The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 11:54 AM

There comes a time though where you just have to grow up and stop blaming everybody else and work on yourself to stop causing misery for everybody involved including herself, she would've just let go and found a way to get peace but she actively refused it. Im not saying it wouldve been easy but she was in her 30's for crying out loud. She should have spent that energy on improving herself rather than destroying the royal family whos only fault was they didn't quite understand her. I think she wanted to be miserable and wanted to cause hurt.

What else did she have in her life but hatred, bitterness, revenge, selfishness. She was a vicious individual who probably woke up every morning thinking up ways to deeply hurt people and ruin their lives. Diana could get away with it when she was teenager because of her childhood and how she was practically still a child when she married charles but there is a limit.

The fact that she was involved with married men is despicable to me, there is no forgiving that kind of behaviour.

I've gone through every level with diana but I can't find a rational excuse for her anymore. I just hope there were a few times in her life where she was genuinely nice or did something for the good of others with no agenda.

I adore william and harry and people say they are her sons but I think charles and the queen made them the great guys they are. I don't want them to get hurt but I don't feel that bad when people come out with more things about diana. Hopefully the sainthood and victimisation of diana and the vilification of the royal family ends.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:18 PM
Gentry

I agree 100% with you.
The Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry are who they are thanks to The Prince of Wales, The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Royal View Post
I agree 100% with you.

The Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry are who they are thanks to The Prince of Wales, The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh.
Actually I think who they are is the result of both parents. If there was one thing that Charles and Diana were good at together, it was raising their boys. Of course, like any parents, they made mistakes and had blunders along the road but they both sincerely loved their boys and they knew that.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:06 PM
Majesty

As it's been said over and over again, NO, Diana wasn't a perfect person and she did and said things that wasn't right, sometimes, not all the time. She went through a bad marriage, separation and divorce. There was drama involved in both parties and both was at fault for doing stupid things.

Diana was a good mother and the two main people who will tell you that is William and Harry. They're not telling us that to make their late mother look good, but because that's the truth. She loved those two boys with all her heart and she told them this on a daily bases. Yes, I'm sure the fallout of the marriage was hard on William and Harry and I'm sure they didn't like seeing their parents go through such a hard time within the later years but none of it meant that their parents wasn't good and loving to them. They just went through a bad time with each other.

Diana and Charles both did a great job in raising William and Harry because they both believed in giving the boys a different upbringing than they had as children. When Diana died, Charles continued to carry out the wishes he and Diana wanted for the boys. He allowed William and Harry to follow their own path in life and not smother them with the stuffiness of palace life. Princes William and Harry not only have major respect for their father, but also of their mother and to this day, William and Harry have gone on to support charities and other work that was an influence from their parents.

We all can agree to disagree from time to time on these forums but I think it's greatly unfair to use your dislike for the late Princess to make all kinds of false accusations about Diana and her relationship with her children.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 01-21-2014, 02:30 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post

Diana was a good mother and the two main people who will tell you that is William and Harry. They're not telling us that to make their late mother look good, but because that's the truth. She loved those two boys with all her heart and she told them this on a daily bases.
Ohhh..why are you making a great deal of this again and again. Of course Diana is a "great mother" and she loves her children a lot.. But what I dont get is what is so important about that..Every mother loves her kids and does the best for them. Why do you need to drum that fact each and every time..That is completely normal and is what normal mothers do.

But hey the real point comes here. There are some things which normal mothers dont do. Only "GREAT MOTHERS" do.. Lemme say what are those..

1. Washing the dirty linen in full media when your son is watching your interview with his classmates, and making him hang his head in shame and embarassment.. NORMAL MOMS NEVER DO THAT.. And dont say William never told this in any interview..he will never say. Because he s not as shameless and brainless and senseless as his mom..

2. Publicly humiliating and derogating the institution which has fed her, given her name and fame, and more importantly, ON WHICH HER SONS FUTURE SOLELY RESTS. By humiliating the worth of the heir she has irrevocably damaged the prospects of William.Again NORMAL MOMS DONT DO THAT. And if not for 15 years of enormous hardwork and PR by the entire BRF, "her" sons future would never have been as secure as it is today..

