014, 03:02 AM
Nobility

Diana: 'Diana changed clothes in front of me and asked me if I minded': The stunning portraits of the Princess of Wales, Joanna Lumley and Joan Collins | Mail Online
A photographer's recollection of working w/ Diana (and others.)
Old 03-25-2014, 01:37 PM
Heir Apparent

I love Jemma's photos of Diana. And the story about the little girl with cancer made me cry- so her.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:30 PM
Serene Highness

When Prince William was born, his maternal grandfather, Earl Spencer, declared to reporters: "The baby is lucky to have Diana as a mother." Princess Diana's close friend, Rosa Monckton remarked, "Diana would have been the most fantastic grandmother."
Old 04-04-2014, 02:17 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm sorry, but what do quotes such as the one reported to be from Rosa Monckton . . . "Diana would have been the most fantastic grandmother" have to do with different facets of Diana.

Bottom line, we have no idea whatsoever what type of grandmother Diana would have been 17 years after her death. We might like to believe this but she could have not been the grandmotherly type at all or she could have seagued into the quintessential earth mother.

We can speculate but that does not make it a facet of Diana.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:16 PM
Heir Apparent

I've been rereading my old ROYALTY magazines from the 90s. All the facets of Diana are there, from the publication of Morton's book to her death. It makes for hard yet oddly nostalgic reading. There was Diana in her beauty and humanity, making charity appearances and fighting landmines. Then there was the other side: the initial suspicion and then confirmation that she was the source of HER TRUE STORY; the Hewitt involvement and letters; the obsessive calls to Oliver Hoare and then the pictures of her meeting Richard Kay to deny the allegations; the trips to Welsh rugby matches with her sons and then the news coming out about her relationship with Will Carling; the devastating and unwise Panorama interview. So many of the different sides of Diana were there. She was certainly a more complex character than we expected her to be during the early 80s.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:23 PM
Majesty

Well, there are many sides to all of us.
Due to her marriage, Diana went on do so many great things and did a pretty good job in her royal role and as a mother. It was her private life that sucked and was a mess. I'm sure she wished none of that ever happened.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-12-2014, 02:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Oh yes, Diana and Charles loved hitting the dance floor together back in the day. Charles don't dance much anymore but he can actually move.
Huh? Really? How do we know whether or not he does. We don't have any photo's of royal engagements at BP or Balmoral or any private functions. It speaks to the change in lifestyle that there are no photos of William and Catherine dancing during their long Australasian tour or their Canadian tour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
She would tower over them no matter if she went without shoes...the shoes she is wearing in the photo are regular heels IMO...certainly not high by any stretch.

LaRae
You have to remember that sky-high stilettos, a la Catherine, were not in vogue back then but Diana's were often on the high side of the trend.

I find it interesting to look at the different facets of Diana and am a little confounded that some feel she was more complex than expected at that time. I would have to disagree. She was no more complex than many, many other people. It is just that her story, her life, was spewed all over the media. She opened a door thinking she was in control and that was it. She unwittingly made herself public property and had zero control over the ensuing train wreck.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, I think you're right, Marg. She was briefing the press as early as during her courtship with Prince Charles. She posed for Arthur Edwards before anyone in the wider public even knew who she was (at a polo match during the summer of 1980) and had long chats with James Whitaker that fall. For the first couple of years that she was in the public eye, she got enormously good press. Perhaps this gave her reason to believe that the photographers and journalists would always be on her side and support her--and, though them, the public.

As proof, I highlight this: " In 1980, he was told Charles had brought a girl called Lady Diana Spencer to a polo match. I had no idea what she looked like, so I walked round the park and saw this girl wearing a D necklace, and I asked if she was Diana Spencer. She said yes, and posed for a picture.He checked with the office and was told she had only just turned 19." From this article: <http://www.essexlifemag.co.uk/people/a_royal_engagement_1_1643938>

Re her talking to James Whitaker: "In December 1980, I remember an astonishing late evening when I called round to see Diana at her flat after being tipped that there was an engagement announcement imminent.

I talked to Diana for a long time about the situation. She would not commit herself to anything, but she assured me that marrying into the Royal Family would not be a problem for her.

She made it clear that as the girl who was literally brought up next door to Sandringham House (as a child she lived at Parkhouse on the Estate) she was used to the Royal Family.

When I pressed her to guide me whether there was to be an engagement even as soon as the next day, Diana urged me to be cautious.

I did not write the story."

<http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/princess-dianas-life-and-death-obituary-1282386>

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
She unwittingly made herself public property and had zero control over the ensuing train wreck.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:51 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Huh? Really? How do we know whether or not he does. We don't have any photo's of royal engagements at BP or Balmoral or any private functions. It speaks to the change in lifestyle that there are no photos of William and Catherine dancing during their long Australasian tour or their Canadian tour.
MARG, I meant to say is that we don't see Charles really hitting the dance floor "publically" as he used to. He can really move when he wants to though.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-12-2014, 07:53 PM
Courtier

Charles and Camilla danced publicly on November 16, 2012 while in Christchurch NZ.

Video: Prince Charles and Camilla in New Zealand dance off - Telegraph
Old 05-12-2014, 08:32 PM
Majesty

lol, I remember that video. There he's just fooling around but he can get down when he's good and ready.

Dr. Maya Angelou

Tags
bridesmaid, dance, diana princess of wales, pregnancy, princess diana, princess diana lady spencer, style