The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 09:59 AM
Nobility

I've forgotten, so I'm not sure, but doesn't the article say that Diana gave Oprah the rich version because she knew Oprah likes rich food? If so, that's fine, and if Diana did it with a generous heart, that's fine, too. What isn't fine is that Diana lied to Oprah. She could have told her that they were eating different versions of the same thing and let Oprah make her own choice. Oprah might have found it okay and maybe even funny, but what Oprah probably wouldn't have found okay was the lie. She has made it clear more than once on her show that she doesn't like being lied to.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:25 PM
Royal Highness

One of the things I was taught growing up is that if one is a guest, one never asks for something different than what is being served, or what is already on the table. To me, the same would ipso facto apply to the hostess; you don't serve two different meals unless there is a full understanding that this is what is going on.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

She didn't lie to Oprah, unless Oprah, specifically asked for certain things to be omitted. And, has anyone heard from Oprah on the "horrible" incident" or is this just a bunch of BS to sell a book, by someone who cannot be refuted, because the party attacked is dead? Diana had many faults. But she cannot defend herself. The attacks on here are senseless and without real evidence.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:14 PM
Majesty

Darren McGrady, who was Diana's chef back in the day, told this little story but he wasn't attacking Diana at all. The story was a humorous memory that Darren have of Diana inviting Oprah Winfrey to Kensington Palace. Some people have tried to turn the story around to make it seem like Diana did something terrible and insensitive to Oprah and that wasn't the case at all.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 03-11-2014, 11:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Darren McGrady, who was Diana's chef back in the day, told this little story but he wasn't attacking Diana at all. The story was a humorous memory that Darren have of Diana inviting Oprah Winfrey to Kensington Palace. Some people have tried to turn the story around to make it seem like Diana did something terrible and insensitive to Oprah and that wasn't the case at all.
If this is so, think Darren McGrady has a strange sense of humour and is naive. No-one's trying to turn the story around. The facts, if we are to accept that McGrady has correctly stated them, speak for themselves.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Please note that all off topic posts related to the Charles/Diana/Camilla triangle (i.e. whose to blame, who cheated first, the War of the Waleses, the Shand family, etc.) have been deleted as off topic.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
She didn't lie to Oprah, unless Oprah, specifically asked for certain things to be omitted. And, has anyone heard from Oprah on the "horrible" incident" or is this just a bunch of BS to sell a book, by someone who cannot be refuted, because the party attacked is dead? Diana had many faults. But she cannot defend herself. The attacks on here are senseless and without real evidence.
I was taught that the sins of omission are just that, sins. I was also taught that half a truth can be more of a lie than an outright lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Actually I believe that she did and it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
If this is so, think Darren McGrady has a strange sense of humour and is naive. No-one's trying to turn the story around. The facts, if we are to accept that McGrady has correctly stated them, speak for themselves.
Exactly. It seems that some people really enjoy the type of humour that has someone slipping on a banana skin, falling, breaking an arm and being badly concussed. Anything less than that seems to be considered no harm, no foul. There's comedy that is!
Old 03-13-2014, 08:54 PM
Commoner

I don't think Diana was trying to me mean to Oprah, that happen a long time ago. Memories and facts change, Diana isn't here to defend herself and I haven't heard Oprah saying Yes Diana lied or was horrible to me.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:37 AM
Serene Highness

imo regarding the Oprah-Diana story:
if i assume the story is correct (because this is told by a person who isn't out to 'get back' at Diana), i don't consider the food-swap-without-telling-Oprah lying out of evilness but a result of the eating-issues (and mental issues that go with that) of Diana...
She didn't do it to harm or hurt Oprah, but couldn't see the complete picture of what she was doing because if her own food-fixation.

And if that is the case, Oprah will never consider it lying because she has met many people over the years with various disorders and what that can do to the person themselves and to others around them.
I'm pretty sure that Oprah would mainly feel sorry for Diana...

just my 2 cts...
Old 03-15-2014, 10:27 AM
Courtier

If the tables were turned and Oprah served Diana the high fat, high calorie dessert while Oprah ate the entire low fat, low calorie version, how would have Diana reacted under the exact same circumstance?

Would Diana have remained 'friends' with Oprah? Or would she have cut Oprah out of her life?

How Diana would have treated Oprah, would tell you if it was 'intentional and mean spirited' or just a 'trick'?
Old 03-15-2014, 11:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States

From what I read, Diana could and would cut friends from her "presence" for almost as little as looking at her the wrong way. Her world truly revolved around her and I think most of her considerations were for herself in her private life but put out the caring, compassionate face when in public. Not to say she didn't do good works but it was important to her to have people around her that loved, adored, and looked up to her. It was how she maintained her own self esteem. If someone didn't suit this profile, they were gone.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:18 AM
Majesty

The palaces chefs pretty much cook with fresh ingredients and with the best food, they're not going to prepare anything that's not good for they're bosses and the royals guests. Chances are that the food that was prepared for the Princess and Oprah was very good food and didn't do much to add to Oprah's weight problem.