3. Dragging your sons in front of full media glare, inviting the press from all over the world to just let them splash on front pages pics that show how much you 'love' your sons.. NORMAL MOMS DONT DO THAT..
Dman you are lamenting that DIana has no more PR. Dont worry. She was such a treacherous master of PR that her 4-5 years of PR in early 90s was enough to all for atleast half a century..

4. Making your barely teen son your "rock"..tormenting him with all your emotional frustrations..And proudly proclaiming that to the world..NORMAL MOMS DONT DO THAT..

But truly for the fanatics, she is a "-super-duper-great mom" since she has done so many things which normal moms dont even dream of doing..
Old 01-21-2014, 02:34 PM
Gentry

Oh, how truly well said. Congratulations!
Old 01-21-2014, 02:51 PM
Majesty

Once again, Yes, the fallout of the royal marriage was hard on both the boys because both of their parents were doing dishonest and embarrassing things in the media, it wasn't all Diana's fault and doing as you and others would like others to believe. It was a hard time for their family no doubt but to spread lies about their mother not loving them or that Diana wasn't a good mother is not right and very careless.

I'm not into this idea of praising Diana and trying to make her look like a saint. You guys can take that up with the world's media.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 01-21-2014, 03:40 PM
Majesty

Diana loved her sons - yes.

Diana was not a good mother as she used her sons for her own publicity.

Fortunately for most of their childhood they spend very little time with her or with Charles - about 6 weeks with each parent per year after the separation, and even before the official separation - why - because from the age of 8 they were sent to boarding school.

Diana then made a point of taking them on luxury holidays, taking them to movies they weren't of an age to see (Harry on his 11th birthday she snuck him into a 15+ movie 'because he wanted to see it').

Loving your children is NOT enough to make you a good parent and the emotional abuse heaped on those boys, particularly William, by Diana makes her a bad, but loving mother.

I suspect part of the reason we aren't seeing more of George is that William is determined not to parade him in front of the public as a sign of what a 'great parent' he is, or Kate is and as a reaction to the way he was used as a child to bolster his mother's image. He will never publicly criticise her, and rightly so, but he can act differently and that will say more about his views on her mothering than anything else.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:53 PM
Majesty

I don't believe William and Harry was emotionally abused by Diana or Charles in any way. Yes, the breakdown of their parents marriage was difficult but I think they were okay during the turbulence. I'm sure the love and care their mother and father gave to them was a great comfort and helped them get through it.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 01-21-2014, 03:58 PM
Courtier

Exactly iluvbertie. The good thing about life is we can learn from others and avoid them in our lives.
William is avoiding so many things which their mother did to them. Overexposing kids to media and using them as emotional dumps and as pawns against Charles/RF are things which she did and they had profound effects on both Will n Harry. Of course they wil never say that out.
So they will take care their own kids will not have to go through all that..
Old 01-21-2014, 05:18 PM

...It's sad that her self worth and validation came through men. Shame she...repeated some sort of weird pattern, usually you dont treat people the way you have been treated, she instead wanted to, maybe to make it seem like someone else feels that pain.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:19 AM
Nobility

I'm not sure where this discussion is going but I feel it going towards the C/D/C negativity again..

They were not suited towards each other in terms of temperament and neediness.

They were good parents. Children are a product of both parents- and kids tend to gravitate towards one parent or another depending on where they are in development. The boys loved their mother and she was attentive. As teens and young men they identify with their father. And the loss of their mother has made them closer to each other and their father.

I don't agree with disparaging Diana as a mother. In terms of what she said during the divorce unfortunately in this day and age parents do a lot of mudslinging during divorces. P. Charles said wrong things about Diana during the divorce.

In terms of affairs, no one here was right. Cheating and being dishonest is not a way to get thru marital problems. But people are human and make mistakes. We have no idea who started cheating first or how many people. Does it really matter at this point? They seemed to be trying to grow up and be civil at the end - that is what is most important.

Diana was very complicated. She was beautiful, charismatic, and generous. She was also immature, self-centered, and ill. I think that's why people's responses to her are so extreme.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
And there we have it...

And there it is. If anyone, anywhere doing a research paper on what draws the human attention or what sells or even what humans are most curious about, we find the answer to be sex and scandals.

I find it totally amazing that no matter how the conversation starts, when talking about Charles and Diana in any thread anywhere, it almost always, like bees drawn to honey, ends up focusing on affairs that happened well over two decades ago. Its the focal point by which these two people are primarily judged.

