The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 10:01 AM
Courtier

I think The U.S press was mostly positive to mixed at times during the height of the Charles-Diana Separation/divorce and then the last year leading up to Diana death and the week following there was some negative articles . I am not 100% sure as I don't fully remember but hopefully someone on here from the U.S during that time can say.

I think The U.K press did have a different point of View and Perspective then other countries including other commonwealth countries. Kind of like the Lewinsky Affair. The U.S had a different opinion and view on the whole Scandal then the U. k and Australia because he was the President in the Newspapers/Magazines home countries.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:36 AM
Royal Highness

@BritishRoyalist:
Thatīs the same thing I noticed,the news were overly exuberant after Diana got married,they had a lot of positive press while there marriage was seen as a good match, later on there were the ugly "War of the Wales"-years and after the divorce people were either completely against or absolutely adoring Diana. Now it seems as if we have moved to a different way of looking at Diana,a more balanced and less emotional one. We can see both the good and the bad without having to malign either Diana,Charles or Camilla.
For people who were not from the commonwealth it was only a terrible divorce and many were shocked that the fairytale went bad,but for British people it must have been much worse because it had such a devastating effect on the Royal family! I am glad that today it seems as if the BRF has come to terms with the past and everyone has found some happiness, especially now that William & Catherine are expecting their first baby:-)

. Helen Keller
Old 06-27-2013, 10:42 AM
Courtier

I agree with everything you said. To the U.S press they were more 'Celebrities' or they played them mote that way but to the British it was a Future King and Queen and that jade it worse for them
Old 07-29-2013, 10:19 PM

I believe that Diana will always play a role in both Prince William and Prince Harry's lives. She was their mother and they loved her deeply. When you lose your mother, you lose one of the few people who will love you without condition. Their lives will forever be marked as before and after their Mother's untimely death. They will also never know what truly happened that night, nor will they know what their lives would be like now if she were still alive. That has been taken away from them forever. I believe that they will always carry a sadness deep inside their hearts.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Diana was their mother and they loved her very much. They have shown that. And they are celebrities, otherwise they have little use. Today Kings and Queens are just that. They do not reign as Monarchs, they have governments that lead their nations, prime minsters who make the rules with their governments. The Monarchs, except is a few distant places, are controlled by their Constitutions. Charles outspoken opinions, make many uncomfortable. His mother has been wiser. She, of course, has opinions, she keeps them to herself.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:42 PM
Courtier

Actually The Queen hold meetings with the PM where she can say just about anything and the only time she has the chance to express her feelings/opinions. Of course we don't know what goes on at those private meetings or what is said at them, The Queen Obviously cant make them known in public. And only to some in the U.S is the Queen and other Royals seen as a celebrity. And she still reigns.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:47 PM
Serene Highness

We don't see them as celebrities. It's rude to generalize. They certainly don't have a star on Hollywood Blvd. As to press coverage, when Kate and William were in North America, Canadians (justifiably) were far more excited - but does turning out to see them constitute "thinking of then as celebrities"?

The Daily Mail has as much a focus on the Royals-as-Gossip Items as any American rag, in fact, I'd say moreso. And it's not the only British "paper" that has this focus. Nor are People/US magazines entirely owned by (or read by) people in the U.S.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Both boys seem to have been able to move on with their lives. They live in the present and not the past.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:22 AM
Majesty

William & Harry have moved on with their lives but they make sure they keep their mother's memory alive with supporting her charities and doing great things with their own lives. As they usually say, they want to make her proud in whatever they do.

There's a sadness in them no doubt and as they expressed in their 2007 interview, they still wonder about what happened that night in Paris and they don't think they will ever know the truth about those events. It's a pain that endures in them and it was splashed all over their faces during the memorial service, including Charles's. They try to put their best foot forward though.