Its funny how a little humours story like this has been turned around to make it look like the Princess did something wrong and insensitive to Oprah Winfery, when that wasn't the case at all.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 03-15-2014, 06:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The palaces chefs pretty much cook with fresh ingredients and with the best food, they're not going to prepare anything that's not good for they're bosses and the royals guests. Chances are that the food that was prepared for the Princess and Oprah was very good food and didn't do much to add to Oprah's weight problem.
Define "good" in this context. Lots of food that is considered "good" is very high in fat or carbohydrate but is delicious and desirable and just fine if eaten in moderation. Some foods are "good" in general but should be avoided by people with certain conditions, like duck or prawns which are high in cholesterol and bananas which are high in potassium and not "good" if you have hypertension. In any event, the quality of the food is not in issue here, it is the fact Diana had two different versions served and her deception when questioned about it.

Quote:
Its funny how a little humours story like this has been turned around to make it look like the Princess did something wrong and insensitive to Oprah Winfery, when that wasn't the case at all.
Diana deceived Oprah, that is a fact. Some of us believe what she did was wrong and an important indicator of a facet of her personality, and others don't think it was wrong or are inclined to trivialise it. Please do not trivialise the opinions of those of us who consider it was wrong by implying that we have no valid foundation for our views. The foundation is there, it's just that some of us give different weight to the same facts.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:14 PM
Heir Apparent

I think Dman meant good as in expensive, the best on the market.
I am not intending to trivialize opinions when I say this. I respect everyone's thoughts.
I don't wear rose-colored glasses. I know Diana wasn't a saint.
She was a human being, with flaws like the rest of us. Indeed, she had a mental illness. In fact, I don't think I would admire her as much as I do, if she wasn't a human being, but a saint.
Yes she had bad qualities, such as acting unkind in private , but always being kind in public( and by the way no one is ever going to convince me that her kindness and good works towards the least fortunate or anyone she met on her charity engagements was an act). but in my opinion, she had more good than bad, and I would rather remember those. What is wrong with that?
Old 03-15-2014, 11:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Define "good" in this context. Lots of food that is considered "good" is very high in fat or carbohydrate...
Wherever did you get the opinion that potassium is not good for people with high blood pressure? Actually, they often need more potassium because medication make them void more frequently to lower the pressure and rob them of potassium. And Prawns are high in triglycerides not in cholesterol. So while you are a great critic, of Diana, what makes you think these things are accurate?
Old 03-16-2014, 01:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Wherever did you get the opinion that potassium is not good for people with high blood pressure? Actually, they often need more potassium because medication make them void more frequently to lower the pressure and rob them of potassium. And Prawns are high in triglycerides not in cholesterol. So while you are a great critic, of Diana, what makes you think these things are accurate?
Sources such as this: Don't Mix Your Meds with These Foods | Yahoo Health and this Perindopril | Health24
And this: Top 10 Foods Highest in Cholesterol

I realise there is some controversy over the prawn issue, but since the body makes as much cholesterol as it needs without needing any help from diet, if your cholesterol levels are high then it is not wise to eat foods which are high in cholesterol.

And thank you for the compliment about being a great critic of Diana. I do my best.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:05 AM
Serene Highness

Different Facets of Diana

^^previous

The American Heart Association has really good information on this: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Condit...sp#mainContent

Too much potassium (or a buildup of potassium in the body) is called hyperkalemia, which in extreme cases may cause changes in the heart's rhythm: http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides...oms-treatments
Old 03-16-2014, 04:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
From what I read, Diana could and would cut friends from her "presence" for almost as little as looking at her the wrong way. Her world truly revolved around her and I think most of her considerations were for herself in her private life but put out the caring, compassionate face when in public. Not to say she didn't do good works but it was important to her to have people around her that loved, adored, and looked up to her. It was how she maintained her own self esteem. If someone didn't suit this profile, they were gone.

I think the people in her private life got the brunt of her dark side, while the public was the beneficiary of her kindness and generosity. She apparently found it much easier to be be that way with anonymous strangers than to her friends and family.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:32 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Sources such as this: Don't Mix Your Meds with These Foods | Yahoo Health and this Perindopril | Health24
And this: Top 10 Foods Highest in Cholesterol

I realise there is some controversy over the prawn issue, but since the body makes as much cholesterol as it needs without needing any help from diet, if your cholesterol levels are high then it is not wise to eat foods which are high in cholesterol.

And thank you for the compliment about being a great critic of Diana. I do my best.
I bow to you, madam!
Old 03-16-2014, 07:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
I bow to you, madam!
Thank you. Thank you very much. If you're going to be a critic, you want to be a great one.

Tags
bridesmaid, dance, diana princess of wales, pregnancy, princess diana, princess diana lady spencer, style