Wouldn't it be amazing to find somewhere that they're arguing the point of which of them had charities that were more far reaching or similar?
Old 01-22-2014, 05:32 AM
Courtier

It is not so much different facets of Diana as a public and a private face.

The public picture of Diana was not the same person as the private Diana. We can see images of the “real Diana” through books written by her private secretary and housekeeper and the private phone calls that were secretly recorded and the videos from private events.

The 'great' mother is a myth. A nanny was always with William and Harry even when Diana was with them.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:49 AM
Nobility

Who doesn't have a public and a private face? I don't speak or do things at work as I do at home as I do with family and friends.
I don't think it's wise to base all of our judgements on disgruntled former staff musings and 'secret recordings'

What is a great mother? What is a perfect mother?
To me a mother is one who loves and tries to raise her kids the best that she can. A mother tries to help their kids reach higher ground than they did. The fact that she had a nanny to help does not take away from that.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Sigh.

The purpose of this thread is NOT to rehash that old chestnut, the Diana/Camilla/Charles triangle.

Closed for moderator review

Old 01-22-2014, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Sometimes it's very much the case of one step forward and two steps back.

Until recently this and other Diana and Diana-Charles related threads made interesting and satisfying reading due to the insightful nature of the posts, the calm and reasoned analysis that members provided, and the overall agreeable atmosphere and tone in which the discussion was conducted.

This particular thread is titled "Different facets of Diana". It is not about speculation, paramours, Palace PR or member's attempts at point-scoring. To bring the thread back to some semblance of relevance to the topic quite a few posts have been edited or removed. Unfortunately there's not much that can be done to overlay what remains with any sense of relaxed, considered and good-natured discussion.

As there's little point in continuing with the current round of tit-for-tat arguments, accusations, speculations and irrelevancies, the thread will remain closed for a while.

Warren
British Forums moderator
Old 03-07-2014, 01:20 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I'm not sure if this belongs here, please feel free to move to the appropriate thread if not.

Quote:
Princess Diana’s former chef Darren McGrady has revealed how she fooled Oprah Winfrey into eating a high calorie meal.
Mr McGrady, who worked for Queen Elizabeth II in Buckingham Palace for 11 years before becoming Diana's personal chef at Kensington Palace for four years, recounts how during a lunch with the TV talk-show host, Her Royal Highness 'pulled a fast one.'
According to the Huffington Post's Rebecca Adams, who interviewed Mr McGrady last month, they were eating the chef's famous tomato mousses when, after a few mouthfuls, Oprah asked: 'Diana, how do you stay so slim eating rich food like this?' The princess replied: 'I just eat small portions and work out.'
Princess Diana's former chef on how she tricked Oprah Winfrey into eating fatty food | Mail Online
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my new group!
Old 03-08-2014, 02:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I'm not sure if this belongs here, please feel free to move to the appropriate thread if not.

Princess Diana's former chef on how she tricked Oprah Winfrey into eating fatty food | Mail Online
This made me smile. :
I have Darren's fabulous book on my Kindle- one of my favorites. He tells the story in the book, doesn't name the guest was. I wondered if it was Oprah. Two of my favorite ladies!
Love Princess Diana's sense of humor.
I also love she volunteered to make coffee for herself. So her.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Now that is just wrong.

Who does that sort of thing?

Well, obviously Diana did. The ruse she pulled on Oprah was mean spirited, and actually quite vicious. If she has eaten the same thing herself it would have been a bit of a joke, maybe. But, she did not. She just sat there lying and obviously having a damned good laugh at Oprah's expense watching her eat food that she wouldn't have eaten under ordinary circumstances.

Dieting, food management, portion control, call it what you will but those who are struggling to lose or control weight, those who are overweight, find all these things hard going. And here's Diana deliberately sabotaging someone who trusted her.

Now that is one cold, calculating, well planned, vicious prank that took quite some execution. I think it showed an unexpected cruel streak caused by jealousy, because yes, I think the Oprah really was more popular than Diana.

That'ts it. I can't think of a single innocent reason Diana did it.

Tags
bridesmaid, dance, diana princess of wales, pregnancy, princess diana, princess diana lady spencer, style