My thoughts and prayers are always with Charles, William & Harry and their families. Can't be easy for them to experience all this happiness in their current private lives and not have Diana there to actually be a part of it.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 07-30-2013, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Both boys seem to have been able to move on with their lives. They live in the present and not the past.
I believe we all live in the present, however, past experiences strongly shape who we are today. Hopefully, most of us have not publicly experienced such a huge tragedy in our lives. While we do move on with our lives, I know that my heart isn't so cold as to forget my mother or close friends who are no longer with me. They are always a part if who I've become. My losses have also been much more private. Mine are also not internationally historical in nature. I'm glad you have "a stiff upper lip" as my dear English mother always used to stay.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:59 AM
Royal Highness

Thatīs true,I believe that the deep emotions and feelings of sadness are often hidden and unseen by the public. Even if they do suffer they are doing well by not showing it publicly, it is much better to talk about sorrows and sadness with a dear friend or person close to you, the press only exploits a tragedy or emotional breakouts to produce a sensational story. William and Harry both have friends and people they can turn to when they are overwhelmed by their feelings or want to talk about their private life.
I agree with Missymew2, a dear person will never be forgotten, even if they have been dead for a long time. Of course you have to go on with your life and canīt stay in the past, but a loved friend or family member cannot be replaced,you only learn how to deal with not having them in your life.

Diana will remain a source of inspiration and guidance in the lives of her sons,they seem to have inherited her empathy and the ability to "touch" people in an emotional way. She always had this special gift of talking to people and making them feel special, no matter what background, social class or nationality they had. Especially children and people in difficult situations where happy to see her,they are often forgotten and most people act awkwardly around them because they canīt relate to individuals with physical or mental disabilities.
. Helen Keller
Old 09-05-2013, 10:13 AM
Majesty

Diana was 'really spiteful to Charles and had no feelings for him or his family but now he has blossomed again', says Prince Philip's cousin Lady Pamela Hicks:
Princess Diana was 'spiteful to Charles but now he has blossomed again' says Lady Pamela Hicks | Mail Online

The kind of stuff that just make me think about William & Harry and pray for Diana. She was no angle and did and said things she shouldn't have but I feel like some has been disrespecting her memory in many ways.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 09-05-2013, 10:31 AM
Heir Apparent

It is the utter mauvais ton to give such statements. It may appear that Prince Charles runs a campaign to endear himself to future subjects. The late Diana, Princess of Wales, was not a saint or angel. She was just a usual human with bad and good traits.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:42 AM
Serene Highness

Well...
You have to take it with a grain of salt but for once it's a first-hand account from someone inside the BRF, after that, you like it or not.The Mountbattens were always very close to Charles, so this statement is not surprising.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:46 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
It is the utter mauvais ton to give such statements. It may appear that Prince Charles runs a campaign to endear himself to future subjects. The late Diana, Princess of Wales, was not a saint or angel. She was just a usual human with bad and good traits.

Beautifully put Al_bina and totally correct. There is probably SOMETHING of Diana in us all and all I can say of Lady Pamala Hicks view is that she is entitled to her opinion. Personally I find it somewhat biased.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:12 AM
Majesty

No, the statements aren't surprising at all.

I can't even imagine the stuff Diana went through back in the day.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 09-05-2013, 11:15 AM
Serene Highness

Personally, I do not believe any humans are saints or angels, but people still use those terms. I also don't think any one particular religious group has a monopoly on how others use the terms. One aspect of traditional sainthood is suffering, so it's not surprising that for some people who think saints exist, Diana would have worked her way up their list of "saints."
Old 09-05-2013, 11:38 AM
Courtier

At LAST, we have [from an absolutely trustworthy source] an insiders opinion on the poisonous damage 'St Diana' did within the family she married into [along with other families she affected [the Hoare's and the Carling's]

Although her many public good works were laudable as a private individual she cared nothing for the damage she might do in pursuit of her 'happiness'.

The more i learn of her the less i find to admire in her...
Old 09-05-2013, 11:54 AM
Majesty

Everything is so one-sided that it's not even funny.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 09-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Diana was 'really spiteful to Charles and had no feelings for him or his family but now he has blossomed again', says Prince Philip's cousin Lady Pamela Hicks:
Princess Diana was 'spiteful to Charles but now he has blossomed again' says Lady Pamela Hicks | Mail Online

The kind of stuff that just make me think about William & Harry and pray for Diana. She was no angle and did and said things she shouldn't have but I feel like some has been disrespecting her memory in many ways.
What was the point of this article, seriously? Diana is dead, Lady Pamela. Your side "WON". Can you not let the unhappy woman rest in peace now?

Or if that is too much to ask, how about showing some consideration for the feelings of her two very much alive sons?

What a spiteful, pointless interview.

Tags
bridesmaid, dance, diana princess of wales, pregnancy, princess diana, princess diana lady spencer, style